• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Kirby's Toy Box - Kirby Moveset/AT/Competitive Discussion

da K.I.D.

Smash Hero
To the guy asking about perfect pivots with kirby.

If youve ever seen those greninja combo videos where he does nair into pivot up tilt, we can do something similar. Against tall heavy characters like faclon, you can do shff fair to pivot up tilt, and that will combo from about 0 to 15 or so.
and 0 to like 5 you can do the same thingnwith strond hit nair. Weak hit nair you can combo into uptilt and well into the30 and 40s

WootSnorlax

Smash Apprentice
I wonder if we can nair -> perfect pivot utilt at low percents. I'm not very good at executing perfect pivots but I can see it being a true combo since nair to fsmash works at lowish percents.

AlvisCPU

Smash Ace
NNID
GaleSlash
3DS FC
2492-4221-0172
Hey guys,
I've convinced some of my friends to attend a Smash tourney, though none of them play competitively. One plays Kirby, so I'm hoping to get some advice I can pass on beyond "stop spamming side-B and down-B, and you should be edgeguarding because you can recover forever". I've had a bit of a look at this guide (http://smashboards.com/threads/ssb4-kirbys-epic-guide-ver-2-1.367840/) and it actually seems pretty good - I'll have to pass on some of those combos to him. However, is there any more general advice on how Kirby should be played? What are his kill moves? What are the most essential things he should know? Hopefully I can set him up enough to not get thrashed in Round 1 :laugh:

TheBlueSpirit

Smash Journeyman
NNID
thebiuespirit
3DS FC
5086-3271-7834
Hey so I'm a Kirby main (new to the threads, not the character) but I wanna mention something to you guys about doubles that my bro and I have now been doing. We play a Kirby-Villager doubles team (by the way, both are excellent for doubles) and a new thing I thought up was to swallow my bro with neutral b and take pocket. At some point during the match he'll grow a tree, and after he chops it down I pocket it.

Now this is the important part. Pocket, even as Kirby, of course has a multiplier on it that makes projectiles stronger once pocketed. After tossing out the pocketed tree, it is basically an insta kill on almost every character, as long as you hit the strong hitbox of the tree (that shouldn't be too difficult).

I tested this and it's an amazing, gimmicky, tool to use. This also works with double villager teams, but Kirby villager is a great team anyway. With Pocketed Tree as an added bonus, it's much more deadly than before. We've ended matches very shortly with this strategy. I'm not sure if anybody has even realized this yet, so now you know if you didn't already

Dee-SmashinBoss

Smash Ace
Hey so I'm a Kirby main (new to the threads, not the character) but I wanna mention something to you guys about doubles that my bro and I have now been doing. We play a Kirby-Villager doubles team (by the way, both are excellent for doubles) and a new thing I thought up was to swallow my bro with neutral b and take pocket. At some point during the match he'll grow a tree, and after he chops it down I pocket it.

Now this is the important part. Pocket, even as Kirby, of course has a multiplier on it that makes projectiles stronger once pocketed. After tossing out the pocketed tree, it is basically an insta kill on almost every character, as long as you hit the strong hitbox of the tree (that shouldn't be too difficult).

I tested this and it's an amazing, gimmicky, tool to use. This also works with double villager teams, but Kirby villager is a great team anyway. With Pocketed Tree as an added bonus, it's much more deadly than before. We've ended matches very shortly with this strategy. I'm not sure if anybody has even realized this yet, so now you know if you didn't already
Its cool and yea i think most people know this, but great explanation.
Im curious, is it possible to pocket the tree even if it hits the ground before disappearing?
If thats the case then thats something to definatly consider.

TheBlueSpirit

Smash Journeyman
NNID
thebiuespirit
3DS FC
5086-3271-7834
Its cool and yea i think most people know this, but great explanation.
Im curious, is it possible to pocket the tree even if it hits the ground before disappearing?
If thats the case then thats something to definatly consider.
It depends. You can, but only on the first frames of the tree hitting the ground. We have hit people with the tree and then re-pocketed the tree before it disappears before. But you have to get it before it can't be pocketed any longer

kirbyfan66

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Kirbyfan66
If you play with Customs, run a Wave Cutter Kirby and have Villager Pocket that. It's a projectile that comes out instantly and KOs before 100% on most of the cast. It KOs Kirby at around 70% or 80%. Doesn't KO as early as the tree, but it requires less setup, goes farther, comes out faster, and still KOs very early.

