• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Kingdom Hearts Re: Chain of Memories

Drclaw411

Smash Lord
Whats that? I think i hear...yep, the PS2's swan song.

The last major release for the PS2 is coming out on December 2nd of this year. (A day and year from the day brawl came out....oh, wait...)

Not exactly Kingdom Hearts 3, but Kingdom Hearts Re: Chain of memories is finally something new for fans of the series. Completley 3D re-made version of the popular and well received GBA game, Kingdom Hearts Re: Chain of Memories retains the card battle system (unfortunatle?).

Here is the game at GameStop: http://www.gamestop.com/Catalog/ProductDetails.aspx?sku=281994

Ori_bro

ignite the fire
god i am going to buy this
kingdom hearts is such a great game i have every (US) game and i know a guy who is going to stream KH3 for me to watch

Minato

穏やかじゃない
PS2's swan song? The PS2 is still churning out games, and I think Persona 4 should be getting some recognition.

K64

Smash Apprentice
PS2's swan song? The PS2 is still churning out games, and I think Persona 4 should be getting some recognition.
Oh, so true. If I get this game my brother will kill me. He's just mad cuz he can't "play his cards right" in GBA version. I had to teach a person how to make it seem like the normal battle menu... with cards of course.

Minato

穏やかじゃない
The card system is so easy in KH: COM.

In Re:COM, Sonic Blade literally breaks the game. I love Chain of Memories.

DARKALONDITE

Smash Apprentice
Nooo!!!!!! I hated the card battle system!! Why do they bring it back!! It was easy when you got used to it but I still hated it. But, the game was difficult which was a good change of pace from recent games.

Circus

Rhymes with Jerkus
BRoomer
you bet ya. Kh rocks hard all of the way. Cannot wait for coded, 358/2 days, and birth by sleep!
I can wait for Coded. In fact, I can completely skip Coded. Glad someone's excited for it though (even though I'm pretty sure there's no way anyone outside of Japan will be able to play it).

The arrival of Re:CoM is pretty neat; I didn't expect the rest of the world to get it. I'll probably grab it if it gets voice acting. If not, I might pass on it.

OmegaXXII

Fire Emblem Lord/ Trophy Hunter
I am actually hyped for this, even if it's based on a card game, my KH fandom still makes me want to get this bad, though, but not as badly as KH3.

Wrath`

Smash Master
YEs I will get this, but is it goning to have Final mix+? the KH2 with the extra stuff? thats the one I want, cause in Japan that KH2Final mix+ came with RE:chain of memories.

OmegaXXII

Ugh. Hate the card battling system.

But getting to see the story of this game in 3D will be nice, I must say.
I feel the same way, just looking at in 3D graphics made this game that much better from the GBA version which I never tried out because of graphic limitatations.

man, it should have been a release of KH2 w/Final Mix+ plus RE:, who awesome would that had been, oh well, at least were getting a consolation for it.

Drclaw411

Smash Lord
I am pumped for a new KH game, it's making me want to play through the first 2 again...but part of me wants to know why the sack they were porting a GBA game to the PS2 when they could have been working on KH3 or getting the DS and PSP games confirmed for USA...

-Rei-

Saviour of PacWest
man i have been waiting for this for the longest time ever.
when my cousin was stationed in japan i asked him to by me it with final mix.
he told me no. lol.

Final Mix will never come to the US, just like final fantasy international versions. =[

Chill

Red
BRoomer
Hey, at least we get this. I'll be picking it up but it's a shame it's not going to be final mix.

Drclaw411

Smash Lord
freaking dumb card battle system. im still getting this game, but seriously one of the best battle systems ever gets replaced with this discount bin gimic.

The Slayer

RAWR!
NNID
Ren
3DS FC
1778-9825-9960
I'll just wait for Birth By Sleep to come out. Re:CoM isn't too interesting with that card battle system it has.

Minato

穏やかじゃない
For all those that don't want to buy the game because of the card battling system or have never played it before, you should at least rent it. It's actually a fun game.

