• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Keeping mains between games....

DarkStar64

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Keystoner_33
3DS FC
4914-3939-6213
I'm curious to see how many people have stuck with the same character over each Smash iteration or if you find it too difficult to stick with the same character because of different mechanics and how they are played in another game for example Melee Marth compared to Brawl/PM/SSB4 Marth, I know M2K doesn't play SSB4 Sheik because he doesn't want it to mess up his Melee Sheik. Another example is my main Ike, I originally started with PM Ike (never played much Brawl) but after playing SSB4 I've had to change how I play him due to him being very different because of the difference in PM mechanics compared to SSB4. Share your thoughts!

Last edited:

Kurri ★

#PlayUNIST
Switch FC
7334-0298-1902
I've played ZSS in Brawl, PM, and now Smash 4. There's differences between iterations but not enough for me to drop the character.

kinbobbobkin

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Remybunny14
3DS FC
1822-1654-6056
I mean, that's fair on what's he doing.

I kept Pikachu as my main since Smash 64, Kirby from Melee and Toon Link and ROB since Brawl as my secondaries. Although I constantly keep making mistakes because I try doing strategy from the previous games.

Kurri ★

#PlayUNIST
Switch FC
7334-0298-1902
I mean, that's fair on what's he doing.

I kept Pikachu as my main since Smash 64, Kirby from Melee and Toon Link and ROB since Brawl as my secondaries. Although I constantly keep making mistakes because I try doing strategy from the previous games.
This. The amount of times I try to up-b to tether the ledge in Smash 4 or down throw u-air in PM is astounding.

Zerp

Formerly "ZeroSoul"
Administrator
Writing Team
I find it pretty easy to keep my mains from game to game, you just have to "break them in" every time you start a different game, and get rehabilitated to the differences again. Sure, it messes with you for a bit, but you just have to focus for a wee bit, and presto! Your done. Or at least that's how it works for me. Besides, a lot of us main a character just because we like them as a character, so a little mechanical change isn't going to change who we main.

Last edited:

DarkStar64

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Keystoner_33
3DS FC
4914-3939-6213
I know personally I found it difficult to switch from PM Ike where Quick Draw is godlike and leads into many other options for him to SSB4 Ike where Quick Draw is easily punished and can pretty much only be used as a recovery tool and to tech chase in certain situations.

I find it pretty easy to keep my mains from game to game, you just have to "break them in" every time you start a different game, and get rehabilitated to the differences again. Sure, it messes with you for a bit, but you just have to focus for a wee bit, and presto! Your done. Or at least that's how it works for me. Besides, a lot of us main a character just because we like them as a character, so a little mechanical change isn't going to change who we main.
I like who I main as well but sometimes characters are vastly different from game to game such as the examples I mentioned before and sometimes other characters just feel better in another game. My secondary is Ness because I like him but also because he is really good in SSB4 as where in Melee he is garbage.

Last edited by a moderator:

Ze Diglett

Smash Champion
Writing Team
NNID
ZeDiglett
I, personally, have never been much of a subscriber to character loyalty (other than:4mewtwo:, of course), mostly because I didn't have much of a main in Brawl and:4mewtwo:wasn't in Brawl. Though :4rob:and:4mewtwo:will probably carry over into Smash 5, assuming they make it in.

Last edited:

Sean²

Smash Capitalist
Switch FC
SW-7479-8539-5283
Thought I'd stick with Jigglypuff forever and ever but after Melee, she's just too slow. The change in game mechanics makes it hard for me to play her.

I'd probably have stuck with my Brawl characters but they were all REMOVED FROM THE GAME :mad::mad::mad:

Wolf for DLC!

Wintropy

Peace and love and all that jazzmatazz~! <3
NNID
Winterwhite
3DS FC
1461-6253-6301
As a rule of thumb, I change my main every game to keep things fresh and exciting; that and every game introduces new characters that I just happen to prefer over the older ones.

I can't see myself changing from Pit / Palutena, though. They're pretty much the Smash characters I've always wanted.

MarioFireRed

Smash Journeyman
NNID
MarioFireRed
3DS FC
5026-4457-8398
I'd say I was fortunate enough to keep playing a character who's incredibly easy to understand in every Smash game (:4mario:).

