• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

K. Rool's Kremling Kutthroats: PM BKupa666 for an Invite to the New K. Rool Thread

-crump-

Smash Champion
3DS FC
1590-4951-5915
Switch FC
SW-4366-1207-0908
new video! I made this for every person that supports k rool for smash DLC and since the beginning. Share this video with everyone and start the movement! We will get king k rool in smash once and for all!

...Not gonna lie, I was expecting "One of Us" or "Finest Hour" to burst out about halfway through the video, though. :chuckle:
Good video, nonetheless. I could tell a lot was put into it, and the message is clear: We're not finished yet.

I admit, for a while there, I gave up. As many of you know, I was done, and I said so several times. But ya know what? I'm not quitting so easily. Come what may, but if this ship goes down, I'm coming with it. :seuss:

Last edited:

POKEMANSPIKA

Smash Master
NNID
POKEMANSPIKA
new video! I made this for every person that supports k rool for smash DLC and since the beginning. Share this video with everyone and start the movement! We will get king k rool in smash once and for all!

Pssh, this video is clearly sexist as it only says brothers and doesn't say sisters. Pssh, 0/10 would not recommend.
Jokes!

Btw the song sounds like something from a dramatic action trailer lol. Also you spelled comeback and Kremlings wrong. Its a pretty good video though.

Last edited:

Tortilla Noggin

Smash Obsessed
I admit, for a while there, I gave up. As many of you know, I was done, and I said so several times. But ya know what? I'm not quitting so easily. Come what may, but if this ship goes down, I'm coming with it. :seuss:
Glad to hear it! :grin:

... Now back to the galley with you, ye scurvy salamander! :laugh:

TheGalaxyKnight

Smash Journeyman
NNID
IRNStudios
um... whats with all the rage? when I said we should band together I didn't mean like that. Also K. Rool's day isn't until tomorrow.
I didn't rage because of banning together, I raged because you are focusing on chances whereas sakurai is the king of bias and probably won't care who us popular unless it fits his vision!

DJ3DS

Smash Lord
3DS FC
0602-6256-9118
By the way guys, my sample post if any of you want to use it. If it could be got in nice and early that would be great; timezone differences means the rage will be in full swing by the time I get there.

King K. Rool

Chance:

Before I begin, I want to make my position clear. I personally believe King K. Rool is easily the most probable newcomer for DLC, and a strong contender for most probable character period. Wolf is the only character I would argue being potentially more popular, and it is my goal to try convince you this is the case, or at least that he is not as down and out as you may think. With this all said, I think it's prudent to really begin with the most obvious thing.

As everyone is no doubt aware, the most recent update brought with it a (very nicely made, if I do say so) Mii costume of King K. Rool, which has caused a pretty colossal stir. A good number of people think this is damaging to his chances, as they believe it is intended as a "commiseration gift" for his fans based on the ballot. I disagree. Here's why:

1) DLC was almost certainly planned in advance. This is something I'm pretty sure nobody will argue. Between the surprise reveal of Roy and Lucas and the consistent stream of DLC we've had, it is pretty much impossible to argue that a plan for DLC in this game has been around for a long while. The question is whether this costume was planned or not. To which I ask: why wouldn't it be, other than the fact you might like it to be a disconfirmation? There is plenty of good reason to believe that this is the case, as K. Rool was demonstrably popular pre-release, at or around the top of the annual polls. It's easy to think his ballot popularity is the reason for this but he was noticeably popular long before the ballot happened.

2) He is the only character to receive this treatment. This is a fairly big one for me. If you believe Sakurai is handing out apology costumes for ballot losers, why is King K Rool the only noteworthy ballot contender to have received one? Mii Hoodie and Honey Bear Brawler certainly aren't topping the ballot, Chrom is already in the game as a Final Smash, and Black Knight and Lloyd Irving weren't realistically near the top of anyone's "most likely" lists.

Note that I haven't included Inkling in the above. That costume was released so close to Splatoon that it was almost certainly marketing purposes, and I don't believe they are deconfirmed either.

3) The timing. At the time this costume was released, there were still 2 months to go until the ballot ended. Why would Sakurai be handing out deconfirmations at that time?

4) Purported disconfirmation of the entire argument. Several members of the K Rool thread have claimed to have rang Nintendo independently to ask if the costume was a deconfirmation. Their responses were uniformly "no, it isn't" or "I don't know".

Obviously, this requires somewhat more trust than the other reasons, which is why I placed it last.

