• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

K. Rool's Kremling Kutthroats: PM BKupa666 for an Invite to the New K. Rool Thread

BKupa666

Barnacled Boss
Yeah. Sakurai may not represent K. Rool well even if he does get in. He could end up a Donkey Kong clone for all we know.
:4dk: Don K. Kong :4dk:

Neutral-b - Krusha Punch

K. Rool winds up a huge punch that knocks foes out cold.

Side-b - Krown Krash

K. Rool slams his head down, impaling the opponent with his deadly krown.

Up-b - Spinning Kroc

K. Rool spreads his arms out and spins upwards through the air.

Down-b - Royal Tantrum

K. Rool stamps his feet, releasing a series of shockwaves.
Also, it was said in DK64 that Snide the Weasel was working on the Blast-o-Matic alongside the King before getting backstabbed out of paranoia. That has to entail a reasonably high-ranking position, right?

Last edited:

JaidynReiman

Smash Hero
NNID
JaidynReiman
...that would be ridicolous and it would mean he and his team put tons of effort just to make him DK clone. The ultimate slap in the face and very obvious one to those who knows at least basic stuff about animations.
Even Sakurai isn't stupid enough to do that. As I stated above, either K. Rool is totally original (likely more original than anything we've come up with), or he's not playable at all.

Wintropy

Peace and love and all that jazzmatazz~! <3
NNID
Winterwhite
3DS FC
1461-6253-6301
This dissection of the costume was posted in the Dixie thread, but I feel as though it warrants posting in here in the thread with more traffic so it can get responses (just keep them civil, of course).
Few issues with that critique:

- Inklings, as you say, were massively advertised due to pre-Splatoon hype; the fact that the main character(s) appeared as DLC costumes is hardly a surprise. Nintendo clearly wanted to promote the game in every way possible - it would be outright foolish to pass up on a quick shout-out in their all-star money machine.

- The Inkling scenario is totally different context entirely. Inklings are from a totally new game that, at the time, hadn't even been released: ballot votes had absolutely zilch to do with the decision to make a costume. In much the same way, K. Rool has been requested for years, consistently placing in the upper ranks of popularity polls since at least Melee - why would Nintendo decide, out of the blue, to create a costume of a character this oft-demanded by fans and reveal it two months before the end of the ballot itself? More likely, if you want to cite the Inkling incident as a comparable context, is that Nintendo decided to cash in on K. Rool's popularity by releasing a costume totally incidental to the ballot. I don't think Inklings are out of the picture with the ballot in consideration, definitely no more or less than K. Rool is.

- "People should consider K. Rool out of the running". Right, like Ridley fans, Inkling fans, Chom fans, even Goku fans? People are going to vote for whomever they want to vote for. Denying fans the chance to vote for their favourite character undermines the very essence of the ballot itself. There is no objective reason to verify that K. Rool is out of the running. Why should this individual care if the K. Rool fanbase is ostensibly "setting itself up for disappointment"? We're used to disappointment. The costume just further demonstrates the fact that, right now, we have nothing to lose and everything to gain. We aren't gonna cut our losses and jump ship before the ballot even comes to a close. Thanks for the concern, but we can take care of ourselves. We could have considered him "out of the running" when he wasn't revealed in the base roster, or when it seemed a likely scenario that Mewtwo would be the only DLC character released - we sure as hell aren't gonna stop now.

- If we don't feel satisfied with the product, we have a right to petition Nintendo to address our concerns. Whether it makes any difference is beside the point: the real crux of the matter is that we, the consumer, have a voice, and a means to make it heard. We can and will exercise that right. The costume is very cool and well appreciated, but we have a request that we wish to make heard, and make it heard we will.

LIQUID12A

Smash Modder
NNID
LIQUID12A
3DS FC
0877-1606-0815
Funny that the thread had a royal tantrum right after the costume reveal, owing to that moveset Bkupa just re-quoted.

