• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Landing Penalty (RCO Lag) & Dolphin Slash Cancel (Video)

Mike2

Smash Ace
I can get this about 1-2 out of every 10 tries(sometimes I'll randomly be able to do it in pairs).

Pretty difficult. But not quite as difficult as I originally thought.

Trillion

Smash Ace
I was a Marth main in Melee. I've been primarily playing Sonic since Brawl came out. Marth has been my secondary since then and lately I've decided that I need to improve my game with him. I have repeatedly been killed more times than I can count as a direct result of being unaware of the Landing Penalty. Thank you. This thread has changed my game entirely and since becoming aware of this, my results have improved quite a bit.

KillLock

Smash Lord
So I was testing this out killing some time and I think I found a decently consistent way of doing this somewhat. I didn't see this particular method in either of the videos so I'll throw it out here. I'd make a video but I lack an SD card and any type of recording gear really.

Anyway. In Haze's video he does a dancing blade 1 away from from the ledge then falls down a bit, uses his second jump to dolphin slash once he's at the specific height. Well this is a bit different and that particular method just gives your opponent tons of time to snap the ledge, lol.

You do DB1 away from the ledge, then immediately Dolphin Slash. It seems DB1 has an interesting characteristic of some sort that makes it so once you do the DB1 and do a Dolphin Slash immediately when it ends(or close to it), instead of Dolphin Slashing through the stage you immediately snap it. It might just be because DB1 brings you to the right height which allows you to snap but normally at the same height I can never seem to snap without the DB1 beforehand.

After doing the DB1(no movement to left or right, just a neutral fall) to Dolphin Slash you instantly snap, if you do it a few times you get the cancel. I've tested it in different angles both with the way the DB1 falls down(moving down towards the left or right for a split second) and how the Dolphin Slash moves to the right or left when moving upwards.

I always seem to get the same result eventually; a cancel. I find that trying to angle the Dolphin Slash at around the 10 or 2 o clock position(directed inwards depending on which ledge you're on) on your joystick helps out a lot and gives more consistency for the cancel.

Doing it this way I find is pretty good because not only is it faster than all the other methods, it also gives you protection with Dolphin Slash and DB1(Somewhat).

Anyways you guys should go ahead and test it out and see whats up, if this particular method wasn't known already.

KirbyIRL

Smash Journeyman
In response to question about DSC working while the ledge is occupied, it's impossible. It seems like the mechanics behind it involve the game registering that you grab the ledge, then somehow it registers that you simultaneously landed on the stage then immediately fell back off. If this is true, it could mean that doing a DSC could cancel RCO lag, which in turn means that in addition to multidimensionalizing your ledge game exponentially it also eliminates a crucial flaw associated with it as well. Someone test this.

Haze~

Smash Journeyman
Dunno if anyone discovered this yet but DSC works on ps1 too..ftw and lol wifitrainingroom.
Also after the dsc you have two options, the one is using the cstick and you will glide away areal from the stage, the second one is using the analogstick to make a swing and it will have you returned ON stage.

Haze~

Smash Journeyman
THAT'S how you do that. Thanks for the info :)
Yeah xD i've been so annoyed i couldnt figure it out so i asked the guy in the other video,
dsc to fair on stage is broken, its that good.

Haze~

Smash Journeyman
Im guessing the strictness of the height means you cant do this out of a DS instant regrab?
/ THAT is how you aim. put that AIM on the sharpest side of the edge. put this / on this < sharpest side, as hard as this is to explain in ****ing text i can say that i am completley certain of the right angle now, to basics if you want to learn this:

DS diagonally towards the edge, i thought it was random at first , no aim DIAGONALLY to the TIP of the edge of the stage. If you aim to low you will grab the stage instead.

If you aim too high you will DS ON the stage, if you get it in the middle you will DSC.

ledgedrop and use your second jump so that you can aim with the mobility,

delay your second to the point where you are certain to make the right choice

DO NOT stress this out , the more you do it the more you fail,

Always be patient with the second jump,

Im saying you will get to the point where you don't even have to delay the second jump almost at all.

The second jump just makes you get the feeling of the right angle actually but make this exersize as SLOW as possible, if you rage at this just drop it, seriously , you do not want your mental strenght exposed to your unconcious at a time like this, you HAVE TO realise when to stop training when you do this or you will get the wrong habits.

hope this helped , deal with the spelling , this was all improvising as you might have noticed, still all is true, good luck!

Envious

Smash Rookie
this glitch actually happens to me alot, and it usually ends up killing me, cuz i dont see it coming, then I try and up B and get stuck under the stage :(. I have also seen this happen with wolf, and fox.

V

Smash Ace
For wolf its called scarring and is actually a staple at for them.

Btw silver marth is sick

:phone:

•Col•

Smash Champion
So.... Should I actually be trying to learn the Dolphin Slash Cancel now? I remember a few years ago when it was discovered, everyone said it was way too hard to pull of consistently... Is it actually possible to do it consistently though>

Nike.

Smash Hero
In theory, it could solve Marth's biggest weakness. But it's unrealistic to do on command. I think Haze has gotten the closest, though.

I made the vid more or less to re-educate RCO Lag to the new beginner marths because it was still a common problem based on their vids.

phi1ny3

Not the Mama
Trela does this a bit with Lucario too for a while now, it helps to get that little extra jump over for some mindgames.

Also, RCO lag is sooooo dumb :p

Top Bottom