Now that I've had a look at why I don't believe the costume is a deconfirmation, let's ask what impact it does have:

1) Potential loss of popularity. One reasonably common argument is that people may have jumped ship since this announcement. Anecdotally I don't think this is the case as I've actually observed the opposite, but I largely have one thing to say - that is, if you believe this costume is based on ballot popularity then those votes have already been counted making this a non-issue.

2) It is controversial. This is a statement, not an argument. Miiverse (particularly the DK parts) are overloaded with K Rool propaganda, and the Twitters for both Nintendo and Sakurai himself are flooded with stuff regarding K Rool. Moreover, a lot of K Rool supporters have gone and resubmitted their votes to re-affirm their desire for K Rool as a playable fighter (And to thank Sakurai for the costume as well; hopefully it has remained civil). This has almost undoubtedly brought K Rool into the spotlight and Nintendo will have difficulty ignoring it.

3) King K. Rool is relevant again. I wanted to say this. A common thread amongst detractors is his irrelevancy, but this costume is Nintendo using King K Rool in his classic design as well. You cannot say he's been forgotten now; especially in the same breath trying to use this costume to argue he's deconfirmed!

Finally, I want to remark that there is no evidence that Mii Costume = Disconfirmation. There are multiple characters already in the game who have costumes or helmets in addition to them, and there is absolutely nothing documented by Sakurai on the matter. Remember post release when people were thinking trophies in the game equated to disconfirmations for Mewtwo, Lucas, Roy? Yeah, same here.

On this vein, it is very tempting to try compare King K Rool to Ridley, in that they are both highly popular requested characters seemingly disconfirmed. I want to put this argument to bed. Ridley was teased as having an active role in the game as a boss pre-development where we did not have a platform to properly request him. K Rool has received a passive role and we can still vote and actively influence the ballot. The two situations are completely different. And I'm not even going to address the particular breed of troll who now claims K Rool is too big.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Enough about the costume. It's time to look at what else King K Rool has going for him:

1) Popularity. King K Rool is the most requested newcomer bar none, and his popularity is global, being massive in the west and being the most popular newcomer in Japan, a market many believe crucial. It is extremely rare to see him outside of the top 3 in any poll, and he very regularly makes the top spot. This is a big deal; the most requested characters in the pre-Melee (Bowser), pre-Brawl (Sonic) and pre-4 (Megaman) have always gotten in. It's a common theme to say Sakurai ignores requests and does his own thing but it's not true. He's been very good in general about fan requests as evidenced by the characters we've gotten in.

2) Moveset Potential. King K Rool has a demonstrably absurd amount of movepool potential, as a little while spent watching his various boss battles will tell you. It is easy to make good, functional movesets based around his boss battles individually (excluding DKC3) or as a combination of them, a plethora of other techniques from various more minor appearances and spin-offs, as well as the various moves you can design from scratch. It is worth noting that K Rool's habit of adopting different personas each game makes him one of the characters most amenable to constructing entirely new moves for, as it's largely within character. There are two main gripes people have with this:

2.1) He'd just be a Bowser clone. Well... He could be. He could also be a Dedede clone. Or a ROB clone. Or a Little Mac clone. The list goes on; the K Rool thread made him cloned movesets of every character in the game's specials. Being able to pick one specific move that bears resemblances to one other specific move of one of the 50 plus characters in this game is not an argument. However there is no reason to believe Sakurai would do this anyway, after he so faithfully recreated Diddy Kong from Donkey Kong 64.

2.2) He might not tick Sakurai's uniqueness boxes. This isn't really something I can argue, because it's absolute speculation. If we apply this to a character with as much to work with as Sakurai we may as well just subtract a flat percentage off of every character. It's a vapid, meaningless argument and not worth the sentences I've spent refuting it.

3) Surge in relevancy. The Mii costume is already one thing, but a lot has gone on for K Rool that you might not immediately know. He's recently been trademarked again (not registered), as well as every single one of his boss battles being rereleased on the Virtual Console. He is as relevant now as he has been at any point during the past 7 years since Super Sluggers.

To me, all these various reasons do not paint a picture of despair for this character. He is looking extremely good and any other newcomer would kill for a list of credentials this long. I firmly believe he is the most likely newcomer, period. Wolf is obviously a character with as much or more going from him, but who cares? We know from PushDustIn's translations that we will get at least 2 more characters, and I am certain there will be a newcomer. It would be absolutely awful business sense to just release veterans in the ballot from a PR perspective. And if there is a newcomer, it is more likely than not in my mind to be King K Rool.

Chance - 75%

Want - 100%

It was never going to be anything else after the amount of time I spent typing this up.