Asdioh

Not Asidoh
I'd rather stick with Upper Cutter so you have a top tier recovery. Let Kirby get Pocket, and then Pocket a bowling ball/tree/practically anything, then get guaranteed KO setups from Uptilt, Dair, or Dtilt trips at stupidly low percents.

nikoryan

Smash Cadet
How do you guys set up your kills? Anyone know how reliable dair -> d smash is at high percentages? I find it that sometimes it works and other times they just shield it. Another way I set up my kills is the obvious d-tilt -> fsmash if you are close enough and they trip. Sometimes I do jab -> f smash for mix ups but I know that's not 100% safe. B-throw kills at really high percentages. Bair is also strong. Sometimes if i'm feeling risky I also go for the hard reads and use stone or use stone while they're recovering. Falling fair when you just get the first 1 or 2 hits to d tilt to fsmash also sometimes works for me.

But other than that I find it real hard to get kills especially if my opponent is playing super patient and it's the last stock.

TheBlueSpirit

Smash Journeyman
NNID
thebiuespirit
3DS FC
5086-3271-7834
How do you guys set up your kills? Anyone know how reliable dair -> d smash is at high percentages? I find it that sometimes it works and other times they just shield it. Another way I set up my kills is the obvious d-tilt -> fsmash if you are close enough and they trip. Sometimes I do jab -> f smash for mix ups but I know that's not 100% safe. B-throw kills at really high percentages. Bair is also strong. Sometimes if i'm feeling risky I also go for the hard reads and use stone or use stone while they're recovering. Falling fair when you just get the first 1 or 2 hits to d tilt to fsmash also sometimes works for me.

But other than that I find it real hard to get kills especially if my opponent is playing super patient and it's the last stock.
Dair to down smash is pretty good from my experience, Fsmash and Usmash work too, though not as well. Down tilt should also allow you to follow up with a running up-smash if it trips, though I don't know for sure. Also just thinking....maybe perfect pivot Fsmash works out of dtilt. Oh yeah of course Dair spike is a good kill move also, I seem to hit that often. And sometimes if you Utilt, you can read their reaction for a free Usmash if they expect you to go for an aerial. That's all I can think of at the moment.

da K.I.D.

Smash Hero
D tilt to pivot f smash or foxtrot f smash works, but it ranges from free to impossible depending on percent, spacing of the d tilt, qnd the traction of your opponent.

Its impossible to hit luigi because he slides too far
its impossible in j puff because shes too light and gets hit too far away
its practically impossible to hit with at kill percent if you hit the d tilt at the max range.

Its super easy at point blank range against most characters
against someone like link with high traction and high weight will get hit by it pretty consistently

You kind of have to respond to the situation after you get a lot of experience doing it

Altair357

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Altair357
3DS FC
5284-1411-2846
Dair isn't a guaranteed combo into any smashes. The opponent can jump out as the moves aren't fast enough. Actually, down smash might work on Captain Falcon because it's our fastest smash and because of his weight and fall speed, but I wouldn't count on it.
If that doesn't work, maybe a dair to down tilt trip to fsmash.

I usually kill with a back air or smash attack. I've been using dair to footstool a bit more, though, and it's pretty great.

Delzethin

Character Concept Creator
NNID
Delzethin
Is it just me, or does Kirby actually fare well overall against the new characters? Roy would normally outrange him, but he has to get up close to get the most out of his attacks, putting him right in Kirby's wheelhouse. Meanwhile, being a fastfaller makes him combo fodder and his poor recovery means you can gimp him with one fair or dair. Kirby might do even better against Ryu, with how so many of his standing attacks hit high enough where Kirby can just duck them (I've heard he can walk under Hadokens!) and with how linear his recovery is. Kirby can even escape combos other characters would get caught in!

Lucas seems to be more or less like Ness, as far as the matchup goes, but maybe the fact that his grab is ranged and he has a midair tether could help him.

Am I off base, or am I on to something here?

da K.I.D.

Smash Hero
Kirby probably beats roy solidly.

Just being able to duck a lot of things doesnt auto win a matchup for us so ryu is still in the air.