Jimnymebob

Smash Champion
NNID
Jimnymebob
How complicated is the card battling, because it looks confusing when I see people playing, but is it one of those games that if you do the tutorial you'll understand what everything means?

PKNessEB

Smash Journeyman
I have enjoyed the card battles from the GBA version,so I will grab this game as soon as it is released.Been waiting a long time for this as well.

There's a tutorial at the start on the GBA version,so that will still be there on the remake I'm sure.
Although I sometimes played the game stacking different attack cards randomly.

Jimnymebob

Smash Champion
NNID
Jimnymebob
I have enjoyed the card battles from the GBA version,so I will grab this game as soon as it is released.Been waiting a long time for this as well.

There's a tutorial at the start on the GBA version,so that will still be there on the remake I'm sure.
Although I sometimes played the game stacking different attack cards randomly.
So there probably will be a tutorial?
Thank you for the info PKNessEB :)

Minato

穏やかじゃない
There is a tutorial in the remake, just like the GBA one.

The battle system isn't complicated at all. Your cards are just your actions like attacking, casting, and item usage. It may sound complicated when your reading about it, but it's really simple.

Jimnymebob

Smash Champion
NNID
Jimnymebob
There is a tutorial in the remake, just like the GBA one.

The battle system isn't complicated at all. Your cards are just your actions like attacking, casting, and item usage. It may sound complicated when your reading about it, but it's really simple.
Yay!
Not complicated :laugh:

SkylerOcon

Tiny Dancer
It's incredibly simple. And fun. You can do a lot of awesome **** in CoM that you can't do in KH1 or 2.

Circus

Rhymes with Jerkus
BRoomer
To be fair to the devs, the card system isn't that bad. Once you know what you're doing, it's fun. It just requires a little more strategy than KH, which most people don't like (and I admit, I prefer the mindless button mashing of the main games). And you've gotta give them credit for at least weaving the cards into the storyline. The cards aren't just the battle system; they're linked to the plot.

Although Riku's story got way irritating sometimes since he, for whatever obscure reason, can't customize his deck, like Sora can. So when the game gives you six 1's in a row, you just get ****ed.

SkylerOcon

Tiny Dancer
What were the creators of Chain of Memories on when they decided a card system was a good idea?
Awesome juice.

The cards introduce a very original and innovative fighting system to the KH games. You have different keyblades each at a different value which will decide their power over your enemies cards. The sleight system is awesome and gives a level of depth that can't be achieved by KH1 and KH2.

I'm surprised anybody dislikes this. Unless you like mindlessly mashing the X button to win fights. Really, who liked doing the peak trick to get Sora to level 99 in KH2? It was so boring.

OmegaXXII

Hmm.. well after reading some of these reviews, I am surprised as to why people dislike the KH card system, I definetly am willing to try this now that i've heard these optimistics reviews.

Minato

穏やかじゃない
I'm surprised anybody dislikes this. Unless you like mindlessly mashing the X button to win fights.
Well, to be fair, my deck consisted of mashing (and timing) the triangle button because of sleights. Sonic Blade is just too good!

I'm not going to pick up Re:COM right away since I already have the Japanese copy. Maybe when it's cheaper I'll buy it.

The H Kid

Original
COM was an excellent game (way better then KH2) but i really don't see it as making a successful change to 3D....
Maybe its just me.

SkylerOcon

Tiny Dancer
It already has made the succesful change. It's been out in Japan for what, three years now? It came out as a bonus with KHFM+, though, so it may have been seen more as a bonus add-on instead of a regular game.

SkylerOcon

Tiny Dancer
Wasn't there awkwardness in the movement in the first one? 2-D sprites put in a 3-D setting can get a bit confusing at times.

And I couldn't answer the question. Minato probably could tell you because he has the Japanese copy.

Commander Pancakes

Smash Rookie
aw man if i had a ps2, i would so buy this. i use to have it on my GBA but one day i somehow lost it and havent found it since. i miss this game

Minato

穏やかじゃない
Top Bottom