• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Pretty in pink or true in blue, Krystal for Sm4sh!

Delzethin

Character Concept Creator
NNID
Delzethin
People, let's not jump to conclusions. Krystal's absence from the codec could've been a red flag on its own, but the fact that Wolf is also absent means there's likely nothing like a Ret Gone going on.

If that's the only version of the codex, it is weird...since up until now the Star Fox ones have always changed based on who triggered it, to ensure we don't have a character showing up both on the battlefield and in an Arwing. It's a strange design choice, but could it've been because Ms. Glidewell and Wolf's VA (whose name is escaping me at the moment) weren't available when the lines for it were recorded?

Last edited:

XenothiumX

Smash Journeyman
Essentially, you're suggesting that Krystal's chances now only exist in the two extremes--whether she's going to be outright DLC in Smash 4, or that she's written out of the series. Nothing in-between.
I'm sorry if I've mislead you. I actually believe it's quite possible that the future outcome may take place somewhere in the middle. What might be something in the middle? Maybe, Krystal doesn't appear as DLC, however, returns in the next Starfox game.

I can only think of two reasons:

1. They want to write Krystal out of the series.

2. They're saving her for DLC, or for some other reason.
Allow me to add a third reason:

[collapse=Reason #3]3. Nintendo is too DAMN CHEAP to hire a Voice actor to play Krystal's part![/collapse]

ImOnlyHereToTalkStarFox

Smash Journeyman
I'm sorry if I've mislead you. I actually believe it's quite possible that the future outcome may take place somewhere in the middle. What might be something in the middle? Maybe, Krystal doesn't appear as DLC, however, returns in the next Starfox game.

Allow me to add a third reason:

[collapse=Reason #3]3. Nintendo is too DAMN CHEAP to hire a Voice actor to play Krystal's part![/collapse]
I really hope the case of Krystal's absence isn't because the voice actor is mia. Didn't someone email her during brawl speculation? Try it again. Lol

TheRandomCities4

Smash Ace
I actually have another thought. It's pretty neutral and innocuous.

What if they just simply wanted to use the Star Fox team from Star Fox 64 3D in the codec alone? That's pretty silly, and really means nothing either way.

I could be putting more thought into something that doesn't even mean anything.

Still, I don't understand why they did it. It's really weird.

I can't provide proof for Krystal's absence. No one can. I've only been providing possible explanations.

Thanks Nintendo for giving us more questions.

What are we even supposed to think anymore?

The pageantry of rping as an ace attorney character is not necessary, but people on Smashboards do it strangely frequently.
Hint taken.

Last edited:

Wolfheart07

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Dragonheart07
People, let's not jump to conclusions. Krystal's absence from the codec could've been a red flag on its own, but the fact that Wolf is also absent means there's likely nothing like a Ret Gone going on.

If that's the only version of the coded, it is weird...since up until now the Star Fox ones have always changed based on who triggered it, to ensure we don't have a character showing up both on the battlefield and in an Arwing. It's a strange design choice, but could it've been because Ms. Glidewell and Wolf's VA (whose name is escaping me at the moment) weren't available when the lines for it were recorded?
I'm going to have to agree with Delzethin on this one, guys. Let's remain calm on this. Doubt that both Wolf and Krystal have been written off of something like this just because of a codec we recently saw in the video. Surely there's more to it than just that. I think we're overthinking this too much. This is Nintendo we're taking about. They are notorious for keeping fans in the dark of something like this and they have done this to their other franchises Besides Starfox. Yes I don't like this as much as you guys. The best to do now is play Smash 4 and find out the rest of it on our own when we play as Fox or Falco in the Orbital Gate Assault stage. Besides, the release date is drawing closer and we should be excited for Starfox Wii U since 2015 is rolling in soon and I'm optimistic to see Krystal and Wolf return in Starfox Wii U since I know they'll be back. Otherwise I would find it being blasphemous of them being written off for no reason. But I doubt that's going to happen for them being killed off despite the huge fanbase that both Krystal and Wolf have. Even Miyamoto along with Nintendo knows better than that.

Anyway, I'm still keeping my fingers crossed for Krystal and Wolf for DLC in Smash 4 because all of us want them in and we know it. Besides, if Krystal does make it in for DLC, it doesn't really have to be Alesia Glidewell (even though I love her as Krystal and use her in future Starfox games). It can be a voice actress to do a really good British accent and there you have it, guys. You know, if Krystal makes it in, I wonder what Palutena would say about her in the temple when you play as Pit and the same goes for Wolf.

IanTheGamer

Smash Champion
I'm going to have to agree with Delzethin on this one, guys. Let's remain calm on this. Doubt that both Wolf and Krystal have been written off of something like this just because of a codec we recently saw in the video. Surely there's more to it than just that. I think we're overthinking this too much. This is Nintendo we're taking about. They are notorious for keeping fans in the dark of something like this and they have done this to their other franchises Besides Starfox. Yes I don't like this as much as you guys. The best to do now is play Smash 4 and find out the rest of it on our own when we play as Fox or Falco in the Orbital Gate Assault stage. Besides, the release date is drawing closer and we should be excited for Starfox Wii U since 2015 is rolling in soon and I'm optimistic to see Krystal and Wolf return in Starfox Wii U since I know they'll be back. Otherwise I would find it being blasphemous of them being written off for no reason. But I doubt that's going to happen for them being killed off despite the huge fanbase that both Krystal and Wolf have. Even Miyamoto along with Nintendo knows better than that.

Anyway, I'm still keeping my fingers crossed for Krystal and Wolf for DLC in Smash 4 because all of us want them in and we know it. Besides, if Krystal does make it in for DLC, it doesn't really have to be Alesia Glidewell (even though I love her as Krystal and use her in future Starfox games). It can be a voice actress to do a really good British accent and there you have it, guys. You know, if Krystal makes it in, I wonder what Palutena would say about her in the temple when you play as Pit and the same goes for Wolf.
Write them

ghastmine

Smash Ace
NNID
ghastmine
So before I prep up for project m 3.5 and smash week next week (basically I hype up smash wii u by playing all smash including project m till smash wii u release) I got 2 things to do
1.finish one last speculation on krystal
2.And finish trying to tell the gta 5 players there buying the same game
Yeah that speculation I'll do later today.