Although now that I main Shulk, Mario still happens to be one of my higher played secondaries.

HeavyMetalSonic

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Bloodriot779
I didn't really have a proper main in The first two games... But if I had to choose it'd be :link64: for 64, and I'd probably say :falconmelee: for Melee, maybe :4marth:too.

:falcon:got trashed in Brawl, and with :sonic: and :snake:, I didn't really pick him up in Brawl. I also picked up a fair few characters in Brawl, like :falco:, :lucario:, :4pikachu:, :4mario:and :link2:, I dropped :marth:too.

:4sonic:Got buffed a fair bit in 4, and he is my go to characte that I feel most comfortable with.
:snake: Got removed so... -Cries-
:4falco:I... I can't use him in 4. He's just... I can't. Sorry Falco.
:4lucario:He feels different... I can use him, but not like I could in Brawl.
:4pikachu:Is brilliant in Brawl and 4, I love switching to the little rat every now and then, he's like a bridge between :4sonic: and :4link: for me.
:4mario:I liked using him in Brawl as he is an overall solid character... Who got even better and I'd consider my main pocket character in 4.
:4link:Is quite obviously better, the best he's been in the series. I quite often switch to him if I need someone with projectiles.
:4falcon:Has punched his way back into my pocket character list. I just need to practice a bit more with him.
:4marth:/:4lucina: I've started to use a little bit again too, I considered them being pocket characters at one point.

Personally, I'd say it's a mixed bag for me. :4sonic: has stuck and only gotten better, so I'd say I stuck with my main as despite growing up with Smash since 64, Brawl is where I first started being competitive. Some dropped off and came back, some just slid off the face of the earth.

DarkStar64

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Keystoner_33
3DS FC
4914-3939-6213
I didn't really have a proper main in The first two games... But if I had to choose it'd be :link64: for 64, and I'd probably say :falconmelee: for Melee, maybe :4marth:too.

:falcon:got trashed in Brawl, and with :sonic: and :snake:, I didn't really pick him up in Brawl. I also picked up a fair few characters in Brawl, like :falco:, :lucario:, :4pikachu:, :4mario:and :link2:, I dropped :marth:too.

:4sonic:Got buffed a fair bit in 4, and he is my go to characte that I feel most comfortable with.
:snake: Got removed so... -Cries-
:4falco:I... I can't use him in 4. He's just... I can't. Sorry Falco.
:4lucario:He feels different... I can use him, but not like I could in Brawl.
:4pikachu:Is brilliant in Brawl and 4, I love switching to the little rat every now and then, he's like a bridge between :4sonic: and :4link: for me.
:4mario:I liked using him in Brawl as he is an overall solid character... Who got even better and I'd consider my main pocket character in 4.
:4link:Is quite obviously better, the best he's been in the series. I quite often switch to him if I need someone with projectiles.
:4falcon:Has punched his way back into my pocket character list. I just need to practice a bit more with him.
:4marth:/:4lucina: I've started to use a little bit again too, I considered them being pocket characters at one point.

Personally, I'd say it's a mixed bag for me. :4sonic: has stuck and only gotten better, so I'd say I stuck with my main as despite growing up with Smash since 64, Brawl is where I first started being competitive. Some dropped off and came back, some just slid off the face of the earth.
I actually like Falco quite a bit in 4 even though I know it's by far his worst appearance yet.

AvengerV

Smash Apprentice
NNID
AvengerV
I like to use characters with fun and fast combos like Fox and PM 3.02 Meta Knight.

Last edited:

FP-Takyon

Smash Apprentice
Warning Received
used to play marth, samus, and ganon in melee...only one I still play with is ganon. marth and samus feel too weird. every time I play them my melee instincts kick in and it throws me off

Oh yeah I still play falcon from melee...had to drop him in brawl though, he was awful

Last edited by a moderator:

kantoskies

Smash Journeyman
NNID
kanto-skies
I didn't start maining Peach until the very end of Brawl's life (like, a few months before Smash 3DS came out) so I got quickly adjusted to her Smash 4 playstyle. She felt a lot slower/weaker in Brawl and going back to Melee is weird because her parasol in that game is just so much worse than Smash 4

Corsola

Smash Rookie
I have a really short attention span. I mained Kirby in every game until SSB4 (I played Jiggly a bit more in melee though). I barely use him now and I'm better at WFT and Palutena since I never tried to get good in the other games.

