• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

K. Rool's Kremling Kutthroats: PM BKupa666 for an Invite to the New K. Rool Thread

Raxxel

Hipster Heavyweight Champ
NNID
RaxxelAintHappy
3DS FC
2921-9637-8816

Just wanted to share this miiverse drawing I made! BTW, @ BKupa666 BKupa666 when will you update again? Need to have My K. Rooltena drawing I made and this one added to the miiverse drawings!

T-Hell

Smash Lord
You can look at it from that arbitrary standpoint, if you want to make yourself angry, but that is literally if you just want to continue to feel badly.

1- Dr Mario was likely added to appeal to fans.
WHAT? HOW CAN THAT BE?
Well, Sakurai was bombarded with requests to make this new game more like Melee. We have seen many attempts all over to appeal to fans of both Brawl and Melee, to both Casuals and Hardcore gamers. Bringing back Roy (Lucina) and Dr Mario, two popular characters, was a big step in this direction. He already stated that he was going to do this without making them separate characters- yet ended up needing to make them separate if he wanted them to play differently. Melee fans needed Lucina/Roy to play differently, and needed Doc to have stronger attacks and the Mario Tornado. Without these attributes, the cosmetic change meant nothing. It was about competitive battle. Dark Pit is likely just a new one because 3 is a round number aesthetically.

2- It ultimately does not matter if He himself considers it the best character game. Pats on the shoulder if he does. Critics and the consumer must deem it so. Luckily, he has a great source (many actually, in polls and forums) to figure out what consumers want in the game. He cannot claim to not know what the people want. It is apparent our biggest wants are Ridley, Mewtwo, K Rool. If he wants it to be a good character game, he has to, in part at least, appeal to us. He cannot reason around that logic.
I wasn't angry or felt badly in any way, I don't know where you got that from xD I just stated my opinion about a situation that could perfectly be the case.
But I agree with you anyway.

BowserK.Rool

Smash Champion
Just thought I'd mention that donkey kong jr. math just got added to the virtual console on the e shop, not sure if it means anything upcoming but thought I'd just say anyway.

Raxxel

Hipster Heavyweight Champ
NNID
RaxxelAintHappy
3DS FC
2921-9637-8816
Just thought I'd mention that donkey kong jr. math just got added to the virtual console on the e shop, not sure if it means anything upcoming but thought I'd just say anyway.
Bet that's gonna sell like hotcakes XD

MasterWarlord

Smash Champion
Not wasting countless hours on a 10 man community
2- It ultimately does not matter if He himself considers it the best character game. Pats on the shoulder if he does. Critics and the consumer must deem it so. Luckily, he has a great source (many actually, in polls and forums) to figure out what consumers want in the game. He cannot claim to not know what the people want. It is apparent our biggest wants are Ridley, Mewtwo, K Rool. If he wants it to be a good character game, he has to, in part at least, appeal to us. He cannot reason around that logic.
in part at least
In part, yes. The list of characters that has Mewtwo and Ridley is certainly doing that, in part. Little Mac, Palutena, and Mega Man were also apparently on the list of most requested characters based on that earlier post in this thread. K. Rool even has a stand in with Dixie Kong so DK isn't entirely dismissed. Characters like Dark Pit and Mii who are outright despised by fans certainly prove that Sakurai does not entirely adhere to fan demand. 5 for 6 certainly qualifies as "in part". Even if that list of characters is incorrect, Mewtwo basically has to be in, as it'd become outright memetic if Sakurai brought back a single character from Melee that wasn't him with Dr. Mario.

If K. Rool fails to get in but Ridley and Mewtwo do, there is less of a case to build for the mainstream of the roster being "bad" as we will be "whining" about a single character. The passive politically correct opinion that the Kremlings are uninspired Battletoads enemies and K. Rool is a generic crocodile man with a crown will become the norm again. It's a narrative that started after Rare was bought out, and as reactions from Metroid fans to Tropical Freeze can tell you, it's very much so still around. If K. Rool doesn't get in this game, the mainstream narrative will dismiss it by saying that he was a terrible character and didn't deserve it to start with. He just simply isn't as "cool" as Ridley or Mewtwo.

Perhaps he would be better received if he lost some weight and killed Cranky and Wrinkly?