BaganSmashBros

Smash Hero
Even Sakurai isn't stupid enough to do that. As I stated above, either K. Rool is totally original (likely more original than anything we've come up with), or he's not playable at all.
You can't be stupid in this case. You have to be determined to make him a DK clone even though bodies do not match at all and neither do the characters' movesets in the source. But yeah, he is either original or not here at all.
Wintropy said:
:4dk:Don K. Kong:4dk:

Neutral-b - Krusha Punch

K. Rool winds up a huge punch that knocks foes out cold.

Side-b - Krown Krash

K. Rool slams his head down, impaling the opponent with his deadly krown.

Up-b - Spinning Kroc

K. Rool spreads his arms out and spins upwards through the air.

Down-b - Royal Tantrum

K. Rool stamps his feet, releasing a series of shockwaves.
...er...just...what is that?

Dark Phazon

Smash Hero
...that would be ridicolous and it would mean he and his team put tons of effort just to make him DK clone. The ultimate slap in the face and very obvious one to those who knows at least basic stuff about animations.
How could that even happen/work?
There is no way K.Rool could even feasibly be a DK clone.

I dont think K.Rool could feasibly be a clone of anyone not even Bowser.

Bedoop

Poyon
NNID
$50.00 / $??.??
3DS FC
0877-1726-4217
So I wanted to get all the DLC for me and my Sister on Smash U (Being Roy, Lucas, Ryu, and the 64 Stages, we already had Mewtwo and had no real interest in Kostumes) for my Birthday and I was asked to get the total amount of cash-dollars
I totalled it up to 26 dollars
But then I noticed I did tax as if I was buying it all in a bundle, not buying it seperately
So I re-did my math and summed it up to about 37 Dollars ($36.90 to be exact)

And once we do that I can start saving up my allowance (I'm at $4.75 right now, working towards Ryu, I own Roy, Lucas and Dream Land 64) for the rest of the DLC on my 3DS

All is good in the hood :4pacman:

TheTreasonousSnowmad

Smash Journeyman
Yeah. I guess the waiting is just making me a bit paranoid. But the moveset could potentially be of poor taste. I doubt that Sakurai knows that much about K. Rool, aside from probably the super iconic krown-throw.

JaidynReiman

Smash Hero
NNID
JaidynReiman
Yeah. I guess the waiting is just making me a bit paranoid. But the moveset could potentially be of poor taste. I doubt that Sakurai knows that much about K. Rool, aside from probably the super iconic krown-throw.
He did perfectly fine with Diddy Kong.

The closest K. Rool could possibly be to anyone is Dedede, and even that's a stretch since he doesn't wield a hammer. The blunderbuss can do the sucking animation, but naturally doesn't have a swinging aspect to it.

BaganSmashBros

Smash Hero

He can be Bowser clone. Proportions match (one of the main things a character should have to be a clone, which means guys like Ridley and Ganon are out of question) and Bowser is no longer hunched over. There is a Brawl mod of that and it doesn't looks like Ganonchu kind of abomination:

Moveset also doesn't needs to be changed too much. The question is SHOULD he be a clone, not CAN he be a clone. And answer is obvious.

Last edited:

Dark Phazon

Smash Hero
So I wanted to get all the DLC for me and my Sister on Smash U (Being Roy, Lucas, Ryu, and the 64 Stages, we already had Mewtwo and had no real interest in Kostumes) for my Birthday and I was asked to get the total amount of cash-dollars
I totalled it up to 26 dollars
But then I noticed I did tax as if I was buying it all in a bundle, not buying it seperately
So I re-did my math and summed it up to about 37 Dollars ($36.90 to be exact)

And once we do that I can start saving up my allowance (I'm at $4.75 right now, working towards Ryu, I own Roy, Lucas and Dream Land 64) for the rest of the DLC on my 3DS

All is good in the hood :4pacman:
I only buy Stages and characters...i was contemplating should i buy Lucas and Ryu...even though i knew i would never play as them..i bought them anyway.

Hyrule castle is the best the omega version is probly the best omega stage imo. It looks so great.

