• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

K. Rool's Kremling Kutthroats: PM BKupa666 for an Invite to the New K. Rool Thread

Bananija

Count of Trickery
Aside from being multi-platform Shovel Knight has extra content on the other consoles.
PS4 version has a Kratos boss battle.
Xbox One version has the Battletoads.
Wii U has no extra content as far as I'm aware.
Miiverse sharing:troll:

DJ3DS

Smash Lord
3DS FC
0602-6256-9118
If K.Rool gets no customs (which is unfortunately likely), it'll be a real waste of potential. But honestly, then again, even if he did get customs, they would likely still just be modifications of the original moves, as having them be unique would cost more time and money, and we all know how much Sora Ltd. scrambles their heads over the former of the two prices :p
It wouldn't necessarily be a waste of potential. In fact, to some extent I prefer the idea of not having customs if it means that they pack in the references more densely to the standard moveset rather than spreading them around. I've done this a few times but you can legitimately pack just about everything into a single moveset:

B - Blunderbuss Cannon
Side B - Crown Toss
Down B - Gas Clouds (Freezing would probably be easiest to do)
Up B - Copter

Side Smash - Vacuum+Cannon Explosion
Down Smash - Electricity
Up Smash - Cannonball Drop

Jab - DK64 Combo
F-Tilt - Boomerang Glove (Though I picture it more coming off and doing damage/knockback akin to one of MM's pellets)
D-Tilt - Whatever you want me to be
U-Tilt - DK64 Uppercut

The KoS spin, DK Land belly flop can both be implemented in aerials. The ground pound can either be an aerial or a down throw. The charge from DKC1 is an obvious dash attack. Invisibility from DKC2 can be used for dodges/rolls.

tl;dr: you don't need customs to do the king justice, and I think a moveset that does him justice would pack all the references in and require extraneous moves to be invented for customs.

Wintropy

Peace and love and all that jazzmatazz~! <3
NNID
Winterwhite
3DS FC
1461-6253-6301
Every day I wake up and think to myself, "Why have I not played Shovel Knight?"

I should really play Shovel Knight.

JaidynReiman

Smash Hero
NNID
JaidynReiman
DK64 is strangely addicting, I keep going back to it.
I've already 100% completed the first three worlds... I went into Gloomy Galleon and quit (I don't use restore points, but I do like going right back to where I left off), but now that I've quit I just want to go right back in again... damnit...

Though there was someone in here a while back complaining that DK64 was just hitting switches. I disagree with that notion. Yeah, there are a lot of switches, but there's a lot more to it than just hitting switches.

CJ Falcon

Smash Lord
You know, you're actually supposed to aim for 101%. You have to get the 201st golden banana to truly find everything.

Last edited:

Zombie Saurian

Smash Journeyman
So for the last two weeks I've been compiling what I've seen in various K. Rool movesets and combining the best traits while adding a few of my own and expanding on others. Here's what I've got so far.

Attachments

Wario Bros.

Smash Obsessed
NNID
WarioBrose
3DS FC
0903-2806-9000
Switch FC
SW-8539-3655-2004
I'm up at Gloomy Galleon too and already 100%ed the previous 3 worlds. That world is already taking a lot of time compared to the previous.

Fun Fact: By using glitches, it's possible to get the maximum possible percentage for DK64 to 132% (but the game screen will display it as -124%) with 280 Golden Bananas.

Something I've never done or plan to but interesting to know

CJ Falcon

Smash Lord
DK64 has some great music. Every song in the game is amazingly catchy. It's a shame the only song from that game that's in Smash Bros. is the DK Rap remix.

Last edited:

cybersai

Smash Ace
Fun fact: Once Jungler Climber is added to the DS virtual console, ALL of King K. Rool's appearances in Donkey Kong games will be up:

- DKC trilogy is up
- DKL trilogy is on the 3DS VC
- DK64 is up
- DK: King of Swing is up

Jungle Climber for DS was the only one left. King K. Rool's boss fight in Jungle Climber was epic too.

Korporal K. Reep

Smash Apprentice
A user over on DKVine posted something pretty cool that I couldn't believe I've never noticed; in DKC2, Mario, Yoshi, Link, Sonic, and Earthworm Jim all tried to rescue DK from K. Rool before Diddy and Dixie, and all of them failed. Mario came close, but was presumably defeated by K. Rool, who held the last Hero Coin.

Not only is it cool that Diddy and Dixie were able to do what many iconic videogame heroes couldn't, but this also means K. Rool bested those said heroes.

MandoBardanJusik

Smash Ace
A user over on DKVine posted something pretty cool that I couldn't believe I've never noticed; in DKC2, Mario, Yoshi, Link, Sonic, and Earthworm Jim all tried to rescue DK from K. Rool before Diddy and Dixie, and all of them failed. Mario came close, but was presumably defeated by K. Rool, who held the last Hero Coin.

Not only is it cool that Diddy and Dixie were able to do what many iconic videogame heroes couldn't, but this also means K. Rool bested those said heroes.
So that's why Jim disappeared off the face of the earth, K.Rool ate him :p

SleuthMechanism

Smash Ace
NNID
SleuthMechanism
3DS FC
4184-2631-5815
Switch FC
SW-7949-7248-8280
It wouldn't necessarily be a waste of potential. In fact, to some extent I prefer the idea of not having customs if it means that they pack in the references more densely to the standard moveset rather than spreading them around. I've done this a few times but you can legitimately pack just about everything into a single moveset:

B - Blunderbuss Cannon
Side B - Crown Toss
Down B - Gas Clouds (Freezing would probably be easiest to do)
Up B - Copter

Side Smash - Vacuum+Cannon Explosion
Down Smash - Electricity
Up Smash - Cannonball Drop

Jab - DK64 Combo
F-Tilt - Boomerang Glove (Though I picture it more coming off and doing damage/knockback akin to one of MM's pellets)
D-Tilt - Whatever you want me to be
U-Tilt - DK64 Uppercut

The KoS spin, DK Land belly flop can both be implemented in aerials. The ground pound can either be an aerial or a down throw. The charge from DKC1 is an obvious dash attack. Invisibility from DKC2 can be used for dodges/rolls.

tl;dr: you don't need customs to do the king justice, and I think a moveset that does him justice would pack all the references in and require extraneous moves to be invented for customs.
agreed. customs are kool but IMO they are a nice extra layer to the game but aren't necessary if you give the character a well balanced standard set. Some characters even in a customs meta barely use custom moves and do just fine.(such as metaknight who's only customs that aren't generally inferior versions of his normals are the drills and entangling tornado for example.) Those going on about mewtwo's lack of customs eing the big problem are deluded IMO since even custom specials wouldn't fix his most glaring problems in smash 4.

Warlock*G

Banned via Warnings
3DS FC
0146-9477-0226
Hello. My name is Warlock*G. Some of you may know me as "the guy who's been on these forums for too long". Others may know me as "who the hell is that guy?"

Anywyay, that fat ****ing croc has to be the only potential DLC character I'm interested in apart from Shantae. Please add me to the support list.

Strider_Bond00J

Smash Champion
Switch FC
SW-2525-8699-9095
Hello. My name is Warlock*G. Some of you may know me as "the guy who's been on these forums for too long". Others may know me as "who the hell is that guy?"

Anywyay, that fat ****ing croc has to be the only potential DLC character I'm interested in apart from Shantae. Please add me to the support list.
YAARR!!! Welcome aboard the Gangplank Galleon, fellow Kutthroat!

dangeraaron10

Smash Master
Screw Dark Souls, man. Some of this minigames in this ****ing game are bad for your sanity. Particularly the one where you are forced to play Tiny Kong and slide down the ramp with that stupid beetle, which I wish I could force off the edge.

TallT

Smash Apprentice
Screw Dark Souls, man. Some of this minigames in this ****ing game are bad for your sanity. Particularly the one where you are forced to play Tiny Kong and slide down the ramp with that stupid beetle, which I wish I could force off the edge.
This video may help you if you're stuck. I watched it and beat the beetle on my first try.

Last edited:

JaidynReiman

Smash Hero
NNID
JaidynReiman
You know, you're actually supposed to aim for 101%. You have to get the 201st golden banana to truly find everything.
I know the max is 101%. I was simply noting that I got everything in the first three worlds. Right now I also did it for Gloomy Galleon and am working on Fungi Forest.

cybersai

Smash Ace
Do you find it ironic that King K. Rool stopped appearing in the main series after Rare left, (as seen in Jungle Beat, and Returns and Tropical Freeze), yet continued to appear in spinoffs?

I wonder why Paon chose to bring back K. Rool and the Kremlings for King of Swing and Jungle Climber when he was left out of the main games at the time.

SuperiorYoshi87

Smash Lord
NNID
AVENGERxTHOR
Do you find it ironic that King K. Rool stopped appearing in the main series after Rare left, (as seen in Jungle Beat, and Returns and Tropical Freeze), yet continued to appear in spinoffs?

I wonder why Paon chose to bring back K. Rool and the Kremlings for King of Swing and Jungle Climber when he was left out of the main games at the time.
Well those games came before Returns and TF. I honestly think those games are part of the reason K. Rool and the Kremlings disappeared till now. They didn't sell all that well and Barrel Blast bombed so I think Nintendo thought the series was stagnant and that's why the Kremlings have been omitted from so much.

JaidynReiman

Smash Hero
NNID
JaidynReiman

I don't really count "Jungle Beat" as part of the "main series." If you count that, I'd also argue that King of Swing and Jungle Climber are part of the "main series," which both featured Rool as the main antagonist.

Of course, you should keep in mind--all of the spinoffs were between DK64 and Returns. Its not a matter of K. Rool being dropped from the "main series." All characters were dropped from THE SERIES except for three, then they brought back two more in TF. Of course, since they were brought back, I doubt count them as being dropped from the series. They were simply absent for specific games.

Top Bottom