• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social Kirby & The Amazing Cats

sxiz

Smash Cadet
i actually don't tend to have many problems with kirby's ground speed... in the air he's incredibly frustrating because of how slow he is, but his dash seems fine to me. is it particularly slower than other characters (i can't get a good connection to go online, but dash can keep up with the computers easily) or is it his walk speed people have a problem with?

Last edited:

GrnFzzTgr

Smash Journeyman
NNID
GrnFzzTgr
3DS FC
4425-1713-9059
Computers behave much differently than human players so your not getting an even remotely accurate view of Kirby's problems. Both his air and ground speed are pretty bad. Because of it we don't really get to approach. People can just out run and out zone us all day. Our moves are also easily punished.

Unknownkid

Smash Lord
Nice. Congratulation! Thank you for representing Kirby! Also, do you use any other character beside the pink puff ball?

Last edited:

Asdioh

Not Asidoh
I like to play Fox and Megaman sometimes but I've only used Kirby. It would show other characters on there if I'd used them.

Kirby's not as bad as people here have been thinking, there's been too much pessimism :/

MaximTomato

Smash Cadet
3DS FC
1118-0313-9599
Hey guys, where do you spend most of your time practicing in smash. Is it in training on lv 9 CPU or in for glory? I'm trying to get better but people are nothing like lv 9 computers and For Glory has too much lag to really practice.

Mataata

Smash Cadet
NNID
Mataata
3DS FC
2964-8599-6875
Whenever I play Kirby I tend to do fairly well. I have a little trouble KOing other people, though.

Aunt Jemima

It's ya girl
I like to play Fox and Megaman sometimes but I've only used Kirby. It would show other characters on there if I'd used them.

Kirby's not as bad as people here have been thinking, there's been too much pessimism :/
I agree. I dunno why so much people act like Kirby's horrible. I mean, things such as approaches being punished or having a hard time keeping up strings is due to Sm4sh's absurdly stupid shield stun. It's not really a Kirby-related thing, it's a Sm4sh general thing. Also, some people seem to act like bad MUs (which every character has!) such as Greninja and Yoshi automatically mean that Kirby is a horrible character.

Howeveeerrrr, I still feel that Kirby is a bit too weak - he's slow, has no projectile, no priority, and no disjointed hitboxes despite incredibly laggy special moves. It's also hard to start combos against players who know what they're doing, as they'll punish everything you do due to the stupid Sm4sh mechanics.

Unknownkid

Smash Lord

Good to know. I was generally curious. I realize have been so focus on kirby I forget to practice my other mains. I don't think he is bad. I like the version of him. He could be better but I can deal with what I got.

Hey guys, where do you spend most of your time practicing in smash. Is it in training on lv 9 CPU or in for glory? I'm trying to get better but people are nothing like lv 9 computers and For Glory has too much lag to really practice.
Hmm... I guess all the above but mainly with friends. For Glory if I am really bored or lvl 9 computer is when I want to test a theory. If you go to twitch streams, you can find more decent level players. Jed is a good one.

Whenever I play Kirby I tend to do fairly well. I have a little trouble KOing other people, though.
What moves are you using? Remember, Fsmash kills 120-127, Dsmash kills 130-135 and Upsmash 123-128. Upsmash is best for heavy characters if they are in the middle of the stage. Bair kills, Stone kills, Hammer kills, DAIR GIMP! Don't rush your kills or spamming Smash attack. Look for or bait an opening and punish. Good Luck Star Warrior.

Asdioh

Not Asidoh
I just found this Brawl Kirby combo video, it's pretty good. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hRqbOnuxoog
I definitely miss Ledge Attack sending people at an angle behind you, offstage. It was extremely useful, rip :(
I also miss Fsmash killing stupidly early (like 52% on a MK at one point, wtf?) but I don't think that's a Kirby-specific nerf, most characters can't kill as early, but seem to rack up damage quicker to make up for it? (although then they made moves like Diddy Kong's new upair holy CRAP)
Don't be fooled by all those hammers they keep landing, those shouldn't work :p
We should test to see if jab locks still exist for kirby >_>
edit: yes, jabs don't work but Dtilt does. it's a little tough to follow, but something like Nair out of shield, if they don't tech, Dtilt 1-3 times, and then punish the auto standup with practically anything you want, such as a smash, grab, hammer, or inhale.
(this was tested on ROB in training mode, it starts knocking him down at about 37%)

