• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social King K. Rool's Kremling Kutthroats: This...Is Our Finest Hour!

Dan

Smash Lord
Due to the trollish nature of the reveal, the first thing I'm doing is pitting a level 9 Ridley and K. Rool vs. level 1 Sakurai Mii Fighter.

The Sakurai tweet about his eyes being bloodshot for the Direct was a reference to K. Rool, no? And the Karate Joe reference in this trailer is real as ****.

GAINAX

Smash Journeyman
Am still in awe honestly. Guess this is what fan-service really is... He even listened to many of the moveset suggestions I see. Even if they seem somewhat obvious. In a way, his moveset is quite straight forward, and not too complex. I don't think K.Rool would be a character hard to master. And that's fine. Ironic how he and Ridley seem the most savage and beastly on the roster, and being the most popular suggestions. Sakurai clearly played with this, as their Final Smash attacks are quite damn similar. Love how they used the Rare version of DK Island as well.

But if I have to be honest. Just K.Rool alone won't cut it for me. I really want to see Dixie enter as a newcomer as well. And seeing how Chrom is a Roy Echo, but borrows Ike's Up B, there's hope for Dixie to be a "Echo" with unique properties as well. Things don't look too bad now. They could copy DK's Up B with more horizontal recovery distance, DK's Forward Throw mechanics, DK's Down B with a Hair Slam and the rest having Diddy's moveset, and there's a low budget Dixie that could work. Funky seems even like far less effort to Echo from DK. I say as a DKC loving community, we support these ideas as well.

We still haven't seen Diddy's alternate colours and there's still the fact hedoesn't use his tail anymore in his attack animations. I'm 100% sure Dixie will be an echo fighter now.

DJ3DS

Smash Lord
3DS FC
0602-6256-9118
I say as a DKC loving community, we support these ideas as well.
I agree with this. More DKC content is always something to hope for. This said...

But if I have to be honest. Just K.Rool alone won't cut it for me.
I can't get behind this. Sakurai just brought back this character from the dead, with the most beautifully faithful moveset, because we as fans hounded him to no end about it. With a wonderful new remix of gangplank galleon, no less!

If this is all the DKC in the game, all I can be is grateful.

D

Deleted member

Hello there.
I was nowhere near as active on the K. Rool threads, but I've always wanted him in Smash Bros.
I was pretty hyped and excited to see him finally in the game, especially after many years of neglect it seems like. The guy deserves it and his representation is so faithful to the games!
I can finally say that at least one of my most wanted newcomers got in Ultimate. :p

Moon Monkey

Smash Hero
NNID
Mr.MoonMonkey
Switch FC
SW-0550-3588-6412
I just digged back 20 something pages to see everyones thoughts and reactions the night before leading into the direct.

I gotta say i was entertained watching ya'll ponder his chances going in. and seeing your real time posts as the direct happened??

i felt like i was there with ya'll.

While Dixie would still be nice. i honestly don't care who they add in this game now they can add minecraft steve for all i care.

Banjo-Kazooie

Smash Ace
NNID
Burudiman
3DS FC
2492-5021-9705
First of all, special thanks to BKupa666 BKupa666 for being the main croc in this thread and leading us to this day that many of us only dreamed. And to all the kutthroats who have been here since early Smash 4 development cycle. I know it will be satisfying to beat up Bayonetta with K. Rool for some good ol' fashioned "Ballot vengeance".

As for K. Rool's design, I do love it. And thankfully it surpasses the ArtsyOmni version. The scales maybe look a bit too detailed for my tastes, but I can't hate that son of a croc (9/10).

And now, at least I know I can relax. I certainly wouldn't mind more characters from my list (Banjo-Kazooie, Shantae, Spring Man, Dillon, Dixie). But if K. Rool was the last announced character, I wouldn't mind either.

Needless to say, i gotta go watch that trailer again.

Oasis_S

Smash Legend
3DS FC
0087-2694-8630
Oohhh man. I'm so happy for you, BKupa.

