• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social King K. Rool's Kremling Kutthroats: This...Is Our Finest Hour!

SuperiorYoshi87

Smash Lord
NNID
AVENGERxTHOR
I Tweeted Ubisoft asking if theres any shot K. Rool will show up in the DLC I doubt I'll get any reply, plus my Twitter is pretty new and pitiful in terms of followers or anything so I doubt they'll even see my Tweet... but didn't hurt to try. Besides keeps K. Rools name popping up with anything DK related. Perhaps anyone on here with a more respectable account could also shoot a Tweet out to them ha ha see if we get a reply or a hint

Jetsurge

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW-2536-8732-7990
Just realized the DLC for Mario+Rabbids Kingdom Battle has yet to release... it will be REALLY interesting to see if there's any Kremling or K. Rool references in it. You'd think a DK centric world and theme would instantly make them a top option to appear. Plus in the current day where they are one of the hot topics of the DK fanbase it seems criminal if they weren't represented. It's true the rabbids in the trailer were Tiki themed but we only saw 3 rabbids. I'd hope we see more, or even do one better and have K. Rool as a boss.
They looked like Tiki Rabbids in the trailer.

DarkFoxTeam

Smash Journeyman
Just realized the DLC for Mario+Rabbids Kingdom Battle has yet to release... it will be REALLY interesting to see if there's any Kremling or K. Rool references in it. You'd think a DK centric world and theme would instantly make them a top option to appear. Plus in the current day where they are one of the hot topics of the DK fanbase it seems criminal if they weren't represented. It's true the rabbids in the trailer were Tiki themed but we only saw 3 rabbids. I'd hope we see more, or even do one better and have K. Rool as a boss.
Part of me fears it'll just be references to Tiki's and Returns as a whole. I desperately want to be wrong though. I haven't bought the game yet, but If I see any signs of Kremlings or K. Rool (even with the Rabbids dressed as them) that'll make the game a top priority to get for me. That'd probably be the next game I'd get after Tropical Freeze.

In a way it's kinda sad how we've gone to the point where we're desperate that we'd even take a Rabbid dressing up as a Kremling as something. I'd take it, honestly. It'd be a step in the right direction. Even if it's a very, very small step.

Banjodorf

Dynamic Duo
NNID
bluefalcon27
3DS FC
2105-8715-5493
Everyone here ought to know me well enough to know I'd actually be pretty excited about Funky's inclusion because I'm actually a fairly big fan of the main monkey.

And honestly, DK got almost completely shafted in terms of content in Smash 4.

But to get Funky instead of K. Rool and Dixie, especially after the ballot, would be a big slap in the face. I'm not going to sit here and assume we know everything, that's already bitten us in the face once, but K. Rool getting that Mii costume and the ballot have to mean something for his chances in Smash Switch, and Funky being the only new DK rep would fly in the face of all of that.

G-Guy

Smash Ace
NNID
G-Guy1990
Just started to play DK64 again, after I finished the Country trilogy on SNES.

I gotta say, K.Rool‘s portraial in that game has to be my favorite overall.

Yeah, I love the Kaptain‘s design and boss fight, but 64 K Rool just oozes personality!

Anyone confused about his weird „TV“ contraption, too? I mean, how does it work?
I always imagined it‘s like a puppet play, where the Kritters dress up as the Kong’s to reenact the latest happenings

Wario Wario Wario

Smash Legend
at this point, there is literally not a single excuse to not have the dictator of DK island in Smash. anyone can come up with a K. Rool moveset within seconds, the Smash team should have no problem. here's one I came up with on the spot:

B: K. Rool shoots a cannonball out his blunderbuss, after flying for a second and a half, it grows spikes which makes it stronger and impossible to reflect
Up B: K. Rool gets out his jetpack from DKC3 and flies upwards. the propeller can hurt foes.
Side B: K. Rool throws his crown which comes back like a boomerang, the move does make K. Rool somewhat vulnerable and inable to move, but he gets super armour to compensate
Down B: K. Rool turns invisible. he can only use his neutral B while in this form, but it's weaker, and he's made lighter in this form, however he's also faster and can shoot multiple cannonballs at a time. he can still be spotted from effects and his cannonballs are fully visible

Last edited:

Kaptain K. Roolenstein

Smash Apprentice
Didn't Nintendo make a game last year about Donkey Kong's rival throwing his hat like a boomerang as a main method of attack while also taking up different personas and costumes, pirate and mad scientist outfits included. It's on the tip of my tongue. :troll:

RetroMetalSonic

Smash Journeyman
NNID
retrog97
I think the "Yeah! Thank you!" from DK64 would work better as his victory quote.

