• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social Kirby & The Amazing Cats

Aunt Jemima

It's ya girl
The new Down Throw is so good. I mean, what's not to love?! It's probably his best throw and got a huge buff from Brawl. Less damage, no combo potential, poor BKB and KBG... amazing!

fromundaman

Henshin a go-go Baby!
NNID
Fromundaman
3DS FC
2105-9186-1496
At least Dthrow is still the coolest looking grab ever.

Last edited:

LimitCrown

Smash Ace
NNID
LimitCrown
3DS FC
0903-2850-8324
Down throw's ending lag seems to prevent its combo potential more than the knockback would.

Last edited:

Altair357

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Altair357
3DS FC
5284-1411-2846
Down throw's ending lag seems to prevent its combo potential more than the knockback would.
Yeah. You could definitely down throw to Upper Cutter if it didn't have ending lag.

Last edited:

Unknownkid

Smash Lord
Metaknight does it better and look! He can follow up. Sakurai hates Kirby, guys. Palutena is his new waifu.
This still is not going to stop me from using him and owning people with him. The challenge is fun and dancing on character's head/body never gets old. At least we can punish luma for standing there when Rosy is stunned.

RedNova

Smash Apprentice
Writing Team
NNID
Sam-Harness
3DS FC
0516-8001-1795
Hey everyone!
I'm usually not very active in the character discussion (or active in general...) but I'll try my best. It's nice to see so many Kirby mains, that gives me strength.

I will be participating in a local doubles tournament using Kirby, alongside my friend's Megaman. I'll report the results in the respective thread. Wish me luck!

Can't argue with that. I still use it sometimes just because of how cool it looks.

I know I should stop.
And yeah, same. I just don't realize that I'm doing the bad throw until after the animation ends.

fromundaman

Henshin a go-go Baby!
NNID
Fromundaman
3DS FC
2105-9186-1496
Hey it's not all bad; like I mentioned about a dozen pages ago, Dthrow does make Kirby invincible during a good portion of the animation, it has a small AoE hitbox around it and the knockback is fairly consistent making it a good throw for teams. I mention the consistent knockback part because it gives your teammate easy footstools.

Asdioh

Not Asidoh
Yeah. You could definitely down throw to Upper Cutter if it didn't have ending lag.
Reserved and I (or just him I don't remember) tested this and it actually does combo! But I don't remember if it was DI dependent, or you could airdodge, etc. I'm pretty sure it counted as a true combo in training mode though. Of course, that was basically only at 0%, and it only does 16 damage, and you could get almost that much from pummels+upthrow and then be in a better position to followup (because the freefall from upper cutter doesn't let you follow up well at low percent)

Altair357

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Altair357
3DS FC
5284-1411-2846
Reserved and I (or just him I don't remember) tested this and it actually does combo! But I don't remember if it was DI dependent, or you could airdodge, etc. I'm pretty sure it counted as a true combo in training mode though. Of course, that was basically only at 0%, and it only does 16 damage, and you could get almost that much from pummels+upthrow and then be in a better position to followup (because the freefall from upper cutter doesn't let you follow up well at low percent)
Huh, that's pretty neat. Some reason to dance on your opponent's face, if nothing else.

Last edited:

RedNova

Smash Apprentice
Writing Team
NNID
Sam-Harness
3DS FC
0516-8001-1795
Hey it's not all bad; like I mentioned about a dozen pages ago, Dthrow does make Kirby invincible during a good portion of the animation, it has a small AoE hitbox around it and the knockback is fairly consistent making it a good throw for teams. I mention the consistent knockback part because it gives your teammate easy footstools.
Yeah, i guess. It still looks cool, tho. I would test it in doubles

da K.I.D.

Smash Hero
How hard is it to hit people with grounding stone on the ground? And can you mash out of it?

I just learned that grounding stone has a ridiculously low amount of end lag when transforming back. The knockback and damage is wack but if theres any situation where i can get it on a standing opponent even semi reliably, i dont care.

I just took it to training mode. It does 18 with the air and ground hitbox. And i dont know if you can get out sooner, but if you cant, you can just mash down b on them for massive damage because the rock does not unearth them.

if this works you can do
down b(1), un rock, re rock(2),, un rock, re rock(3), un rock, falling up air, full jump up air, jump upper cutter.
before this sequence the dummy is at 50. After this sequence the dummy is at 134 and is dead off the top.

