• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social King K. Rool's Kremling Kutthroats: This...Is Our Finest Hour!

Gameguy1996

Smash Apprentice
Congrats to all of the K. Rool fans for never giving up on the character. While I was never a big fan of the character I'm happy he's in for all of his fans and who knows maybe I will change my mind on the character once I try him out in game.

King*Krool

Smash Apprentice
Almost everyone on this page thought he would NEVER follow up Ridley with K. Rool in only a month (A bit more).

BUT, once again he surprises us with a mega reveal at the end. Done with an amazing and beautiful cinematic.

I'm really thinking Banjo Kazooie, Dixie Kong, and Geno are now on the list.

Everything is now up for grabs.

There is no more LOGIC.

Only HYPE.

Thank you Sakurai. I've been wanting him since Melee, and now we all can play as our favorite video game Villain.

The Animator

Smash Journeyman
Had a busy day today so I'm late to the party. I saw the part with Dark Samus and Chrom live while I was on break at work then watched the whole direct on my lunch. I felt like I was going to die when they started to talk about items and assist trophy's and the first thing they showed was Donkey Kong and Diddy, I thought they were about to show K. Rool as an assist. All the worrying is finally over. I've had a lot of bad news the past couple of years, some of the worst being very recent so this is a way bigger deal then it should be, I really needed something good to happen. Now I got my number 1 first party character! everything else is just extra after this.

S_B

Too Drunk to Smash
Switch FC
SW 5369-1969-6280
You and me both buddy.

It's such a surreal experience to know he's finally playable.
"Surreal" is the right word.

I've wanted him in the game since SSB4, as I still have fond memories of beating him in DKC waaay back when.

Also a huge heavyweight fan and we badly needed more.

CardStealer1

Smash Journeyman
NNID
CardStealer
3DS FC
2681-0263-6525
Didn’t have a chance to watch live and I haven’t been very active in this thread since the smash4 dlc days. But dang, we did it, he’s in. All those votes and pieces of propaganda paid off. I really feel like we had an impact and it feels incredible. I wanna thank everyone in the thread for this fun and wild ride and I look forward to seeing all of your future posts.

SuperiorYoshi87

Smash Lord
NNID
AVENGERxTHOR
Now that he's actually in speculation turns into analysis. I've been watching the trailer over to get an idea of his moveset

LunarDistortion

Lord of the Nigelchu's
NNID
Lunar_Distortion
3DS FC
4639-9294-0127
Switch FC
SW-4041-3028-0448
This newcomer board is really cozy, I feel like we could get used to this. :p

Dalek_Kolt

Smash Master
So that bit at the end where giant K Rool buries Donkey and Diddy reminded me of this pic I made a LONG time ago.

I kinda hope K. Rool and Ridley are roughly to scale to this.

Last edited:

NonSpecificGuy

The Extraordinary is in What We Do
Super Moderator
Premium
Writing Team
NNID
Goldeneye2674
3DS FC
0989-1770-6584
*ahem* Excuse me while I make an announcement. *ahem*

Ma boi! THAT ****IN MUSIC!

G-Guy

Smash Ace
NNID
G-Guy1990
Let‘s hope.we‘ll get even more awesome DKC remixes! That new Gangplank Galleon is lit!!

Kinda sad that Jungle Hijinx from Smash Wii isn‘t coming back, together with rumble falls. Maybe we‘ll get a new DK stage to compensate? Ah, one can hope...

PPNY

Smash Journeyman
Man I have been so busy today I have had no time to gush and scream about all this. Last night when the leaks of Simon getting in were basically confirmed, it hit me hard. I was really starting to doubt if K.Rool would get in at all. My friend even said maybe they would do a double reveal, one at the start and one at the end, but I just assumed that since Sakurai said there wouldnt be many characters in that it would be a pipe dream.

Things didnt get much better when I managed to peak a few views on /v/ during the direct. When Chrome was announced as another Echo fighter for Fire emblem, i just put my phone away and got back to work. Then my friend spammed me with texts and the biggest relief of my life rushed right over me.

I've literally spent the entire day just watching his trailer and reactions to it. I knew they would do some sort of Rare/Paon design, and I really couldnt be happier with it. Im actually really glad they were so subtle with his specials. The pirate hat with the blunderbluss and the helipack by itself really helped kept the focus on his most iconic look, while still referencing every main game he has basically been in.