LunarWingCloud

Smash Lord
NNID
LunarWingStorm
3DS FC
2449-4791-3879
Oh yeah I still play falcon from melee...had to drop him in brawl though, he was awful
Thanks for your continued presence on the boards, but for the future use the post edit function rather than making double posting. :)

Yoshi-hara

The Good Dinosaur
NNID
jpkurihara
3DS FC
4227-1292-9283
I main Yoshi in all games (By that I mean every game where he is playable, not only in the SSB series) because my love of the character always outweights how he plays. I simply learn how to play with him.

Last edited:

Weedy Spyze

Smash Apprentice
Well I play my favorite characters regardless of how "good" they are overall. But I have to say no to the question because my mains keep getting dropped whenever the next game comes out lol (Roy in Melee, Lucas/Ice Climbers in Brawl). I don't really have a main in Sm4sh yet, but Shulk and Bowser Jr. (specifically Lemmy) are the characters I've played the most of thus far.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

I'm the type to keep mains between games because I have a bit of character loyalty. I play whoever I like despite them being good or not. I'd feel bad dropping a character too.

Space Stranger

space cowboy
NNID
ThePowerBlaster
3DS FC
1160-9748-6431
I only mained :4luigi: and :4falcon: consistently throughout the games.

I picked up :4wario: in Brawl in PM because he's my second favorite Mario character.

Khao

Smash Lord
I went through like three different mains through 64 as a kid until I finally settled on Link. I really liked Link, and when Melee came out, I barely ever played as anyone else. Roy was one of the only other characters I actually bothered to use consistently because I always liked Marth/Roy's moveset, and obviously Roy was better because he had fire and a 1-hit KO move. Also Young Link, since he was like Link which instantly made him worth to play.

Brawl? I really, really tried to main Link, but he just felt bad. Character bias died. I retreated to Lucas, who I loved as soon as I tried him out in the SSE.

Then I unlocked Toon Link, yay, new main. Bias is back. Kept using Lucas as a secondary, though. Roy was no longer in, but I didn't care enough to have Marth on my secondaries, though I still chose him frequently when I wanted to change things up for the sake of fun.

So yah, up until that point, I played mostly Link and The Other Link.

In Smash 4 I decided to start from scratch. I played everyone equally the first few days, like, made a conscious effort to have an equal number of matches with every character. And when I had at least three games with each one, I started scratching off characters from an imaginary list and went for a "fourth round" only with characters I wanted to play again. On the sixth round, my imaginary list had been reduced to 6 characters, and I finally ended up with Marth, Pit, and Mega Man as my mains. I still don't know who I like the best, but I seem to get better results with Marth.

Last edited:

Tino

Smash Hero
NNID
FaustinoRojo10
3DS FC
5284-1678-8857
Switch FC
SW-6232-2426-8037
I've mained :4link: since Smash 64 and I still main him throughout the series. I did eventually picked up :ike:, :snake:, :wolf: and :zelda: as my other mains in Brawl but out of those characters that made it to Sm4sh, I still main :4myfriends: while :4zelda: is now one of my secondaries. Had Wolf made it back in the games, I would also still main him. I've also mained :4mario: since Smash 64, who was my number 1 main since I grew up playing the Mario games. However, I ultimately dropped him since :rosalina: is now in Smash, who is my favorite Mario character ever and the only rep I'll ever play as.

Last edited:

Zylach

Smash Ace
NNID
Orienlithel
3DS FC
1934-1731-9287
I guess I'm an example of character loyalty as I've been playing Samus since melee where I started smash. I hated her in Brawl but still played her every now and again and she's my secondary now in sm4sh. As for Zelda, I picked her up in brawl, expected to main someone else before sm4sh came out seeing as Palutena, Robin, and Rosalina were confirmed and I expected them to just be better than Zelda. Got the game, kept playing Zelda. I'll never leave her.

Ninbat

Smash Rookie
NNID
Ninbat1
I've kept my main, Peach, throughout Brawl and Smash Wii U. My secondary, on the other hand, are always changing pretty much monthly. Small changes, but changes.

