• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Kirby

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wumbo105

Smash Ace
Admittedly, as much as I love our little pink puffball, there is one thing that would tear me away from maining him...
If they announce Bandana Waddle Dee as a newcomer. I'll be instantly sold on that.
I feel so guilty...

κomıc

Highly Offensive
NNID
komicturtle
I'm hoping they finally change his D-tilt. He's supposed to slide! Megaman has it... Kirby should have it too.

So, anyhow, I'll be maining Kirby.. Like I did in Smash 64, Melee and Brawl. Not dropping my favorite video game character of all time any time soon. And of course, my Ness <3

t!MmY

Smash Hero
NNID
t1mmy_smash
I'm hoping they finally change his D-tilt. He's supposed to slide! Megaman has it... Kirby should have it too.
I agree. Kirby does a Slide Attack in his games, yet we haven't seen it in Smash after all these years.

It's really ironic that Kirby is missing so many things from his games considering Sakurai himself is both the creator of Kirby and the lead developer of Smash Bros.

Morbi

Scavenger
I agree. Kirby does a Slide Attack in his games, yet we haven't seen it in Smash after all these years.

It's really ironic that Kirby is missing so many things from his games considering Sakurai himself is both the creator of Kirby and the lead developer of Smash Bros.
I know what you mean. I just went back to Melee. I was trying out Kirby and I completely forgot that his running normal was his fireball form from Kirby and the Crystal Shards instead of that break-dance thing. I do hope that they do him some justice in SSB4. He just felt generic in Brawl.

t!MmY

Smash Hero
NNID
t1mmy_smash
Kirby, unfortunately, looks rather untouched in SSB4.

Giving him a new Stone transformation while leaving everything else apparently the same is sort of disappointing.

Kapus

Smash Ace
NNID
Kaplus4
3DS FC
3626-0411-0921
I was trying out Kirby and I completely forgot that his running normal was his fireball form from Kirby and the Crystal Shards instead of that break-dance thing. I do hope that they do him some justice in SSB4. He just felt generic in Brawl.
That "Break Dance thing" is still a Kirby move. It's called the Break Spin and it was part of Yo-yo's ability in Super Star.

I do agree that he should have his slide, though. It'd be more interesting than his current down tilt. Aside from that, I think Kirby's moveset represents his series fairly well.

Morbi

Scavenger
That "Break Dance thing" is still a Kirby move. It's called the Break Spin and it was part of Yo-yo's ability in Super Star.

I do agree that he should have his slide, though. It'd be more interesting than his current down tilt. Aside from that, I think Kirby's moveset represents his series fairly well.
You would know more than me. I only played Crystal Shards and a Gameboy one. :p

Kapus

Smash Ace
NNID
Kaplus4
3DS FC
3626-0411-0921
Strange that you would complain about him not representing his games that well, then.

Kapus

Smash Ace
NNID
Kaplus4
3DS FC
3626-0411-0921
I know what you mean. I just went back to Melee. I was trying out Kirby and I completely forgot that his running normal was his fireball form from Kirby and the Crystal Shards instead of that break-dance thing. I do hope that they do him some justice in SSB4. He just felt generic in Brawl.
That's the vibe I got from this post, saying that Brawl failed to do him justice and agreeing with t!mmy's statement that Kirby doesn't use a lot of things from his games.

Morbi

Scavenger
That's the vibe I got from this post, saying that Brawl failed to do him justice and agreeing with t!mmy's statement that Kirby doesn't use a lot of things from his games.
I just think that he is generic. It doesn't really mean that they aren't using stuff from his games. I just felt like Melee was a better experience for me because I could recognize his running normal. That is all I meant by it. :smirk:

Wumbo105

Smash Ace
Kirby, unfortunately, looks rather untouched in SSB4.

Giving him a new Stone transformation while leaving everything else apparently the same is sort of disappointing.
Aside from his dash attack, he was rather untouched in his transition from Melee to Brawl as well, if you think about it. What Sakurai is thinking is if it's not broken, don't fix it. Kirby has proved to be a popular character that's decently balanced, so he doesn't wanna muddy things up. Also, since the physics and gravity of the game are being changed, everything is gonna react differently, so it will surely feel different to players.

t!MmY

Smash Hero
NNID
t1mmy_smash
What Sakurai is thinking is if it's not broken, don't fix it.
If anything, he's proven the opposite,

Kirby was good in SSB, but the nerfs he got in Melee targeted all his KO potential - specifically his D-air and and for some reason his F-smash. Without anything to KO with he was left with practically nothing in Melee. When Brawl came around, Sakurai gave Kirby back some of his KO power with the F-smash and fixed up the Hammer a little bit - the changes we've seen in SSB4 aren't even that much.

