• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Kanto Tournament 2010 Video Topic (Opening Video + Nicovideo matches)

malva00

Smash Master
Discuss the videos from the 5th Kanto Tournament that took place in Tokyo, Japan on August 21st, 2010.

They will upload the matches for the bracket's Top 8 to youtube, but dunno whose account. I'll add links to this post once the videos are found.

Tournament Rules:

Dreamland Only
4 stock; 5 stock for Top 8 in the bracket
No changing characters
No items
Best of 1; Best of 3 for FINALS
Excessive DK chain grabbing is banned, so is Ness's PK Freeze (reflecting Ness's PK Thunder twice).

1st: Round Robin Pools (dunno how many got out)

2nd: Single Elimination Bracket

Tournament Videos/Results:

OPENING MOVIE
This was played at the beginning of the tournament.

NICOVIDEO MATCHES

Semifinals, Third Place Match and Grand Finals only

YOUTUBE MATCHES (NOT AVAILABLE YET)

Quarterfinals:

S(Fox) vs Moyashi(Kirby)
Tsukuru(Falcon) vs Bata(Samus)
King(Falcon) vs Okaju(Link)
Kikoushi(Kirby) vs Kidbell(Falcon)

Semifinals:

Moyashi(Kirby) vs Kikoushi(Kirby)
Okaju(Link) vs Tsukuru(Falcon)

Third Place Match:

Tsukuru(Falcon) vs Kikoushi(Kirby)

Grand Finals:

Moyashi(Kirby) vs Okaju(Link)

==================================================

Misc Notes:

1. S beat MEGU and Prince
2. 92 people entered (maybe)
3. Buchimake Matsuri and Ruoka Danchou were on the registration list.
4. Find Olikus's latest posts in this topic if you want some cool details of the tourney. Olikus is a Norway player who just happened to be in Japan at the same time, so he attended.

I will edit this post to update/correct information.

Battlecow

Play to Win
Lol Malva. You know you're the fattest one.

Hey, actually, this is a bit off topic, but bear with me- is the smash community considerably less fat than other video game communities, or is that just me? I mean, besides S2J*, none of you strike me as particularly obese. Shout out if you're fat and I didn't know it. Official definition of fat in this case is a BMI of 25+.

I'm actually pumped to see these vids. Isai (it feels good to say that instead of malva), can you give us a who's who of the competitors, if it's not too much trouble? There's been a little of this in the social thread.

10 bucks on Jousuke's Samus to beat everyone*.

*Kidding. Please don't hurt me, S2J.

Edit: I just read the latest on the social thread and it makes the relevant part of that comment irrelevant, so... That prince, huh? Got knocked out prior to the top eight.

Personally, I'm now betting that ten bucks on OLIKUS's polygon DK to take it without losing a stock. Sorry Isai, you gon get pwned.

Olikus, you now have to play polygon DK. I'm sorry.

Battlecow

Play to Win
Kefit's kinda fat.
How fat is "kinda fat"? I'm mean, we're not talking A$ chubby* here, we're talking fat. Get a BMI from him next time you can. I'm compiling data in hopes of proving a correlation between Smash 64 and healthy weight, and getting it instituted instead of PE in high schools nationwide. Michelle Obama might go for it.

*I'm joking. Please don't hurt me, A$

malva00

Smash Master
Not that hard to get knocked out when it's best of 1. Not saying he wouldn't have gotten knocked out anyways.

Dunno that many Japanese players because my kaillera can't see Japanese characters and I don't play in their server that often. Too lazy to look at the registration list again.

I hope they save the BRACKET.

DMoogle

A$
My BMI is 23 now. I was fat a year ago (BMI of 33 early last summer).* BMI is a ****ty way of telling whether someone is fat or not. A muscular guy probably should be "overweight" by BMI standards. I do feel like there aren't a lot of overweight smashers (or at least, Smash 64 players) This is totally off topic though.

What are red robin pools?

**Infraction to be given for calling me chubby

Battlecow

Play to Win
My BMI is 23 now. I was fat a year ago (BMI of 33 early last summer).* BMI is a ****ty way of telling whether someone is fat or not. A muscular guy probably should be "overweight" by BMI standards. I do feel like there aren't a lot of overweight smashers (or at least, Smash 64 players) This is totally off topic though.

What are red robin pools?

