• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Lancaster Ohio: Friday, December 5th. [Brawl Tournament, Melee SmashFest]

Master WGS

Smash Lord
Address:

702 South Ewing Street
Lancaster, Ohio

Pics of the place from the outside

Inside

Registration will begin at 3pm and end at 4pm. If you won't be there in time for registration, PM me for my cell number so you can call ahead. The tournament itself will begin shortly after.

The room is pretty big, and we should be able to have roughly 6-7 setups (we will need Wiis/Cubes, the setups will most likely be on projector screens) , and the date is gonna be Friday, December 5th.

BRAWL TOURNAMENT RULES
3 stock/ 8 minutes
Items turned OFF
Best 2 of 3 for every match except for finals which will be best 3 of 5

Neutral Stages
Battlefield
Smashville
Final Destination
Yoshi's Island (The new one)

Counterpick Stages
Lylat Cruise
Castle Siege
Delfino
Halberd
Pokémon Stadium 1
Brinstar
Corneria
Distant Planet
Frigate Orpheon
Green Hill Zone
Jungle Japes
Luigi's Mansion
Norfair
Pictochat
Rainbow Cruise

Banned Stages
EVERYTHING ELSE

No stalling or running away to purposely run out the time limit (running out minimal time is one thing, multiple minutes is just ridiculous)

If the timer runs out, the victor is determined first by stock and then by percentage.

Other typical things: BYOC, MetaKnight is NOT BANNED.

Set format:
Players choose characters.*

Neutral Stages will be chosen at random, unless agreed upon by both players.
Players may choose to ban any stage they want for the set.
The loser of the previous match announces the next match's stage from either the Starter Stage List or the Counter Stage List.
The winner of the previous match chooses their character.
The loser of the previous match chooses their character

*Double blind character selection may be called for the first match

Entry Fee
$5 at the door for venue
$10 Tournament entry
Meleefest will be free, but if a mini/independent tournament pops up, fees can be discussed then.

Payout for tournament
1st: 60%
2nd: 30%
3rd: 10%

Pdiamond

Smash Apprentice
Sweet. iv been waiting for another tourney to come around in Ohio. so is it official on the date etc.?

mathos

Smash Champion
Always interested but can't always go. I think I have exams the following week but I'll see what CoK is doing.

Master WGS

Smash Lord
Sweet. iv been waiting for another tourney to come around in Ohio. so is it official on the date etc.?
Date is official, as I've already signed up for that night. If it needs to change, the only way it can be pushed is back, as the owner says they're busy every week before that. I tried to get a Saturday or Sunday, but they have this virtual reality golf thing there every weekend, so they weren't available.

Also, December 5th is my birthday. ;)

Pdiamond

Smash Apprentice
i might be able to bring my dazzle 170 to record some matches. or if we have a tourney I maybe could record the finals.

clowsui

Smash Legend
I'm going to request that you don't apply for Circuit Event WGS, if you were even planning on it...GUNPUNCH! and I are working on getting a venue in Cincinnati for finals.

Master WGS

Smash Lord
I'm going to request that you don't apply for Circuit Event WGS, if you were even planning on it...GUNPUNCH! and I are working on getting a venue in Cincinnati for finals.
I wasn't, so don't worry. I figured with this being the first tourney I've hosted since '04, I wouldn't get enough interest to merit a Circuit Event. :ohwell:

Next Issue: What time is good for you guys? Keep in mind this is on a FRIDAY, so I know many of you probably have work/school. I don't want to start it too late, and I know the owner of the place pretty well, and I don't think he'd want us there past midnight or so.

Pdiamond

Smash Apprentice
i suggest you should at least let people in by 4:30. you dont have to start registration at 4:30 but atleast let people in. oh and you should have brawl. melee is cool to but plz have brawl. lol

Tupac

Smash Rookie
I might be able to get at least 4 people to go if there is a melee tournament, and from my experience HDTVs don't really make a difference but I've seen projectors make a huge difference.

*Edit* actually it might be to far away

Nope

Smash Lord
I think you should have both Melee and Brawl here, whether there is a tourney for either is going to be hard. If just 20 people decide to show up a tourney would run pretty late into the night just for singles with 6-7 setups. (assuming it's double elim) Since it seems the owner doesnt want anyone there much past 12. Either way I will be heading to this it sounds like a lot of fun! You should also offer to wave some if not all of the entrance fee if people can bring an extra TV (at least 15 inch) or Consoles/games to help make a tourney happen (assuming you have enough room). Does the place have enough extension cables as well? maybe 4-5pm registration and a 5:30 startup time if you do end up having a tourney that way it gives people some time to get away from work/school and make it plus 6 1/2 hours of smashing.

wakka444

Smash Ace
I can probably get a few other people to go as well sounds good.
And I have to agree with MHoltz that for a successful tourney you'll need more time and Fridays can be a bit edgy to start early enough and still be out by 12.
I'm up for anything though.