I don't feel like I was much of a regular for the K. Rool support threads, even though I always showed support. And I really admired the way Bkupa ran the K. Rool threads whereas I kinda ****ed off lol. Though I gotta admit I've always been pretty pessimistic about K. Rool. As much as I like and wanted him, I would just always feel like he wouldn't happen. I'm so glad I was wrong though! I don't even know why this is my favorite part but I love seeing how he runs like a crocodile lol. He looks like a lot of fun to play as, especially since I love heavyweights.... Although I dunno if I can stop playing as Ridley...

Also I'm a ****ing scrub that never got to the end of any DKC game even though I've played them all, so it'll be good I get to ACTUALLY experience K. Rool for once in my life.

MERPIS

Smash Lord
NNID
Catboog
What the hell is up with that running animation.
That's the absolute last thing I'd expect from K Rool, running on all 4s like donkey and diddy kong do.
It's way too athletic for King K Rool of all characters, but that's exactly why I love it, you'd expect it from donk and diddy they're always on all limbs running, spider monkeys probably run like that in real life and donkey kong has been doing that since the original DKC, but K Rool has a different design, he's much more arm and much less leg than Dk or diddy are and you'd expect his run animation to be like bowsers, that running style, but no he goes into a full on sprint like its nobody's business.

Also his fair is my new favorite fair in the entirety of smash, the old one was wario's fair. It's basically bowser's bair but in a forward air, I just find it so satisfying and amazing seeing otherwise phat and thicc characters doing these amazing fast athletic things that no one would expect them to do, and look BA while doing it. You might expect this from zard DK and ganon but from Dedede bowser, and K rool, no they're way too thicc. His recovery also seemed really good , the distance it goes it really high up and it seems to be pretty fast too.

Also, realistic gator noises make him MUCH more threatening now than he was back in DKC, that lowkey frightened me when I heard it first hand, who would expect that noise from, THAT?

Last edited:

StormC

Smash Hero
I agree with this. More DKC content is always something to hope for. This said...

I can't get behind this. Sakurai just brought back this character from the dead, with the most beautifully faithful moveset, because we as fans hounded him to no end about it. With a wonderful new remix of gangplank galleon, no less!

If this is all the DKC in the game, all I can be is grateful.
Agreed. People will say things like "but Fire Emblem has 7 characters!" or whatever.

But there is NO PRECEDENT for a character like King K. Rool being added to Smash. A once-major cast member abandoned entirely. Not a retro.

K. Rool getting in is a bigger individual win for Donkey Kong than almost any other character could be for their own series.

We just got the royalty treatment, big time. Let's enjoy it.

Goodstyle_4

Smash Journeyman
Consider where K. Rool was this morning before the direct.

- Hasn't made a direct appearance in 10 years.
- Last game he was in was as a minor character in a Mario Sports spin off.
- Last DK game he was in was Barrel Blast.
- Completely and utterly ignored in the last 2 major DK releases.
- Barely acknowledged by Nintendo beyond a mere Mii costume.

Now? K. Rool is a freaking rock star. He came in and blew Simon Belmont, the fancy third party, away. He generated all this online buzz and all Nintendo had to do was use him. He was right there all along, ready for action, and they never saw it until we showed it to them. Way to go guys, you did it.

Last edited:

SmashKeks

Smash Ace
What a time to be alive.

Those renders are gooooooooooooood.

Nah he just swatted Dedede out of the way. He faced worse. Namely several Lovecraftian Eldritch Abominations.

Luigi on the other hand...

poor dude ****ing DIED. I mean sure after Simon killed Death, Luigi got to reclaim his body but still! And I can't even say the same for Mario who most likely got his head crushed and Megaman that was unmistakably impaled through the chest. These newcomers are savage! Was kinda glad K. Rool's trailer toned things down with some comedy.
I dunno, I was kind of hoping for a scene where K. Rool rips off Diddy's head, discards the spine, then uses the head as a bowl full of bananas as a living room centerpiece while we see a stuffed Donkey Kong in the background being used as a coat rack for K. Rool's Kaptain's coat.

cothero

Smash Lord
Guys, now i understand Sakurai. The Wii U and the previous consoles could never handle K. Rool's magnificence. Just look at his facial expressions and corporal animations, it's insane.