**Infraction to be given for calling me chubby
You don't actually have to put the quotation marks around "black" (lol irony). HTML ******s me up too. It's round robin, not red, and it basically refers to any game where a small group of people all play each other- sometimes switching every time and sometimes winner-stays-ing it. We do it in fencing all the time.

I agree about the BMI, but it's nice to have a simple number to rely on. No, it's not perfect, but in most cases it serves well if used as a rough rule of thumb. You run into similar problems with any other simple way of measuring obesity short of looking at someone. And I didn't mean it when I called you chubby. I meant more of portly. Perhaps stout. ;)

And yeah, what is it about the single-elim thing? Culture clash or something, It's like I'm reading a Clavell novel and saying "Wait, he did what?" To any American with an understanding of the game, I think it would seem strange. I dunno about Europeans or Aussies, but I expect Canadians would feel the same way (inb4 AA rage).

DMoogle

A$
Oops, round robin.

Single elimination would be a good way of generating action for money games. Less games -> smaller sample size -> higher variance -> inferior players have a greater chance of getting in the money (even though their expectation is the same) -> more gamble -> attracts more players to try their luck.

Please forgive my nerdy gambling concepts. :p

I'll go with stout.

Sangoku

Smash Master
I come to this thread hoping to see some great vids of japanese style pros and what I see is a discussion about fat people? WTF?? XD

On a more serious note, I can't wait to see these matches. ^^

That rule with DK and Ness, has it been applied somewhere else before? (like in America or Europe)

blaze3927

Smash Ace
hmm Australia is statistically the fattest country, yet out of all the regular smashers no one is obese, just one chubby* guy that doesn't even play anymore.
*he's a fob, chubby but once he goes through puberty he'll probs be huge

Olikus

Smash Champion
You are my new favorite person. I want to have your adopted babies.

I'm of Swedish heritage though-hope that's not a problem.
Hmm.... Since you are of Swedish heritage it might be a problem :p

Now I'm heading of to the tournament. Hopefully I come back alive and not in a wheelchair.

Battlecow

Play to Win
Hmm.... Since you are of Swedish heritage it might be a problem :p

Now I'm heading of to the tournament. Hopefully I come back alive and not in a wheelchair.
Don't forget the gameshark. You gotta rock the polygon DK.

I have a love/hate relationship with my Norwegian friends (of whom I have a surprising number) just because they feel that they shouldn't befriend a swede. I've always been amazed at how serious they get about it.

I did not know that Australia was the fattest country. I could have sworn it would be the USoA.

Are they only gonna record the top 8 again? that would be weaksauce. And for christ's sake, Japan is supposed to be the land of gadgetry- how does not one of the 85 people have a capture card? I was not digging the video-camera-and-projector-screen setup at the last one.

I'm in no position to complain though. I'll be happy for any matches I can get.

Olikus

Smash Champion
Don't forget the gameshark. You gotta rock the polygon DK.

I have a love/hate relationship with my Norwegian friends (of whom I have a surprising number) just because they feel that they shouldn't befriend a swede. I've always been amazed at how serious they get about it.

I did not know that Australia was the fattest country. I could have sworn it would be the USoA.

Are they only gonna record the top 8 again? that would be weaksauce. And for christ's sake, Japan is supposed to be the land of gadgetry- how does not one of the 85 people have a capture card? I was not digging the video-camera-and-projector-screen setup at the last one.

I'm in no position to complain though. I'll be happy for any matches I can get.
Actually its more the other way. Swedes looks at norwegians as an anoying littlebrother, and rages every time we beat them in sports. Norwegians just makes swedesjokes, but so do all the world as well :p

Anyway back and it was the sickest thing ever!

New goal for the smash64 community. More LIVE tournaments! Its totally crazy. Playing while 100 japanese screams and shout every time taking or giving a hit. It was so much fun.

They did record the top 8 games. I recorded the last final match with my camera (the second was the best. Link goes bananas!!!!). Not so good quality but at least something. I guess there was some which was better. Many who did record. Think they soon on youtube. Red mario was host and commentator this year too.

ciaza

Smash Prodigy
Premium
Actually its more the other way. Swedes looks at norwegians as an anoying littlebrother, and rages every time we beat them in sports. Norwegians just makes swedesjokes, but so do all the world as well :p
Unrelated but I just want to point out that that is EXACTLY the relationship Australia has with new Zealand lol.

chuckj

Smash Journeyman
traitor? :D Moyashi is my friend, i liked the result!

i think 99% of the videos i watch are from japanese players, i really like them and they are very nice people to talk! :)

mr yo

Smash Cadet
traitor? :D Moyashi is my friend, i liked the result!

i think 99% of the videos i watch are from japanese players, i really like them and they are very nice people to talk! :)
i cant found many japanese players videos in youtube...i would like to see more of sima, josuke, prince, etc...but there is not much in youtube....where can i find them?.....any help or link, would be good...thanks...