Sirfishe

Smash Ace
Pssh, this video is clearly sexist as it only says brothers and doesn't say sisters. Pssh, 0/10 would not recommend.
Jokes!

Btw the song sounds like something from a dramatic action trailer lol. Also you spelled comeback and Kremlings wrong. Its a pretty good video though.
just found that out lol I really gotta try not working so fast lol

Smashoperatingbuddy123

Smash Legend
By the way guys, my sample post if any of you want to use it. If it could be got in nice and early that would be great; timezone differences means the rage will be in full swing by the time I get there.

King K. Rool

Chance:

Before I begin, I want to make my position clear. I personally believe King K. Rool is easily the most probable newcomer for DLC, and a strong contender for most probable character period. Wolf is the only character I would argue being potentially more popular, and it is my goal to try convince you this is the case, or at least that he is not as down and out as you may think. With this all said, I think it's prudent to really begin with the most obvious thing.

As everyone is no doubt aware, the most recent update brought with it a (very nicely made, if I do say so) Mii costume of King K. Rool, which has caused a pretty colossal stir. A good number of people think this is damaging to his chances, as they believe it is intended as a "commiseration gift" for his fans based on the ballot. I disagree. Here's why:

1) DLC was almost certainly planned in advance. This is something I'm pretty sure nobody will argue. Between the surprise reveal of Roy and Lucas and the consistent stream of DLC we've had, it is pretty much impossible to argue that a plan for DLC in this game has been around for a long while. The question is whether this costume was planned or not. To which I ask: why wouldn't it be, other than the fact you might like it to be a disconfirmation? There is plenty of good reason to believe that this is the case, as K. Rool was demonstrably popular pre-release, at or around the top of the annual polls. It's easy to think his ballot popularity is the reason for this but he was noticeably popular long before the ballot happened.

2) He is the only character to receive this treatment. This is a fairly big one for me. If you believe Sakurai is handing out apology costumes for ballot losers, why is King K Rool the only noteworthy ballot contender to have received one? Mii Hoodie and Honey Bear Brawler certainly aren't topping the ballot, Chrom is already in the game as a Final Smash, and Black Knight and Lloyd Irving weren't realistically near the top of anyone's "most likely" lists.

Note that I haven't included Inkling in the above. That costume was released so close to Splatoon that it was almost certainly marketing purposes, and I don't believe they are deconfirmed either.

3) The timing. At the time this costume was released, there were still 2 months to go until the ballot ended. Why would Sakurai be handing out deconfirmations at that time?

4) Purported disconfirmation of the entire argument. Several members of the K Rool thread have claimed to have rang Nintendo independently to ask if the costume was a deconfirmation. Their responses were uniformly "no, it isn't" or "I don't know".

Obviously, this requires somewhat more trust than the other reasons, which is why I placed it last.

Now that I've had a look at why I don't believe the costume is a deconfirmation, let's ask what impact it does have:

1) Potential loss of popularity. One reasonably common argument is that people may have jumped ship since this announcement. Anecdotally I don't think this is the case as I've actually observed the opposite, but I largely have one thing to say - that is, if you believe this costume is based on ballot popularity then those votes have already been counted making this a non-issue.

2) It is controversial. This is a statement, not an argument. Miiverse (particularly the DK parts) are overloaded with K Rool propaganda, and the Twitters for both Nintendo and Sakurai himself are flooded with stuff regarding K Rool. Moreover, a lot of K Rool supporters have gone and resubmitted their votes to re-affirm their desire for K Rool as a playable fighter (And to thank Sakurai for the costume as well; hopefully it has remained civil). This has almost undoubtedly brought K Rool into the spotlight and Nintendo will have difficulty ignoring it.

3) King K. Rool is relevant again. I wanted to say this. A common thread amongst detractors is his irrelevancy, but this costume is Nintendo using King K Rool in his classic design as well. You cannot say he's been forgotten now; especially in the same breath trying to use this costume to argue he's deconfirmed!

Finally, I want to remark that there is no evidence that Mii Costume = Disconfirmation. There are multiple characters already in the game who have costumes or helmets in addition to them, and there is absolutely nothing documented by Sakurai on the matter. Remember post release when people were thinking trophies in the game equated to disconfirmations for Mewtwo, Lucas, Roy? Yeah, same here.

