• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Keeping mains between games....

wingedarcher7

The PSI Powerhouse
NNID
speedstar623
3DS FC
3411-2028-1159
I've stuck with my boy Ness, I enjoy knowing that I'm using him because I like him and not resorting to him just because he's considered good by many people. It's more fun that way for me, I have to stay loyal to the characters I like.

Buffoon

Smash Ace
NNID
Buffoon_on_U
3DS FC
1719-3804-4029
I've been playing Mario ever since N64; the most trouble I have with him is jumping back and forth between PM/Melee to Sm4sh on account of his "feel" and combos for the respective games.

justaway12

Smash Master
I've been maining Peach since Melee and will likely continue to main her since the end of time.

Not to say I don't enjoy other characters but ehh, I've always played her, she's my fav character and she's fun, I can't see myself changing, though my second, Jiggs has always been tempting, and now Palutena and Samus as well~

Lag Chan

Fastfall Nair Everyday
NNID
BlankaHondaShrek
I've always had an affinity for heavyweights, so even if I don't directly use him I'll always use DK to some extent.
As for Dr Mario and Game and Watch, I can't. Smash 4 has butchered them really badly, especially Game and Watch. Goes from a unique rewarding character into a weak generic speedster character. At least I have Little Mac and Mewtwo for all my glass cannon needs.

Evello

Smash Journeyman
NNID
TinyTinyHippo
3DS FC
0473-7825-0053
I stuck with Ike between Brawl and Wii U, but he hardly changed so it wasn't a big adjustment. Ike also happens to be the protagonist of my favorite game of all time, so I would probably still main him even if they nerfed him into the dust.

Outside of my one main, though, my preferred characters change quite a bit between games. I have at least messed around with Marth in every game since Melee, but I really liked Pit and Toon Link in Brawl and have completely dumped them in SSB4.

GhostUrsa

Smash Ace
NNID
GhostUrsa
3DS FC
1220-6542-6727
Link and I still have a healthy Smash relationship, but as I've gotten older I've needed someone that I can keep up with the physical demands necessary to keep fighting. I pretty much switched my Main and Secondary and have been at that since Smash 4 started.

DavemanCozy

Smash Photographer
NNID
CavemanCossy
3DS FC
0216-1810-7681
:peachmelee: will always be my girl, but :4peach: is too different for me to play her in this game.

There really is a big difference in playing these characters, and since I still like playing Melee, I focus on :4fox: and :4wario2: for this game.

Last edited:

LancerStaff

Smash Hero
3DS FC
1504-5709-4054
Well, didn't have much of a main until Brawl, where it was MK until I really understood how OP he was. Then I picked up Pit when Uprising was announced and stuck with him even after all the changes.

Adrwisler

Smash Rookie
NNID
Adriwisler
Ive always mained Marth since Brawl. It was quite the change from the Wii version but I like the WiiU version a lot, that being said I wish he wasn't so damn laggy. My secondaries from Brawl were Toon Link, Rob, and Mr Game & Watch. For Sm4sh however, I am loving Wii Fit Trainer and slowly getting into Charizard.

Other than that I played the 64 and melee so casually that I never bothered to main anybody I would just pick random.

Foxy Alopex

Smash Ace
NNID
Foxy_Alopex
Peach has been my main since Melee and I don't think I will ever change it, Fox was my first main in 64 until Peach was revealed in Melee so Fox is my second main until Wolf showed up in Brawl and he became my second main but now Fox is back to being my second main since Wolf didn't return in SSB4 but I'm still hoping for Wolf to be DLC.

Putuk

Smash Lord
3DS FC
2723-9688-6533
Switch FC
SW-8387-2163-6416
Well, seeing that I mained :lucas::ivysaur::wolf: in Brawl that's a lil' problematic, now ain't it?
Also:pichumelee: in Melee.