There's quite a lot to fix with Kirby. Let's start by giving him his Slide Attack and give him back the Face Slide (SSB Dash Attack) that Jigglypuff stole from him. :\

Wumbo105

Smash Ace
Well ya, they altered the power and whatnot, but the moves themselves were virtually unchanged. I was under the impression we were talking about changing the actual action of the move. And I forgot about the Hammer change, you're right.
Idk about the Face Slide, it kinda gives an element of clumsiness to the character, which fit Jiggz well, but goes against the deft, agile image Kirby has made for himself these past 2 games. Idk, that's just me.

Mario & Sonic Guy

Old rivalries live on!
NNID
TPitch5
3DS FC
5327-1637-5096
A nice new aesthetic element should be more eye expressions for Kirby. Basically, depending on which attack he uses, Kirby may show a serious expression, which hints that he's trying to deliver a powerful attack.

~ Valkyrie ~

Holy Maiden Warrior
Premium
NNID
IndyGo98
3DS FC
2793-0906-0731
Switch FC
SW-7670-7999-3483
A nice new aesthetic element should be more eye expressions for Kirby. Basically, depending on which attack he uses, Kirby may show a serious expression, which hints that he's trying to deliver a powerful attack.

More expressive Kirby? I'm all in. It'd be cute to watch.

Retroend

Retro Gamer
NNID
Re7ron
3DS FC
3669-1436-3958
Switch FC
SW-5947-2141-6122
i want kirby to have more aerial movement. maybe close to jigglypuffs aerial movement, but not as much as jiggly herself. his back air should have less ending downtime. one thing that kirby has that really bothers me is his weakness to approach from afar and with charcaters with swords such as marth. i want something that could help mitigate this issue.

smasher64!

Smash Rookie
Kirby Changes

• Change his Up B special to how it was in ssb64. Leave the spike at the top of final cutter.
  • Change his air down attack (drill) and make it faster -take away initial lag
  • Make forward tilt stronger and farther
  • Make the weak up attack kick have more range
  • Make the weak down attack sweep kick have more range and knock back
  • The hammer is too slow and is never used. Make it faster or replace it.
  • His swallow is okay~ could be faster.

Basically, just give Kirby more range and speed in his attacks!

Retroend

Retro Gamer
NNID
Re7ron
3DS FC
3669-1436-3958
Switch FC
SW-5947-2141-6122
So basically what you want is for Kirby to be broken.
Come on guys, think balance, don't be greedy.
define balance. basically, that only exists in a perfect world, which we don't live on. :/

Wumbo105

Smash Ace
define balance. basically, that only exists in a perfect world, which we don't live on. :/
Well I was referring to the changes that Smasher64 wanted for Kirby, which were pretty much just to fix everything and give him every tool possible and no lag. As a character, he's gotta lack something.

Retroend

Retro Gamer
NNID
Re7ron
3DS FC
3669-1436-3958
Switch FC
SW-5947-2141-6122
Well I was referring to the changes that Smasher64 wanted for Kirby, which were pretty much just to fix everything and give him every tool possible and no lag. As a character, he's gotta lack something.
he lacks projectiles, lol. the only thing he needs is less downtime on his backair and more speed on his aerial movement. though dealing with sword people is something that should be addressed. overall he's a great character, just need some buffs towards some of his weaknesses.

Vinylic.

Woke?
Switch FC
SW-5214-5959-4787
Kirby's already freakin' buffed. Just play the damn character right and you'll be on your way to royalty.

When this game comes out, I'll look into everything I can possibly do. I think kewkky will tend to do the same, because I wanna be stick into the competitive side of this game like gorilla glue.

Wumbo105

Smash Ace
I'm pretty sure everyone will look into everything they can possibly do, that goes without saying.

And if people with swords are a problem for Kirby, then so be it. It's called a counterpick, and happens a lot in competitive games. I think if Kirby starts outranging sword-wielders then we'll have a problem.

APC99

Smash Master
NNID
APC-99
3DS FC
3840-8265-8211
What about Kirby's actual attributes? Will Kirby have his Side Special act like Melee or Brawl in the air? Are they going to continue to decrease the amount of "Kirbycide" attacks he has? Will his dash attack change like in every other Smash game? Kirby's one of my favorite characters to punish people as.