Nickname87

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Nickname8877
did anyone notice kirby got nerfed this up date? when you use stone on a slope you slide down but wont fall off the edge :p one of the more fun things I normally did :p

Asdioh

Not Asidoh
Random moves still can, like I believe falcon kick/wizard kick.
BUT NOT STONE OFF SLOPES :mad:
oh and top tier Pikachu still has QAC cancel options >=(
can Kirby be given throw combos now?

Last edited:

Altair357

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Altair357
3DS FC
5284-1411-2846
Oh, my b. Didn't think about those.

da K.I.D.

Smash Hero
All i want is for f throw fair to be a combo until like 60%, would that be so bad? All you have to do is tweak the angle just a little bit to be mor veticle and boom. Wayyyy better character

Kleric

Smash Cadet
NNID
MrOrdun
Been some time since I started using Kirby, I don't regret a thing! :)
I know there's obviously a list of combo's Kirby can use with his own moves, but is there one of combo's he can use with other character's Neutral Specials? I can only remember 2 that I've discovered through training. I'll list them in case no one else has~

Fox's Blaster~ When Fox is around 45%, Kirby can F-Throw to Blaster to get a couple of good consecutive shots.
Lucina & Marth's Shield Breaker~ When Lucina/Marth are around 25% or so, you can combo F-Throw to Shield Breaker... though I feel DI could prevent this from working.

Now I'm off to perfect B-reversing Kirby's Inhale... I seem to suck at that. (No pun intended)
Perhaps a generous soul could point me towards better methods of guaranteeing an inhale? I always get punished for trying. :p

TheBlueSpirit

Smash Journeyman
NNID
thebiuespirit
3DS FC
5086-3271-7834
Been some time since I started using Kirby, I don't regret a thing! :)
I know there's obviously a list of combo's Kirby can use with his own moves, but is there one of combo's he can use with other character's Neutral Specials? I can only remember 2 that I've discovered through training. I'll list them in case no one else has~

Fox's Blaster~ When Fox is around 45%, Kirby can F-Throw to Blaster to get a couple of good consecutive shots.
Lucina & Marth's Shield Breaker~ When Lucina/Marth are around 25% or so, you can combo F-Throw to Shield Breaker... though I feel DI could prevent this from working.

Now I'm off to perfect B-reversing Kirby's Inhale... I seem to suck at that. (No pun intended)
Perhaps a generous soul could point me towards better methods of guaranteeing an inhale? I always get punished for trying. :p
Umm.....instead of getting punished for trying to use it, use it as a punish for what your opponent is trying to do. I'm pretty sure that doesn't help your question at all but that's probably the best possible time to use it. So try to use it then and not just go for it when you want the neutral special

Phan7om

ドリームランドの悪夢
Yeah, you never want to just "randomly" throw out inhale (or any move) without any thought to it. I see this with Kirby players all the time, and guess what... every kirby who does that think inhale is very bad or very situational against top level players. I could see someone making a point that its not really a good damage builder unless you copy, but ive found a few jank tricks with it. Coney, even though he mains Wario, is the best command grab user imo I would watch him for tips.
-----
Anyway, I was messing around with Vulcan Jab edge cancel and when Kirby's right next to the ledge with his back towards it the Vulcan Jab will cancel right after the 6th jab. Ive tried experimenting with like Vulcan cancel into jump Dair or Samus' Charge Shot and stuff. I want to see you guys try this out and see what we could do from it, I feel it could be pretty good.

TheBlueSpirit

Smash Journeyman
NNID
thebiuespirit
3DS FC
5086-3271-7834
Yeah, you never want to just "randomly" throw out inhale (or any move) without any thought to it. I see this with Kirby players all the time, and guess what... every kirby who does that think inhale is very bad or very situational against top level players. I could see someone making a point that its not really a good damage builder unless you copy, but ive found a few jank tricks with it. Coney, even though he mains Wario, is the best command grab user imo I would watch him for tips.
-----
Anyway, I was messing around with Vulcan Jab edge cancel and when Kirby's right next to the ledge with his back towards it the Vulcan Jab will cancel right after the 6th jab. Ive tried experimenting with like Vulcan cancel into jump Dair or Samus' Charge Shot and stuff. I want to see you guys try this out and see what we could do from it, I feel it could be pretty good.
Wait describe Vulcan jab pls? I don't know much about it/ the cancel for it either

Phan7om

ドリームランドの悪夢
Wait describe Vulcan jab pls? I don't know much about it/ the cancel for it either
Kirby's rapid jab. When you are at the very edge of the stage at hit the opponent he slides off the edge and cancels the animation after the 6th punch.