I do think though if we get more stages they are definitely gonna be brawl stages

@ TheTreasonousSnowmad TheTreasonousSnowmad its gonna be a very long wait..

Last edited:

InASnowBoundLand

Smash Lord
@ Parallel_Falchion Parallel_Falchion correctly points out that the Heihachi and Chrom costumes appear to be based on characters that were planned for Smash Bros Wii U/3DS at one point in time. However, it is strange to me that they use this point to argue against K. Rool's possibility as DLC. After all, there is a distinction of time here: Heihachi and Chrom were considered as characters for the original Smash Bros WiiU/3DS roster.

If Parallel_Falchion is suggesting that ...
1) Heihachi and Chrom were selected as Mii fighters based on their previous consideration as full newcomers on the original roster,
2) and K. Rool's Mii suggests he was similarly decided against...

...the connection to his conclusion of K. Rool's chances as Smash DLC is currently tenuous as best. While it could be true that Parallel_Falchion is right and K. Rool was ALSO rejected like Chrom and Heihachi (which remains unclear), this does not have much if anything to do with the Smash Bros Ballot. If Chrom and Heihachi were somehow believed to be polling high, then K. Rool fans should be more concerned. That would suggest Sakurai's Mii costume decisions were based on ballot performance. This does not appear to be the case. The only other character with a Mii costume that has also polled high is Inkling. Even then, the marketing push for that new series is a more believable source for those costumes than ballot support.

K. Rool's popularity is not new; he was among the most requested characters for the original roster (butting heads with Palutena and Little Mac). If we are to buy the connection Parallel_Falchion is suggesting between K. Rool, Chrom, and Heihachi, K. Rool's pre-Smash4 popularity could reasonably serve to explain his appearance as a Mii costume, too. Regardless, Chrom and Heihachi are poor cases to use as evidence that K. Rool "is out of the running for DLC. If anything, they suggest K. Rool remains a possibility as far as the ballot itself.

DJ3DS

Smash Lord
3DS FC
0602-6256-9118
As I posted on the thread, the Mii costume mainly means something if you can prove it actually has anything to do with the ballot - and that's not something I've seen compelling evidence for.

There's an argument you haven't really rebutted.

That is; why should a costume released before the end of the ballot impact upon K Rool's chances to get in through the ballot?

You posted this:

"And look at some other costumes that have been released recently: among others, we have Heihachi and Chrom. Characters confirmed to have been considered for the roster, but ultimately decided against. Chrom's costume was even revealed at the exact same time as K. Rool's."

Honestly, I'm inclined to agree with you. But both of these other characters were considered pre-release. K Rool could well have been considered pre-release as well and they decided to add him as a costume a while before the ballot. It does make sense after all, what with him being missing in action for 6 or 7 years. But the ballot is happening now. The goalposts have changed. There is every possibility that K Rool's costume is independent of the ballot; in which case it shouldn't ruin his chances of getting in.

This costume only really kills his chances if you assume it has anything to do with the ballot, which isn't really something either of us can prove or disprove at this point.

Either way, as a K Rool supporter, if he doesn't make it in, hopefully Dixie does. DK overall needs some love, and both of them should be in by the next game either way. If K Rool doesn't make it through the ballot, then the amount of noise raised about him should bring him back to the DK series as a whole - and that in itself would be a victory.
He did perfectly fine with Diddy Kong.

The closest K. Rool could possibly be to anyone is Dedede, and even that's a stretch since he doesn't wield a hammer. The blunderbuss can do the sucking animation, but naturally doesn't have a swinging aspect to it.
I still rate King K R.O.B. higher. :p

SuperiorYoshi87

Smash Lord
NNID
AVENGERxTHOR
This dissection of the costume was posted in the Dixie thread, but I feel as though it warrants posting in here in the thread with more traffic so it can get responses (just keep them civil, of course).