Last edited:

Beethro

Smash Cadet
NNID
dernCereal
3DS FC
2621-3736-4780
i dunno if its my time maining kirby in project m has just warmed me up to enjoying kirby or if its on his own smash 4 merits, but kirby while not my best character, is definitely my favorite character to play in smash 4, at least at the moment. i feel kirby got indirectly buffed because of how much landing lag so many characters have while kirby has next to none on enough of his moves to get by in this meta. Also, ducking for days is the best thing ever and the fact that the character its most abusable vs is my least favorite character ever, zss, is just irresistable. also i really like copy abilities in this game.

before smash 4 i was a devout yellow-only kirby player but now it looks kinda ehh so i fluctuate between green red and blue (they didnt add grape or carbon :'[ ) although i definitely do counterpick colors when appropriate (particularly when they match the copy ability that i will likely grab), blue against sonic and megaman, yellow against pikachu and pacman, red vs mario, green vs luigi, and metaknight vs metaknight.
sadly, kirby's overall color options this game feel like they went from solid 95%'s all around to 88%'s, but theyre still pretty nice. i just miss the softer delicious yellow of the past compared to the primary striking yellow of the now. we're definitely still blessed compared to the 50 shades of yellow pacman and such.

the biggest disappointment to me is that kirby STILL doesnt have his slide attack from the kirby games :(( while i do love his current downtilt, i woulda been chuffed as chips to see the slide as his dtilt or even as a dash attack, especially if it had that falcon-kick-vs-a-wall bounceback effect on hit and on shield or something. and since they seemed to be giving that shield-retreat to a few characters, namely greninja's dair, and shiek and zss's down-b, it feels like a wasted oppurtunity. But alas, they gave the mobile dtilt to DEDEDE. like even if it sucked as a move i woulda loved it like my son. oh well lol his current dtilt is fantastic. i just am a sucker for canon moves; that was probably the biggest attraction of project m for me.
also kirby's more recent voice kinda throws me off especially since i havent played much kirby since i beat the true arena on kirby super star ultra a year or two ago. like i miss his melee dtaunt voice.

but other than that, yea low speed and weight is a bummer but with no brawl kirby experience to compare it to, i all around really like kirby in this game. yeah kirby may have bad matchups against greninja and yoshi but dammit every other character does too so im willing to look past it. I feel like you basically need secondaries as a lowtier player in this game anyway to cover the 51+ matchups, especially with how polarized and extreme some of the character strengths/weaknesses can be (little mac, duck hunt, sonic, rosaluma, shulk, lucario, and villager come to mind). so yea im prolly just gonna dual main him along with wario and maybe pit or something and see where that takes me.

ps is there a list of moves inhale outprioritizes? like how it will swallow a sonic ball-move but not an ike quick draw? that would be very nice to know i think. if its not already made here or somewhere else, i personally think it would be a cool list to have. edit: also duckables

Last edited:

Unknownkid

Smash Lord
I just found this Brawl Kirby combo video, it's pretty good. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hRqbOnuxoog
I definitely miss Ledge Attack sending people at an angle behind you, offstage. It was extremely useful, rip :(
I also miss Fsmash killing stupidly early (like 52% on a MK at one point, wtf?) but I don't think that's a Kirby-specific nerf, most characters can't kill as early, but seem to rack up damage quicker to make up for it? (although then they made moves like Diddy Kong's new upair holy CRAP)
Don't be fooled by all those hammers they keep landing, those shouldn't work :p
We should test to see if jab locks still exist for kirby >_>
edit: yes, jabs don't work but Dtilt does. it's a little tough to follow, but something like Nair out of shield, if they don't tech, Dtilt 1-3 times, and then punish the auto standup with practically anything you want, such as a smash, grab, hammer, or inhale.
(this was tested on ROB in training mode, it starts knocking him down at about 37%)
Damn! No wonder Sakurai "nerf" Kirby.