Olikus

Smash Champion
i cant found many japanese players videos in youtube...i would like to see more of sima, josuke, prince, etc...but there is not much in youtube....where can i find them?.....any help or link, would be good...thanks...

Read the smash 64 index. Under videos there are links to youtubechannells for Japanese players.

dandan

Smash Lord
olikus, when is it that you said you are getting back to europe.
and btw, how did you go, did you pass the first round?

Olikus

Smash Champion
January. Didn't get through unfortunately. The two that passed the first round from my group made it to the top 8. And I havent played smash in 2 months, and half a year active, while they practice 10 hours every day until this event i guess. Dont say i would beat those two anyway, cus I probably wouldn't. They were crazy...

Olikus

Smash Champion
First I went in a small elevator with 20 Japanese players. Then one of them asked isai guy? And I assumed that would be me since Isai got me in so i said yes. And then they went totally insane jumping up and down the elevator screaming Isai guy. I was like a famous man there lol :p When I come in I paid and then picked character. Wasn't 100 percent sure but took Pikachu. Then I guy who said he was Isai friend and mained captain falcon. Didnt catch hes name but he finished 4th and i maybe think he got 2nd last year. He beat me all 5 times we played, but I managed to stock him a bit "proud". But ofc much better than me, at least in Japanese version. No DI so he combo-***** me allot.

Suddenly after playing some Japanese there was a movie. I recorded some of it. Then the 100 Japanese went nuts. They showed all 12 characters comboing and the Japanese screamed and shouted and clapped.

And then the pools. I think it was the Japanese elite because no one there was bad. At least not what i think is bad. I didn't go trough. Was many groups so think only 2 or 3 from each group went trough. Then it was single elimination lol. And many matches were very even. Many Ness DK and puffs and captain falcons. Almost none Pikachu and fox players.

And then the last 8! Moyashi Kirby first against the fox from my group. The fox killed 2 stocks very fast of moyashi, but then he suicided himself 3 times. All while he edguarded moyashi( pwned). So maybe if the played best of 3 moyashi would have lost there. ( not saying he would but i think fox was at least as good in that fight). Then a captain falcon vs an other Kirby. The captain falcon player pushed start button. So then he had to suicied and then Kirby won kind of easy. Then it was isai friend captain falcon vs samus. Very even match.but falcon managed to win. Then Link(Okaju) vs another captain falcon. Okaju went totally nuts. Never seen half the thing he did so don't think i shall explained to much because then i don't know what im talking about. But seriously ****.

So then it was semifinal. Moyashi kirby against brown kirby, and isai friend captain falcon against link Okaju. The kirby fight was very long. It ended 4-3 to moyashi u think. Then in the second semifinal Link went nuts again. Totally destroying captain falcon. And the crowd went wild!!! It was like I were in a shouthing contest. Then bronzefinal with Brown kirby and captain falcon. Kirby won comfortably 4-2

And then the GREAT FINAL!!!

Best of 3. In the first match it was pretty even. But Moyashi won. Then in the second match hokkaido went more bananas than ever and ***** poor moyashi. The crowd started shouting Okaju Okaju, so felt a little bit sad for Moyashi then :p The last match was very even but moyashi was a better edgeguarder than Okaju so in the end fair result. But Okaju was so good as moyashi if not better in my opinion.

Sorry since it not so detailed but has to catch a plane. Feel free to ask questions if anything was unclear or something i forgotten.

Wrote this hasty in 2 mins so something may be wrong.

And also they did call me Isai guy all evening. That was cool.

ciaza

Smash Prodigy
Premium
A link manages to get to the final in a Dreamland only contest, and held it's own against a brilliant Kirby. I'm impressed lol.

chuckj

Smash Journeyman
lol never heard about Hokkaido guy, i thought it was an island of Japan :p

nice summary thanks!

about the videos, all websites i had are now offline, they arent uploading videos as before i guess(there used to be A LOT of them) =/

NixxxoN

Smash Master
wow i expected more from prince :O and megu too!

So this tourney missed Jousuke, the last time he defeated Moyashi with his Samus.

Top Bottom