Also, if they do add that, Japan is gonna have a field day with that one. Over there a lot of fans like to joke that he's actually saying "Yeah! F- you!" instead of "Yeah! Thank you!". I can already see the reactions now lol.
Yeah, it does sound better as one of his victory lines... Eh, like I said, I didn't come up with any good/creative ideas for the King yet.

Well, on the bright side of things, trying to think of the possibilities is a good way to pass the time until we start getting some character reveals.

Pazzo.

「Livin' On A Prayer」
Finally finished this radical signature. Now everyone can see my support for the Kapitan.

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
Didn't Nintendo make a game last year about Donkey Kong's rival throwing his hat like a boomerang as a main method of attack while also taking up different personas and costumes, pirate and mad scientist outfits included. It's on the tip of my tongue. :troll:
In b4 Mario in all actuality = King K.Rool.

Pazzo.

「Livin' On A Prayer」
Imagine a world where every character is K. Rool.

We wouldn't be here today.

InASnowBoundLand

Smash Lord
Princess K. Rool has held Kalamity K. Rool in K. Rool's Keep for 100 years. Now, it's up to you, K. Rool, to retake control of the Divine Kremlings piloted by King K. Rool, King K. Rool, King K. Rool, and King K. Rool. King K. Rool, by the way, has a crush on King K. Rool. Isn't that cute?

BTW,

This has probably been talked about. But I think in the Inklings trailer, the figure next to DK's silhouette is Diddy. I think it's his hat. Right next to Diddy seems to be Peach. But that doesn't matter. The point is that I think it's diddy. If I'm right, that means the very first Smash bros trailer already showed all of the DK characters in Smash Bros. Could this be a hint that DK's roster has more to show in Smash Switch? Of course, it could mean nothing.

Last edited:

SuperiorYoshi87

Smash Lord
NNID
AVENGERxTHOR
Princess K. Rool has held Kalamity K. Rool in K. Rool's Keep for 100 years. Now, it's up to you, K. Rool, to retake control of the Divine Kremlings piloted by King K. Rool, King K. Rool, King K. Rool, and King K. Rool. King K. Rool, by the way, has a crush on King K. Rool. Isn't that cute?

BTW,

This has probably been talked about. But I think in the Inklings trailer, the figure next to DK's silhouette is Diddy. I think it's his hat. Right next to Diddy seems to be Peach. But that doesn't matter. The point is that I think it's diddy. If I'm right, that means the very first Smash bros trailer already showed all of the DK characters in Smash Bros. Could this be a hint that DK's roster has more to show in Smash Switch? Of course, it could mean nothing.

I agree I also think it's Diddy, he could be sitting on DKs shoulder, it would make sense anyway Pit's there clearly and Wario so there's Brawl Vets in there.. Diddy should be there too.

I don't think it's any indicator of any series getting new fighters but it certainly gives us a clue of the core fighters. Who knows how many (if any) cuts we will get so I feel like the silhouette's are a clue to the core of this game, maybe Sakurai is going into this with a clean slate in terms of newcomers. We could see more cuts than many people think

SmashKeks

Smash Ace
Did you just write a cheeky joke response, or a DeviantArt tier fanfiction?

Besides we all know King K. Rool X King K. Rool is a trash ship. King K. Rool clearly has better chemistry and overall romantic dynamic with King K. Rool, even though the game is probably going to force King K. Rool X King K. Rool to be canon.

Last edited:

SuperiorYoshi87

Smash Lord
NNID
AVENGERxTHOR
i think that's too pessimistic. the games always reveal the veterans little by little.
I guess... I don't think my view is all that pessimistic. Unless the game is going to be over 70 fighters I'm expecting cuts. It's either were getting decent amount of cut's or a very small amount of newcomers. If there's minimal cut's I can't see us getting more than 6 or 7 newcomers. Every Smash has cuts, plus Sakurai had commented before on "just adding more characters" this could be a game where we get reworked vets as a focus, cut the roster down and give us a decent amount of newcomers.

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774

BTW,

Yeah I agree it seems like Diddy sits on DK's shoulder. Quite an exciting thought that Diddy is revealed so early!

EdwardSponge

Smash Apprentice
On the topic of Mario = K Rool...
What if Little Mac has just been a robot controlled by K Rool this whole time like KAOS, and Mac's purpose is to fight his way to the top to reach DK at the end of Punch Out Wii.