Wolfheart07

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Dragonheart07
Yeah, that can be true. Heck, even a different voice actor with a British accent could work.

I'll still be roaming around on this site even when the Wii U comes out. But I'll probably won't respond to anything unless its big.
Well hopefully we'll get something big on the game for DLC after its initial release that's for sure. Speaking of that, the DLC Pack 1 for Mario Kart 8 is available today and I can't wait to download it soon. That'll keep me busy until Smash 4's release next Friday which first things first is to collect the trophies for all the fighters in the roster for both Classic and All Star. I have a policy in Smash that when I start collecting them, I play with characters from the roster that I have no intention of maining at all to get them out of the way and save my best/favorite fighters for last in which I amp up the difficulty in the game. As for your response there for a voice actress with a British accent who can speak, anyone who can do it would be great for Krystal.

ghastmine

Smash Ace
NNID
ghastmine
Alright here's the speculation I've been talking about and well here it goes (it's gone through a couple of re-types)

So generally here's what I can agree on

·Only one star Fox character will most likely make it
·Krystal is most likely not written out of the series
·Dlc will take a while
·New voice actor is looking possible
·Something will be releated to star fox 2015

So Dlc is our only chance now at this point however this where the odds may ever be in our favor (hg reference) it seems like characters wanted from a series turn out to be something else (example:dr Mario wasn't wanted back) and with the fair amount of krystal haters we might be in shot also after sakurais clone hater rant it doesn't look like he cares what people think of a character. But I couldn't see any other characters or series hints that could suggest a crossover trailer....ah I think I miss the ridley fans....whatever you get what I'm saying but I'll be testing he gamestop demo out tomorrow at gamestop so time to talk to smash fans.

Delzethin

NNID
Delzethin
So Dlc is our only chance now at this point however this where the odds may ever be in our favor (hg reference) it seems like characters wanted from a series turn out to be something else (example:dr Mario wasn't wanted back) and with the fair amount of krystal haters we might be in shot also after sakurais clone hater rant it doesn't look like he cares what people think of a character.
I think you misunderstand. The three clones were essentially a bonus. Sakurai and the gang had a little extra time on their hands a ways into development, but not enough to make a fully original character or even a semi-clone. So they decided to take three characters who started as alternate costumes--Lucina, Doc, and Pittoo--and made them clones. Sakurai's statement about the clone haters was aimed at those who thought they "stole roster spots" or otherwise prevented other characters from getting in.

While that doesn't mean much for us right now, it does mean Krystal wasn't taken out of the running to make room for clones or anything. No one was.

Last edited:

XenothiumX

Smash Journeyman
How long do you guys think it will take before they announce DLC?

The reason being is that obviously they would not announce Krystal as DLC before they announce the Game.
I would say E3 2015 is the latest possible date for them to announce the new Starfox game not to mention the most likely date as well, although, I could see them announcing the game in a Direct early next year.

Nintendo seems to announce the DLC within the range of one month to a few months after a game's release. With that being said, I feel as if we will see an announcement for Smash DLC in January next year after everyone has bought the game for Christmas this year.

What they may do is reveal the next character after Mewtwo and hold off on the rest of the characters, yet let us buy a discount pack that gives us all the characters when they come out for a discount price. In fact, that's pretty much what they've done with Mario Kart, while the 1st DLC pack came out today, we still don't know all the information for the 2nd pack coming out in May 2015. Not to mention, they've sold us the discount pack months in advance before we knew all the information on the 1st DLC pack!

So assuming Krystal is planned for DLC I doubt she will be the first character announced after Mewtwo. One future outcome I believe may be possible is that next year at E3 we will have one or maybe two more DLC characters already revealed after Mewtwo if not revealed on that Day, then the New Starfox game will be revealed and, then in the next Direct we will see Krystal revealed for DLC.

JaidynReiman

Smash Hero
NNID
JaidynReiman

The reason being is that obviously they would not announce Krystal as DLC before they announce the Game.
I would say E3 2015 is the latest possible date for them to announce the new Starfox game not to mention the most likely date as well, although, I could see them announcing the game in a Direct early next year.

Nintendo seems to announce the DLC within the range of one month to a few months after a game's release. With that being said, I feel as if we will see an announcement for Smash DLC in January next year after everyone has bought the game for Christmas this year.

What they may do is reveal the next character after Mewtwo and hold off on the rest of the characters, yet let us buy a discount pack that gives us all the characters when they come out for a discount price. In fact, that's pretty much what they've done with Mario Kart, while the 1st DLC pack came out today, we still don't know all the information for the 2nd pack coming out in May 2015. Not to mention, they've sold us the discount pack months in advance before we knew all the information on the 1st DLC pack!

So assuming Krystal is planned for DLC I doubt she will be the first character announced after Mewtwo. One future outcome I believe may be possible is that next year at E3 we will have one or maybe two more DLC characters already revealed after Mewtwo if not revealed on that Day, then the New Starfox game will be revealed and, then in the next Direct we will see Krystal revealed for DLC.
I'd bet February 2015 or so, they had a Direct in February last year. Also, Mario Kart 8's DLC was announced shortly after E3, so I could easily see them release a bunch of patch content by February, then announce additional DLC then. I do NOT think they'll wait until Mewtwo is released to announce more DLC, Mewtwo is merely the only character who will be free DLC if you own both versions of the game.

But, if I had to be completely honest, I don't think Krystal has much chance of being DLC. I wouldn't be against it, but there's several other characters I think would get in before her.