T-800

Smash Apprentice
I am totally up for it as I live like just a little bit away. I may be able to bring a couple other people as well, assuming there'll be a Brawl tourney there. We're that OUGA group that played at Middle of the Ohio II and Seasons Beatings III. You played one of our members, WGS.

I'm definitely pumped for this.

Master WGS

Smash Lord
With the Middle of Ohia tournament being the next day, I'm really leaning towards a 'fest. The thing is with the venue fee, that would mean it would STILL be $5 a head just to get in. Will that be an issue for you guys, because I can change it (if you want) to be a $15 tournament, so someone actually DOES win something...

Also, if it's a tournament, it'll be a standard 1v1 tourney, double elim with round robin pools for seeding. If you guys decide on a tourney, I'll let you vote on which game we play. If the decision goes fest, I'll make sure to have setups for Melee, Brawl, and Brawl+.

For tournament:
If we have a 3pm registration and a 4pm starting time, will that be too early? If you can't be there in time to register, you can pm me for my cell # if you want.

Nope

Smash Lord
3pm sounds good to me! Middle of Ohio is a Melee tourney though so you could get a brawl tourney going with relative ease. Although the questions comes up again if you would have room for more setups to let the tourney go more smoothly and make sure it finishes in time. If this does end up a Smashfest though 5$ venue fee is no problem for me. I would like to see a tourney myself but either is fine!

aquteen

Smash Ace
$5 venue fee is fine with me and i say smashfest

also to those who might be interested I am considering having middle of ohio VI be a brawl only tourney...

T-800

Smash Apprentice
Since Middle of the Ohio V is a Melee only tourney, having this be a Brawl tourney would be a pretty neat complimentary event.

I also think that if there's that big of a division among those who want a tourney and those who want a Smashfest, why not do both? Just dedicate 3 stations to each event, which should be plenty because if only half the people are doing one or the other the numbers should be pretty manageable. If you needed the help with a tourney I'm sure Kiest or I would be more than willing as we've both had past experiences running tourneys.

In other words I'm desperately hungry for a Brawl tourney that I can go to and will do anything I can to try and get one going. Either way I'm going and the venue fee is fine, but for all that driving and stuff I'd love to play in a tourney. :chuckle:

...I think I said tourney like fifty times in this post...

DippnDots

Feral Youth
if it's melee i'll be there, along with some people and a set up. If it's brawl I might show up just to see if my marth is any good, but i'm highly doubtful.

nojoes

Smash Ace
Northeastern ohio will come down with a car of 5 for a brawl tournament, why not have brawl singles and doubles and melee smashfest, kind of like what I do except smash fest for melee opposed to singles tournament.

Master WGS

Smash Lord
Alright, with this drawing ever-closer, I've decided to make the final decision on what's going on.

We'll hold a Brawl singles tournament, with a few TVs dedicated to Melee friendlies. That way people can either come for their competitive Brawl needs, or warm up for the competitive Melee that Middle of Ohio Tournament will shortly be providing.

We're limited to six screens, I believe (mostly projectors, but a couple TVs). Once I actually get down there again later this week (for pics and stuff), I'll be back with more of those gritty details.

Sorry if the prospect of a Brawl tourney and a Melee fest turns you off, but this just makes the most statistical sense to me.

First post will be updated with rules/entry-fees/payouts/etc.

T-800

Smash Apprentice
Alright, with this drawing ever-closer, I've decided to make the final decision on what's going on.

We'll hold a Brawl singles tournament, with a few TVs dedicated to Melee friendlies. That way people can either come for their competitive Brawl needs, or warm up for the competitive Melee that Middle of Ohio Tournament will shortly be providing.

We're limited to six screens, I believe (mostly projectors, but a couple TVs). Once I actually get down there again later this week (for pics and stuff), I'll be back with more of those gritty details.

Sorry if the prospect of a Brawl tourney and a Melee fest turns you off, but this just makes the most statistical sense to me.

First post will be updated with rules/entry-fees/payouts/etc.

Also, you should totally come up with a name for this tourney. Maybe something like "The Lancaster Landmasters".

Nope

Smash Lord
Is there going to be any extra room in this place for more setups if people are able to bring them? or limited to the number provided. Like I said before I will gladly bring a setup if it is needed to run the tourney.

Master WGS

Smash Lord
Is there going to be any extra room in this place for more setups if people are able to bring them? or limited to the number provided. Like I said before I will gladly bring a setup if it is needed to run the tourney.
The number of setups is limited ACTUALLY due to electrical reasons according to the owner. He said the last time they tried to have more, the circuit blew.

However, I still encourage you to bring set ups, as I personally will only be able to provide two Wiis and one GC. For this to run smoothly, I think we're gonna need a little more than that. :D

Top Bottom