• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Kentucky Smash Championship!!!! Parallel Worlds... - December 14th, 2013 - Louisville, Ky

Mister Eric

Twitch.tv/MisterbeepEric Twitter: @MisterbeepEric
NNID
MisterEric
3DS FC
1075-1236-8207
I graduate this day. No can do. That knocks me and Phael out. Maybe Greenup? Sowwies</3

Amida64

Smash Journeyman
Yeah, you are never going to be able to get everyone at one tourney. Something will come up for someone most of the time. With that said, you actually have a good amount of people coming, the RSVP'd "yes"(s) are actually quite a bit, considering many people who plan on going do not bother with RSVP. I am really impressed by you guys coming together and wanting to make something for the WHOLE KY community, and I will try to confirm my spot as soon as I can. Also, I really need to play more melee friendlies this time around.

EDIT: On the RSVP issue, (or whatever you want to call it) one example as to why that is a decent amount already, is because say, one person from Richmond confirms attendance, that automatically confirms 5. This goes for pretty much any area besides Georgetown. (Because I am a lone community, lol.)

kodeyluigi

Smash Apprentice
Yeah, you are never going to be able to get everyone at one tourney. Something will come up for someone most of the time. With that said, you actually have a good amount of people coming, the RSVP'd "yes"(s) are actually quite a bit, considering many people who plan on going do not bother with RSVP. I am really impressed by you guys coming together and wanting to make something for the WHOLE KY community, and I will try to confirm my spot as soon as I can. Also, I really need to play more melee friendlies this time around.

EDIT: On the RSVP issue, (or whatever you want to call it) one example as to why that is a decent amount already, is because say, one person from Richmond confirms attendance, that automatically confirms 5. This goes for pretty much any area besides Georgetown. (Because I am a lone community, lol.)
good point... Also, thanks for noticing what we have done to revive this community. Kentucky melee was dead summer of 2012 when we picked this game back up. We are building a great base for smash 4 when it comes out. I'm excited! Edit: I will DM you a few days in advance when we have another smashfest at parallel

Shonic

Smash Journeyman
Really? Cool, I really look forward to playing you. MM? I do not know if I told you this, but Marth is my best MU by experience, so I want a rematch, lol. (That is, if you make it.)
Is this for melee or brawl? I'd gladly MM in melee

Shonic

Smash Journeyman
Also the smashfest in Eville is going really well. We got 8 people this, so we are growing. If anyone wants to come, please feel free.

kellyk1035

Smash Journeyman
Bring everyone from eville up in dec or down I should say and yea amida thats why I cant change anything I would if it was going to make a diff but if I did someone else would not be able to no offense to anyone

Shonic

Smash Journeyman
Some of my crew is johning with "finals". I'll try and bring at least 5 for crews though(So far 4 including myself saying they want to come)

Amida64

Smash Journeyman
good point... Also, thanks for noticing what we have done to revive this community. Kentucky melee was dead summer of 2012 when we picked this game back up. We are building a great base for smash 4 when it comes out. I'm excited! Edit: I will DM you a few days in advance when we have another smashfest at parallel
I would actually need to know like 3-5 weeks in advance, I know it sounds stupid, but that's how it is. I can make it if you tell me 3 days in advance, and I will try my hardest to come, but I have a lot of busy weekends this year, so do not expect me to be able to make it. So just keep telling me a few days in advance before each one and I should be able to go to some.

clowsui

Smash Legend
only smashers would ask someone whose son would be 2 months old at that point to come to a tournament

l
o
l

but yes mango is in ohio now

amida i'm down to do an MM vs your snake. marth is your most practiced matchup but it won't make a difference ;D i'll go between 5 and 20.

Wiisnake

Smash Journeyman
Mango is from california last I checked. Could have changed in the past year or so.
No, he moved to Ohio as I recall, if any ohio smashers come I'll ask them to contact him and try to keep him in shape.

clowsui

Smash Legend
You have GOT to be kidding me

1) Ohio sucks at melee
2) if mango really wanted to practice he could easily bus to NY
3) he has a young child. The last thing he should focus on is keeping in shape in melee

You can be a fan. But don't be a nut.

Amida64

Smash Journeyman
only smashers would ask someone whose son would be 2 months old at that point to come to a tournament

l
o
l

but yes mango is in ohio now

amida i'm down to do an MM vs your snake. marth is your most practiced matchup but it won't make a difference ;D i'll go between 5 and 20.
I was completely caught off guard by your unique Marth style, once/if I adapt, I can then use my MU experience to my advantage. I will do a $15 mm....

clowsui

Smash Legend
I'll accept.

Columbus has Hanky, Abu and Fizzle. Hanky and Abu are acceptably decent but aren't polished enough to keep Mango at the top level. Fizzle is OK. Drephen might be the only one who can really help Mango but his old washed up ass hasn't shown up anywhere recently so...

Wiisnake

Smash Journeyman
You have GOT to be kidding me

1) Ohio sucks at melee
2) if mango really wanted to practice he could easily bus to NY
3) he has a young child. The last thing he should focus on is keeping in shape in melee

You can be a fan. But don't be a nut.
I don't consider anyone free, I main Ness remember, if anything I'm free!

DtJ Hilt

Little Lizard
/Raises hand
YESSSSSS

I will...probably be here. Not sure.
Wait, really?!

I'll be here. I'll see what interest I can gather. I'm sure I can get calic and some other old school players to show up.

I know I'm late to the topic and I might be bringing up an old debate, but I like the increase in payment. I think that the bulk, if not all, of the players that are newly coming in that would be attracted by the low price, have already decided whether or not they want to stick around for the long haul. Notice there have been a lot of newer players that have stopped by for their first tournament lately. Sure, the event might have been more appealing because of the cheap price, but they almost never stick around. The players I see entering that are relatively newer to me are the same players I saw when the S2D tournaments first started picking up again. The growing Louisville Melee Community, the Richmond Players, Sam, these some of the people that have filled the holes, that have shown that they're up for traveling to Lexington, or Cincinnati, or paying a little more towards the standard for entering a tournament.

We've kept the entry fee lower than the standard during the S2D tournaments in an attempt bring in casuals. And who knows whether that's what did it or not. Maybe it was. But it's not serving its purpose anymore. It's better to start focusing on building up what we now have, instead of spreading ourselves too thin. These tournaments are hardly monthlies. If anything, we have one every six to eight weeks. Not to mention it'll condition these players, whether they're two months in or two years in, to be more willing to go to out of state tournaments, where the price is at the standard. Or even just to out of city tournaments.

The only thing I can say is hurt by the increase in entry fee anymore is that that less Brawl players are going to enter Melee, and vice versa.

But yeah increments of five should be what happens at the next tournament. $6/$4 was okay because everyone who didn't bring a setup (most people at S2D) could just pay $10. Unless they entered multiple events, which we didn't focus much on at the time. That was something that was really only meant to stay a S2D thing. Keeping the venue $4 doesn't really make sense anymore. Individual smashers aren't going to mind going to $15 instead of $14, but the venue owner is going to like that extra 25%.

kellyk1035

Smash Journeyman
Agreed hilt im trully expecting 30+ for melee and 20+ for brawl and he says one day at a time but jiano will be here thats hype enough for any ky tourney the return of jiano lol

Top Bottom