• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Karate Joe Tunes In From Rhythm Heaven - This beat is nonstop!

Jigglystep

Smash Ace
NNID
Davichii
3DS FC
2165-5996-6936
Woah, that's extremely well-made.. 0.0
Amazingly creative ideas like this make me REALLY wishful for an official Rhythm Heaven character reveal trailer. I love it!

Also, that RH-styled Kirby is adorable.. It'd be really neat if the trailer and website poster featured a bunch of the characters in that art style! :grin:

DonkaFjord

Smash Lord
NNID
DonkaFjord
Woah, that's extremely well-made.. 0.0
Amazingly creative ideas like this make me REALLY wishful for an official Rhythm Heaven character reveal trailer. I love it!

Also, that RH-styled Kirby is adorable.. It'd be really neat if the trailer and website poster featured a bunch of the characters in that art style! :grin:
Does that mean kirby got sliced in half in the beginning? Haha
Also I would love to see the different Nintendo characters rendered in the Rhythm Heaven style (If not for the trailer then for the poster.)

Thereallucario

Smash Journeyman
All right, I guess I finally caved into it, I support Joe.

I think it had something to do with getting rhythm heaven fever about a month back and today now finally perfecting the "karate man" game. Let me also say that I definitely think fever is the best in the series, and that's from someone who just played it and has had the ds one sense the day it came out. So in short, add me to to support list plz!

Also what is your thoughts on the mysterious pink stage? TO ME it looks kinda like rhythm heaven from hole in one two.

Zzuxon

Smash Champion
NNID
zzuxon
3DS FC
3695-0453-0481
All right, I guess I finally caved into it, I support Joe.

I think it had something to do with getting rhythm heaven fever about a month back and today now finally perfecting the "karate man" game. Let me also say that I definitely think fever is the best in the series, and that's from someone who just played it and has had the ds one sense the day it came out. So in short, add me to to support list plz!

Also what is your thoughts on the mysterious pink stage? TO ME it looks kinda like rhythm heaven from hole in one two.
I think that is Mother's Magicant.

Thereallucario

Smash Journeyman
Er... My only problem with that is that the stage is pink, VERRY pink. magicant is pink on the outside but that ground is very green. Also, the orb like thing on the bottom left could possibly be the top of rhythm heaven seeing of how it has a similar design. if only the whole thing wasn't a giant pink blur for most of the stage, then I could accuracy see what it is...

Hippopotasauce

Smash Lord
NNID
Hippopotasauce
Er... My only problem with that is that the stage is pink, VERRY pink. magicant is pink on the outside but that ground is very green. Also, the orb like thing on the bottom left could possibly be the top of rhythm heaven seeing of how it has a similar design. if only the whole thing wasn't a giant pink blur for most of the stage, then I could accuracy see what it is...
Magicant is pink in Mother 1.
Plus as far as the leaked stage roster goes, there's no other Mother stage.

Last edited:

DonkaFjord

Smash Lord
NNID
DonkaFjord
Magicant is pink in Mother 1.
Plus as far as the leaked stage roster goes, there's no other Mother stage.
Still odd why they chose something from the console Mother titles for the 3DS but they ignored a lot of series and their handheld past so we'll see. Maybe it will be shared with the Wii U version, but I personally would prefer Onett if they fill in the gaps like they did with the 3DS version. It's nice whether it is Mother 1 representation or Rhythm Heaven's Rhythm Heaven in my opinion.

the smash nerd

Smash Ace
NNID
Nick.s3dsWiFi2
3DS FC
0344-9996-3724
Not bad, but IMO, I'd personally go with the "Fighter Kirby" reference myself.
Just make the headband white (or black, I think...:confused:) and you got something there. I like your idea too, I'm not saying it's bad or anything like that, of course.
ok

Thereallucario

Smash Journeyman
AHHHHHH... That makes sense now, I never played mother 1, only earthbound. Thought I had missed something there for a second. But I see your point, this could be a viable stage for smash, seeing as how it also looks like a pink blur on this laptop. Honestly though at this point it could be ether. Just if it is... why from mother 1? So strange...

PSIGuy

Smash Lord
Woah woah woah I'm just a man, missing you please understand.
Without you, I'm dying.

...;_;7 RIP Karate Joe.

edit: Might as well make this my send-off post for the thread. I'm glad I got into RH out of all this speculation about a possible rep in the game.On the downside I'm not only a bit sore about the absence of any RH reps, I'm also gonna be on edge until they announce a new RH game.

Last edited:

Souldin

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Souldin
3DS FC
4854-6557-6769
That's... that's a real shame to see. It's not the first time a leaked trophy has disappointed me though, I had to suffer this with Medusa and Wolf as well.

Do you know if the Karate Joe trophy is in it's own section or is it in a Rhythm Heaven dedicated section... actually, are the trophies organised via series like Brawl or not, like Melee?

Hippopotasauce

Smash Lord
NNID
Hippopotasauce
And now that we know characters who are trophies can still become playable...

Skyward

Smash Apprentice
I think the biggest omission in Smash 4 when it comes to additions is the lack of Rhythm Heaven content, especially with the series' rise in popularity after Brawl. I've only played the Wii game, so I'm not attached to the Chorus Kids, but the Karate Man mini-game is both fun and memorable, and Joe gets an edge over the Chorus Kids due to being a series mainstay. Also his PAL trophy description mentions that he is a pretty cool guy who punches flowerpots and doesn't afraid of anything, and that makes me want to see him as DLC.

BluePikmin11

Akko is my dear daughter!
NNID
blue
I don't think he's likely anymore, if Sakurai didn't want to replace the Chorus Kids during development. Then he'll probably won't change his mind during DLC development.

Hippopotasauce

Smash Lord
NNID
Hippopotasauce
I don't think he's likely anymore, if Sakurai didn't want to replace the Chorus Kids during development. Then he'll probably won't change his mind during DLC development.
That's assuming Chorus Kids were in development in the first place.

Dinoman96

Smash Master
I'm quite bothered by the dearth of RH content in these games. It's a fairly significant Nintendo SPD/Yoshio Sakamoto developed series to the point where even if it didn't get a playable character, I figured we'd get a stage with a rhythm gimmick, but no dice on that department either.

I know the words "Gematsu leaks" seem to agitate some folks, but I still find it highly suspicious that Rhythm Heaven, along with Ice Climber (We know the ICs were cut during development, however), is the only series to have an enemy in Smash Run with not one single playable character or even stage associated with it (The fact that the Chorus Kids even showed up as trophies at all, along with other cut characters like Lucas and Ice Climbers, makes me raise my eyebrows a bit).

On the subject of Karate Joe, I understand he's the first character you meet in RH, but I'm not sure if a generic karate dude is the best way to represent a musical rhythm series (Which is why I liked the idea of the Chorus Kids better, considering they're a group of singing children).

DonkaFjord

Smash Lord
NNID
DonkaFjord
It'd be more interesting if both IC and RH got stages in the Wii U version. The icies at least have their retro stages to fall back on.

Hippopotasauce

Smash Lord
NNID
Hippopotasauce
It'd be more interesting if both IC and RH got stages in the Wii U version. The icies at least have their retro stages to fall back on.
Since Ice Climber is a track on the Duck Hunt stage, looks like we won't be getting Summit.

DonkaFjord

Smash Lord
NNID
DonkaFjord
Since Ice Climber is a track on the Duck Hunt stage, looks like we won't be getting Summit.
Ehhh- Darn... We have a lacking of an Ice stage and t really sucks to see 0 representation for a series that was once repped.

Hippopotasauce

Smash Lord
NNID
Hippopotasauce
Never before has something more accurately depicted my feelings.

Last edited:

DonkaFjord

Smash Lord
NNID
DonkaFjord
MC Adore looks so cute in that. Weren't you the one who was asking who has made RH inspired Miis, too? It's all too accurate.

Iko MattOrr

Smash Champion
NNID
Iko_MattOrr
After the Mewtwo thing, looks like the charcters with a trophy have more chances of being DLC than characters without one, so... the "bad" news is that almost all the other viable characters from Rhythma Heaven also have a trophy, so we're back at the start -.-
Also, there are some screenshots of the WiiU version that show some suspicious empty spaces in the screen of the character trophies at the end of the classic mode, and this looks like an hint that Mewtwo won't be alone.

SmashChu

Banned via Warnings
I think the biggest omission in Smash 4 when it comes to additions is the lack of Rhythm Heaven content, especially with the series' rise in popularity after Brawl. I've only played the Wii game, so I'm not attached to the Chorus Kids, but the Karate Man mini-game is both fun and memorable, and Joe gets an edge over the Chorus Kids due to being a series mainstay. Also his PAL trophy description mentions that he is a pretty cool guy who punches flowerpots and doesn't afraid of anything, and that makes me want to see him as DLC.
It is strange really. You'd think the series would have at least got a stage or some songs, but it got nothing. Karate Joe would be an interesting character, though I think any Rhythm Heaven character would have to use moves based on the minigames. Karate Joe could still fill this role though. Another thing they could do is have rhythm smash attacks. As you charge the attack, you'll hear a metronome. If you release on the beat, it's super strong, but almost whiffs if you dont. They could be great against shields, so the opponent would have to sidestep in time too.

Spongyoshi

Smash Cadet
NNID
spongyoshi
3DS FC
3523-2485-5804
I was coming there to post this gimmick for him and.. You just posted it! And yeah that would be awesome but that would be for all attacks! At the start of the match,you see a metronome in rhythm with the music and disappears with his sound.
It appears at each attack and shield you do as well with hit taken. If you do the corresponding action in rhythm with the metronome,your attack is stronger,your shield is more powerful and if you take an hit,it's more deadly! So that even your enemy has to get into the rhythm! That would be a really great way to make him unique i think.

Quillion

Smash Hero
Karate Joe is definitely THE mascot of the series to me, and I know that he's the mascot of the series to many other people as well.

Being the very first minigame and appearing in all 4.5 games (.5 being the arcade version of Rhythm Heaven Silver) has to count for something.

CoolBob

Smash Cadet
Well, if I told you, it wouldn't be a secret!
I voted for him. Unfortunately since Rhythm Heaven doesn't really have a main character, I don't think that every fan of the series can agree on which character to submit. And even if we all voted for the same character, I doubt they would get that many votes, sadly. But it's worth a try.

Quillion

Smash Hero
I voted for him. Unfortunately since Rhythm Heaven doesn't really have a main character, I don't think that every fan of the series can agree on which character to submit. And even if we all voted for the same character, I doubt they would get that many votes, sadly. But it's worth a try.
Gematsu leak ruined his recognition. I was there from before the leak and Karate Joe was pretty much the top choice from the RH fandom for Smash. Then Gematsu came and now the Chorus Kids are the most popular, but only outside the core fandom aFAIK.

Hippopotasauce

Smash Lord
NNID
Hippopotasauce
Gematsu leak ruined his recognition. I was there from before the leak and Karate Joe was pretty much the top choice from the RH fandom for Smash. Then Gematsu came and now the Chorus Kids are the most popular, but only outside the core fandom aFAIK.
Karate Joe was more popular than Marshal or Rhythm Girl but still far less than the Wrestler.

DonkaFjord

Smash Lord
NNID
DonkaFjord
Karate Joe was more popular than Marshal or Rhythm Girl but still far less than the Wrestler.
It depends where you looked and if they have played the series or not. Some people favored Rhythm Girl and Karate Joe over the wrestler due to seniority and representing a larger chunk of the series. Rhythm Heaven is just weird character wise and some people don't understand its almost completely rotating cast. Long story short I really am torn to vote for who I really want because I know she has a snowball's chance in hell against the masses clamoring for the Chorus Men.

Top Bottom