• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Landing Penalty (RCO Lag) & Dolphin Slash Cancel (Video)

Nike.

Smash Hero
Because I'm still seeing RCO Lag happening in competitive play in 2011 and us not diving further into the Dolphin Slash Cancel, I thought we could use a refresher on this topic.

Marth - Landing Penalty (RCO Lag) & Dolphin Slash Cancel

If there's anything in the video that's obviously and painfully wrong, I'll re-edit and upload.

Original thread: http://www.smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=252451

New Dolphin Slash Follow-Ups by Haze: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gt-tovvpTqI&feature=feedu

Dolphin Slash Cancel Follow-ups: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r0BbOl_XQoc

Discuss :)

Reizilla

The Old Lapras and the Sea
Neat video. I plan on working on this if I ever plan on practicing again.

Mr-R

Smash Champion
I've tried practicing this before, the timing is just too strict to pull it off consistently

Raziek

Charging Limit All Day
NNID
Raziek
3DS FC
3866-8131-5247
Great video.

But yeah, consistency. It looks like the distance is very strict, and I'm willing to bet this doesn't work on several stages. (Delfino comes to mind immediately.)

Mr-R

Smash Champion
im going to practice this 1/2 hours when i get home

Kuro~

Nitoryu Kuro
The possibilities are so rewarding though. The DSC to bair off the ledge would be great for edgeguarding. And fair . it really looks quite useful.

Mr-R

Smash Champion
I've been trying this for 20 minutes straight now, just got it 3 times which ironicly enough all happened within 1 minute

Nike.

Smash Hero
Great video.

But yeah, consistency. It looks like the distance is very strict, and I'm willing to bet this doesn't work on several stages. (Delfino comes to mind immediately.)
In the description of the the Dolphin Slash Cancel Vid, the guy listed the stages he did it on and one of them was delfino.

Thanks for the props guys.

Haze~

Smash Journeyman
THIS IS SO ****ING HARD AGHHHHHHHH O_O ok im taking a break from this now.

Blacknight99923

Smash Champion
I've been trying this for 20 minutes straight now, just got it 3 times which ironicly enough all happened within 1 minute
I have similar issues relating to tech skill, I fail forever get it right in this spurt fail more then get it semi consistently

that being said I think knowing why this technique works, the conditions involved ect could be important in trying to figure out how to use it(as in learn the timing). I'll talk to the smash lab directly about it.

Espy Rose

Dumb horse.
NNID
EspyRose
Don't forget that if you don't double jump after a sweet spot upB on the ledge, that your horizontal acceleration in the air is terrible.

Reizilla

What? Explain.

Also, does the lag penalty only occur if you sweet spot the ledge?

C.M.X

Smash Apprentice
Really good, dunno whether its worth learning though as it rock hard and only works on certain stages.

Nike.

Smash Hero
I thought about putting that in the vid, but I left it out. What Espy is saying:

-Grab ledge with upb.
-Let go of ledge and let marth fall to the left or right.
-Because of upb, he doesnt move nearly as far (horizontally).

Try it before sing upb and after using it. You'll notice a huge difference in how far marth moves when he's falling.

It might explain why sometimes whenever you get hit off stage and you try to float back to the stage... and you kinda don't move towards it at all and you just fall. And then your like "WTF why iz that hapningggg?!?" Idk if that's the cause of it though, somebody else would have to confirm.

Also, does the lag penalty only occur if you sweet spot the ledge?
No. If you upb without sweet spotting the ledge (you fall down and then grab the ledge or if someone hits you before you land) then you still have RCO lag.

En.Ee.Oh

Smash Champion
you should really correct the actual lag negation of ff-ing an aerial after up-b because you will throw people off

Nike.

Smash Hero
Huh?

All the frame data on the video came from the RCO thread and Shaya. I don't think they would be incorrect :o

xxmoosexx

Smash Lord
Yo Nike. Could you give some quick instruction on how to do the DS cancel and a quick synopsis on what causes the RCO lag in the thread for those who can't watch the video?

I know what causes the RCO lag, but I don't know how to do that DS cancel stuff, because I cant watch the vid(unless its the ledge cancel that makes you grab the ledge faster)...and there may be poor wayfaring souls out there that are in my condition.

Reizilla

I don't see why not. From what I understand, it misses the sweet spot and you slide off the stage. That should happen regardless of whether someone's on the edge or not.

If anything it could lead to epic DSC double jump spike off the ledge.

Blacknight99923

Smash Champion
I think it works by marths feet touching the ground and him grabbing the edge at the same time or something, which is why it cancels RCO lag. I'll figure it out later

Haze~

Smash Journeyman
I always seem to glide away fair when i really want to land it on stage, how do i do this?

Haze~

Smash Journeyman
oh oh think ive got it but please correct me if im wrong, i simply need to delay the fair just a little, gona try it out right now!:)

Nike.

Smash Hero
That was extremely sexy. Def going on the OP.

Neo, if the info on the vid isn't right then what is? I still think Shaya's/RCO thread info is right unless you proved it wrong.

Haze~

Smash Journeyman
That was extremely sexy. Def going on the OP.

Neo, if the info on the vid isn't right then what is? I still think Shaya's/RCO thread info is right unless you proved it wrong.
What's op?

Slimlenny

Smash Rookie
I'm relatively new to brawl and definitely a Marth newbie. I kept having RCO lag during a few matches a week ago and I had no idea why. Thanks for the post ^^ DSC is ridiculously sexy and useful, but pulling it off is equally hard :/

xxmoosexx

Smash Lord
*still doesnt understand how to perform Dolphin Slash Cancel*

Is it just me or is there no explanation on how to actually do the Cancel?

Top Bottom