Last edited:

Dru2

Hail to the King
NNID
DruetheDruid
3DS FC
0189-9845-3398
I think he looks pretty much ****ing perfect, but the one thing I'm a little confused on is K. Rool's running animation. I mean, don't get me wrong it looks cool and crazy, but it's just so weird, is that inspired from any specific game? It doesn't look familiar and just seems weird for K. Rool to do when we've seen him charging standing upright before.

D

Deleted member

I think he looks pretty much ****ing perfect, but the one thing I'm a little confused on is K. Rool's running animation. I mean, don't get me wrong it looks cool and crazy, but it's just so weird, is that inspired from any specific game? It doesn't look familiar and just seems weird for K. Rool to do when we've seen him charging standing upright before.
My hypothesis? In an attempt to make the Donkey Kong characters more animal-like, K. Rool's run cycle is meant to represent a crocodilian running at a full gallop. Either that, or they thought a fat guy giggling around as he jogged looked unintimidating, lol.

Dru2

Hail to the King
NNID
DruetheDruid
3DS FC
0189-9845-3398
My hypothesis? In an attempt to make the Donkey Kong characters more animal-like, K. Rool's run cycle is meant to represent a crocodilian running at a full gallop. Either that, or they thought a fat guy giggling around as he jogged looked unintimidating, lol.
Yeah, that makes sense and was kinda my logic for it as well, I still just think it's a little weird considering he has a running charge move from DKC, but w/e, it's not a problem, very unique, and I'm just happy he's in.

Brother AJ

Smash Lord
NNID
Brother_AJ
OMG THIS IS THE BEST GAME EVER!!! THAT DIRECT BLEW MY FREAKING MIND!!! THEY JUST KEEP KNOCKING IT OUT OF THE PARK!!!

I'm totally going to toot my own horn here btw...

I honestly don’t think there’s too many characters left to reveal, so I feel they need to keep the hype going. I’m going to be bold and predict that we’ll either get K. Rool and/or Dixie or a third party rep. Just feels appropriate to me to reveal someone that’s a big deal. I honestly could be wrong, but I’m really happy there’s a direct coming at all either way. Let’s go! Are you people ready for this ****?!
Of course I didn't expect to have K. Rool AND a third party rep! My GOD!!! I actually recorded my reaction to this, and will be posting it shortly!

We did it my friends! Finally! K. Rool AND Ridley?! WTF KIND OF TIME ARE WE LIVING IN?!

Last edited:

SeasideKingDumb

Smash Apprentice
I saw someone post an intereseting theory about his running animation. It was like about how he was at wit's end and his empire fell around him, reflecting what happened to the character in real life (with his cape and armor having noticeable damage as proof of this). So now he's more vicious and crazier than ever, charging at his oponents with his animalistic instincts. I'm not sure if this is exactly why his running animation is like this, but I love the details on his design. His once prominent and kingly cape reduced to threads really shows that any formality he once had as leader of the Kremlings has reduced to being an unpredictable and crazy individual seeking revenge.

EnthusedPanda

Smash Journeyman
1533779048775.png

Was all I could think of when I saw him run.

Gildiss

Smash Cadet
3DS FC
0103-9270-5127
Congratulations, K. Rool is in smash. He is crazier than usual. It's so cool.

THE 6r

Smash Ace
NNID
6r$¢€£¥™©®
3DS FC
2981-7049-0538
Switch FC
SW-1195-6602-2525
AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH

One of my dream characters has finally come true. I haven't posted in this thread but I am so hype for the game now that I can play the King himself.

Questionmark222

Smash Journeyman
FIIIIIIIIINAAAAAAAAAAAAAALY!!!!!!!

Just watched the Smash direct... and I’ve got no words. K. Rool in Smash is a reality. I can die fulfilled now. Thank god I didn’t hear any spoilers... it was insane.

Untouch

Smash Master
I saw someone post an intereseting theory about his running animation. It was like about how he was at wit's end and his empire fell around him, reflecting what happened to the character in real life (with his cape and armor having noticeable damage as proof of this). So now he's more vicious and crazier than ever, charging at his oponents with his animalistic instincts. I'm not sure if this is exactly why his running animation is like this, but I love the details on his design. His once prominent and kingly cape reduced to threads really shows that any formality he once had as leader of the Kremlings has reduced to being an unpredictable and crazy individual seeking revenge.
I think that just reflects DK64.
He has a goal in the first 3 DKC games, in 64 he just wants to blow up DK island at all costs.