On this vein, it is very tempting to try compare King K Rool to Ridley, in that they are both highly popular requested characters seemingly disconfirmed. I want to put this argument to bed. Ridley was teased as having an active role in the game as a boss pre-development where we did not have a platform to properly request him. K Rool has received a passive role and we can still vote and actively influence the ballot. The two situations are completely different. And I'm not even going to address the particular breed of troll who now claims K Rool is too big.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Enough about the costume. It's time to look at what else King K Rool has going for him:

1) Popularity. King K Rool is the most requested newcomer bar none, and his popularity is global, being massive in the west and being the most popular newcomer in Japan, a market many believe crucial. It is extremely rare to see him outside of the top 3 in any poll, and he very regularly makes the top spot. This is a big deal; the most requested characters in the pre-Melee (Bowser), pre-Brawl (Sonic) and pre-4 (Megaman) have always gotten in. It's a common theme to say Sakurai ignores requests and does his own thing but it's not true. He's been very good in general about fan requests as evidenced by the characters we've gotten in.

2) Moveset Potential. King K Rool has a demonstrably absurd amount of movepool potential, as a little while spent watching his various boss battles will tell you. It is easy to make good, functional movesets based around his boss battles individually (excluding DKC3) or as a combination of them, a plethora of other techniques from various more minor appearances and spin-offs, as well as the various moves you can design from scratch. It is worth noting that K Rool's habit of adopting different personas each game makes him one of the characters most amenable to constructing entirely new moves for, as it's largely within character. There are two main gripes people have with this:

2.1) He'd just be a Bowser clone. Well... He could be. He could also be a Dedede clone. Or a ROB clone. Or a Little Mac clone. The list goes on; the K Rool thread made him cloned movesets of every character in the game's specials. Being able to pick one specific move that bears resemblances to one other specific move of one of the 50 plus characters in this game is not an argument. However there is no reason to believe Sakurai would do this anyway, after he so faithfully recreated Diddy Kong from Donkey Kong 64.

2.2) He might not tick Sakurai's uniqueness boxes. This isn't really something I can argue, because it's absolute speculation. If we apply this to a character with as much to work with as Sakurai we may as well just subtract a flat percentage off of every character. It's a vapid, meaningless argument and not worth the sentences I've spent refuting it.

3) Surge in relevancy. The Mii costume is already one thing, but a lot has gone on for K Rool that you might not immediately know. He's recently been trademarked again (not registered), as well as every single one of his boss battles being rereleased on the Virtual Console. He is as relevant now as he has been at any point during the past 7 years since Super Sluggers.

To me, all these various reasons do not paint a picture of despair for this character. He is looking extremely good and any other newcomer would kill for a list of credentials this long. I firmly believe he is the most likely newcomer, period. Wolf is obviously a character with as much or more going from him, but who cares? We know from PushDustIn's translations that we will get at least 2 more characters, and I am certain there will be a newcomer. It would be absolutely awful business sense to just release veterans in the ballot from a PR perspective. And if there is a newcomer, it is more likely than not in my mind to be King K Rool.

Chance - 75%

Want - 100%

It was never going to be anything else after the amount of time I spent typing this up.

Thats what im talking about!

Your someone who knows 1000% that king k rool is not done.

Tortilla Noggin

Smash Obsessed

King K. Rool

Chance:

Chance - 75%

Want - 100%

I've got to say, this is the best argument I've ever seen written up for the addition of any character, in any game. Very nice work.

Also, I'm chuckling all over again thinking back on the various King K. Lone movesets. That was one of the best things to ever happen in this thread, I reckon. :laugh:

TallT

Smash Apprentice

King K. Rool

Chance:

Chance - 75%

Want - 100%

This is amazing. I've been working on a write up as well but yours makes mine look like garbage. You managed to address every important point and counter any arguments that people may present. You even thought of some evidence I didn't even think to mention. I need to edit my write up now.

D

Deleted member

Well this got a spam infraction, I know not to post my opinion anymore, thanks.
It's most likely because it has literally nothing to do with K. Rool, and you're posting in the K. Rool thread.

Pakky

Smash Hero
It's most likely because it has literally nothing to do with K. Rool, and you're posting in the K. Rool thread.
However there have been other tangents that have nothing to do with K rool that have gone on in this thread and did those people get infractions? No. People have even come in here and spoke about other characters if I'm not mistaken and nothing was done. However cherry picking is cherry picking, I shouldn't be surprised, I'm done.

Last edited:

Pakky

Smash Hero
Goddamn it, the victim card again.
You're on your own here.
It's not the victim card I'm just pointing out hypocrisy. Like how the one girl with Greninja tag swears in every post and isn't reprimanded but like I said cherry picking. Anyway back to King K

Last edited:

Tortilla Noggin

Smash Obsessed
Didn't you said that first?:crazy:
I swear...I saw it.
You edited it afterward right?
That was in another post by someone else entirely.

