• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social Kirby & The Amazing Cats

ChocolateMagnums

Smash Rookie
NNID
C4ptainPlanetX
3DS FC
1736-1671-8586
Upper cutter gives me life. All of the up tilt set ups, and I don't know if it is just me, but seeing Kirby's free fall animation over the stage just takes me back to dreamland. xD Speaking of Match-Ups though, have any of you come up for strategies for the super aggressive, rush down Captain Falcon? I'm struggling against his approach.

Unknownkid

Smash Lord
Upper cutter gives me life. All of the up tilt set ups, and I don't know if it is just me, but seeing Kirby's free fall animation over the stage just takes me back to dreamland. xD Speaking of Match-Ups though, have any of you come up for strategies for the super aggressive, rush down Captain Falcon? I'm struggling against his approach.
Duck and leave out a hitbox from time to time. Capt only has 3-4 ways to approach you. It revolves around Dash Grab, Dash Attack, N-Air or B-air. You can duck all 4 of his approaches (though Dash Attack can be inconsistent). This will give you some breathing room and help you come up with a strategy to beat him. Keep in mind.. you cannot duck Side B or Down B but you leave a Jab, Ftilt or even Inhale to catch him.

Last edited:

Animekey

Smash Cadet
NNID
Animekey
3DS FC
2277-7760-6665
I played in the Online Hyped Tourney for 3DS last weekend, I was surprised how far I got with Kirby 3233. It was also probably my 4th tourney online. The folks who got me were, Shulk and R.O.B. Though, I was matched against him again. (The Tourney went Swiss, then Top Cut makes it to DE.) From what I remember, Shulk rushed me down quite a lot and I couldn't get any ground on him. The match proceeded better when I used his Monado, I felt like I shielded too much and that gave him quite the advantage. I could of probably won the MU with Monado if I kept pressure on him, and made sure when to attack and pursue.

The match against R.O.B wasn't truly that well also, I perfect guarded all his projectiles but still got caught in his long lasting Aerials. I managed to grab a hold of his Laser, that majorly helps against this Match Up. My memory is quite fuzzy afterwards. I know my jabs couldn't beat his, and I had trouble thinking of ways to approach.

Project SonicSpeed

Smash Journeyman
NNID
SonicSpeed432
3DS FC
0000-0000-0000
That nintendo direct was HYPE!! What better way to start it off then with a Mewtwo and Lucas reveal plus a patch with character balancing (Goodbye HOO-HAH and Bouncing fish), and Sakurai actually confirming smash DLC being a thing. BANDANA WADDLE DEE FOR DLC PLZ!!! ALL ABOARD THE HYPE TRAIN WOOOOOOOOOOOT!!!!!!
:happysheep::happysheep::happysheep::yeahboi:

Unknownkid

Smash Lord
I doubt Bouncing Fish is getting nerf. But I am sure Greninja is going to lose something. He always does.

Project SonicSpeed

Smash Journeyman
NNID
SonicSpeed432
3DS FC
0000-0000-0000
Lol so sad but so true. Everything else was sorta meh since nothing kirby related showed up so besides the smash, yoshi, and mario kart stuff I couldn't really care.

RedNova

Smash Apprentice
Writing Team
NNID
Sam-Harness
3DS FC
0516-8001-1795
I really, really hope they buff Kirby in the next patch. If only for buffing his down throw so it could actually combo into something. Everybody has a down throw combo

fromundaman

Henshin a go-go Baby!
NNID
Fromundaman
3DS FC
2105-9186-1496
If they make Kirby's Dthrow combo into Utilt, I will officially start being scared of Kirby.

Don't get me wrong, it's what I hope they do for him as he does need it, but his damage racking potential will get ridiculous and finally start to make him a threat.

Making final cutter sweet spot on the way up would be nice too; almost every other recovery in the game can after all. That change would finally make it a bit harder to gimp Kirby (Yeah, I don't think gimping Kirby is overly difficult. It's borderline tragic how susceptible he is to footstools.).

Last edited:

Asdioh

Not Asidoh
If they make Kirby's Dthrow combo into Utilt, I will officially start being scared of Kirby.

Don't get me wrong, it's what I hope they do for him as he does need it, but his damage racking potential will get ridiculous and finally start to make him a threat.
Agreed, but it's what he needs. He has the drawbacks of a glass cannon, now give him some of the benefits! He should not have such a weak reward for getting grabs, when he has a reasonably hard time even getting the grabs.

Making final cutter sweet spot on the way up would be nice too; almost every other recovery in the game can after all. That change would finally make it a bit harder to gimp Kirby (Yeah, I don't think gimping Kirby is overly difficult. It's borderline tragic how susceptible he is to footstools.).
Meh I don't mind FC the way it is, especially since you can just use Upper Cutter if you want a sweetspot. I think Wave Cutter could use some buffs though, like not having terrible horizontal momentum.

Also I've been playing on wifi a bit more lately! http://gfycat.com/FalsePlumpKestrel

Vinylic.