BKupa666

Barnacled Boss
If K. Rool fails to get in but Ridley and Mewtwo do, there is less of a case to build for the mainstream of the roster being "bad" as we will be "whining" about a single character.
It's because of this that I love that the Ice Climbers were cut. The fanbase would never dare to criticize any newcomer inclusion or exclusion on a large scale (even with Dark Pit, apologists far outnumber his critics), but the loss of a reasonably popular, competitively-dominant veteran? They really have to confront their own cognitive dissonance of disliking a roster choice yet refraining from criticizing Sakurai at all costs*. It's icing on the cake that it was a retro cut, since a lot of the sycophants are the users who foam at the mouth over all retro characters and bash popular non-retro characters.

* although I've already seen "no one really liked them anyway" and "it's okay that they were cut them because balancing them would be tough" as two stand-out justifications.

Last edited:

Xzsmmc

Smash Champion
It's because of this that I love that the Ice Climbers were cut. The fanbase would never dare to criticize any newcomer inclusion or exclusion on a large scale (even with Dark Pit, apologists far outnumber his critics), but the loss of a reasonably popular, competitively-dominant veteran? They really have to confront their own cognitive dissonance of disliking a roster choice yet refraining from criticizing Sakurai at all costs. . .although I've already seen "no one really liked them anyway" and "it's okay that they were cut them because balancing them would be tough" as two stand-out justifications.
I direct you to my avatar, for my exact expression upon reading this.

I don't understand why criticizing any character decision Sakurai makes is so taboo. Other mascot fighters are criticized all the time. Hell, with Marvel vs. Capcom 3, there was a ton of backlash against Niitsuma for the lack of Mega Man, Venom, and Gambit. Then with Playstation Allstars, there were complaints about the lack of Crash and Spyro, as well as the new Dante, and two versions of Cole. So why is Smash Bros. the sacred cow?

BKupa666

Barnacled Boss

I don't understand why criticizing any character decision Sakurai makes is so taboo. Other mascot fighters are criticized all the time. Hell, with Marvel vs. Capcom 3, there was a ton of backlash against Niitsuma for the lack of Mega Man, Venom, and Gambit. Then with Playstation Allstars, there were complaints about the lack of Crash and Spyro, as well as the new Dante, and two versions of Cole. So why is Smash Bros. the sacred cow?
Niitsuma doesn't *laugh,* Tweet cat pictures, or have the gaming media pounding it into readers' heads that he's a "hard-working genius."

In case this is coming off as too blatantly anti-Sakurai, I respect his work ethic, but think the series would benefit from him being moved to more of a worker bee role while someone new took the reins. I think his positive contributions (clever modes, emphasis on music) aren't exclusive to him, but his negative contributions (wedge-driving between casual and competitive gamers, and between popular and unique characters) probably are.

Last edited:

Pazzo.

「Livin' On A Prayer」
I'd much rather K. Rool over Dixie Kong. After all, the DKC series is about more than just apes.

SmilingMad

Smash Lord
I'd much rather K. Rool over Dixie Kong. After all, the DKC series is about more than just apes.
It's also about tiki things and vikings!
Sorry. But yeah, I have to agree here, Donkey and Diddy already represent the Kongs. The Krems need some representation too, dangit!

Zombie Saurian

Smash Journeyman
If Dixie gets in over K.Rool, I want a public excuse as to why Dixie got priority to motherf**king King K.Rool. I'm not joking.

King_K_Rules

Smash Journeyman
Anyone else think K.Lumsy could make a good AT? He can prance around the stage and unintentionally knock people back. (Kinda like Marill I suppose)

Xzsmmc

Smash Champion
Niitsuma doesn't *laugh,* Tweet cat pictures, or have the gaming media pounding it into readers' heads that he's a "hard-working genius."

In case this is coming off as too blatantly anti-Sakurai, I respect his work ethic, but think the series would benefit from him being moved to more of a worker bee role while someone new took the reins. I think his positive contributions (clever modes, emphasis on music) aren't exclusive to him, but his negative contributions (wedge-driving between casual and competitive gamers, and between popular and unique characters) probably are.
I feel the same way. I think Sakurai has some good ideas, and don't doubt he's a hard worker, but some of his more questionable decisions are...well, questionable.