Not to mention, I love the fact he runs on all fours during his run and his tattered cape. It really gives you this impression that he hasn't been around for awhile and has gone pretty wild. Yet they still kept that Saturday Morning Cartoon Villain Vibe to him which I always adored. I never knew how he would look in smash, but I couldn't be happier, I just wish I had been around to share the joy with you all.

THAT ALL BEING SAID. You guys notice how Chrome is an echo fighter of Roy, but has the Up B of Ike? Does that mean we could get Dixie Kong as an Echo of Diddy, but her Up B just becomes a variant of DK's? Despite the fact she didnt show up in this direct, I still have strong feelings she could still be one of the remaining echo's.

Also i love the fact that both Ridley and K.Rool's final smash essential involve blasting their enemies home/ship into oblivion with a giant laser. Really helps tie the two as "Never Ever" Brothers.

SenSx

Smash Apprentice
I would imagine the pirate outfit had to go when they decided to use the crown throw in the moveset. It would look kinda wonky throwing a pirate hat with the hitbox of a crown. K Rool putting on the hat when he uses his blunderbuss is probably a bit of compensation.
Does it really prevent them from giving him the pirate outfit still ?
He just has his hat magically appearing during his special with blunderbuss as King.
So when he would be wearing his Kaptain outfit, he could switch to the crown using the crown toss move, and then go back to the pirate hat, simple as that.

Retroend

Retro Gamer
NNID
Re7ron
3DS FC
3669-1436-3958
Switch FC
SW-5947-2141-6122
congrats to you guys. i was hoping for k rool to make it too. now all i need is isaac from golden sun and i'll have all my most wanted newcomers in smash.

Dustydog96

Smash Ace
So is K.Rool the new heaviest character in the game? Or does bowser still hold the title. Krool looked MASSIVE in the trailer

G-Guy

Smash Ace
NNID
G-Guy1990
So is K.Rool the new heaviest character in the game? Or does bowser still hold the title. Krool looked MASSIVE in the trailer
Yeah, makes me wonder if he gets something like tough guy or a Belly shield

Jimmy42893

Smash Cadet
NNID
Jimmy42893
Anyone know when we can expect to be able to select King K. Rool as our Smash Ultimate main on here? I want that sweet, sweet icon under my avatar as soon as possible.

I've literally spent the entire day just watching his trailer and reactions to it.

. . .

THAT ALL BEING SAID. You guys notice how Chrome is an echo fighter of Roy, but has the Up B of Ike? Does that mean we could get Dixie Kong as an Echo of Diddy, but her Up B just becomes a variant of DK's? Despite the fact she didnt show up in this direct, I still have strong feelings she could still be one of the remaining echo's.
I spent the entire day the exact same way. (Well, that and securing/reading/signing a lease for a new apartment for the next year. Far less important than King K. Rool. Obviously.) And yeah, after today I pretty much expect to see Dixie and Shadow as Echoes (Dixie for the reason you just stated, Shadow because he wasn't deconfirmed in the Assist Trophy segment.)

Giga Kaiju

Smash Lord
NNID
GigaKaiju
Switch FC
SW-8115-0761-4039
Passing by to say that finally our beloved Pirate leader has made it ino the madness. First Ridley and now K. Rool. This already makes this game better than the last ones by far and about damn time. Lots of love for our beloved reptilian leaders and commanders. Also love the trollish intro for the trailer and then the reveal. He looks so great and Sakurai seems like he noticed the ideas for K. Rool with the movesets and designs.

About damn time, pretty much. Now, all left to do would be to wait and then get the play to show who is the king. Along Ridley, obviously, hehe.

This is a nice time to be a Pirate of the Kremling Krew or of the Space Pirates. Or in my case, both.

Glad to be celebrating and for seeing people be ONE OF US~!

:bowser:.

DJDave189

Smash Journeyman
NNID
DJDave157
I still can't believe that King K. Rool is finally in Smash, as someone who loves the DKC games as well as K. Rool himself this makes me super happy. Whenever a new character is revealed I get a bit excited but I usually don't freak out, but that changed when K. Rool was revealed at the end of the direct.

My excitement just went through the roof when K. Rool was shown, his trailer was pure gold and is probably the one character trailer I've seen multiple times if not more. A new Donkey Kong rep, a new Villain, and a new Heavyweight, the King has finally arrived!

Last edited:

TheTreasonousSnowmad

Smash Journeyman
A plausible suggestion I read is alt costumes were ruled out because of difficulty animating them with the crawling animation.
The boxer and pharaoh outfits wouldn't have much problem with that and they both have crowns, so I'll hold out hope that we get at least one of those. Alts can be made when this game gets into the modding scene in any case though.