@ Beethro Beethro Good to hear bro. Keep up the good work. Yeah, an inhale list will be nice. What I know so far:
It beats :
Captain Falcon - Side B, Down B
Ganon - Side B, Down B
Jiggly - B
Yoshi - Side B
Fox and Falco - Side B (but not at their startup. Apparently, it has invincible frames at the beginning)
King Dedede - B ( This one was funny. If you jump and inhale you have 90% chance of catching him.) Sadly, I didn't record this match since I was testing this with a random ddd player in FG. We literally stopped and started experimenting.
Diddy Kong - Side B
Luigi - Side B
Pretty much everyone dash attack/grab minus well place Sword user dash attack, tether grab, Ness, Villager, Rosy and perhaps Greninja dash attack.

DblCrest

Smash Journeyman
NNID
DblCrest
3DS FC
0018-2708-3882
Blargh...I kind of need someone to confirm this but I think Olimar/Alphs Strong attack or even his neutral is enough to block Kirby's forward smash.
I'm thinking it's most likely his forward strong attack but still both attacks deflected off each other.

Granted this was on For Glory mode and I don't have the best internet or am I able to punish as effectively with a circle pad and input lag. But still can someone check?
I hope it's just a one time thing or else this would be pretty lame >.>

Vinylic.

Woke?
Switch FC
SW-5214-5959-4787
I usually just copy his ability and spam pikmin at him, so I don't fully know how to handle him despite pressuring.

~ Valkyrie ~

Holy Maiden Warrior
Premium
NNID
IndyGo98
3DS FC
2793-0906-0731
Switch FC
SW-7670-7999-3483
Patch 1.04 Changes on Kirby:

This is what I've found with Kirby. Please correct me if I'm wrong.

+ Feet-based attacks have a longer range
+ U-Smash is significantly faster, has a sour-spot that allows the move to reach farther
+ U-Air is much faster, has reduced landing lag, hitbox extended to hit BEHIND Kirby now.
+ Dash speed is increased

- Increased landing lag on N-Air, F-Air
- D-Air -> sourspotted U-Tilt no longer a combo (normal U-Tilt still is)
- Kirbycide KOs Kirby first now

* Hup Cancel is still in

GrnFzzTgr

Smash Journeyman
NNID
GrnFzzTgr
3DS FC
4425-1713-9059
noooo we don't need more landing lag on Nair! Its so useful with how it was. Why more landing lag on fair? We get punished enough for it. :(

Joy, Kirbycide is even more nerfed in a game filled with absurd recoveries

Sakurai, can we please get an air speed buff too?

Last edited:

SapphSabre777

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
4742-5094-9684
noooo we don't need more landing lag on Nair! Its so useful with how it was. Why more landing lag on fair? We get punished enough for it. :(

Joy, Kirbycide is even more nerfed in a game filled with absurd recoveries

Sakurai, can we please get an air speed buff too?
Thing is, landing lag with N-Air doesn't come to play if the animation for it has ended, so immediately going to N-Air with a full jump without a fast-fall makes sure that the landing lag is non-existent. This means N-Air's anti-air function is relatively unchanged. The landing lag nerf does not affect Kirby's combo potential with a sour-spotted N-Air (such as F-Tilt and such), so at the very least we still have that.

Also, the buffs for U-Smash/Air are massive. U-Air is downright ridiculous now with the patch, and may just be one of the best one-hit U-Airs in the game, and it allows Kirby to defend himself from opponents above him much more consistently, just adding to his aerial offense. Not only that, but U-Air is another landing option for Kirby, on top of the Hup Cancel, adding to Kirby's air-to-land options. Hitting behind with U-Air pretty much makes U-Air be an all-encompassing move around Kirby.

U-Smash being buffed is extremely good. Kirby now has another killing option after D-Tilt trips (it is THAT fast) and after more testing, because of the range buff...U-Tilts can combo into a sour-spot U-Smash, giving Kirby more damage options.

But the best buff combo is easily the first and last buffs. Kirby has a relatively decent dash now...and his range is almost back to Brawl status (yes, the F-Smash lunge shenanigans are back!), and when you combine that with how fast Kirby's attacks come out, the results can be downright dumb.

Of course, Kirby still has flaws, but these sets of buffs improve him exponentially. I almost think the N-Air, F-Air nerfs were necessary to an extent. XD

Last edited:

GrnFzzTgr

Smash Journeyman
NNID
GrnFzzTgr
3DS FC
4425-1713-9059
I don't feel like Nair and fair needed the nerfs. I rather liked sort hopped, Nairs. I also used them to fake approaches or to get people off of me at ground level.