BowserK.Rool

Smash Champion
I always liked scales better than furry anyway, more cool looking and underrated(everyone and their cute furry mammals -_-)

Sigran101

Smash Master
NNID
Sigran101
I don't know how high hope is here, but unless I'm wrong, I'm guessing it's pretty low. I'm not really a K. Rool supporter, but I would tell you all not to give up on him. It was confirmed that the Impa and Mach Rider part of the leak was fake, (and everything not backed up with solid evidence like the videos/pictures should be taken with a grain of salt to begin with) so it shouldn't effect K Rools chances. Especially considering Kid Icarus and Fire emblem are getting 2 newcomers, it's very possible we'll get both dixie and k rool. I still see him as a very likely addition. Sorry if I've said anything that's already been said, just wanted to give my two cents.

BerryBomber

Smash Journeyman
NNID
BerryBomber
If anyone from K. Rool's army gets an AT, I want it to be Kackle

When he appears, he does his signature cackle and then becomes transparent (by about 75%). All enemy fighters of the summoner get a time above their character, starting with 10 seconds. Kackle will "haunt" the players for 30 seconds before disappearing. Coming in contact with his ghost wont cause any damage, but he will start to hover behind the fighter with the lowest time. When a fighter's timer reaches 00, Kackle will become visible again and strike the fighter, causing 40% damage and rocket knockback. To prevent this, Barrels will start appearing around the stage, some with +'s, some with -'s. Enemy fighters simply need to touch them to get the effect, but you cannot trigger them yourself.

+ Barrels will add 5 seconds to a fighter's timer
- Barrels will take 3 seconds away from a fighter's timer

Barrels appear rapidly within reach of the ground and platforms in the battlefield, and new barrels spawn soon after one is collected, no matter the effect. A map like Final Destination will have about 3 + Barrels and 1 - Barrel present at any given time, while larger stages like Temple would have 6 + Barrels and 2 - Barrels present. When Kackle's time is up, the Barrels will disappear as well.

JaidynReiman

Smash Hero
NNID
JaidynReiman
I don't know how high hope is here, but unless I'm wrong, I'm guessing it's pretty low. I'm not really a K. Rool supporter, but I would tell you all not to give up on him. It was confirmed that the Impa and Mach Rider part of the leak was fake, (and everything not backed up with solid evidence like the videos/pictures should be taken with a grain of salt to begin with) so it shouldn't effect K Rools chances. Especially considering Kid Icarus and Fire emblem are getting 2 newcomers, it's very possible we'll get both dixie and k rool. I still see him as a very likely addition. Sorry if I've said anything that's already been said, just wanted to give my two cents.
As far as I'm concerned, we SHOULD and in an ideal world we WOULD get both Dixie and K. Rool. Now, at this point in time, I'm honestly only expecting K. Rool (yes, expecting). I actually think the odds look better for K. Rool than Dixie at this point, but I love both characters and I want both.

SmilingMad

Smash Lord
If anyone from K. Rool's army gets an AT, I want it to be Kackle

When he appears, he does his signature cackle and then becomes transparent (by about 75%). All enemy fighters of the summoner get a time above their character, starting with 10 seconds. Kackle will "haunt" the players for 30 seconds before disappearing. Coming in contact with his ghost wont cause any damage, but he will start to hover behind the fighter with the lowest time. When a fighter's timer reaches 00, Kackle will become visible again and strike the fighter, causing 40% damage and rocket knockback. To prevent this, Barrels will start appearing around the stage, some with +'s, some with -'s. Enemy fighters simply need to touch them to get the effect, but you cannot trigger them yourself.

+ Barrels will add 5 seconds to a fighter's timer
- Barrels will take 3 seconds away from a fighter's timer

Barrels appear rapidly within reach of the ground and platforms in the battlefield, and new barrels spawn soon after one is collected, no matter the effect. A map like Final Destination will have about 3 + Barrels and 1 - Barrel present at any given time, while larger stages like Temple would have 6 + Barrels and 2 - Barrels present. When Kackle's time is up, the Barrels will disappear as well.
I personally think that that would be a very distracting and annoying AT, to the point of being intrusive, especially in 1v1. The timer could obscure with Shulk's Monado Art Switcheroo Technique thing, too. It's also very complicated, there must be a way to simplify it.

BerryBomber

Smash Journeyman
NNID
BerryBomber
I personally think that that would be a very distracting and annoying AT, to the point of being intrusive, especially in 1v1. The timer could obscure with Shulk's Monado Art Switcheroo Technique thing, too. It's also very complicated, there must be a way to simplify it.
Yeah it is pretty extreme. Only other concept idea I had was a timer that appears at the top of the screen that loops though 3 cycles of 10 seconds, no barrels, and Kackle randomly attacking a fighter every time it hits zero (or the fighter in the lead besides the summoner). This way its less intrusive, and you can time your dodges to avoid his strike. Of course compared to the barrel concept his attacks would probably be much less extreme, maybe 15% damage and mild knockback.