APC99

Smash Master
NNID
APC-99
3DS FC
3840-8265-8211

This is a cool idea. Like when Kirby is about to perform Stone, he gets a serious face instead. When he performs his neutral aerial he closes his eyes and giggles as the air tickles his belly. It would be cute and distract the layer from the never-ending esophagus that is the pink puffball Kirby.

extremechiton

Smash Lord
NNID
Extremechiton
3DS FC
1590-4719-6526
Switch FC
SW 5498 9796 6766
if kirby used one of the super abilities in kirby;s return to dream land as a final smash:
ultra sword: it should change everytime like it does in the game: fish, ninja stick, sword, axe, etc

ultimate flame: would be similar to ssbb mario's final smash... seems clone-ish

ultra beam: would work similar to ssbb pikachu's final smash, another clone

snowball: unique, not sure how it would work. player rolls around the stage and if people get caught in it, the player can press A to explode the snowball sending everyone stuck flying, and if anyone was not caught, they could get hit by the snow fragments.

grand hammer: another unique one, would have to press A at the right time, and each successive timed button press would increase the size of the hammer, therefore increasing its size, damage, and range.

mike kirby: seems like aclone of that assist trohpy who plays the guitar damaging people too close... another clone, although could be changed to the kirby's return to dreamland mike kirby although only used once instead of 3 times

crash kirby. EPIC reminds me of ssbb jigglypuffs final smash if jiggly exploded instead of deflating.

ryuu seika

Smash Master
Kirby doesn't need to outrange swordsmen, he already had Fireball to deal with them in Melee.
I understand that the move didn't fit well with Melee's "approaching is bad" style but, were he to get something similar in another Smash game, it could end up working a lot better.
I'm not saying it'd make the swordsman matchups matchups favourable by any means, just that it would stop him rolling over and dying in them.

For refference, the original effect was that of a "transient hitbox", basically meaning it could never clank and would therefore hit swordsmen through their swords, even as kirby took damage. This would generally place the characters close enough that kirby could follow up without having the problems of a long distance aproach and, in most cases, he got a small headstart on moving out of the stun.

So, here's what I'd like for kirby:
- really small 1% hitbox at the instant of breaking out of stone (move still has him vulnerable to grabs and still has escape lag after this hitbox).
-Fireball back.
-Slight slide on his dtilt.
-Hammer replaced with something new now Dedede has it.
-More hitbox on twinkle star with faster activation. Feel free to make these changes small and cut damage and knockback in return.

t!MmY

Smash Hero
NNID
t1mmy_smash
I'I think if Kirby starts outranging sword-wielders then we'll have a problem.
I don't see that as a problem. If he had a few moves that were reliable enough to use against 'sword-ranged' attacks, then he wouldn't have an outright flaw (e.g. attack range, approach, etc). Most of Kirby's problems in Brawl come from the fact that he is short-ranged and has slow speed without anything significant to make up for it.

In the original SSB, all the characters had at least a few attacks that had very large hitboxes which allowed them to all be fairly balanced. The balance issue came more from having a reliable recovery (lol Pikachu) along with how quickly you could move (lol Pikachu) combined with how good your overall moveset was (lol Pikachu).

I really don't see a reason why Kirby needed any changes from his original SSB style, so I agree with Smasher64 when he says he wants to see buffs all over the place for Kirby. The changes to the game mechanics in Melee and Brawl (and probably SSB4) would have been sufficient for balancing out the characters further (e.g. better recovery options, reduced hitlag, etc).

t!MmY

Smash Hero
NNID
t1mmy_smash
Alright, if we want these all-around buffs to Kirby, then everyone else has to revert back to the SSB64 type of design...
I'm fine with that. :)
That was the most balanced Smash game, after all.

BlitznBurst

Smash Ace
Admittedly, as much as I love our little pink puffball, there is one thing that would tear me away from maining him...
If they announce Bandana Waddle Dee as a newcomer. I'll be instantly sold on that.
I feel so guilty...
But if Waddle Dee is a playable character then who will be the hardest boss ever!!!!?

And let me just say I like the new shade of pink they chose for him. I don't know why this matters to me, but it just looks... cuter, as opposed to Brawl's more subdued pink. Seriously, just look at him! <3

I hope we get a better final smash though. Cook kirby was just... what? If this were pre-Brawl I'd probably be rooting for Crash Kirby, but with Kirby's Adventure Wii, Ultra Sword is the obvious choice. Also, Break Spin should be his up smahs. Not the generic spin from Brawl, but the actual break spin, yoyo and all. And Needle Kirby would replace his dash attack. **EDIT** Oh crap I'm ******** lol. I was thinking of Gazer Spiral, not Break Spin. Damn, my Kirby knowledge has failed me! D:

extremechiton

Smash Lord
NNID
Extremechiton
3DS FC
1590-4719-6526
Switch FC
SW 5498 9796 6766
I think they should replace his uptilt with the geyser from kirbys adventure wii

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom