• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Kirby Matchups

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rochette

Smash Cadet
There are no point to do MU chart at this point... Nevertheless I agree with some MU.

GrnFzzTgr

Smash Journeyman
NNID
GrnFzzTgr
3DS FC
4425-1713-9059
Was playing with @ Aunt Jemima Aunt Jemima and trying to deal with Toon link. I found the match up so frustrating I almost threw my controller, and then I lost all motivation.

Against a toon link, it feels Like Kirby has almost no real options. TLink out ranges us with his disjointed hitboxes, he can control the stage with his three projectiles, preventing us from getting in, his grab is able to grab us from over a Kirby's length away, and his bombs, oh god the bombs. Bombs can stop upper cutter. Also he's faster than us on the ground and in the air.

Any time that I won, was probably because of pressure I put on @ Aunt Jemima Aunt Jemima , especially off stage. Does anybody have any tidbits or their own opinions about this match-up?

It feel like it might be a hard counter to Kirby.

Last edited:

Rochette

Smash Cadet
Catching the bombs in air when it's possible. Inhale and throw in star the TL off stage and gimp. I also begin to use the hammer when I have 100%. I kill some TL by baiting D-air at the edge of the stage, directional shielding, they slide on the shield and fall.

GrnFzzTgr

Smash Journeyman
NNID
GrnFzzTgr
3DS FC
4425-1713-9059
Are these for glory toon links, because this won't work to well on a skilled toon link. It seems like they can completely shut kirby down and wall us out. They can also kill much earlier than we can.

Rochette

Smash Cadet
It always depends of the opponent. But that's true that they kill us more earlier. FG have some skilled toon link, they 2-stock me sometime. But I don't feel Kirby outclassed when I analyse replays.

Aunt Jemima

It's ya girl
Being the Toon Link player, I'll give my personal thoughts on this MU. Toon Link was my secondary in Brawl, and once again in Sm4sh, so I feel I have an adequate amount of knowledge to give my thoughts on this MU. This is all from personal experience, so this may change over time.

While I'd never go to say that Toon Link is a true counter to Kirby, I'd say that this MU is HEAVILY in favor of him. Kirby's main weaknesses are fast characters, disjointed hitboxes, projectiles, and heavyweights. Toon Link is a fast character that has a disjointed hitboxes on every single one of his moves, along with some of the best projectiles in the game. Now, this all means nothing until we truly look into what he can do with this. While fighting against Toon Link, Kirby is forced to approach. No matter what, he has to. You can easily duck under his arrows, but the boomerang and bombs won't be so forgiving to our pink puffball. The main problem is how to approach Toon Link. If you try an aerial approach, he can easily throw his boomerang upwards to hit you and cover the air. If you try a grounded approach, he can throw bombs at you and pelt you with arrows. The main difference with him is that he can cover both air and ground at the same time. This screws Kirby over, as then he has incredible trouble approaching. Along with that, if Kirby does approach, Toon Link has a few advantages here as well. First of all, he has a sword. His tilts all come out fairly fast and smack Kirby right away, his jab will easily combo into itself with decent knockback on the last hit, his aerials, albeit having quite a bit of landing lag, all have crazy knockback (they're actually kill moves) and do quite a bit of damage. Along with that, Toon Link has the grappling hook, which travels around the length of two Kirbys. Toon Link is incredibly fast, especially compared to Kirby, allowing him to easily run away into a new camping spot, so it really isn't easy to catch him.

Along with that, there's quite a bit that Toon Link can do to Kirby with his moveset. Due to Kirby being so light and Toon Link being so fast, he can easily follow up on his projectiles to rack up damage. Using Jump Cancelled Throws with his bombs, Toon Link can literally slide around the stage while covering himself at the same time, which can also be used to retreat away from Kirby. He can also set up kills through bombs and the boomerang, force Kirby into his shield and then punish him, and juggle him for days. While Kirby is recovering, Toon Link can easily throw bombs at him to stage spike him, and due to how slow he is in the air and Final Cutter's lack of protection, you won't be able to defend yourself unless you airdodge the whole entire time. While Kirby is getting up from the ledge, Toon Link can easily cover his options by standing right in rolling distance. He can JCT a bomb upwards to catch a ledge hop, can JCT it forward to hit Kirby if he stands up, does a ledge attack, or does a ledge aerial, and can JCT a retreating bomb to hit Kirby if he rolls onto the stage. He also has the boomerang flying about, which can hit you if you dodge the bomb.

In terms of killing, Kirby does not have an easy time, while Toon Link doesn't have it as bad (especially in this MU). Kirby needs to use Smash Attacks to kill, which is incredibly hard to land when you're nowhere near Toon Link. Along with that, all his smash attacks have decent start-up and tons of endlag. Whereas, for Toon Link, he has it pretty easy. He can use the boomerang and bombs to combo Kirby into an U-Air, F-Air, or B-Air. He can use his projectiles to force Kirby into a situation (ie: airdodge into the ground, shield, retreat) that he can react to with a running U-Smash. Along with that, he can kill Kirby incredibly early by edgeguarding him with a F-Air. Oh, and he can kill Kirby at around 100%~ with his B-Throw. I believe it kills around 85% near the ledge, too. Kirby's D-Air can easily be interrupted by an exploding bomb in Toon Link's hand or a returning boomerang, which really doesn't help. Also, Kirby can't really rely on pummels and throws as a returning boomerang will easily save Toon Link - yesterday, I even broke out of Kirby's U-Throw (which resulted in him dying as we were in the blast zone) by a returning boomerang.

With that said, there's still a couple more problems. Despite Inhaling being hard enough as is, if Kirby goes for an Inhale, Toon Link can throw a bomb into his mouth for 5% damage to Kirby and a free punish with any move. Even if Kirby did eat Toon Link, his arrows don't help nearly as much as Link's due to being tremendously slow, doing minimal damage, having barely any hitstun, and the fact that the Hylian Shield will block all of Kirby's arrows. Toon Link is very easily edgeguarded, although there's a few things Toon Link can do to save himself. Throwing a bomb upwards before recovering has a few results. If Kirby tries to D-Air Toon Link at that moment, he will either explode from damaging the bomb too much, or send the bomb back at Toon Link, which lets him use his recovery move again. Also, Toon Link can cover himself from horizontal edgeguards by throwing a bomb for protection, or just using the hookshot.

The only advantage I'd really say Kirby has over Toon Link is that he's easily juggled as nobody ever uses D-Air due to being such a laggy and predictable move. Although due to Kirby's feet being vulnerable during U-Air, I'm sure that he could easily be knocked out of his juggle by Toon Link's N-Air.

ChronoPenguin

Smash Champion
3DS FC
4253-4494-4458
Here's my quick MU chart for Kirby:

Good/Possibly Favorable::4littlemac::4olimar::4villager::4zelda::4charizard::4falco::4shulk:

Even: :4robinm::4duckhunt::4dk::4mario::4drmario::4megaman::4jigglypuff::4luigi::4peach::4pikachu::4pacman::4samus::4zss::4tlink::4ness::4gaw::4darkpit::4fox::4ganondorf::4pit::4palutena::4wiifit::4bowser::4bowserjr::4dedede:

Hard/Bad::4wario2::4link::4lucario::4greninja::4falcon::4metaknight::rosalina::4diddy::4sonic::4lucina::4marth::4rob::4yoshi::4sheik:
Shulk is favorable for Kirby how. If you're betting on monado arts you'll rarely see because inhale is trash. Good luck. Kirby has low landing lag and fast tilts but has poor engage vs Shulk whom holds all the cards especially strong anti air.

Rochette

Smash Cadet
I thinks it's depends how you're playing and who you're facing !
My opinion : Yoshi, Rosalina

GrnFzzTgr

Smash Journeyman
NNID
GrnFzzTgr
3DS FC
4425-1713-9059
Lucario, Marth/Lucina, Greninja, Links, Yoshi, Rosalina Anybody who has more range, speed, projectiles and disjoints

Last edited:

kirby_queen

Smash Lord
I would personally put Zelda in the bad or even match up. I don't think she's the worst match up at all but for some reason I personally find her annoying. Especially with the projectile blasts and spin reflect. I actually don't remember my matches against her too much but I feel like she might have been a pain.

Sparky15

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Elec-Wolf
3DS FC
2578-3364-0347
Can anyone please explain how Kirby can do against Mario? I personally think that's an atrocious time for Kirby. Mario has just the right amount of KO moves for him, I don't know how to PROPERLY break Mario's combos, regardless of air-dodging and midair jumping. If one were to utilize Kirby's Inhale to copy Mario's Fireball, Mario has his Cape, anyway. And worst of all, Kirby CANNOT crouch under Mario's grab. What a pain...

The only positive thing about Kirby's MU against Mario, I think, is that he can N-air through Mario's Fireballs. Its something, right?

Mazdamaxsti

Smash Lord
NNID
Mazdamaxsti
In my opinion, the Sonic match-up is a REALLY bad one, not as bad as Yoshi, but pretty bad. Inhale bears side + down B, but Sonic is fast, inhale is a slow startup, only a hard read will work.
U-air being an excellent kill move for Sonic, and Kirby juggled by it + killed by it earlier, it's hard to counter. Spring edge-guarding is hard to deal with if they do it right, and more.

The G&W MU is also pretty bad, considering Kirby's dair being almost essential for gimping, and G&W U-air shoves that away. He can also attack when falling after up-B, and he has decent kill moves.

Other bad MUs: Yoshi, Diddy Kong (50:50 wat), Toon Link, and Jigglypuff.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom