• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Karate Joe Tunes In From Rhythm Heaven - This beat is nonstop!

Hippopotasauce

Smash Lord
NNID
Hippopotasauce
Just wanted to give this thread a bump. BTW, I also wanted to also ask you, Hippopotasauce, is the Kirby Hat for Karate Joe basically supposed to be referencing Fighter Kirby?
Goddamn this is old.
And yeah, probably.

LucaSmash

Smash Cadet
Chorus Kids! It's good to see that if RH gets more popular, we have more reps possible though :) Hopefully Karate Joe is an assist trophy (can replace Little Mac!)

Hippopotasauce

Smash Lord
NNID
Hippopotasauce
Hey guys, I've completely revamped the OP, so please check it out when you can.
Given the Gematsu leak has fallen from bible status to highly questionable, this opens up a lot of leg room for other Rhythm Heaven characters. First thought in my mind? Karate Joe, the original Rhythm Heaven rep.

I've given him new moveset ideas, new alt costumes, and paragraphs of justification why he feels like he would work best to me. I do hope some new fans are created from this.

DonkaFjord

Smash Lord
NNID
DonkaFjord
Hey guys, I've completely revamped the OP, so please check it out when you can.
Given the Gematsu leak has fallen from bible status to highly questionable, this opens up a lot of leg room for other Rhythm Heaven characters. First thought in my mind? Karate Joe, the original Rhythm Heaven rep.

I've given him new moveset ideas, new alt costumes, and paragraphs of justification why he feels like he would work best to me. I do hope some new fans are created from this.
If anything, I would be upset if Karate Joe or the Samurai didn't make it as an assist or cameo. I wonder if Rhythm Heaven will get any items added if they have a playable character added to the roster.

LucaSmash

Smash Cadet
I want to be a supporter!
Also, there was a post around a month ago of someone who corrected the Gematsu leak. He said that Chrom was not playable, but Lucina was (which came true), and he also said Chorus Kids aren't playable, Marshal is.
I'll take it! Rhythm Heaven!!! :D

PSIGuy

Smash Lord
I'd be perfectly fine with Karate Joe. Even if he doesn't have the same popularity as some other RH characters, he'll definitely get more popular just by being in the game.

I'm hoping his tilts, smashes and aerials are all multi-hit sort of like how MetaKnight had a forward tilt combo, or Link has that two-part forward smash.

Hippopotasauce

Smash Lord
NNID
Hippopotasauce
I'm hoping his tilts, smashes and aerials are all multi-hit sort of like how MetaKnight had a forward tilt combo, or Link has that two-part forward smash.
That's actually a really good idea.

Also I'd put a karate moveset together but I know zero karate.

Dustiletto

Smash Cadet
NNID
greasyitalian
3DS FC
3411-1534-9274
Oh finally! I've wanted Karate Joe ever since I've picked up the RH series. While I realize he's not the most ideal, IMO he deserves the slot the most. This guide makes me want him even more!
And while I realize we might not get him if a RH rep IS chosen, I would be super happy with one regardless.

EDIT: Also, I'd love to be a supporter!

Last edited:

Aguki90

Smash Ace
NNID
Aguki900
3DS FC
2423-2759-1478
Well... Karate Joe is my First Rhythm Heaven Characters to be in Smash, Before the chorus Kids taking all Glory...
I got Rhythm Heaven and Rhythm Heaven Fever and his minigame is one of my favorite!
The thing that Karate Joe beat Chorus Kids is because, Is always has a Minigame and Badass Comeback. Is in every Single Rhythm Heaven game including the First one, HE is there punching thing nonstop, and he always have too a Second Part too.
It always has soft on me. And the Music theme in Rhythm Heaven Fever is one of the best Music of the entire Franchise.

He have my FULL support.

Hippopotasauce

Smash Lord
NNID
Hippopotasauce
My theory is that people will be less turned off by him if they see more pictures where he's not doing the basic ingame pose.

Luugyhero12

Smash Apprentice
3DS FC
1435-3635-9083
Double Post Warning Received
i'll support this thread

I Think He Could Be Announced With Another Rhythm Heaven Character, Wrestler, Marshal, Chorus Kid, The Monkey, Or Even The Girl.

Last edited by a moderator:

Hippopotasauce

Smash Lord
NNID
Hippopotasauce
Two Rhythm Heaven characters is an absolute pipe dream but it's something that won't happen and I think shouldn't happen.

DonkaFjord

Smash Lord
NNID
DonkaFjord
I agree, rhythm heaven isn't deserving of two fighters. Who we get is who we get and no one else.

PSIGuy

Smash Lord
I think the music that plays after getting a Perfect/Superb (on the picture after each game that changes to reflect your score) might work better. Have him blush or smirk at the camera during this as well. Maybe with a 3 line analysis of your game could be on the victory screen (Your smashes were great, bro! Your item usage was resourceful and clever! Your stage recoveries were breathtaking! PERFECT!).

EDIT
My idea for Karate Joe's moveset

Special: Hit 3. Objects fly from the screen towards KJ; he can hit them with jabs etc to send them flying at enemies as projectiles. You can hit all 3 or just some of them if you want.
Down Special: Barrel-Bomb. Similar to above, but the Barrel is harder to break, while the bomb deals more damage.
Side Special: Punchpunchpunchpapow!: Basically his RH Wii combo, you can choose how far to go with it.
Up Special: Not quite sure. I don't want to pick something from a specific RH Rhythm game that Joe wasn't in, so either a series-wide reference or something original. Maybe he's sent flying up in a barrel, which he breaks out of by attacking.

Main gimmick: All of Karate Joe's smashes and tilts have multiple parts, like MetaKnight's F-tilt, Link's F-Smash. You can wait up to a beat and a half before the move ends, so you can attack with each part in succession, after a pause etc. Combined with the ability to miss hits from other attacks, and Karate Joe has a lot of variance in how he can attack which can throw people off. Possibly even other attacks like his aerials or dash attack could be multi-hit.
Weight would be between medium and heavy; fast fall speed. His main strength would be his unpredictability, since all his attacks have some variance.

That might seem like much, but Robin has aerial smash attacks after all...

Last edited:

DonkaFjord

Smash Lord
NNID
DonkaFjord

A little love for the most suggested RH reps from miiverse. Decided to post it on the (I think) oldest RH support thread. Also that Karate Joe kirby hat is hilarious!

VictoryIsMudkipz

Smash Journeyman
I really hope this is sort of like the case with Chrom, where instead of getting the Chorus Men, they are in the game, just not playable and instead have Karate Joe be the Rhythm Heaven rep

Hippopotasauce

Smash Lord
NNID
Hippopotasauce
I really hope this is sort of like the case with Chrom, where instead of getting the Chorus Men, they are in the game, just not playable and instead have Karate Joe be the Rhythm Heaven rep
Eh, I don't think Chrom's situation is really comparable to anyone else's. With him it's a matter of the most obvious choice not necessarily being the best in Sakurai's eyes. With Rhythm Heaven there isn't a single obvious choice. And if there's going to be a character, it would be selected with criteria in mind we probably don't yet know about.

PSIGuy

Smash Lord
Yeah, RH doesn't have enough recurring characters to have any 'obvious' options. I think it's better that way; he can look at each character for their individual merits, what they could bring to the table etc instead of "Well we need the main character".

DonkaFjord

Smash Lord
NNID
DonkaFjord
Sure thing is whoever he picks will most likely become the face of rhythm heaven and become a recurring/more prominent character in the series... To be totally honest I would hate having such visually bland characters like marshal, chorus men, or karate Joe UNLESS they took from other mini games or have an interesting gimmick or move set... It's such a colorful series and we know its only going to garner a single rep so I just want it to be perfect (or I am biased... sorry.) Karate Joe I would want over the other two just because of seniority and being a recurring character Also the final smash and stage has a high chance of cameos from the other characters suggested. I'd love an item in the game that also reacted to a stage's music. Either a thrown projectile that bounces to the beat or something like DK's final smash in Brawl where the blast radius is affected and expands by the beat.

I guess who I would want:
1.Rhythm Girl
2.Karate Joe/Wrestler
3.Chorus men/Barista Dog
4.Marshal/Monkey
5.Dj Yellow
6. Hue birds

Who I think deserves it:
1.Karate Joe
2.Rhythm Girl/Barista Dog/Chorus men
3.Monkey
4.Wrestler/Marshal
5.Dj Yellow/Hue birds

Anyways-
Here is an image dump since I was a bit rough on Karate Joe (forgive me haha.)

Also can his losing pose be something like:

Last edited:

PixelPasta

Smash Lord
For me, Karate Joe would be the second best option for a RH rep, next to Chorus Men. I'd honestly be pretty happy either way.

I'd just hope that Karate Joe would reference other RH content in his moveset, rather than just his own minigame and a bunch of generic karate moves.

Oracle_Summon

Smash Hero
Hey guys, according to this list, how would Karate Joe's moveset be classified? (hybrid classes are possible):

Zoner - Character whose strength lies in forcing their opponent to stay in a certain area. Ex: :4marth:

Ranger - Character whose strength lies in their ranged attacks to force opponents to keep their distance. Ex: :4link:

Speedster - Character whose strength lies in their speed and ability to overwhelm their opponents with relentless attacks. Ex: :4pikachu:

Trickster - Character whose strength lies in a quirky moveset that is hard to predict and can alter the battle field. Ex: :4villager:

Bruiser - Character whose strength lies in devastating attacks to quickly finish off opponents. Ex: :4falcon:

Resistor - Character whose strength lies in super armor that allows them to tank hits to strike down opponents. Ex: :4bowser:

Puppeteer - Character whose strength lies in overwhelming opponents with relentless attacks stopping opponents from striking back. Strength in numbers. Ex: :rosalina:

Juggler - Character whose strength lies in being able to string combos together to finish off opponents. Ex: :4luigi:

Aguki90

Smash Ace
NNID
Aguki900
3DS FC
2423-2759-1478
Hey guys, according to this list, how would Karate Joe's moveset be classified? (hybrid classes are possible):
Speedster - Character whose strength lies in their speed and ability to overwhelm their opponents with relentless attacks. Ex: :4pikachu:

Trickster - Character whose strength lies in a quirky moveset that is hard to predict and can alter the battle field. Ex: :4villager:

Bruiser - Character whose strength lies in devastating attacks to quickly finish off opponents. Ex: :4falcon:

Juggler - Character whose strength lies in being able to string combos together to finish off opponents. Ex: :4luigi:
Juggler, Bruiser and speedster can be good for is karate style. But, I think I go with trickster, Is karate Joe can have moves from other Rhythm Heavens games it would be more epic.

Oracle_Summon

Smash Hero
Juggler, Bruiser and speedster can be good for is karate style. But, I think I go with trickster, Is karate Joe can have moves from other Rhythm Heavens games it would be more epic.
What type of characters do you think would give him the hardest time?

Top Bottom