TheRandomCities4

Smash Ace
I'd bet February 2015 or so, they had a Direct in February last year. Also, Mario Kart 8's DLC was announced shortly after E3, so I could easily see them release a bunch of patch content by February, then announce additional DLC then. I do NOT think they'll wait until Mewtwo is released to announce more DLC, Mewtwo is merely the only character who will be free DLC if you own both versions of the game.

But, if I had to be completely honest, I don't think Krystal has much chance of being DLC. I wouldn't be against it, but there's several other characters I think would get in before her.
For me, it really comes down to who Nintendo would want to use to promote Star Fox Wii U, if they want to use anyone at all. Honestly, that could be any Star Fox character. Or, of course, it could be that will be no DLC characters at all from Star Fox. Jeez, wouldn't that be boring...

I'm kinda tired of seeing only Fox and Falco, y'know... Apparently it's perfectly fine for a lot of people, though.

I wonder how Japan's average discontent for Krystal (at least from what I've seen) comes into play regarding Smash Brothers character selection...

Last edited:

FreshlyBakedCookies

Smash Journeyman
Yeah, and I see both Krystal and Bandana Dee being on the low end of that.
For the moment Krystal may be low, however, lets look at who's she's up against. (Bandana Dee's not a legitimate choice for obvious reasons :laugh: but no seriously he's not! :glare:)

before we make a list we need to eliminate some contenders:

- All Brawl veteran's are not legitimate (with possibly the exception of Snake who's absence may be due to legal reasons being carried out).
Sorry guys! if Sakurai wanted them back he would have brought them back in the original game. I doubt Nintendo would make an unethical business decision to sell them back to us as ransom. If your planning on calling me out on Mewtwo as a DLC character, then I will admit it most certainly can be considered a grey area of morals, however, getting him for free for owning both versions of the game can also be taken as an apology. Also, do you think after Mewtwo everyone who owns both versions of the game can happily expect to sit and wait for the rest of the DLC characters to come to them for free? Snake is the only character I can see them giving to us for free as an apology.

-
Any character who did not make a major appearance (minor appearances don't count!) on a system as recent as the Wii and/or 3DS is not legitimate ( with the exception of the 3rd party characters and the traditional retro newcomer being Duck Hunt Dog for this iteration of Smash)

Look at all the newcomers we got this time around (excluding the exceptions for reasons stated above) and tell me which one of them did NOT make an appearance on the Wii and/or 3DS! They all made an appearance on the Wii and/or 3DS and so will the DLC newcomers! And No... bringing back games on the virtual console does not make a big enough impact nor does it count as redemption for a long lost character of the past.

For the sake of convenience, let us take a look at a well thought out list that has already been made as a DLC poll here on Smashboards:
http://smashboards.com/threads/poll-vote-for-your-preferred-smash-bros-dlc-choices.375784/page-10

Now here's what remains of that list of legitimate DLC possibilities:

[collapse=List Of Legitimate Character Choices]
- Snake

- King K. Rool
( I almost excluded him but then I did remember he had that appearance on Super Mario Sluggers, but even so King K. Rool got in by the hair of his chiny chin chin!)

- Dixie Kong

- Wonder Red

- Inkling

- Impa

- Tetra

- Captain Toad

- Paper Mario

- Medusa

- Hades

- Chorus Men

- Chibi Robo

- Reyn

- Rayman

- Bayonetta

- 4th Mii fighter
[/collapse]
I trust that you can use common sense to figure out who else should be eliminated from that list of legitimate choices. :smirk:

That last reason may have knocked Krystal off the list, but only until the next Starfox game comes out. Then that will put her pretty much near the top of the totem pole if not the top!

Last edited:

JaidynReiman

Smash Hero
NNID
JaidynReiman
For the moment Krystal may be low, however, lets look at who's she's up against. (Bandana Dee's not a legitimate choice for obvious reasons :laugh: but no seriously he's not! :glare:)

before we make a list we need to eliminate some contenders:

- All Brawl veteran's are not legitimate (with possibly the exception of Snake who's absence may be due to legal reasons being carried out).
Sorry guys! if Sakurai wanted them back he would have brought them back in the original game. I doubt Nintendo would make an unethical business decision to sell them back to us as ransom. If your planning on calling me out on Mewtwo as a DLC character, then I will admit it most certainly can be considered a grey area of morals, however, getting him for free for owning both versions of the game can also be taken as an apology. Also, do you think after Mewtwo everyone who owns both versions of the game can happily expect to sit and wait for the rest of the DLC characters to come to them for free? Snake is the only character I can see them giving to us for free as an apology.

-
Any character who did not appear on a system as recent as the Wii and/or 3DS is not legitimate ( with the exception of the 3rd party characters and the traditional retro newcomer being Duck Hunt Dog for this iteration of Smash)

Look at all the newcomers we got this time around (excluding the exceptions for reasons stated above) and tell me which one of them did NOT make an appearance on the Wii and/or 3DS! They all made an appearance on the Wii and/or 3DS and so will the DLC newcomers! And No... bringing back games on the virtual console does not make a big enough impact nor does it count as redemption for a long lost character of the past.

For the sake of convenience, let us take a look at a well thought out list that has already been made as a DLC poll here on Smashboards:
http://smashboards.com/threads/poll-vote-for-your-preferred-smash-bros-dlc-choices.375784/page-10

- Snake

- King K. Rool
( I almost excluded him but then I did remember he had that appearance on Super Mario Sluggers, but even so King K. Rool got in by the hair of his chiny chin chin!)

- Dixie Kong

- Wonder Red

- Inkling

- Impa

- Tetra

- Captain Toad

- Paper Mario

- Medusa

- Hades

- Chorus Men

- Chibi Robo

- Reyn

- Rayman

- Bayonetta

- 4th Mii fighter
[/collapse]
I trust that you can use common sense to figure out who else should be eliminated from that list of legitimate choices. :smirk:

That last reason may have knocked Krystal off the list, but only until the next Starfox game comes out. Then that will put her pretty much near the top of the totem pole if not the top!
So, you're throwing out the DS, even though some characters appeared late in the DS' life cycle after characters like Little Mac (last appearance on Wii) while the Wii is perfectly acceptable? Golden Sun: Dark Dawn was 2010, after Little Mac, and yes Isaac was in the game as well.