Last edited:

MaximTomato

Smash Cadet
3DS FC
1118-0313-9599
Wow this sounds Awesome! Hopefully we have an easier time juggling opponents with the buff to U-Air. It sounds like it would make kirby a lot better overall since they improved his range of his feet given that we mostly kick. That gives us most of what we wanted, more range and more speed :)

Aunt Jemima

It's ya girl
Will be checking this out soon. More landing lag is a bit disappointing, honestly. Also, was Kirby's feet models made bigger?

GrnFzzTgr

Smash Journeyman
NNID
GrnFzzTgr
3DS FC
4425-1713-9059
I am not noticing any additional landing lag on nair for fair, but I did surprise a friend by killing him with f-mash "HOW DID THAT HIT ME, IT WASN'T NEAR ME"

Unknownkid

Smash Lord
I have never had a problem with Fsmash but Sakurai, you fix Kirby's Air Speed and D-throw right? Sakurai?!

Last edited:

Asdioh

Not Asidoh
So guys.. How is the transition from 3ds to Wii U? I don't have my game yet but I want to know what you guys think of Kirby now.
I'm playing with the gamepad right now since GC adapters are sold out, so I'm not really feeling it yet. I love the gamepad, I've used it for every WiiU game I have, but not so much for Smash. Anyway, the graphics are beautiful, the soundtrack's awesome (and there's more to unlock!) and there are some seriously awesome stages (and there's more to unlock!)

Last edited:

Unknownkid

Smash Lord
That's why you preorder, son! Unless you cannot preorder the gc adapter.
Anyways, that picture is Glorious! Do you think posting video will be easier/accessible?

Asdioh

Not Asidoh
Never mind I managed to get a GC controller and the last adapter! It's pretty sweet.
Haven't done too much so far, only thing I've noticed is that it's hard to hop with XY while charging hammer with B, but whatever you can just jump with the stick if you were so inclined.

GrnFzzTgr

Smash Journeyman
NNID
GrnFzzTgr
3DS FC
4425-1713-9059
I gave myself an extra grab and jump button for that, changed my L from shield to to Jump and Y from Jump to grab. Similiar to my 3ds layout. I'm loving how precise the controls feel with a real controller. Maybe I'll even be able to catch up to @ Aunt Jemima Aunt Jemima and @ Asdioh Asdioh skill wise once I finally re-adjust to a gamecube controller. (Hahaha, as if)

Asdioh

Not Asidoh
Off to a 'Game Underground' tournament today. It probably won't be streamed. I'm bringing my wiiu and might record a few replays, I dunno how well the camera can record the TV compared to the 3ds though.

Aunt Jemima

It's ya girl
Off to a 'Game Underground' tournament today. It probably won't be streamed. I'm bringing my wiiu and might record a few replays, I dunno how well the camera can record the TV compared to the 3ds though.
Record the GamePad instead. It's a lot easier, and works better. Just set it up like you'd set up the 3DS or something.

Now that the Wii U has dropped, I've been playing with all the Kirby colors, as usual. However, whereas in the 3DS (and literally every other Smash game) I had preferred Blue Kirby, I'm actually really liking Yellow Kirby. Probably going to play with him for now on.

Last edited:

Unknownkid

Smash Lord
White Kirby for Experimenting and having fun. Red Kirby for going fast and "Let's get Dangerous".

Rochette

Smash Cadet
Howeveeerrrr, I still feel that Kirby is a bit too weak - he's slow, has no projectile, no priority, and no disjointed hitboxes despite incredibly laggy special moves. It's also hard to start combos against players who know what they're doing, as they'll punish everything you do due to the stupid Sm4sh mechanics.
I really love Kirby but for everyone it's a fact that he was too weak in brawl. Lot of people give up on him. But I also notice that a lot of Kirby players underestimate Inhale in some match-up. In fact, with Kirby you could be awesome. You just need to have a really good knowledge of the Special of the whole cast.

I remember that using the special B against ZZS was almost an obligation against good players. Against characters with projectile, we had to notice that Kirby copy the ability but release it differently (like close to the ground where you can't crouch).

Can we use a taunt for avoiding some attack like in Brawl ? It was fun !

:kirby:

DblCrest

Smash Journeyman
NNID
DblCrest
3DS FC
0018-2708-3882
I might play Pink, White and orange because

Beam Kirby represent X3

Top Bottom