Luckily, :4lucas:will be returning next month. :wolf: will probably show up sooner or later.
Meanwhile I also picked up :4dedede:, who is fantastic and beautiful.
:4ness: will be dropped for :4lucas:next month, since I only picked him up to fill the void Lucas left.

Kamui Nohr

Smash Journeyman
:olimar: In Brawl then I dropped him in Smash 4 in favor of all the Fire Emblem characters that aren't Marth and male Robin. Started to use him online as a little bit of a joke, watched Moon Moonkey's Olimar/Alph in action, and then I've officially picked Olimar back up as my main.
Well, that's partially true. My main is :4alph: now.

Alph Squad represent!

Last edited:

Burruni

Smash Hero
64: I was young, but as I grew into understanding matters, it basically became :kirby64: with :pikachu64: secondary.

Melee: When I really got into Smashing properly, Kirby became Garbage and :jigglypuffmelee: & :ganondorfmelee: became my deliberate hard hitting duo because I just was not comfortable with the high speed characters that normally dominate the game. :pikachumelee: and :luigimelee: basically became my secondaries.

Brawl: As my mains got TRASHED in quality, :warioc::popo::icsmelee::olimar: became my main trio with my secondaries being :pikachu2::gw::dedede:

Edit: Project M: :jigglypuff::ganondorf::warioc: brought together as my unholy trinity, :dk2::popo::icsmelee::olimar: as my secondaries. Didn't get to spend that much time with it competatively.

Smash 4: Icies ended up becoming the worst character option in the game, so :4jigglypuff::4ganondorf::4wario2: back on top with :4bowserjr:as the round-out to my main quatro. :4ness::4pikachu::4olimar:and :4shulk:rounding out to be my secondary arsenal.

Ironically, Pikachu always held in my (official games) secondary pool and Ness, a character I typically never played because he always felt awkward for me, ended up becoming one of my favorites in Smash 4.

The issue is I apparently have a terrible history of getting my mains horribly nerfed.

Last edited:

YoshiandToad

Smash Hero
Like chipndip and jpkurihara I'm a Yoshi mainer through the good times(aka now) and the bad times(aka every other time).

It'll take someone REALLY special to make me even consider abandoning my favourite video game character...

Ura

Smash Legend
Switch FC
SW-2772-0149-6703
If you were playing on a competitive level, most pro players would tell you to change your main for every game.

The only exception most of the time is if you have a main in Melee and want to cross it over to PM. For an example, I main Roy in PM but I still use Marth from time to time due to me having him as a main in Melee and thus easily being able to use him in PM.

Aetheri

W/E happens don't panic...
Switch FC
SW-3397-5428-2304
:4link: main since 64! Not likely going to change in the future either! I've made it a tradition to christen any new smash game by picking Link first over any or all new characters no matter how interesting! So far the tradition still holds true!
:4zss:is looking like my go to secondary from here on out!
:4falco:RIP...(I know he's not bad but his playstyle doesn't suit me anymore)

DJDave189

Smash Journeyman
NNID
DJDave157
If you were playing on a competitive level, most pro players would tell you to change your main for every game.

The only exception most of the time is if you have a main in Melee and want to cross it over to PM. For an example, I main Roy in PM but I still use Marth from time to time due to me having him as a main in Melee and thus easily being able to use him in PM.
You really don't have to change your main for every game if you don't want to, you can still keep the same main. But it's still good to have a backup character. Like Hungrybox for example he uses Jigglypuff in all Smash games but he still uses a few other characters as backup.

Knux27

Smash Journeyman
I main Link in every Smash game. If you are looking at my mains next to my profile, and see Snake as my Brawl main, that is only because I no longer play Brawl. I went to a party after Smash 4 came out, and while my performance in Brawl might have been abysmal due to the fact we all played on WiiMotes, a control scheme I never learned, I just couldn't play as Brawl Link anymore, unless I dropped Link in Project M and Smash 4 and focused solely on Brawl Link. Snake was my secondary, and he was promoted to my main after I pulled off a night full of wins as Snake.

Top Bottom