Also, King K. Rool appeared in SEVERAL games close to Brawl's release, not just one. K. Rool was in both Mario Super Sluggers and DK: Barrel Blast (2007). DK: Jungle Climber also came out the same year Barrel Blast did, again, on the DS.

Naturally, by your logic as well, Krystal would have to get thrown out since Command was on DS, but also way back in 2006.

Delzethin

NNID
Delzethin
Yeah, and I see both Krystal and Bandana Dee being on the low end of that.
For what it's worth, I think Bandana Dee's chances are actually pretty good. He's an up and comer from a major franchise and has no in-franchise competition and a completely open moveset niche since Smash has no spear or lance wielders so far. He's not a generic Waddle Dee with headgear; he's King Dedede's right hand man and generally pitches in whenever Kirby and Dedede are on the same side.

Not quite. I could see a character or two sneaking in that simply missed the cut like how Mewtwo was the first man out in Brawl. It'd depend on if they were considered important enough to spend the time making, though...especially since Lucas and Wolf are semi-clones and not fully original characters, and they never did get the Ice Climbers problem figured out and would have to risk still not figuring it out if they were to attempt to make them DLC.

I don't see Snake happening. Nintendo and Konami haven't been on the best of terms in the last few years. That, and I doubt they'd jump through the number of hoops necessary for a third party character to be created just to make them optional...especially when, as noted, there's some tension between the companies.

- Any character who did not make a major appearance (minor appearances don't count!) on a system as recent as the Wii and/or 3DS is not legitimate ( with the exception of the 3rd party characters and the traditional retro newcomer being Duck Hunt Dog for this iteration of Smash)

Nice catch there, though. All of the newcomers we got in the vanilla game have been relevant recently, with the lines blurrier with Mega Man and Pac-Man and with the exception of obligatory retro newcomer Duck Hunt. It's why my personal theory is that if they decide to go all out with DLC newcomers, they'll focus on characters who were not relevant when the initial roster was decided on two and a half years ago, but are now.

We've been saying for a while that Krystal's only drawback is her lack of recent relevance, right? Well, by this time next year, that drawback will (most likely) no longer exist.

- Snake

- King K. Rool

- Dixie Kong

- Wonder Red

- Inkling

- Impa

- Tetra

- Captain Toad

- Paper Mario

- Medusa

- Hades

- Chorus Men

- Chibi Robo

- Reyn

- Rayman

- Bayonetta

- 4th Mii fighter
[/collapse]
That list is awfully...subjective. That thread itself isn't the most reliable, considering it includes such scattershots as multiple third party characters, two Xenoblade characters, a character from a franchise that won't even get its start until next year, and Kamek, a confirmed stage element...while not listing a single potential newcomer from Pokemon or Fire Emblem.

I don't know how much seeing how Krystal measures up helps us. If anything, interest already seems pretty high. Now if there was a way to make sure the developers took notice of how well she'd work as a character...

Last edited:

AEMehr

Mii Fighter
The pageantry of rping as an ace attorney character is not necessary, but people on Smashboards do it strangely frequently.

Really? You think so? But I've only been seeing one guy doing it this entire time.

JaidynReiman

Smash Hero
NNID
JaidynReiman
For what it's worth, I think Bandana Dee's chances are actually pretty good. He's an up and comer from a major franchise and has no in-franchise competition and a completely open moveset niche since Smash has no spear or lance wielders so far. He's not a generic Waddle Dee with headgear; he's King Dedede's right hand man and generally pitches in whenever Kirby and Dedede are on the same side.

Not quite. I could see a character or two sneaking in that simply missed the cut like how Mewtwo was the first man out in Brawl. It'd depend on if they were considered important enough to spend the time making, though...especially since Lucas and Wolf are semi-clones and not fully original characters, and they never did get the Ice Climbers problem figured out and would have to risk still not figuring it out if they were to attempt to make them DLC.

I don't see Snake happening. Nintendo and Konami haven't been on the best of terms in the last few years. That, and I doubt they'd jump through the number of hoops necessary for a third party character to be created just to make them optional...especially when, as noted, there's some tension between the companies.

Nice catch there, though. All of the newcomers we got in the vanilla game have been relevant recently, with the lines blurrier with Mega Man and Pac-Man and with the exception of obligatory retro newcomer Duck Hunt. It's why my personal theory is that if they decide to go all out with DLC newcomers, they'll focus on characters who were not relevant when the initial roster was decided on two and a half years ago, but are now.

We've been saying for a while that Krystal's only drawback is her lack of recent relevance, right? Well, by this time next year, that drawback will (most likely) no longer exist.

That list is awfully...subjective. That thread itself isn't the most reliable, considering it includes such scattershots as multiple third party characters, two Xenoblade characters, a character from a franchise that won't even get its start until next year, and Kamek, a confirmed stage element...while not listing a single potential newcomer from Pokemon or Fire Emblem.

I don't know how much seeing how Krystal measures up helps us. If anything, interest already seems pretty high. Now if there was a way to make sure the developers took notice of how well she'd work as a character...
Yeah, oddly enough, I am curious why that poll included Kamek. They were trying to leave out stage elements, but failed to leave Kamek out of the equation.

Honestly, the fact remains that there's so many other characters people want above Krystal. That poll right there shows how she ranks on Smashboards. Yes, she's fairly high, but less than 1/4 of everyone who voted in that poll voted for Krystal. And other polls have ranked her similarly, too.

As I stated before the game was out, we still need to get Wolf back before we get Krystal. If Wolf doesn't come back, I don't see any way Krystal will. I also disagree on the notion that cut veterans can't come back after the fact. Thing is, they weren't cut because Sakurai wanted to cut them, but because he couldn't finish them before the game released. I can also plausibly see a couple of newcomers that were worked on who didn't make it to the final game, but I still don't think Krystal was one of them.