Thats an 85 percent combo, and even if you can only do it twice, thats like 60+ percent. so I really need to know how legit this is.

I got the idea from the stuff in this video
SSB4 Some Custom Move Combos: https://youtu.be/fhanK-GQQMY

Last edited:

Bribery

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Bribery
3DS FC
3626-0596-6286
How hard is it to hit people with grounding stone on the ground? And can you mash out of it?

I just learned that grounding stone has a ridiculously low amount of end lag when transforming back. The knockback and damage is wack but if theres any situation where i can get it on a standing opponent even semi reliably, i dont care.

I just took it to training mode. It does 18 with the air and ground hitbox. And i dont know if you can get out sooner, but if you cant, you can just mash down b on them for massive damage because the rock does not unearth them.

if this works you can do
down b(1), un rock, re rock(2),, un rock, re rock(3), un rock, falling up air, full jump up air, jump upper cutter.
before this sequence the dummy is at 50. After this sequence the dummy is at 134 and is dead off the top.

Thats an 85 percent combo, and even if you can only do it twice, thats like 60+ percent. so I really need to know how legit this is.

I got the idea from the stuff in this video
SSB4 Some Custom Move Combos: https://youtu.be/fhanK-GQQMY
It's already hard enough to hit normal Stone on the ground. Grounding Stone has a slightly longer startup so its a bit easier for opponents to see coming. :p

You can mash out of being buried. If you set the CPU to 'Attack' or 'Run', in training mode, they'll escape from being buried faster than normal (at least in the 3DS version).

I've always felt that Grounding Stone was more for recovery purposes for when you need to get back to the stage ASAP. It's much safer than the other stones since it has much less end lag. Being able to bury the opponent and follow up with combos is a nice plus, but isn't likely to occur often.

Last edited:

fromundaman

Henshin a go-go Baby!
NNID
Fromundaman
3DS FC
2105-9186-1496
Maybe the use of grounded stone lies in teams? Will it bury if they are grabbed by your ally? Can you footstool into grounded stone for the bury effect?

RedNova

Smash Apprentice
Writing Team
NNID
Sam-Harness
3DS FC
0516-8001-1795
I prefer meteor stone. I usually don't use stone very much, so having a surprise meteor that can kill at 10% is really, really good.

da K.I.D.

Smash Hero
Footstool will not work, it doesnt bury people if they are already grounded. Which i guess makes sense when i say it like that. out of a partners grab im not sure about tho.

And yes, i typically use meteor for the same reason. Which is why it took me so long to play around with this. Normal stone is best for most matchups tho. But meteor is great againat anyone that has to go up at a steep angle to make the ledge with an up b or is predictable. Mario, luigi, mac, ganon, falcon, marth, lucina, sometimes fox and falco. Bowser, dk. People like that

RedNova

Smash Apprentice
Writing Team
NNID
Sam-Harness
3DS FC
0516-8001-1795
And yes, i typically use meteor for the same reason. Which is why it took me so long to play around with this. Normal stone is best for most matchups tho. But meteor is great againat anyone that has to go up at a steep angle to make the ledge with an up b or is predictable. Mario, luigi, mac, ganon, falcon, marth, lucina, sometimes fox and falco. Bowser, dk. People like that
Yes, and combining that with the ridiculous height of Upper Cutter, you can save yourself despite M.S longer de-transformation time. Just remember to gain someheight before trying to spike them

Altair357

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Altair357
3DS FC
5284-1411-2846
Well, if you ask me, the main way to connect with Grounding Stone seems to be to read a dash grab or dash attack, jump up, and ground them while they're in the ending lag of their whiffed move.

Though of course, you can also jab lock into Grounding Stone.

XStarWarriorX

[Get Ready]
Any kirby's goin to evo? I feel like going, not sure due to life but if i decide to throw it all away then maybe. I think i got my kirby at a good level, though my mk needed major work but proud to say i finally got back to what i was before in the brawl days. Randomly seeing RRR's melee combos, i have the urge of entering melee as well. Just for the lolz. Havent ever got knocked out from the get go in tourney play tho evo is a different beast. If i decide to go ill be around the socal area goin to locals beforehand.

Project SonicSpeed

Smash Journeyman
NNID
SonicSpeed432
3DS FC
0000-0000-0000
So i found this critique of MikeKirby lurking in a youtube comments section on jtails's kirby guide today.
"Mikekirby is probably the best known Kirby, and I don't even think he's THAT good after watching him at a tournament against NinjaLink and JohnNumbers yesterday. He can do some crazy combo **** with Kirby, but his defensive game isn't that good. A lot of the time he stalls in sheild and misses punish opportunities, and even when he gets a punish opportunity, it's always a grab, when he can go for something much more rewarding, like F-Smash, since Kirby's F-Smash has the least startup in the game. But F-Smash shouldn't be used as a punish up-close though (unless the opponent is in the air), instead grab is the choice, and grab is the only choice for run punishes. When Mikekirby gets launched offstage, the way he gets back is easily punishable as he stalls in the air which makes Kirby vulnerable as he's light and floaty, meaning he's easy to hit. I've also noticed Mikekirby make alot of mistakes, like at a time Mikekirby was at 90% and Megaman at 115% and used U-Smash which didn't hit meaning Mikekirby got a hard punish opportunity, he went for a U-Smash eventhough he was not physically close enough for it to hit, when he could've gone with F-Smash which has more range and no sourspot unlike U-Smash. He also used Final Cutter in the wrong direction a few times when recovering and costed a stock. Not saying he's bad, but he just doesn't seem to play Kirby at his potential for me. Hoping he improves and proves me otherwise. If not, ChuDat is my only hope."
MikeKirby i'm curious as to what you think about this criticism? Also lol he doesn't know that Chu quit Kirby for sheik.

Last edited:

Altair357

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Altair357
3DS FC
5284-1411-2846
>reading YouTube comments

While that guy seems to raise some valid points, Mike has the results to prove that he is good. I think he consistently places well at Smash Attack and Nebulous, and he placed at Apex.

Not denying that Mike makes mistakes, obviously he isn't the best player in the world. But mistakes don't mean you aren't good, and Mike has the results.

Last edited:

Project SonicSpeed

Smash Journeyman
NNID
SonicSpeed432
3DS FC
0000-0000-0000

While that guy seems to raise some valid points, Mike has the results to prove that he is good. I think he consistently places well at Smash Attack and Nebulous, and he placed at Apex.

Not denying that Mike makes mistakes, obviously he isn't the best player in the world. But mistakes don't mean you aren't good, and Mike has the results.
Yea, exactly sure Mike slips up here and there but in the heat of the moment everyone chokes and does dumb things but what matters is that he learned from his mistakes and tries again which i think is fairly obvious that he did, Yea Mike might not be winning majors but he's far from average and at least he has the guts to main his favorite character instead of switching to a top tier for better results(and i'm not defending or excusing his loses at those tournaments for him picking a "worse" character either).
:4kirby::4dedede::4metaknight:

Lol i know i have to stop doing that XD.

Last edited by a moderator:

Zethoro

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Zethor
So i found this critique of MikeKirby lurking in a youtube comments section on jtails's kirby guide today.
"Mikekirby is probably the best known Kirby, and I don't even think he's THAT good after watching him at a tournament against NinjaLink and JohnNumbers yesterday. He can do some crazy combo **** with Kirby, but his defensive game isn't that good. A lot of the time he stalls in sheild and misses punish opportunities, and even when he gets a punish opportunity, it's always a grab, when he can go for something much more rewarding, like F-Smash, since Kirby's F-Smash has the least startup in the game. But F-Smash shouldn't be used as a punish up-close though (unless the opponent is in the air), instead grab is the choice, and grab is the only choice for run punishes. When Mikekirby gets launched offstage, the way he gets back is easily punishable as he stalls in the air which makes Kirby vulnerable as he's light and floaty, meaning he's easy to hit. I've also noticed Mikekirby make alot of mistakes, like at a time Mikekirby was at 90% and Megaman at 115% and used U-Smash which didn't hit meaning Mikekirby got a hard punish opportunity, he went for a U-Smash eventhough he was not physically close enough for it to hit, when he could've gone with F-Smash which has more range and no sourspot unlike U-Smash. He also used Final Cutter in the wrong direction a few times when recovering and costed a stock. Not saying he's bad, but he just doesn't seem to play Kirby at his potential for me. Hoping he improves and proves me otherwise. If not, ChuDat is my only hope."
MikeKirby i'm curious as to what you think about this criticism? Also lol he doesn't know that Chu quit Kirby for sheik.
It's easy to critique others when watching them. It's not easy to critique yourself in the heat of the moment. Even ZeRo makes mistakes that most players can notice.

Last edited:

WolfieXVII ❂

stay woke
NNID
tresxvii
3DS FC
4699-5598-8215
Opinions on bthrow
Dair>bthrow>dair>bthrow
Coincidence that the vid is mine

Last edited:

Project SonicSpeed

Smash Journeyman
NNID
SonicSpeed432
3DS FC
0000-0000-0000
Opinions on bthrow
Dair>bthrow>dair>bthrow
I'm almost certain that can be di'd out of which means it's not a true combo dude.
I'm almost certain that can be di'd out of which means it's not a true combo, sorry dude i wish it was real too man. :ohwell:

Last edited by a moderator:

Triple R

Smash Lord
Yeah, Youtube comment guy is probably a complete noob. I wouldn't trust a guy that says Kirby's fsmash doesn't have a sourspot either.

kirbyfan66

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Kirbyfan66
Mike Kirby just has a playstyle that this YouTube commenter didn't agree with. We all have different ways to play Kirby, which is what makes him fun. Watching me play at Tri Smash and watching Mike Kirby play at Apex are two very different Kirby's. It's entertaining, varied, and all around fun.

RedNova

Smash Apprentice
Writing Team
NNID
Sam-Harness
3DS FC
0516-8001-1795
Mike Kirby just has a playstyle that this YouTube commenter didn't agree with. We all have different ways to play Kirby, which is what makes him fun.
One thing that I absolutley love about smash, is that, even if two people use the same character, each player's playstyle is really noticeable.

When I watch a stream, and one person is playing as someone I main, my first thought is "Wow, he's not that good, maybe I can take him" but as I watch more of the match, I realize that it's only that his/her playstyle is different from mine, and thats good. Some tactics work for them that wouldn't work for me. And by looking at different playstyles, you can develop your own unique one

MikeKirby

OTL Winrar
Yeah, I've made mistakes. He pointed them out well because even I myself saw them and critiqued myself. I look to make better decisions if I'm ever in the same situation again. Like he said, I tried to punish with an u-smash and failed pretty badly but if you keep watching the set I learned from that and punished with f-smash the second time around. I'm only human and still trying to learn like the rest of us~

Asdioh

Not Asidoh
Everybody makes mistakes! When I watch a replay of myself and I see something that was clearly an input error, I know someone else would point that out as a bad option or whatever, when I'm the only one who knows I meant to press ___ and instead pressed ___.

But yeah, don't read youtube comments!

Also, I think Mike is the best Kirby I've seen yet. There are some other really good ones too, but Mike seems to get the most consistent results, against what seem to be very good players. Good reaction time, good baiting/reads, and a very patient (which can equal boring for some people) playstyle. So random youtube guy doesn't know what he's talking about, especially when he says incorrect things, like Kirby's Fsmash having the "least startup in the game" and "no sourspot" heh.

I'm going to a tourney Saturday, hopefully all my Monster Hunter play has gotten me better at baiting and punishing and reading habits (since that's the majority of what gameplay in MH is about)

Altair357

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Altair357
3DS FC
5284-1411-2846
Good luck at the tourney, Asdioh.

Kinda unrelated, but I fought you on 3DS For Glory a long time ago. You were the first good Kirby I'd ever seen in this game, and you made me want to improve a lot. So thanks for that.

Asdioh

Not Asidoh
Did we? :O that's cool. Were you playing Kirby? Kirbys have been almost nonexistent from what I've seen on FG.
I probably won't even touch FG before the tourney, I'll just practice a bit offline, it'll be nice to be used to playing without lag.

RedNova

Smash Apprentice
Writing Team
NNID
Sam-Harness
3DS FC
0516-8001-1795
Hey, good luck out there. Make us proud!

As for myself, I don't have a lot of practice, cause I only own the 3ds version, but I hope I can do well. In the next month, I'm gonna attend to 2 tournaments in my area, with one more I'll be hostin myself. I will report all the results in the Kirby Tournament thread, so stay tuned!

Top Bottom