He's been playable this whole time.

Mariomaniac45213

The Nintendo Villain main!
Switch FC
SW 5604 9250 9133

The Nintendo Power DK podcast is out and what a SHOCK! They don't mention K.Rool at all and Sam gives a slight nod to the Kremlings. The rest of it feels like Tropical Freee promotion which isn't shocking. The best thing IMO to come from this is that we know Retro Studios themselves are behind the Tropical Freeze switch port.

SuperiorYoshi87

Smash Lord
NNID
AVENGERxTHOR

The Nintendo Power DK podcast is out and what a SHOCK! They don't mention K.Rool at all and Sam gives a slight nod to the Kremlings. The rest of it feels like Tropical Freee promotion which isn't shocking. The best thing IMO to come from this is that we know Retro Studios themselves are behind the Tropical Freeze switch port.
Yup.... it just makes me laugh that they seem to try and dance around it hardcore.. they pick favorite bosses and they're picking nothing but TF, Returns, and freaking jungle beat bosses of all things..... with literally ONE mention of the Kremlings.. which was a lazy off comment "we have to give some love to the Kremlings" that's it... which is bull when you clearly see how many comments and questions are in regards to them... truly bothersome..... I mean when your talking about the history of the series yet sound like your trying to glaze over the main antagonists of the bulk of the games it's just annoying..... I mean I don't want to make it sound like some huge conspiracy here but it's so hard not too when it just seems like everything with Nintendo tries to go out of their way to not talk about K. Rool....

In other news I Tweeted Grant Kirkhope about a chance of seeing a K. Rool boss theme reprisal from DK64 in the new Mario+Rabbids DLC... he liked my Tweet so... hurray?

Troykv

Smash Master
Yup.... it just makes me laugh that they seem to try and dance around it hardcore.. they pick favorite bosses and they're picking nothing but TF, Returns, and freaking jungle beat bosses of all things..... with literally ONE mention of the Kremlings.. which was a lazy off comment "we have to give some love to the Kremlings" that's it... which is bull when you clearly see how many comments and questions are in regards to them... truly bothersome..... I mean when your talking about the history of the series yet sound like your trying to glaze over the main antagonists of the bulk of the games it's just annoying..... I mean I don't want to make it sound like some huge conspiracy here but it's so hard not too when it just seems like everything with Nintendo tries to go out of their way to not talk about K. Rool....

In other news I Tweeted Grant Kirkhope about a chance of seeing a K. Rool boss theme reprisal from DK64 in the new Mario+Rabbids DLC... he liked my Tweet so... hurray?
That their favorites bosses are the non-Rare ones makes sense... the non K-Rool boss battles are usually... basic (remember DKC1 and their armies of generic mook with Banana Gigantism?).

And it makes sense they want to focus in the newer games, because it's free hype for the re-release tomorrow... but...

In the other hand... How old is this people actually? K. Rool battles are from 1996 to 1999 Games.

Last edited:

Llort A. Ton

Smash Lord
NNID
GamerGuy758
3DS FC
0731-5017-6481
Switch FC
SW 1185 9411 4529
That is actually kind of odd. I know that the point of the podcast is to advertise the most recent game (TF was mentioned everywhere as it should be), but cmon. Even during the BOSS section, they didn't mention any classic era bosses. A throw away line like "Hey, who could forget the tough as nails King K Rool fights?" would've sufficed, but they stretched to mention the octopus, who isn't even a boss lol. Call me k. razy, but I think complete radio silence about king k rool despite the avalanche of questions signifies that they're up to something. I think one of 3 situations is happening right now-

A. K. Rool is making a comeback, and Nintendo told them not to mention anything Kremling related as to not create hype/suspicion. Social media would be focusing more on a K Rool namedrop than the fact that their game comes out tomorrow. Also, wouldn't it be suspicious if all of a sudden K Rool goes from not being mentioned anywhere to being praised by NoA staff?

B. The staff would've talked about K Rool, but they werent given enough time in their podcast schedule to talk about a non advertising topic (questions about favorite bosses, favorite kongs and Funky Kong can all be easily tied into the game they're advertising).

C. The staff at NoA and Nintendo in general still maintain the mindset that the characters from the classic era aren't "fresh enough". Remember, we still only have 7 characters from the classic era; DK, Diddy, Cranky, Dixie, Funky, Rambi, Squaks. If its taken this long for only a little bit of characters, unfortunately this option is still a possibility until PR talks to the guys in charge.