At this point we don't even know if Krystal WILL come back in the next Star Fox game. Though I think she most likely will.

IanTheGamer

Smash Champion
Yeah, oddly enough, I am curious why that poll included Kamek. They were trying to leave out stage elements, but failed to leave Kamek out of the equation.

Honestly, the fact remains that there's so many other characters people want above Krystal. That poll right there shows how she ranks on Smashboards. Yes, she's fairly high, but less than 1/4 of everyone who voted in that poll voted for Krystal. And other polls have ranked her similarly, too.

As I stated before the game was out, we still need to get Wolf back before we get Krystal. If Wolf doesn't come back, I don't see any way Krystal will. I also disagree on the notion that cut veterans can't come back after the fact. Thing is, they weren't cut because Sakurai wanted to cut them, but because he couldn't finish them before the game released. I can also plausibly see a couple of newcomers that were worked on who didn't make it to the final game, but I still don't think Krystal was one of them.

At this point we don't even know if Krystal WILL come back in the next Star Fox game. Though I think she most likely will.
Gee thanks Ms. Negative

JaidynReiman

Smash Hero
NNID
JaidynReiman
Gee thanks Ms. Negative
If I think it over, Krystal's probably my fifth-most wanted character at this point who actually has a chance of making it. I can easily see Krystal making it if they add a ton of DLC characters over the next several years, I'm just not exactly sure how much they WILL add.

Ms....?

Wolfheart07

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Dragonheart07

Yeah. I have a feeling that for DLC we could get at least 1 new Starfox character for DLC or if we're lucky 2. I mean look at it, we're getting a new Starfox game for the Wii U next year and doing something like this could help promote the game like if they want to include Fox as a playable guest character for DLC in the future for Mario Kart 8(now that Link and the Villager are going to be in the game which opens up many possibilities for guest characters to make it into the Mario Kart roster that are not from the Mario games. But I have a feeling that starting next year, we're guaranteed to get more information on SF Wii U and the DLC characters that we're going to get besides Mewtwo. That is where I'm hoping that Krystal makes it in as DLC. But to see her for SF Wii U, her chances for that is very likely and good. Otherwise, like I said, she would have been killed off a long time ago along with Wolf. But I highly doubt that she'll get killed off and same with Wolf. Krystal and Wolf has had a lot of screen time in the series more than Bill and Katt to say the least.

Last edited:

Jason the Yoshi

Watching Me, Wanting Me
As much as I believe Krystal DLC is happening, I have a question for you guys.

Do people ever make fun of you guys for being furries? I don't do furry, but the guys I the social thread just won't shut up about me possibly being a furry.

Really? You think so? But I've only been seeing one guy doing it this entire time.
Believe me, I've seen worse repeated gifs and pics like this in the social thread when one of the guys up there got pranked. Not naming anyone just to be safe though.

Captain Hazama

Smash Ace
As much as I believe Krystal DLC is happening, I have a question for you guys.

Do people ever make fun of you guys for being furries? I don't do furry, but the guys I the social thread just won't shut up about me possibly being a furry.
Umm, I haven't been called a furry. At least not yet. But most people only say that only about Krystal. Which I do find odd. How comes they don't say that to fans of Fox, Falco, or even Wolf. So I wouldn't worry so much about what others say, they can believe what ever the hell they want. They're idiots, and want a rise out of you.

JaidynReiman

Smash Hero
NNID
JaidynReiman
Lol, calling fans of Krystal "furry" is stupid, especially when that never applies to anyone else. Ridiculous.

TheRandomCities4

Smash Ace
Lol, calling fans of Krystal "furry" is stupid, especially when that never applies to anyone else. Ridiculous.
It's just a scape goat that people can use to continue the hive mind against Krystal. It allows them to never consider the possibilities.

It just shows how lazy and ignorant they can be.

Especially, as you said, after considering that it apparently doesn't apply to any other characters. It's lunacy.

ImOnlyHereToTalkStarFox

Smash Journeyman

http://www.ranker.com/list/super-smash-bros-4-dlc-or-wii-u-transfer-characters/smashsmash?var=2&utm_expid=16418821-69.nU0NdIugQ6K34Kl1oxGbpg.1&page=1&utm_referrer=http://smashboards.com/threads/mewtwo-support-discussion-thread.367342/page-4
Forget the smash boards poll I like this one better.

Last edited:

Ridley_Prime

Proteus Geoform
NNID
AlphaWarDragon87
3DS FC
0774-4845-6886
Switch FC
SW-7888-8563-5773
On a different site I was called a furry for saying I would've rather had Dixie Kong than like Lucina if they had to add a last minute female clone/semi-clone to the cast, so it's not something just the Krystal fans are labeled as :ohwell:, but still a scapegoat all the same.

Xevious 1

Smash Ace
NNID
Xevious969409
3DS FC
1118-2448-4692
I feel like that is the sole reason on why so many people are against Krystal, is because of the furry stigma that comes with her. That and the fact that she was in the 3 "bad" Star Fox games ( I quite liked Assault)

FreshlyBakedCookies

Smash Journeyman
So, you're throwing out the DS, even though some characters appeared late in the DS' life cycle after characters like Little Mac (last appearance on Wii) while the Wii is perfectly acceptable? Golden Sun: Dark Dawn was 2010, after Little Mac, and yes Isaac was in the game as well.
Boswer Jr. and the Villager are the only newcomers who made and appearance on the DS along with the 3DS and the Wii (not to mention the Villager's default skin is from the cover of City Folk). The late life of the DS has only been represented in smash by stages and assist trophies. If either of them would have made their debut on the DS that would change things.