Woke?
Switch FC
SW-5214-5959-4787
Tbh, I think lucario couldn't survive without aura. That's what makes him viable.

Then again, that's ridiculous. That stage must have a higher ceiling than the rest of the omega stages.

Aunt Jemima

It's ya girl
I'll be honest, Kirby shouldn't have throw combos. He'd end up being broken if he could start his 50%+ combos off of a throw. Combine that with the second highest DPS on pummels and you have a Hoo-Hah broken grab game. Kirby should get buffed to fix his actual problems, which is his movement speed.

Poupoko

Smash Cadet
Hey everyone, fellow Kirby main here! I consider myself decent with Kirby and sometimes browse smashboards, but never really posted too much. Hopefully with the rebalancing we'd have something to look forward to!

While on the topic, what I hope to see in the patch is slightly more range on Kirby's aerials and slightly more KO power on smashes (less sourspots?). When you look at what Kirby has to work with right now, it's pretty disheartening:
- low ground speed
- low air speed
- low range
- average frame data on aerials and smashes
- average KO power (outside of stone + hammer)

Like, what the heck. It's hard enough to get close, but we have to do some major reading for KOs. Fortunately, his tilts are easy to hit with and rack up percent well enough. If Kirby's aerials are a bit more safe, that'd be really helpful. Making smashes KO a little more often can't hurt. And if they really wanted to make Kirby great, somehow making inhaling a little easier and giving Kirby a Blue Pikmin up throw would be neat.

Just my two cents, we'll see what happens though!

Last edited:

Project SonicSpeed

Smash Journeyman
NNID
SonicSpeed432
3DS FC
0000-0000-0000
Don't forget about the stupid random factor kirby has on his inhale where any random hit could get rid of it. I hope they change it so you only lose it by taunting in the next patch. Seriously, who thought thst was a good idea?

Bribery

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Bribery
3DS FC
3626-0596-6286
Something as simple as allowing Down Throw to combo into Up-Tilt would help Kirby a lot, especially if it could lead into Upper Cutter at kill %s. As he is currently, Kirby isn't threatening enough in close range to make up for his huge drawbacks imo.

In other news, Kirbytwo :happysheep:

Last edited:

Project SonicSpeed

Smash Journeyman
NNID
SonicSpeed432
3DS FC
0000-0000-0000
AHHH! My eyes! I can never unsee what I just saw! Kirbtwo is an abomination that'll haunt my nightmares for weeks. Thanks Bribery, thanks for that.

RedNova

Smash Apprentice
Writing Team
NNID
Sam-Harness
3DS FC
0516-8001-1795
Kirby should get buffed to fix his actual problems, which is his movement speed.
Did you know if in the last patch they modified someone's running/air speed? I would like too for those to increase, but I thinks that they'll probably just modify the knockback in his throws(if they decide to changr something, that is)

Unknownkid

Smash Lord
Something as simple as allowing Down Throw to combo into Up-Tilt would help Kirby a lot, especially if it could lead into Upper Cutter at kill %s. As he is currently, Kirby isn't threatening enough in close range to make up for his huge drawbacks imo.

In other news, Kirbytwo :happysheep:
Man, that is ugly. I believe a Mewtwo Hat would have been better. Also bad news, Mewtwo can now reflect projectiles. We need to be extra careful throwing Shadow Ball around.

I agree with Fromundaman's suggestions. I like for FC to sweetspot. I think Kirby having official throw combos will be nice. I will like for Dthrow to do something or Gonzo Combo to return. But I don't want him to become brain dead easy/overpower character like Luigi, Diddy and Sheik. I really want them to either fixed inhale (less ending lag or startup lag) and more airspeed.

Last edited:

Poupoko

Smash Cadet
Did you know if in the last patch they modified someone's running/air speed? I would like too for those to increase, but I thinks that they'll probably just modify the knockback in his throws(if they decide to changr something, that is)
No one's speeds really changed. I think that's a pretty absolute thing, since speed tiers in Brawl and this game are largely the same. Extra speed would be nice, but if they don't go that path, some more range would be good. Just think if bthrow -> bair worked on every character or if fthrow -> fair was also a real combo for putting people offstage. Even consistent fair -> fair would be really neat.

da K.I.D.

Smash Hero
I think they did make mario heavier in the wii u patch. But thats aboutnit.

Down throw doesnt need to combo in to up tilt, even if it could combo into f air or something that would be enough. Or even make up throw an actual kill throw, any kind of additional benefit frombhis grabdgrabs would be great enough to make him good. hed still lose to people who out manuver him. But thats ok. He doesnt have to win every matchup. I just want him to not be bad

Project SonicSpeed

Smash Journeyman
NNID
SonicSpeed432
3DS FC
0000-0000-0000
All i want from this patch is true throw combos on every character, faster air and ground speed, Making his KO options more powerful, and an inhale with less start-up, does 10% damage for star spit, and let's you keep the ability until you taunt so you don't have to worry about getting it hit out of you.