Mysteltainn

Smash Ace
I think it is meant to capture his more feral side as well, which Sakurai has brought out a few times in the trailer. The act of following through with his destruction of the DK Isles that was hinted in DK64, the throw that seemingly breaks the back of his enemy, the pure crocodile noises he makes similar to that of Donkey and Diddy Kong's realistic ape noises really set the stage for an actual fight between a gorilla and a crocodile. The running animation is almost like a challenge to Donkey Kong (as if to say that I'm bigger than you, and can run just as fast as you so watch out), particularly during the ending of the trailer, where they're seen rampaging toward one another.

This all of course ties into what S SeasideKingDumb was talking about as well I think where the animation could also be attempting to capture a forgotten and enraged villain, and overall, I think between his model and his voice and depiction, Sakurai did a very good job of finding that balance between K. Rool's clever, conniving yet slightly derpy and spontaneous behaviour (only King K. Rool would bust his gut through his plated belly to counter an enemy and have it make sense!) with a more jaded, scarred villain who has been forgotten for so long.

Needless to say, it will be interesting to hear what Sakurai himself really has to say about all of these characters during the inevitable interview that's sure to come soon.

itsaxelol

Smash Ace
His running was a sakurai original, and as hackattack said, meant to highlight his feral side. Just like he does with DK and Bowser.

I ****ing love it

mynameisBlade

Smash Lord
It's now been 5-6 hours since K.Rool's official reveal as a playable character in Smash Bros Ultimate.

Has it set in yet for you guys? lol
NO......no it hasn't... words can't explain how much it means to see him in Smash...]

Did Sakurai ever explain Ridley's move set besides at E3? I am really looking forward to him explaining K.Rool in the next video whenever that may be. I want to hear what he has to say regarding the King. Usually he gives us info about the character a bit after they've been revealed like with Inkling. *VERY ANXIOUS AND SUPER ECSTATIC*

Seeing him be a mix of the K. Rool we know and love and a more feral animal. I do hope he has his classic OW sound when he is KO'd or something.

Last edited:

Isaac: Venus Adept

Smash Lord
I updated my sig in anticipation for the Kremling King. Sakurai is such a genius, I never thought what a good idea a belly counter would be for K.Rool

D

Deleted member

Remember when people said K.Rool wasn't gonna be playable because of him not beign Relevant?

Well, i guess you could say the Irrelevance argument was........

Irrelevant.

Last edited by a moderator:
D

Deleted member

Checking in, still hyped beyond belief, everything today was amazing all of that direct.

So happy King K. Rool is in.

Now I take off for a while, see you again eventually krew. Still some news left.

Nimbostratus

Smash Journeyman
Well, I'm late to the party, and I don't have much constructive to say. All I'm feeling is hype that my most wanted newcomer is in and looks great as well as amusement that, after constantly speculating K. Rool's chances during different Directs, we finally get him the one day everyone seemed to agree that he probably wasn't going make his entrance.

I'm just one out of over 600 names on the old Smash 4 Support List (I'm not sure if another was ever made for Smash U), but it feels special to be a part of what already seems like a monument to everyone who pushed so hard for this character and saw it to fruition. Thank you to everyone else who played a role during this long journey.

Last edited:

Dan

Smash Lord
That Dedede troll was hard; like you could tell Sakurai didn't want to put him in here - he had to throw that jab. It ruined a lot of people's reactions.

Cap'n Jack

Smash Lord
Long live the king! Congratulations!

Next mission Kutthroats, get Banjo in Smash in honor of Rare and Nintendo’s years together in the late 90s

TCRhade

Smash Champion
NNID
TabuuForte
I hope us Kutthroats can still hang out here together now that our King has a secured place <3 It means so much!

Bestmand902

Smash Lord
So, since we saw Kaptain K Rool...
How much are you willing to bet we'll get a K Roolstein alt? Or maybe Krusha K Rool? Or hell, the Paon design would be an interesting alt.

Top Bottom