Anyway, for want of discussing something more K. Rool-related: I was lucky enough to find a copy of DK: Jungle Climber sitting in a game shop the other day. I'd much rather play a game designed for a handheld on a handheld, so I picked it up.

I have to ask, am I the only one who can't stand Xananab? If we put aside reasons of plot, for the love of all that is holy, why on Earth didn't K. Rool destroy him on the spot, like any sane person would? :laugh:

Bananija

Count of Trickery
That was in another post by someone else entirely.

Anyway, for want of discussing something more K. Rool-related: I was lucky enough to find a copy of DK: Jungle Climber sitting in a game shop the other day. I'd much rather play a game designed for a handheld on a handheld, so I picked it up.

I have to ask, am I the only one who can't stand Xananab? If we put aside reasons of plot, for the love of all that is holy, why on Earth didn't K. Rool destroy him on the spot, like any sane person would? :laugh:
like any sane person would?
Those two doesn't fit together, here's why.:)

Last edited:

Wintropy

Peace and love and all that jazzmatazz~! <3
NNID
Winterwhite
3DS FC
1461-6253-6301
Going off-topic isn't a good idea in a character discussion thread and is considered spam. This thread pertains to discussion of K. Rool in Smash 4, or at least conversation tangibly related to the DK series. Everything else would be better off elsewhere. It's harsh, yeah, but the mods are well within their rights to rein in off-topic conversation, especially in a thread that moves at this kinda pace.

I'm curious as to others' input on this matter: if K. Rool was the atypical zoner / trap-heavy character we reckon he'd be, which characters would be his best and worst matchups?

I like the concept that @ DJ3DS DJ3DS (I think? Correct me if I'm wrong here) offered, to wit, that K. Rool is an "anti-meta" character who would beat fast rushdown characters, yet be outmatched by strong heavies. If his playstyle focuses on keeping out fast characters and making it difficult to approach, I think he could shut down fighters like Captain Falcon, who are very fast and strong but have no ranged or reflect options and would suffer extreme difficulty in the matchup if they can't even catch up to K. Rool. If K. Rool had "tough guy armour" like Bowser to a certain threshold, he could even be a counter to Sheik: good luck with your needles and combos there, friend ninja!

By the same token, a character that can just blitz through K. Rool's wall of tricks and traps would be in their element - if the character can approach with ease and has a variety of reactive options to circumvent the obstacle course in their way, well, K. Rool would be in a world of trouble! I think a character like Dedede or Robin, who can zone right back and catch up to projectiles, would be a difficult matchup for K. Rool. It'd definitely make the metagame more dynamic and intense, that's for sure~

Tortilla Noggin

Smash Obsessed
I think a character like Dedede or Robin, who can zone right back and catch up to projectiles, would be a difficult matchup for K. Rool. It'd definitely make the metagame more dynamic and intense, that's for sure~
This just makes me want to play Gordo Tennis with K. Rool all the more, now. :laugh:

Somehow, I imagine some of the match-ups that aren't too favourable for Dedede might be an issue for K. Rool as well, at least as far as reflecting projectiles and that sort of thing goes. I don't think those things are insurmountable, anyway, though.

Pakky

Smash Hero
Shoo, you're "done", remember :p?

Seriously, yes, it has. It has been discussed as a grab, I believe, and iirc maybe a special.
I was done talking about my situation, please don't make jokes at the expense of others. And okay, but I think it would be better suited as a special.

Wintropy

Peace and love and all that jazzmatazz~! <3
NNID
Winterwhite
3DS FC
1461-6253-6301
I was done talking about my situation, please don't make jokes at the expense of others. And okay, but I think it would be better suited as a special.
It could work as a special, but when there's so much content to draw from for just four moves, it could just as easily work as a grab.

It'd work exactly the way it does in-game, too: he sucks the opponent up and then whacks them with the butt of the gun or shoots them away!

Bananija

Count of Trickery
As a special, I see it as a command grab kind of special : can grab people when sucked in, absorb projectiles to shoot them later (like villager).

Tortilla Noggin

Smash Obsessed
absorb projectiles to shoot them later (like villager).
Depending on how quick it is to use repeatedly, or if it can be used continuously for a short time, that might add an interesting element to the match-up against Arrow arrow arrow boomerang bomb arrow arrow Link...

Last edited:

Pakky

Smash Hero
Using Bowser Jr as an example, I've thought about and maybe neutral B being a vacuum method and instead of a shooting method would be satisfactory.

Top Bottom