On a positive note- Tropical Freeze drops tomorrow! Anyone planning on getting it? I recently sold my Wii U copy since... well, I don't ever play the Wii U anymore. I think I may actually play as Funky first since he looks like he'd be very fun to do a speed run with.

InASnowBoundLand

Smash Lord
So they tiptoed around the Rare era huh? Let's just remember these guys are just podcasters, they aren't anybody that are deciding things related to the games. They are entitled to their opinion. Although the way they behaved reminds me of some of the bull crap we have seen from nintendo in the past on Rare's DK creations, I think things are actually positive on that front. That is, when it comes to how Nintendo in Japan view the DK characters made by Rare.

After all, remember guys, the freaking Mario team gave a shoutout to K. Rool in a freaking mario mainline game. You could say, well, that's just a street sign. And it is just a street sign. But that acknowledgment of K. Rool as being part of DK's past is still a pretty big deal because it has sometimes looked like Nintendo has wanted to wipe him away from DK's history period. And funnily enough, not a single thing from the new DKCR games or even DK JB showed up in New Donk City.

Not to mention the fact that Dixie Kong returned in Tropical Freeze. I remember some of the same type of fans like these podcasters calling for her to be removed, cheering that she was gone in DKCR because Diddy now had jetpacks and she wasn't "needed". Maybe these podcasters may not like the Rare DK stuff like most fans do, but at least Nintendo's Japan devs seem to be changing their perception. That's good. And of course, the K. Rool mii costume!!!!

These type of anti-Rare DK people are losing. Those of us who love the Rare DK stuff, and want to see it back, are slowly winning. Yay.

And given the way they acted in the podcast, imagine their faces for most of them when they saw all the LOVE for the Rare DK games, including K. Rool. As the kids say, they must have been SHOOK.

They had to look super hard to avoid K. Rool. Lol! Sorry, we aint' leaving. We're here to stay . We love the RARE DKC games and the Retro games too! And our love for the Retro games won't make us forget about the original trilogy and the beautifully designed googly eyed characters from it.

Last edited by a moderator:

BKupa666

Barnacled Boss
The elephant in the room regarding the podcast is that OF COURSE "it doesn't matter" as people have said here and there. Flooding the Nintendo tweets with K. Rool questions was mainly a fun distraction in the lead-up to E3, and one for which Nintendo came close to delivering a flawless non-answer.

They didn't, though, so there are kernels to dissect in my humble opinion.

They really shouldn't have chosen a "who's your favorite boss" question, or at least should have had answers prepared so they didn't have to pause for an awkward 10 seconds to search for an answer not named K. Rool. Granted, K. Rool legitimately might not have been any of their favorites, and they might not be nerds like us to the point of being able to recite the fine details of his classic fights. But that would've been THE point in the episode to make mention of K. Rool, given the large number of popular twitter responses inquiring about him (the one other question that got comparable prominence was "WHY DO WE HAVE TO PAY MORE FOR THE PORT?!?"). They made a conscious choice not to do so, in a way that wouldn't have necessarily been the case if it were just a few isolated, un-liked responses.

Which leads to my other point, Sam's throwaway line to the tune of "We have to show some love for the Kremlings, because they..." after which Todd interrupts, generically says "Yeah, they're great too," and they pretty quickly move on. Beyond the weirdness of her bringing up K. Rool's enemy race in a question about BOSSES, it's unusual that they didn't care to elaborate further. One could say they wanted to keep their focus on TF, or didn't know the character, but these were fans of Rare's games. The one who playtested DKC3 even spoke at length about how Kiddy Kong is his favorite.

Maybe it's conspiratorial to think a Kong who's almost certainly never coming back is kosher for discussion while a heavily-desired villain who realistically could return in a number of upcoming games isn't so much as namedropped. But maybe not. It certainly wouldn't take more than the Treehouse higher-ups giving them a quick heads-up to avoid mentioning K. Rool by name, with no further elaboration, if they thought that would give away an E3 surprise.

No real way to neatly tie that speculatory rambling with a bow. It was a fun mini-ride with this podcast, even if it yielded next to no information other than the TF port's "level skip" option.

Last edited:

Banjodorf

Dynamic Duo
NNID
bluefalcon27
3DS FC
2105-8715-5493
Yeah, I have a hard time looking at this like it means anything. They were probably mostly there to support Tropical Freeze, or it just might not've crossed their minds. They did *mention* the Kremlings, so that's something. Of course, they could've just been the people who actually didn't care about them. Wouldn't be the first time.