Now if we're talking about the reason why I didn't include Isaac, despite the fact that he's no longer an assist trophy, we have not seen anything in the 3DS version that comes from the Golden Sun series ( no trophies, stages, music, or other Golden Sun characters who could have been made into possible assist trophies. Nothing at all ). Now there will be more trophies on the Wii U version. It may be possible we will see a Golden Sun trophy in the Wii U version, not to mention that the Norfair stage is returning which had one Golden Sun track, but If we're going to make Dark Dawn relevant, which I suppose it could be considered relevant since it came after the Punch-Out on the Wii. Then I suppose Isaac could be added to the list of legitimate characters but, there's a difference between Legitimacy and Likelihood. At this point in time I can see how Isaac will be more likely than Krystal because Krystal's not legitimate, however, I wouldn't put too much faith in Isaac's inclusion... nor will I put faith in Krystal until Starfox for Wii U is announced.

Also, King K. Rool appeared in SEVERAL games close to Brawl's release, not just one. K. Rool was in both Mario Super Sluggers and DK: Barrel Blast (2007). DK: Jungle Climber also came out the same year Barrel Blast did, again, on the DS.
Even though though he had another game on the Wii, the reason why I didn't include Barrel Blast as a contribution to his relevance was because it came out before Brawl.

Naturally, by your logic as well, Krystal would have to get thrown out since Command was on DS, but also way back in 2006.
Uhhh.... yeah... that's pretty much the point as to why I didn't include Krystal on the list of legitimate characters :ohwell:. She can't be included until Starfox on the Wii U comes out.

Bandana Dee is an Icon that has been brought up by the community of Smashboards. If you look at smash speculation on other forums you'll notice The opinions on Smashboards differ greatly from the rest of the internet (in fact Smashboards is much more Pro Wolf and Anti Krystal compared to the rest of the internet. Which is why you'll see Krystal rank lower on Smashboards polls compared to polls on other websites). The reason why Bandana Dee may seem to be in a good position here on Smasboards is because he has a very charismatic cult following him here.

here's my theory's as to why the cut Brawl veterens didn't make it:

Snake - Legal issues

Ice Climbers - 3DS limitations

Ivysaur & Squirtle - 3DS limitations, that's why Charizard, Zelda, Shiek, Samus and, Zero Suite Samus are now their own characters.

Wolf - Expandable

Lucas - Expandable

I also think there's more than one reason why Sakurai cut Wolf and Lucas as well. It's possible he wants each iteration of smash to have some characters that no other iteration has to make smash games like Melee or Brawl in this case, to stand out from its successors. While many fans may see it as a big middle finger telling them that if they want to play as those character they have to go back and play the older games, it wouldn't make the older games keep their charm if he kept on only adding on to what each previous smash roster has. The first game of the series is the only exception because it is renown as the legend that started it all, therefore, that's why the original 12 return for each iteration of smash.

I don't see Snake happening either, however, I still classified him as legitimate. There's a difference between being likely and legitimate.

Since the DLC characters are probably going to be sold individually or in groups of two or so as opposed to a whole game; Nintendo is going to have to bring out characters that can convince people to buy them or use them to promote future releases of other games coming out in their market, thus relevance is important.

Amen to that!

I'll agree, some of the character choices are terrible for likeliness but, I think the poll asks more for who the people want as opposed to who they think is likely. Even though I didn't mention anything about Kamek's exclusion, I didn't include Kamek in the list of legitimate characters in my previous post because of the reason you stated. I figured you would know why I didn't include Kamek.

Back at E3 when we saw the Mii trailer the Trailer included Miis of Ice Cube, Abraham Lincoln, and Elijah Wood. Sakurai stated that he saw requests for those people to be in smash on Miiverse and that's why he put them in the trailer. If Sakurai is willing to venture that far into character requests I'm sure he's seen multiple Krystal requests.

Like I said before the hive mind of the Smashboards community is Anti Krystal Pro Wolf. This is why you can find other polls on the internet in which she ranks higher.

Why do we need Wolf before Krystal? Wolf is expandable. Even if Sakurai had all the time in the world to add Wolf and Lucas it takes the charm away from Brawl.

Last edited:

Mask and Mirror

Smash Apprentice
I'm surprised that she wasn't chosen to be in Smash already, since she's a Starfox character who wouldn't have a similar moveset to the pilots.

JaidynReiman

Smash Hero
NNID
JaidynReiman
I'm surprised that she wasn't chosen to be in Smash already, since she's a Starfox character who wouldn't have a similar moveset to the pilots.
That could be the exact reason she's not. Falco and Wolf were both added as clones in late development, granted, Wolf was a lot more original. Both are also more prominent than Krystal. Also, you do realize that Krystal IS a pilot, right?

JaidynReiman

Smash Hero
NNID
JaidynReiman
She is? I'm a little out of touch with the Star Fox series :3
Yes. Even in Star Fox Adventures Krystal pilots a pterodactyl, but regardless, in Assault and Command Krystal pilots Arwings, replacing Peppy who retired prior to Adventures. He's still optionally playable, he does not canonically pilot Arwings post-64.

TheRandomCities4

Smash Ace

Ah, what chances would Krystal have for Smash 5 if she doesn't make it as DLC?

We keep referring to the idea that Star Fox will again be relevant for Smash 5 because of Star Fox Wii U.

Look, by the time Smash 5 comes around, Star Fox Wii U will widely be considered irrelevant because it will most likely be roughly 7 years old.

I'm not sure Krystal will ever get in Smash, now. She's just too controversial, and Star Fox coincidentally is almost always irrelevant by the time each Smash comes around.

1. She's taking a lot of hate regarding the "decline of Star Fox", and the developers are magically dodging all of the bullets (even though they're the ones responsible for making the games and restricting the characters). This is a stigma. Miyamoto in particular dodged most of the bullets (somehow). Apparently people are too blinded by their worship for Miyamoto to see that he was the guy who decided to KEEP Krystal from Dinosaur Planet AND restrict her role from the original story by shoving her into a crystal.