DraginHikari

Emerald Star Legacy
NNID
Draginhikari
3DS FC
4940-5455-2427
Switch FC
SW-7120-1891-0342

It doesn't seem that taboo to me since I do see people do it pretty regularly around here, it's not like people are forbidden from having a negative opinion about a situation. People are welcome to disagree with the negative opinion at the same time, seems pretty fair across the board to me.

El Chunko

Smash Cadet

Miiverse pic I drew that got a surprisingly large amount of likes. Long live the King (on the right)!

SuperiorYoshi87

Smash Lord
NNID
AVENGERxTHOR
Personally i don't see why getting 2 DK newcomers is being thrown out the window so quickly. Clearly that CSS was incomplete, people ASSUME there will be a Zelda newcomer because of the Trophy theory which has yet to prove true.

People ASSUME were getting a Rythm Heaven rep due to Gematsu yet that leaked Stage select has no Rythm Heaven stage (granted it could be unlockable) however Chrom wasn't playable so there's that.

I don't see it being impossible with a supposed 5 slots left on that screen to be Dixie, K.Rool, Ridley, Mewtwo, RH/Zelda rep

The only reason people are saying Mach Rider was because Sakurais rules apparently require him to put in a retro rep *cough* Duck Hunt Dog*couch* thing is of you check out that Chronobound thread I linked a few pages back you'll see that the most wanted characters in Japan were

TOP REQUESTED
Roy (Lucina)
Megaman IN
Mewtwo ?
K.Rool ?
Palutena IN
Shulk IN

SECOND TIER
Dixie ?
Chrom (no)

I said it before, seems like Sakurai is purposely going for these highly requested characters and K.Rools want in Japan and the US just screams he's playable to me, I could be wrong but hey we won't know till the game drops.

It's not out of the question to get Dixie along K.Rool with a theoretical 5 spots left even if it's 4 spots it's still possible. If there's only 3 spots left then I think 3 are going to the big 3. MasterlinkX knows the full roster apparently he himself said that the leaked photo wasnt the full roster, he knows who's in it. Let me just tell you that I had a discussion with him on the leaks thread and sort of poked at one of his comments to me because he said

"if Dixie or Marshall or whoever the hell is in this game" to which my reply was "I thought you knew the whole roster?"

He claimed he used them as example since they are mentioned in guessed rosters

IF he does know the whole roster BUT dosent want to divulge any info even by accident why mention these 2 characters in the back of mind I thought maybe they aren't in that's why. So it's safe for him to name drop them without divulging info. Something to think about. Oh and don't bother trying to talk to MasterlinkX he won't talk about the roster.

BKupa666

Barnacled Boss
Two throwaway thoughts:

1. If, by some miracle, K. Rool is unlockable, maybe Gangplank Galleon is the new 3DS DK stage, and that's why we don't have any yet. Optimistic, sure, but still possible. It could open the door for the Galleon being on both platforms, or there being a Wii U Returns stage (or both, but like that would actually happen).

2. If K. Rool does end up being "Large Kremling" in Smash Run, anyone who claims us fans were "in denial" for thinking it was anyone else is deluded. Expecting one of the muscular Kremlings like Krusha or Klubba when a rep recalls "Kremling" but not "K. Rool" is akin to us hypothetically expecting Candy Kong if a rep mentioned a "trophy of a Kong wearing pink," and failed to say "Dixie" despite recalling "Kong."

Last edited:

JaidynReiman

Smash Hero
NNID
JaidynReiman
Two throwaway thoughts:

1. If, by some miracle, K. Rool is unlockable, maybe Gangplank Galleon is the new 3DS DK stage, and that's why we don't have any yet. Optimistic, sure, but still possible. It could open the door for the Galleon being on both platforms, or there being a Wii U Returns stage (or both, but like that would actually happen).

2. If K. Rool does end up being "Large Kremling" in Smash Run, anyone who claims us fans were "in denial" for thinking it was anyone else is deluded. Expecting one of the muscular Kremlings like Krusha or Klubba when a rep recalls "Kremling" but not "K. Rool" is akin to us hypothetically expecting Candy Kong if a rep mentioned a "trophy of a Kong wearing pink," and failed to say "Dixie" despite recalling "Kong."
1.) I highly doubt Gangplank Galleon will be the new 3DS stage, but it could very well be a stage on the Wii U. In fact, I'm actually expecting Gangplank Galleon at this point. I'm expecting the new 3DS stage to be a factory stage, or perhaps The Flying Kroc. Factory stage is more likely.

2.) Its not K. Rool. If K. Rool is a boss, he'll be a stage boss, not a Smash Run boss. Smash Run bosses aren't major bosses, let alone main antagonists.

JaidynReiman

Smash Hero
NNID
JaidynReiman
Probably not, since in Mario Super Sluggers, they have bad chemistry. I can totally see them not getting along.
Probably because they both want to conquer, so naturally they wouldn't like each other. :D

NNID
TheSir24
3DS FC
2191-8079-5484
It'd be a temporary alliance, until they've vanquished their common enemies. Then, they'd battle for the right to own whatever they were trying to get in the first place.

A battle of the titans. Will we be able to recreate it on Smash Bros? We'll see.

CJ Falcon

Smash Lord
Gonna say it again, but I'm pretty sure that whole Smash Run boss thing was bunk to begin with. Not the "large kremling" part, but the fact that there are Smash Run bosses in the first place.
I totally agree. I can't believe people actually think Smash Run bosses is actually a thing. If there were bosses in Smash Run, surely we would have seen at least one by now considering how Smash Run has been shoved in our faces so much.

Last edited:

JaidynReiman

Smash Hero
NNID
JaidynReiman
Gonna say it again, but I'm pretty sure that whole Smash Run boss thing was bunk to begin with. Not the "large kremling" part, but the fact that there are Smash Run bosses in the first place.
Actually, there are. We KNOW there are Smash Run bosses, but they're just upscaled regular enemies or minibosses. And technically they're not exactly "bosses" persay, they basically are minibosses that occasionally appear as special events. They can be counted somewhat as minibosses, though, as they have some pretty expansive movesets are take a lot longer to kill, although they're not full-scale bosses like SSE. At the same time, they are more of bosses than the Yellow Devil is.

I totally agree. I can't believe people actually think Smash Run bosses is actually a thing. If there were bosses in Smash Run, surely we would have seen at least one by now considering how Smash Run has been shoved down our throats so much.
We have seen them, though, in footage from E3. They're actually more of bosses than the Yellow Devil, although its hard to call them full-on bosses.

CJ Falcon

Smash Lord
Actually, there are. We KNOW there are Smash Run bosses, but they're just upscaled regular enemies or minibosses. And technically they're not exactly "bosses" persay, they basically are minibosses that occasionally appear as special events. They can be counted somewhat as minibosses, though, as they have some pretty expansive movesets are take a lot longer to kill, although they're not full-scale bosses like SSE. At the same time, they are more of bosses than the Yellow Devil is.

We have seen them, though, in footage from E3. They're actually more of bosses than the Yellow Devil, although its hard to call them full-on bosses.
Just because an enemy is bigger and tougher to kill doesn't mean it could be called a boss.

Pieman0920

Smash Master
I've seen large enemies and things like swarms shown off in screenshots, but has there actually been any type of Smash Run original boss at all? I'm talking about that GameXplain Nintendo rep thing where they mentioned Kraid (and Dynablade?) was in there, despite that source of the claim being dubious.

JaidynReiman

Smash Hero
NNID
JaidynReiman
I've seen large enemies and things like swarms shown off in screenshots, but has there actually been any type of Smash Run original boss at all? I'm talking about that GameXplain Nintendo rep thing where they mentioned Kraid (and Dynablade?) was in there, despite that source of the claim being dubious.
They said Kraid and a large Kremling. As far as Kraid goes, I can easily see a Mini/Fake Kraid as a Smash Run boss. Kraid is huge; those mini Kraid's are still fairly big as well, though.

Original boss? Not sure what you mean by that, but these event bosses can sometimes appear twice, but it usually doesn't happen. Which honestly debunks any notion of any specific character appearing that way. It'd be uncharacteristic for King K. Rool to appear as a random large boss that can appear multiple times. K. Rool isn't that big, either.

BravadoMan_13

Smash Lord
NNID
ClassicRocker
How many of these Smash Run bosses do we know of? I know we've seen Bonkers in E3 footage and we know of the large Kremling boss. Were there any others?

Top Bottom