• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

K. Rool's Kremling Kutthroats: PM BKupa666 for an Invite to the New K. Rool Thread

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Somewhere out there on this big blue marble
Correct me if I'm wrong, but I don't think the Wii U is having spectacular sales right now is it? As Nintendo are now, I figure that they would think twice about this sort of thing, although I guess it wouldn't be that surprising to see Ryu in. I'm all for it, but it's just too good to be true in my eyes.
Then again Capcom isn't doing well financially

Creo

Smash Champion
NNID
Creo93
:link:
As with the original DKC games, as well as DK64, I already own physical copies of all of them, with their respective consoles. That being said, with my recent purchase of DK64 on the Virtual Console, I now own all of those games digitally as well. I figure the support, along with not having to hook up my older consoles to play anymore is worth it in of itself. With DK64 specifically, I haven't touched that game since I was a child, so replaying through it should be quite nostalgic. ;w;

As for Roy and Ryu; With that upcoming Fire Emblem anniversary thing Sakurai is attending, everything is really pointing towards his reveal at this point. Now Ryu. . . While he isn't my first ballot pick for a SSB character, I'm not against the idea (I actually love his character). If any other fighting game character is going to do it, it's him, and he would DEFINITELY sell. Sakurai has stated himself that he also used to be quite fond of Street Fighter in the past, and with those found files. . . I suppose he isn't 100% confirmed, but he'd be an E3-level reveal, I'd like to believe.

In conclusion, K. Rool for life, and for SSB. #KroctheVote

Last edited:

blujay1524

Smash Cadet
lol I could see Wolf coming out before Roy... I mean, no offense but, who would even pay for a second Marth clone?

Last edited:

PSIGuy

Smash Lord
"Why isn't this clone coming out before the other"

They're releasing DLC of popular characters who rate highly on polls because it'll tide people over until the ballot comes out, it'll empty out common votes from the ballot meaning we'll get more interesting results and because it's not that hard to port a character from Melee or Brawl compared to the money they'll get from it.

If you don't like Roy, don't buy him. Personally I think hating clones because they're clones is stupid; Dark Pit and Lucina are dumb because they're not different enough. Roy at least has inverse properties, Doc has the classic tornado.

Honestly, clearing out these veterans votes just means popular votes for newcomers have a better chance. Such as K. Rool, who was losing only to characters like veterans from previous games in most polls?

Arcanir

An old friend evolved
NNID
Shoryu91
3DS FC
4253-4855-5860
The thing with Roy is that he's a popular veteran character that many loved back in Melee and missed him after he was cut in Brawl. For those fans, they'll be really happy to have the opportunity to get the character again and play with him in the new game, even if he is a clone because they still like the character regardless.

Granted, that doesn't necessarily mean you have to buy him yourself, but still it's understandable why he'd be made DLC.

UberPyro64

Smash Ace
The thing with Roy is that he's a popular veteran character that many loved back in Melee and missed him after he was cut in Brawl. For those fans, they'll be really happy to have the opportunity to get the character again and play with him in the new game, even if he is a clone because they still like the character regardless.

Granted, that doesn't necessarily mean you have to buy him yourself, but still it's understandable why he'd be made DLC.
Plus they might change him up a bit. Maybe give him a new forward special (which they really should) and some new smash attacks. That is something I would like to see. Maybe cheat and give him one of the Mii Swordfighters moves. I'd be fine with that.

Also why are we talking about Roy in the K. Rool thread?

Last edited:

Banjodorf

Dynamic Duo
NNID
bluefalcon27
3DS FC
2105-8715-5493
"Why isn't this clone coming out before the other"

They're releasing DLC of popular characters who rate highly on polls because it'll tide people over until the ballot comes out, it'll empty out common votes from the ballot meaning we'll get more interesting results and because it's not that hard to port a character from Melee or Brawl compared to the money they'll get from it.

If you don't like Roy, don't buy him. Personally I think hating clones because they're clones is stupid; Dark Pit and Lucina are dumb because they're not different enough. Roy at least has inverse properties, Doc has the classic tornado.