2. She has the furry stigma attached to her far more than the other "animal-like" characters that are supported for Smash. Not saying other characters don't have this stigma, however.

3. We have no clarity regarding if she may even return to the franchise. Miyamoto could just as easily sweep Krystal under the rug as he saved her from the destruction of the videogame Dinosaur Planet (yet he simultaneously destroyed her as a character by making her dumbed-down to high hell--yet Miyamoto continues to dodge the bullets). You would be INFINITELY wise NOT to assume that she's guaranteed to stay.

4. She has yet another stigma attached to her regarding how obnoxious her supporters were (apparently) during the pre-Brawl days that people can't seem to let go. They use this as a means that "she should not get in".

5. Supporting Krystal on various Smash fan websites is a form of suicide. You'll never hear the end of the ad hominem and ridicule by certain fellow fans of Smash. Perhaps that's why her supporters have been more... quiet this time around. Maybe Nintendo/Sakurai sees the huge controversy and doesn't want to add her in Smash because of the fear of angering too many fans?

6. People mainly view Krystal to be using the staff if she gets in Smash. The staff may be from her origin, but it has not been a part of the Star Fox gameplay for 12 years (since Star Fox: Adventures). The staff is more irrelevant than Krystal! Who's to say that Sakurai wouldn't just make her a clone if she were to get in?

I feel that Krystal's only hope (+using her staff) is if Sakurai ignores all of the controversy while SIMULTANEOUSLY using Krystal's origins to create her for Smash. What are the chances of that?! That's not even COUNTING the decline of Star Fox AND how irrelevant it has been deemed.

If we're assuming that she could be Sm4sh DLC to promote Star Fox Wii U, why would she use the staff? The staff most likely will never make another appearance. How would she work with her staff in Sm4sh as PROMOTION for Star Fox Wii U if you CAN'T even use the staff to begin with?

Beyond all this, you have the looming threat of people that understand Krystal's source potential "aging out of videogames" by the time Smash 5 comes around. A lot of us will be in our upper 20's and low 30's by that time. We'll need to focus on more important life issues! Thus, her support may dwindle drastically.

Her only chance at ever making it in Smash may be now as DLC. Else, she runs the risk of all the above. Hell, even THAT has a lot of things going against it.

A forgotten legend indeed. Well, to be fair, Nintendo never even gave the potential legend a chance...

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

. . .

Which, again, leads me to why I supported Krystal. I supported Krystal for reasons that many people might not expect.

See, I always felt that Star Fox as a franchise has so much untapped potential. There are many things that can be brought to the table to breathe new life in the franchise. So many possibilities... some of which I discussed roughly 80-100 pages ago in this thread.

And yet, I knew Nintendo was restricting the franchise from these possibilities--whether it was intentional or not doesn't matter. So, if I already knew the franchise was being limited by focus, why did I support Krystal for Smash?

It's a multifaceted answer.

For starters, I'm not a guy who looks to the face value of things for enjoyment. I like to look at the implications.

For instance, a question I have asked myself a few times was: what would be implied unto the Star Fox franchise if Krystal managed to get in Smash with her staff?

Quite possibly, many things. Allow me to elaborate:

Long have I fancied the logic of exposure. If you understand the logic of exposure (and all it can imply), you would understand why many people want certain veterans back in Smash. They're used to these characters being in Smash, as they've already been exposed to them. If you're exposed to something for a certain amount of time, you could easily get used to it (not saying everyone does, but it is pretty effective).

Exposure is only half of the equation, however.

The thing you're exposed to generally needs to have effort put into it for you to eventually enjoy it.

Allow me to sidestep briefly with an important note: this second half of the equation is what Star Fox is missing as a franchise. The characters don't have that much effort put into them. For starters, you can't even really play as them. They're restricted to be things that revolve the story of Fox McCloud--you only really ever get to play as Fox.

Tell me, why do you think so many people are interested in the Star Fox characters in Smash Brothers?

It's simple. It completes the equation. They have effort put into them. Fox, Falco, and Wolf have NEVER had the chance to display their martial arts in ANY of the Star Fox games. This makes them interesting, particularly in the field of Smash. They've generally been restricted to the sky/space (or underwater in a few circumstances). Point is, they've usually had to use vehicles for their escapades. And when they were on-foot, well, it was very restricted and lackluster (Star Fox: Assault).

Another sidestep: being able to play as the character is a form of exposure. This is something that, like I said, was lacking from a lot of the Star Fox characters. Sure, Command allowed us to play as them, but it was the wrong way to go about it. There are other playable ways you could better distinguish the effort in the characters, and Smash is one of them.

Smash is a venue where some characters are able to do things they can't normally do in their franchises. We may not realize it, but it gives us an interesting perspective on these characters. This usually allows us to become even more interested in the characters, and deepens the experience as a whole. Naturally, because we are fans, we usually cross-reference our experiences of the franchises with the experience of Smash.

What does this have to do with Krystal? Many things, potentially.

For starters, having Krystal in Smash (granted she'd need something interesting, like her staff) would plant the seeds of exposure to the players. "Whoa, that's different". Or, "Wait, she can do that?!"

These are the sorts of inferences people make that pique interest value.

However, I'm not necessarily interested in the inferences made about Krystal in such hypothetical situations alone...

I'm more interested about the implications on the Star Fox franchise that result from these inferences made about Krystal in Smash.

For starters, the exposure of Krystal in Smash, what with her being different and actually enjoyable for once, would allow some people to become more open to the idea of her being in Star Fox. She is the epicenter of the negativity revolving the Star Fox franchise within the fandom. If this epicenter can be weakened by the exposure to her actually being an interesting character in Smash, the negativity that follows would also weaken.

If the negativity is replaced by positive outlook (as a result of them being exposed to an interesting Krystal for once), the fans would be less occupied by the things that are weighing the franchise down (because Krystal was the epicenter of negativity). They will be more able to look at the possibilities of Star Fox rather than "what's wrong" with it.