I'm reminded of back when we all got super conspiratorial about the DKC trilogy getting taken off the Wii e-shop, assuming it was Rare's fault or that Nintendo was trying to erase the Kremlings.

And then a couple years later, we get not only the DKC trilogy back as kind of a big deal on the Wii U e-shop, but also the Donkey Kong Land trilogy for the first time in decades on the 3DS.

-VictoriaJustice-

Smash Ace
NNID
Victor1aJust1ce
3DS FC
4768-7937-5552
Almost there! He's down by 8! He needs the votes! Vote for the King here! https://gamefaqs.gamespot.com/boards/234547-super-smash-bros-for-nintendo-switch/76573457

Back on topic:

I'm remaining a bit optimistic that the fact namedropped the Kremlings but was quickly brushed aside was a clue for her to be quiet and not arouse any suspicions because at E3 we're getting a new DKC game which stars the Kremlings and therefore, King K. Rool. Failure to mention the series' villain icon during a section about favorite bosses was a little odd. Granted, they might not have favored his boss fights but a little nod would've been nice. The fact that he wasn't even mentioned once was a bit alarming. 90% of the comments on Twitter were about the Kremlings/K. Rool and they chose a question like "Why is Funky so radical?"

That's a bit stupid but like I said, I'm remaining hopeful that we'll see the King return to either a new DKC game or maybe even Smash Bros. within 40 days or so. E3 draws near...

DJ3DS

Smash Lord
3DS FC
0602-6256-9118
So, getting past all the podcast conspiracy theories...

I got Tropical Freeze today. Only 4 levels in (I'm trying to get gold medals in the time trials as well as all pieces and KONG letters) and this is incredible fun, especially Cranky.

SuperiorYoshi87

Smash Lord
NNID
AVENGERxTHOR
yea... we could end up seeing a K. Rool surprise or two at E3... I haven't lost hope about that. Plus the aversion to mentioning the Kremling's in that podcast and the quick cut off when they were being mentioned seems odd...

One thing to note. The DLC for Mario+Rabbids has yet to have a release date, simply being listed as "spring". Could totally see it getting a trailer at E3 and a reveal of K. Rool as the main villain. We might get a few K. Rool appearances at E3 this year.

Last edited:

Llort A. Ton

Smash Lord
NNID
GamerGuy758
3DS FC
0731-5017-6481
Switch FC
SW 1185 9411 4529
Got Funky Freeze today, and I noticed a few things...
1. The game still rocks
2. David Wise still rocks
3. Kirby Star Allies being extremely easy lead to me letting my platformer skills rust up and it's totally not my fault at all when I die

D

Deleted member

I'm debating on whether or not I should get the Switch version or not when I get my Switch.
You see, on the one hand I already own the original version so I can play it on the Wii U.
On the other hand, DK on the go sounds like a pretty sweet deal and Funky Kong boosts the game's quality by a large margin.
So yeah, I'm not sold yet, but I'm leaning towards getting it.
3. Kirby Star Allies being extremely easy lead to me letting my platformer skills rust up and it's totally not my fault at all when I die
...I'm gonna ****ing suck at this game lmao

Llort A. Ton

Smash Lord
NNID
GamerGuy758
3DS FC
0731-5017-6481
Switch FC
SW 1185 9411 4529
Here's a neat, well put together DK video I came across. Just a timelline, but its something to look at until E3. Of course the King is there in his glory for a great chunk of the video.

SEGAGameBoy

Smash Journeyman
Hell yeah! Definitely add me to the spporters! Also, I've only played Donkey Kong Country Returns. But, I've seen people do movesets for him. So, I'll do what I can!

Side Smash - Similar to Wario's

Side Tilt - Crown Throw (Honestly, to me, it feels weird that people want this to be his Side Special to be Crown Throw. It just feels bland, as if you ran out of ideas. Which, I don't understand, because King K. Rool has so much moveset potential.)

A-A-A - Punches with the Boxing Gloves
Up Tilt - He swings a baseball bat over his head

Side Air - Similar to Mario's Side Air
Back Air - Similar to Bowser's Down Air

Neutral Special - Cannon Blast - Similar to Bowser Jr.'s but slower

Down Special - Ground Pound - Similar to Bowser's Down Special, but he doesn't go up as high

I'm so sorry! This was all I could think of!

Last edited:

DarkFoxTeam

Smash Journeyman

Me after watching the DK postcast

Top Bottom