Honestly, clearing out these veterans votes just means popular votes for newcomers have a better chance. Such as K. Rool, who was losing only to characters like veterans from previous games in most polls?
Maybe Rool was losing to vets in Japan, but he was pretty much close or at the top of all the western polls I've seen.

Even still, Roy is so easy to make it doesn't really matter. Make an extra Marth, change the animation on his neutral B back to the Melee swing, invert the sword properties and add teh ph1r3. Easy way to please a bunch of fans. Besides, I'll buy all the Smash DLC anyway.

It's a shame he probably won't be PM Roy though; PM Roy is magic.

Last edited:

SleuthMechanism

Smash Ace
NNID
SleuthMechanism
3DS FC
4184-2631-5815
Switch FC
SW-7949-7248-8280
I'll believe it as much as i beleived the rayman "leak". IE: not at all.

Steelia

Smash Champion
If this is the universe where K. Rool, Bowser, Ganondorf, Mewtwo, Roy, Dr. Mario, Rosalina and Mega Man are all playable in Smash Bros., then this is the universe I want to live in :estatic:

Now if only this was the universe were Ridley were also playable...

SleuthMechanism

Smash Ace
NNID
SleuthMechanism
3DS FC
4184-2631-5815
Switch FC
SW-7949-7248-8280
I also hope that IF roy does comeback he has a unqie moveset because the sword of seals alone has a decent ammount of unique gameplay possibilities(such as it's ability to actually shoot out fireballs as a projectile)

Banjodorf

Dynamic Duo
NNID
bluefalcon27
3DS FC
2105-8715-5493
I also hope that IF roy does comeback he has a unqie moveset because the sword of seals alone has a decent ammount of unique gameplay possibilities(such as it's ability to actually shoot out fireballs as a projectile)
That'd be nice. If there's at least a bit more differentiation from Marth and Lucina's moveset that'd be great (other than the Melee Neutral); but either way, I won't complain, he's easy to make and would in turn make a bunch of people (including some of my RL friends) VERY happy.

Raxxel

Hipster Heavyweight Champ
NNID
RaxxelAintHappy
3DS FC
2921-9637-8816
Roy barely takes up dev time. And with a team of people working on him, at most I expect a week.

cybersai

Smash Ace
Wait, guys at Retro Studios are following the, "K. Rool for Smash" campaign? Really? That sounds like big news, does anyone have a link?

The fact that we have an official Nintendo studio as well as the developer of the last two Donkey Kong games supporting K. Rool for Smash sounds like big news. I definitely think Sakurai also takes into account characters popular with Nintendo's development teams as a whole.

Kind of ironic too since Retro chose not to use K. Rool or the Kremlings in their games

JaidynReiman

Smash Hero
NNID
JaidynReiman
He was actually silhouetted out in the DKC and DKC2 manuals. I remember them both. And I don't think they mentioned him by name.
In DKC2 he's mentioned IN-GAME. You have to go into the very first room of Pirate Panic (first level of the game), similar to the ability to walk into the Banana Hoard and DK's hut in DKC1. Kaptain K. Rool is namedropped in a note you can find in there where he explains the plot of the story; he kidnapped DK and will only give him up in exchange for the banana hoard.

Interesting. Very interesting.
I don't think it means much personally. There's two explanations:

1.) Nintendo contacted Microsoft to secure the licensing to ensure it could be on VC unalterred.

2.) We were completely and totally 100% wrong, Nintendo didn't have to do anything with Microsoft, it wasn't released before due to technically difficulties getting it on Wii or they didn't think it was popular enough and didn't bother releasing it (more likely technically difficulties).

Frankly, I think its just #2. Nintendo published the game, they own all the publishing rights. Microsoft had to go through Nintendo to get Banjo-Kazooie on X-Box because Nintendo owned the publishing rights, but Nintendo did not have to do the same in this case.