MapleWooD

Smash Journeyman
I stuck with the characters I play since they're from my favorite games. I didn't really care about they played until I started playing more competitively, and by then it was too late to switch.

Nixon Corral

Southland Scion
NNID
Nixon_Corral
I stick with Falcon because I have the most fun with him in every Smash, even Brawl (although I switch to secondaries most often in Brawl because oof, losing can impact that fun ratio).

Luigi is also my chief secondary in pretty much all the Smash games, but I need to get more practice in with him in PM.

They're the characters I have the most fun with and are from two of my favorite series. Can't ask for much more, regardless of how it affects my play when switching between games.

Last edited:

DJDave189

Smash Journeyman
NNID
DJDave157
In 64 I usually just rotate between :4kirby: and :4ness:. In Melee I rotate between :4luigi: and :4drmario:. Then came Brawl in that game I usually rotated between :4wario2: and :4olimar:. In PM I rotated between :4wario2: and :snake: and Finally in Smash 4 I rotate between :4wario2: and :4pacman:.

Ever since Brawl I always felt that Wario was my true main, while the others were more like co-main and secondaries. Wario is a character I enjoy playing as a lot, he's one of my favorite Mario characters. I love his wacky movesets and to me he's tons of fun. I'll probably stick with Wario in all Smash games.

Last edited:

Pale Tuna

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Sdarian
My mains are always changing lol. I get bored of characters pretty easily, so it is hard to keep up with a main. The longest I mained a character was Melee and Brawl. I used Marth quite a lot, as compared to other characters, though towards the end of Brawl, I stopped using him and went to Snake. I may pick up Marth again for Smash 4 since recently, I have been thinking that I should go back to my older characters from past iterations. :p Might have to main Marth again...

Raijinken

Smash Master
Played Marth from Melee through Project M. Still use him as a secondary, but his lack of redeeming qualities have caused me to swap for Smash4.

Castle Maker

Smash Cadet
NNID
Castle Maker
3DS FC
0130-2851-8580
The only character i really keep is frim Melee to PM...just makes sense. I May sound crazy. But smash 4 feels alot like smash 64, an im contemplating using mario more often, maybe even fox.

Lorde

Let 'em talk
Switch FC
SW-6881-0865-5788
I'm very dedicated to maining the trash that is :4zelda:, and I'll continue maining her as long as she's in Smash. Besides, maining a consistently bottom tier character has an inexplicable charm to it.

Last edited:

DarkStar64

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Keystoner_33
3DS FC
4914-3939-6213
I'm very dedicated to maining the trash that is :4zelda:, and I'll continue maining her as long as she's in Smash. Besides, maining a consistently bottom tier character has an inexplicable charm to it.
As an Ike main I can definitely relate lol

Lorde

Let 'em talk
Switch FC
SW-6881-0865-5788
I mean Zelda seems like she could be viable in the right hands Nairo puts in work with her
That's because Nairo is a very talented player and he can make any character look good. Simply put, Zelda's flaws greatly outweigh any strengths she has.

But I don't really need to spread Zelda negativity outside the Zelda boards, so I'll stop lol.

chipndip

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Chiptendo
3DS FC
4098-3083-1621
I main Yoshi in this game. I tried maining Yoshi in Brawl, but Brawl was not in his favor. I ended up doing better with D3 and Fox. I mean, I wasn't even that good, but at least I could be "better than a good deal of people" when using those two.

I actually always make an effort to use Yoshi in ANY game he appears in. Mario Kart? Yoshi. Mario Party? Yoshi. Mario n' Sonic mini-game bundle? Yoshi. Mario sports games? Yoshi. Main franchise Mario game? Gonna find the Yoshi in every level they're in. Like, why the hell not?

Anywho, if I'm going for the win, I normally leave it to Yoshi or Pit, but mainly Yoshi. I was trying to find someone else in the roster I can use better than Pit to replace Pit with, but no dice. I guess I'm set in stone.

I mean Zelda seems like she could be viable in the right hands Nairo puts in work with her
If she had real aerials instead of a gambling issue, she'd be pretty mid-tier at least.

Last edited:
Top Bottom