Now, I remember you saying you liked Jungle Climber, so I'll say now that I was thinking his running animation looking like mostly arm work was a reference to peg climbing. Upon closer examination, he does use his legs a bit, so that was a bit disappointing, but he does have the Jungle Climber laugh, so I'm satisfied with how thorough his representation is.

Red Dead Redeemed

Smash Journeyman
After watching the trailer a bunch times more, I think it's hilarious that after years of over-complicated schemes involving sending out his incompetent lackeys to get their butts kicked by the Kongs while he sits around waiting for them to get to the final level to face him, he finally says "Screw it, I'm just gonna walk up to DK's house myself so we can settle the score like men."

He's irrelevant
He's ugly and fat
No one remembers him
He's owned by Rare
No one got far enough in DKC to see him
Vocal minority, echo chamber
We don't need another Mario character

kek.jpg

It still hasn't sunk in yet, surreal that he's in.

Last edited:

DJ3DS

Smash Lord
3DS FC
0602-6256-9118
So what are we expecting of recolours? We have the following confirmed:

1) Rare (Green)
2) Krusha (Blue)
3) Rare Klump (Pink)

I'd like to see the following:
1) Rare (Green) [Confirmed]
2) Krusha (Blue) [Confirmed]
3) Kaboom (Red)
4) Tiki Tong (Yellow)
5) Rare Klump (Pink) [Confirmed]
6) Paon Klump (Brown)
7) Kudgel (Black)
8) Lord Fredrik (Light Grey)

That gives a wide spectrum of colours to use, and every one is a reference. I don't expect any costume changes with them worked into his moveset, and I'm personally OK with that.

Last edited:

Smady

Smash Master
Not sure anyone did this yet, here's what I can make out of his set we know of thus far

Neutral Special: Blunderbuss
Side Special: Crown Toss
Up Special: Heli Pack
Down Special: Fat Counter

Fsmash: Boxing Glove Punch
Usmash/dsmash: ???

Grab: Looks somewhat similar to Bowser
Uthrow: Spinebreaker
Fthrow/bthrow/dthrow: ???

Forward Aerial: Dropkick
Nair/Fair/Bair/Dair: ???

Dash Attack: Belly Flop
Dtilt: Bury Stomp
Jab/Ftilt/Utilt: ???

What's in question imo is if Blunderbuss or Crown Toss is neutral special, as both have some precedent. Crown Toss is a projectile he throws which is usually nspec, but Blunderbuss is flashier and is like Inhale which is another nspec so I went for that. The dair could be his M Bison cocky pose but it could also just be his entrance. The dsmash could be his down tilt but it seems too powerful for that if it pitfalls.

Last edited:

DJ3DS

Smash Lord
3DS FC
0602-6256-9118
Not sure anyone did this yet, here's what I can make out of his set we know of thus far

Neutral Special: Blunderbuss
Side Special: Crown Toss
Up Special: Heli Pack
Down Special: Fat Counter

Fsmash: Boxing Glove Punch
Dsmash: Bury Stomp
Usmash: ???

Grab: Looks somewhat similar to Bowser
Uthrow: Spinebreaker
Fthrow/bthrow/dthrow: ???

Forward Aerial: Dropkick
Nair/Fair/Bair/Dair: ???

Dash Attack: Belly Flop
Jab/Ftilt/Utilt/Dtilt: ???

What's in question imo is if Blunderbuss or Crown Toss is neutral special, as both have some precedent. Crown Toss is a projectile he throws which is usually nspec, but Blunderbuss is flashier and is like Inhale which is another nspec so I went for that. The dair could be his M Bison cocky pose but it could also just be his entrance. The dsmash could be his down tilt but it seems too powerful for that if it pitfalls.
The burying stomp doesn't appear to be his Down Smash, because you don't see the little star when he uses it. If you check the moveset thread you'll see what I mean as they have pictures there. Other than that change I agree with this 100%.

An interesting note is that King K Rool appears to jump whilst doing his spinebreaker up throw, which means it could potentially be used as a suicide up throw on stages with moving platforms or windboxes.

See 0:36 of this video for the sort of thing I am referring to:

UltimateWario

Smash Master
Not sure if it’s been said, but the pirate hat doesn’t appear to be a costume choice, but rather part of the blunderbuss. You can see him taking it off and replacing it with his crown during his #67 trailer.