Last edited:

Altair357

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Altair357
3DS FC
5284-1411-2846
I tried to do an infinite with grounding stone -> up air -> foostool -> dtilt jab lock -> grounding stone -> repeat, but unfortunately it didn't work because you can't seem to footstool people when you pop them out of their buried state. Not enough hitstun or something like that.

ChocolateMagnums

Smash Rookie
NNID
C4ptainPlanetX
3DS FC
1736-1671-8586
Duck and leave out a hitbox from time to time. Capt only has 3-4 ways to approach you. It revolves around Dash Grab, Dash Attack, N-Air or B-air. You can duck all 4 of his approaches (though Dash Attack can be inconsistent). This will give you some breathing room and help you come up with a strategy to beat him. Keep in mind.. you cannot duck Side B or Down B but you leave a Jab, Ftilt or even Inhale to catch him.
This advice has made it to where Captain Falcon has to think in order to rush me down. xD I definitely needed this. Thank you so much.

Asdioh

Not Asidoh

Izaw's going to upload Art of Kirby I guess...? That'll be interesting

Unknownkid

Smash Lord
Woah... Rising Dair into Stone break shields? I cannot wait for Art of Kirby.

Last edited:

Aunt Jemima

It's ya girl
Wow, I'm really hoping that isn't put on the front page. There's so much false information. He should have come to these boards and asked us about things before putting it out, because now people will end up doing things that are ultimately worse compared to what could have been done...

Also, there's much more significant things that should have been included in the video, yet we have half the video filled with attacks that hit Kirby out of Stone, and random Copy Ability clips. He could have just as easily said that Kirby only takes 20% before being knocked out.

Asdioh

Not Asidoh
Yeah... I dunno. The video was pretty good, but wastes a ton of time with all the stone/copy ability stuff. The fire kirby part was good though :D

So what are the mistakes, for future reference? I can think of a few:
-overemphasizes the uptilt/upair combos. At one point you see Falcon's Knee start to come out in the middle of a combo, and when you think about how Knee is a frame 14 move, which is slow for an aerial, you realize that a lot of those combos could've been broken if he used Nair, or was comboing a different character.
-doesn't mention how bad Dair is vs shields
-doesn't mention how bair->bthrow (sourspot) is actually punishable because the endlag is longer than the hitstun. Also links to a recent thread instead of T!mmy's guide :/
-doesn't realize Dthrow is basically just an inferior version of Upthrow
-shows Bthrow killing at a % it never would, if DI was used
-I'm pretty sure those shieldbreaker combos shown would only work on little kids

Good stuff with the bthrow->techchase info, that's the kind of stuff we need to learn more of.

Unknownkid

Smash Lord
Fully Charged Hammer Flip doesn't break fresh shields.
There is super armor during the full charged swing...
He Hup Cancel Bthrow and Fthrow right? He didn't explain what Hup cancel was unless I missed it.
The Dthrow bit caught me by surprise. I mean Mike Kirby does it too, so I understand why he made that statement. Anyway...
I don't believe he mention Up throw can kill.

Overall, I like the video. That first half was good. The second half was meh. I guess he didn't have a lot of material. Maybe part 2 will be something. I don't know.

Asdioh

Not Asidoh

this is pretty good though :p

Did he say there was going to be an art of kirby 2? The description of this video says something about it..

Unknownkid

Smash Lord

this is pretty good though :p

Did he say there was going to be an art of kirby 2? The description of this video says something about it..
I assume so. He made an Art of Link 2. That Hammer Kill and Kirbicide.

Last edited:

RedNova

Smash Apprentice
Writing Team
NNID
Sam-Harness
3DS FC
0516-8001-1795
The only usefil thing I learned was to watch for the double jump and the bthrow -> tech chase. Other than that, too much time in the copy abilities and what can or cannot break stone, when it'/s obvious that 90% of the players will just grab

EDIT: at the time of the writing, the other video was not posted. Holy crap, that first three stock...

Last edited:

Bribery

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Bribery
3DS FC
3626-0596-6286
I liked Izaw's guide overall. The Bthrow tech-chase and Dair + Stone shieldbreaker were new to me at least. It would've been nice if he showed some combos or setups with copy abilities rather than just showing each ability. And the section on hitting Kirby out of Stone was a lot longer than it needed to be.

MikeKirby

OTL Winrar
What's everyone's c-stick preference? I use smash stick but I've been seriously considering using tilt stick for the past few months. I feel like smash stick's aerial control sometimes causes me to be short on a b-air. :ohwell:

Also, weird thing is, it seems you can combo b-throw>fastfalled hup cancel>f-tilt at arbitrary low percents on some characters (easier with tilt stick) but they're probably percentage and DI based... It looks cool, though.

Project SonicSpeed

Smash Journeyman
NNID
SonicSpeed432
3DS FC
0000-0000-0000
I personally use attack for my c-stick so I can do oos tilts. I don't really need to use the c-stick to smash since I find I find it easier to do smash attacks manually. I guess it would be better for oos smash attacks but I don't think it makes that much of a difference imo.

Top Bottom