Asdioh

Not Asidoh
It combos into Upper Cutter! and possibly some fast Copy abilities idk.

Expert_Dual

Smash Rookie
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xs0MX1_ujbU This is a really good Kirby combo and well I use Inhale once with style! Um like when Kirby inhales and if you jump you can get a free combo off of certain characters since I think they made it more safe. Also all my other combos on this channel are good and like 100% damage, Kill Setups, Reads, tech chases, Kirby's secret top tier LOL. This is my first post and I wanted to share what Kirby can DO! I also want to make somewhat off of guide maybe later, so like nice. Also I did really well against bad matchups like Lucario.

Phan7om

ドリームランドの悪夢
That inhale jump trick has been a thing for a minute. I learned it somewhere like in October back in the 3DS days. Easily avoidable tho. I even made a post about it somewhere on the boards when I figured it out just like you.

Last edited:

Nickname87

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Nickname8877
That inhale jump trick has been a thing for a minute. I learned it somewhere like in October back in the 3DS days. Easily avoidable tho. I even made a post about it somewhere on the boards when I figured it out just like you.
ya but since the 3ds they changed quite a bit about the trajectory of the swallow :p i would give it another shot.

Mazdamaxsti

Smash Lord
NNID
Mazdamaxsti
OKAY GUYS, this might be big or already found. So as of now, we know kirby's jab lock is f-tilt, but i was practicing footstool combos on ganon, and i was just messing around (not even footstooling), and he tumbled to the ground with no tech, and i did a f-air, and only one of the f-air hits hit, but it JAB LOCKED HIM. My f-air jab locked him, i forget which hit, but if this is new someone please test this.

@ Asdioh Asdioh you seem to be the guy that tests things, please test this.

TheBlueSpirit

Smash Journeyman
NNID
thebiuespirit
3DS FC
5086-3271-7834
OKAY GUYS, this might be big or already found. So as of now, we know kirby's jab lock is f-tilt, but i was practicing footstool combos on ganon, and i was just messing around (not even footstooling), and he tumbled to the ground with no tech, and i did a f-air, and only one of the f-air hits hit, but it JAB LOCKED HIM. My f-air jab locked him, i forget which hit, but if this is new someone please test this.

@ Asdioh Asdioh you seem to be the guy that tests things, please test this.
I don't think it's new, but it might just be me. I don't know which hit either off the top of my head but it's not 3rd for sure, I'd say 2nd hit most likely

EMPEROR Eevee

Smash Cadet
I wonder if we can nair -> perfect pivot utilt at low percents. I'm not very good at executing perfect pivots but I can see it being a true combo since nair to fsmash works at lowish percents.
According to False, Perfect Pivot Up-tilt is godlike on Kirby. He told me this while at Dismantle.

da K.I.D.

Smash Hero
  • Late hit Nair to pp up tilt is definitely a combo at low percents. Shff fair to pp up tilt is also a true combo at low percent on most characters shulks weight and above.
  • Pp up tilt isgood forstuffing approaches but pp f tilt is better for approaching yourself
  • everyone needs to start doing more up air. Back hit of up air is fairly safe if spaced right. And combos into everything

WootSnorlax

Smash Apprentice
  • Late hit Nair to pp up tilt is definitely a combo at low percents. Shff fair to pp up tilt is also a true combo at low percent on most characters shulks weight and above.
  • Pp up tilt isgood forstuffing approaches but pp f tilt is better for approaching yourself
  • everyone needs to start doing more up air. Back hit of up air is fairly safe if spaced right. And combos into everything
Woah, back hit of uair is safe on block? I find that hard to believe seeing as to how little range it has. I'd have to try it, do you have any footage of it being spaced correctly?

Asdioh

Not Asidoh
I stopped doing it a long time ago because I always got punished :/ it definitely has better reward than Bair though, unless they're at kill percents of course.
Gotta agree with Mr. Snorlax, are there any examples of when it's safe?

Top Bottom