But that's not all.

You see, if they are less focused on the negativity, they would be more open to the idea that the developers make the decisions behind the games. Then, the realization hits:

"Oh, so it wasn't Krystal's fault that Star Fox has been so lackluster, it's the developers fault! I mean, look at what Sakurai did with Krystal in Smash! She's a lot better there than she has been in Star Fox!"

And from this realization, the talk about what could be done with Star Fox begins. They'll realize all the different gameplay styles that Star Fox could do: on-foot, aerial, in-space, underwater, etc. All in the same game. Oh, but then, there are subcategories in each style of gameplay. Depending on the situation, you could have it to where you focus on martial arts on-ground OR with weapons. Hell, give them some of their Smash Brothers abilities on the ground, like the Fox Illusion! Similar differences could be made from the other forms of gameplay that Star Fox could encompass. For instance, an upgrading system not only for your on-ground weapons or physical (or for Krystal, psychic) prowess, but also different kinds of upgrades for your different vehicles. There's just so much you could do, it's almost unfathomable. I'm not even talking about how good the stories and characters OR multiplayer possibilities could be, either.

Do those concepts make you excited about the possibilities in Star Fox? If they do, good. They should.

Star Fox, as a franchise, needs to evolve if it hopes to become something truly legendary. Right now, it's just... a franchise.

Unfortunately, it's going to have a hard time becoming legendary if it becomes riddled with hardware technology and controls that try too hard to be different (I'm looking at you, Miyamoto). Mark my words.

. . .

So, were you expecting those reasons? They're not personal reasons, believe me.

See, I support Krystal for Smash Brothers for reasons that extend beyond Smash. There are many possible implications that could take place if she were to get in as a unique newcomer.

Unfortunately, this may never come to pass.

Do you know why? It's not simply because she's not going to be in Smash Brothers.

. . .

Honestly, I'm surprised none of you have added two and two together.

Ask yourself:

Why was she absent from the codecs?

Why was she absent from the E3 demo that tested out game mechanics for the new Star Fox game?

Don't give me that "oh, it's because it was a demo" bull****. Wolf was there. You know what else was there? All of those new game mechanics that are planned to be implemented in the final build. Why would Krystal be the ONLY MISSING Star Fox member?

You ask me.

If you honestly think NINTENDO would reserve her and her alone as hidden information, or as a surprise, then I am disappointed in you. You will have shown that you haven't learned much from what I said about Miyamoto.

Oh, and don't take your beef with me. Take your beef to the K. Rool thread. They understand what it's like...

They understand what it's like to have a character kept from the main series. K. Rool himself...

A few pages ago, I paraphrased one of Miyamoto's quotes regarding K. Rool's absence from Donkey Kong's main games as of recent:

"Do we really have to use [K. Rool]? Can't we just make a new set of enemies for Donkey Kong?"

With this quote, it's simple to understand what he's getting at. He doesn't want to rely on ideas or concepts that were created by other companies--especially if they're in franchises he's responsible for. @ JaidynReiman JaidynReiman can actually back me up on this one. He frequents the K. Rool thread more than I.

Tell me. Do you know who created K. Rool? Which company? It's such a simple answer.

That's right. Rareware, a European company.

If you think Nintendo of Japan's criterion aligns with Rareware's, you're sorely mistaken.

Rareware also created Krystal. As far as Miyamoto's concerned, Krystal is fair game.

Also, if you think Krystal could return if she was truly taken out, you're mistaken. Take another look at K. Rool. Miyamoto has decided to keep him away from the main game series. If it were up to Retro, they'd probably use him. The fans' cries for the Kremlings and K. Rool have fallen on deaf ears and stone hearts.

However, I made it pretty clear that you don't simply say "no" to Miyamoto. Rareware had trouble with this in the past, isn't that right, JonTron? With Dinosaur Plan-I MEAN Star Fox: Adventures? Eh? Ring a bell? Anyone?

Yep. Miyamoto was the one in control of Krystal's fate all along. He's the one who stripped her of her intended glory from the beginning.

In the end, I think Miyamoto noticed the declining sales of Star Fox, and wanted to do something about it. He probably looked to the past to see what was making the game actually sell. From this, he'd probably assume that it was the new hardware technology that made those games sell.

For Star Fox SNES, it was 3D console games. For Star Fox 64, it was the rumble pak.

. . .

For Star Fox Wii U, it's the extended use of the Wii U gamepad, apparently.

At any rate, Miyamoto doesn't have to get rid of Krystal, obviously. That won't stop him, though. If he sees no use for Krystal, she won't be there. Just like K. Rool hasn't been in the Donkey Kong main game series.

Sure, let's see what the future brings us. I'm warning you, however. For your sake, you better prepare yourself for this possibility.

It could hit like a stone wall.

. . .

And you know what? I suppose that's okay. We can't do anything about it.

If Star Fox can't hope to achieve its potential, I can't stay to support it. It's just a waste of time and breath. There's no need to get myself all worked up about it. Just wanted to share my thoughts on this possibility, is all. Doesn't change the fact that all this wasted potential would be a shame, though.

You can spread this post around if you want.

Last edited:

Jason the Yoshi

Watching Me, Wanting Me
Made a little Palutena codec thingy for Krystal while I'm off work.

Pit: Who even is this character?
Viridi: That's Krystal. She's Fox McCloud's live interest.
Pit: With that staff, she's ripping off Pitoo's style.
Dark Pit: I HEARD THAT!!!!!!
Palutena: Besides, she's not ripping off Dark Pit's style at all. That staff is completely different from Dark Pit's.
Dark Pit: Exactly. Mine doesn't propel me into the sky, shoot fire blasts, cause earthquakes, or even freeze things.
Viridi: What you really need to watch out for is if she releases a Krazoa spirit, though.
Palutena: Be careful, Pit. Krystal doesn't just carry that staff for no reason. Even my staff can't do all that stuff.

Top Bottom