Kirbyfan391

Smash Champion
In DKC2 he's mentioned IN-GAME. You have to go into the very first room of Pirate Panic (first level of the game), similar to the ability to walk into the Banana Hoard and DK's hut in DKC1. Kaptain K. Rool is namedropped in a note you can find in there where he explains the plot of the story; he kidnapped DK and will only give him up in exchange for the banana hoard.

I don't think it means much personally. There's two explanations:

1.) Nintendo contacted Microsoft to secure the licensing to ensure it could be on VC unalterred.

2.) We were completely and totally 100% wrong, Nintendo didn't have to do anything with Microsoft, it wasn't released before due to technically difficulties getting it on Wii or they didn't think it was popular enough and didn't bother releasing it (more likely technically difficulties).

Frankly, I think its just #2. Nintendo published the game, they own all the publishing rights. Microsoft had to go through Nintendo to get Banjo-Kazooie on X-Box because Nintendo owned the publishing rights, but Nintendo did not have to do the same in this case.
Does this explanation tie in with why DKC was originally removed from Wii VC or is that thought to be a separate issue? Because #1 fits both scenarios, that perhaps there were still some legal cracks left open when Nintendo released DKC originally and so had to take it down.

Last edited:

DJ3DS

Smash Lord
3DS FC
0602-6256-9118
So, just to make sure, who else believes this may be the case? Just curious.
Not sure if I believe Sakurai attending a FE concert is relevant to whether I believe the rumour or whether Roy will be revealed or not at E3.

I'm leaning towards believing the Royu leak overall though. Some good reasons, some worse:

1) It's corroborated by several seemingly independent sources.
2) It makes perfect sense as a business move by Nintendo.
3) I want to believe it. Ryu would be the bomb and is the DLC character I never realised I wanted so much. At the same time, whilst I don't personally care for and won't be buying Roy standalone, it takes him out of the picture as competition for K Rool in the ballot, and as a veteran he was always going to be stiff competition.

Banjodorf

Dynamic Duo
NNID
bluefalcon27
3DS FC
2105-8715-5493
Group of 3 people, including SomecallmeJohnny, they included a guest from the guys who did Sonic Shorts
Oh! That sounds familiar now. Well, always glad to have more big name support for the King!

FalKoopa

Rainbow Waifu
BRoomer
3DS FC
1650-3685-3998
Switch FC
SW-5545-7990-4793
Wait, guys at Retro Studios are following the, "K. Rool for Smash" campaign? Really? That sounds like big news, does anyone have a link?

The fact that we have an official Nintendo studio as well as the developer of the last two Donkey Kong games supporting K. Rool for Smash sounds like big news. I definitely think Sakurai also takes into account characters popular with Nintendo's development teams as a whole.

Kind of ironic too since Retro chose not to use K. Rool or the Kremlings in their games
They have followed Kremling Kampaign's twitter page, yeah., which is indeed very hopeful for a future K. Rool return.

I wonder if the next DKC game will be on a handheld instead. DKCR 3D was quite successful, I think?

:231:

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
Donkey Kong Land Returns?
Yes please!

But what I'd mostly would like is Retro doing their own Diddy Kong spin-off, possibly also starring Dixie Kong and classic Rare tag teams. And from this project on, they'll feature classic Kong tag teams in the main series as well.

I can hope right...?

Except for Kaptain K. Rool, of course.

But naturally, if they go with "K. Rool," they can reference all his personas at once. I definitely think they're going out of the way to reference K. Rool. Its especially notable how they namedrop K. Rool in DKC, when in DKC he was really this unknown the entire game. You knew there were Kremlings throughout the game, but you didn't know who their leader was until you ran into him at Gangplank Galleon. MAYBE he was in the manual, but who the hell reads the manuals?! :D
Agree, the plot is starting to thicken now, in a good way.

Was playing DKC2 on my SNES a few days ago, and thought that one of his custom specials for his potential crown throw move could be similar to the "Hook" Kremling enemies in DKC2. Where the said enemy throws the white hook and it comes back like a boomerang.

Top Bottom