I love the spin they put on the Gangplank Galleon theme, it suits the fast paced battles for Smash. but it also has a finale type feel different from other remixes. Has a triumphant sort of vibe with the trumpets/horns blaring with the signature part of the theme. Kind of reminds me of the Hoenn Elite Four Theme in the Pokemon Anime.

Can't wait to hear the whole thing, fingers crossed for an alt or two but that may be unlikely?

Dixie would just top it off.

Last edited:

smashingDoug

Smash Lord
Ha almost lost this thread, looked at the first five pages for newcomers Speculation page but nothing. Then I remember the King is back in a game playable also.

Only thing about the trailer what I would do differently is put K Rool in a costume one more troll

Last edited:

JaidynReiman

Smash Hero
NNID
JaidynReiman
Hey guys. I was trying to read up on all the reactions but it was just too much. I've been sticking with the Discord right now but I'm of course so happy that we pulled through this one. I was optimistic, but started to have doubts he'd get revealed this Direct after all the Simon leaks and everything. I was one of the few who felt like we'd get K. Rool ASAP, within the first couple batches of reveals, but I did get worried for a while.

I'm just so happy right now. I've already preordered the game, did that yesterday. I'll be checking out the new subforum as well. Well, this thread IS in the subforum now, but I haven't checked for other threads yet.

KingZing

Smash Journeyman
Not sure if it’s been said, but the pirate hat doesn’t appear to be a costume choice, but rather part of the blunderbuss. You can see him taking it off and replacing it with his crown during his #67 trailer.
Nice catch! It was certainly odd to see him with just the hat as an alternate costume. It's probably for the best to avoid complications when using the Krown and Blunderbuss if there were Baron, Kaptain or Boxer full alts. I'd gladly accept that compromise for consistency.

JaidynReiman

Smash Hero
NNID
JaidynReiman
There's still an (ever so slim) chance that we could get his Kaptain's Koat, without the hat. We've only seen two recolors for K. Rool so far. They could just maybe want to show them off later. Not likely, but possible I'd say. He wears the hat while using the blunderbuss, so wearing the koat with his krown I don't think is too far-fetched.

Jetsurge

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW-2536-8732-7990
Wow, still can't believe the King is in! DK 64 was one of the first games I played and I voted for K. Rool every day in the ballot. My description of how he would play in my ballot vote is very close to what we got ;)

I was so devastated when he wasn't in Smash 4 dlc, I ended up stopping playing Smash for a while. The wait since then has been long and hard but I glad it was all worth it in the end!

SeasideKingDumb

Smash Apprentice
I really love how every one of Rare's Donkey Kong games is represented in his moveset. From the helipack, to the crown toss, to him even WEARING THE PIRATE HAT when using his blunderbuss is amazing. It's like they read every single ballot thoroughly and saw what most people wanted in his moveset. Even his counter is really unique looking and fits the character. Everything about his inclusion feels honestly like a labor of love and Sakurai really is super aware of want the fans want. Even the reveal trailer was referencing how he was missing from games since 2008.

So I really REALLY hope this means that when we get another Donkey Kong game K. Rool is the antagonist, securing his place back into the series. Him being immortalized in Smash is huge and hopefully the start to his rightful return.

Jetsurge

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW-2536-8732-7990
I really love how every one of Rare's Donkey Kong games is represented in his moveset. From the helipack, to the crown toss, to him even WEARING THE PIRATE HAT when using his blunderbuss is amazing. It's like they read every single ballot thoroughly and saw what most people wanted in his moveset. Even his counter is really unique looking and fits the character. Everything about his inclusion feels honestly like a labor of love and Sakurai really is super aware of want the fans want. Even the reveal trailer was referencing how he was missing from games since 2008.

So I really REALLY hope this means that when we get another Donkey Kong game K. Rool is the antagonist, securing his place back into the series. Him being immortalized in Smash is huge and hopefully the start to his rightful return.
Thank me for his moveset being from every game. I suggested it to Sakurai in my Smash Ballot vote which I sent every day.

Hopefully this also means we'll get remixes of all his boss themes.

Last edited:

AncientTobacco

Smash Lord
There's still an (ever so slim) chance that we could get his Kaptain's Koat, without the hat. We've only seen two recolors for K. Rool so far. They could just maybe want to show them off later. Not likely, but possible I'd say. He wears the hat while using the blunderbuss, so wearing the koat with his krown I don't think is too far-fetched.
I don't really see how the crown throw would be an issue. Since he puts on the pirate hat when using the blunderbuss, they could just have the Kaptain alt put on the crown when doing the throw.

Top Bottom