The idea I want to talk about is the idea that people are "changing" how they looked at costumes with Inklings vs. K. Rool. I'm sure some did, but I think what others took away was that, with Inklings, this was a character the "relevance" crowd was expecting to get thrown into Smash by default as a promotion. The costume confirmed that this wasn't the case, and that they had to rely on the ballot like everyone else. (and some are arguing that "they wouldn't make an Inkling trophy if they planned adding them as fighters," which isn't necessarily true, but yeah)

Also, the last bit...they could've easily made the Paon model look good as a costume. I think the K. Rool head they used on the costume wasn't necessarily chopped 100% off of the (potential) real thing, but could have been just modified from its assets. Same way the Yoshi head Kirby wears isn't the exact playable Yoshi model, but a modification that can fit on a small, circular head shape.
Thing is....

Today I thought a lot about all the costumes available in the game because at work I get bored and that's what happens :p

Every Nintendo character costume in the game has pre existing assets that they most likely took to make the Mii outfit. Every Nintendo character.

Even the Megaman Mii costumes have corresponding trophies they could use as assets. The only characters who don't are the Namco costumes, but let's not forget who co produced the game. Surely it's easier for them to make costumes of their characters as they have access to various assets to use.

There's a perfectly good K. Rool trophy right there they could have used to make a Mii costume with, why didn't they do that.....especially if the intent was to settle the masses with a costume. Dosnt make sense....

JaidynReiman

Smash Hero
NNID
JaidynReiman
Thing is....

Today I thought a lot about all the costumes available in the game because at work I get bored and that's what happens :p

Every Nintendo character costume in the game has pre existing assets that they most likely took to make the Mii outfit. Every Nintendo character.

Even the Megaman Mii costumes have corresponding trophies they could use as assets. The only characters who don't are the Namco costumes, but let's not forget who co produced the game. Surely it's easier for them to make costumes of their characters as they have access to various assets to use.

There's a perfectly good K. Rool trophy right there they could have used to make a Mii costume with, why didn't they do that.....especially if the intent was to settle the masses with a costume. Dosnt make sense....
Does the Black Knight? I'm not quite sure about this one, since he hasn't appeared since Radiant Dawn, and I think this model is updated from his Radiant Dawn model. Does he have a trophy in Smash? I didn't think he did. That would be the only other exception compared to K. Rool, of course.

False Sense

Ad Astra Per Aspera
NNID
FalseSense
3DS FC
3368-2599-3209
Does the Black Knight? I'm not quite sure about this one, since he hasn't appeared since Radiant Dawn, and I think this model is updated from his Radiant Dawn model. Does he have a trophy in Smash? I didn't think he did. That would be the only other exception compared to K. Rool, of course.
There is. It's only unlocked through an All-Star Challenge with Ike, so it's easy to miss.

Schnee117

Too Majestic for Gender
Switch FC
6660-1506-8804
His trophy in SSB4 is locked behind a challenge involving Ike.
:4greninja:'d

Last edited:

SuperiorYoshi87

Smash Lord
NNID
AVENGERxTHOR
He does you have to beat all star mode on hard with Ike

Ninjad lol

Last edited:

BKupa666

Barnacled Boss
The costume's release in the middle of the ballot's voting does make it seem, superficially, like it was taken from the ballot results, but that's just one out of several possibilities. It may have been planned much earlier and just been released now by happenstance (why, if they wrote off Chrom and Heihachi for the main game, did they wait so long to make them costumes, for example?).

Parallel_Falchion

Smash Lord
Replying to this over here since it has nothing to do with Dixie at this point. I wasn't expecting to be re-posted over here, and I don't want to post any more than this.

There's an argument you haven't really rebutted.

That is; why should a costume released before the end of the ballot impact upon K Rool's chances to get in through the ballot?

You posted this:

"And look at some other costumes that have been released recently: among others, we have Heihachi and Chrom. Characters confirmed to have been considered for the roster, but ultimately decided against. Chrom's costume was even revealed at the exact same time as K. Rool's."

Honestly, I'm inclined to agree with you. But both of these other characters were considered pre-release. K Rool could well have been considered pre-release as well and they decided to add him as a costume a while before the ballot. It does make sense after all, what with him being missing in action for 6 or 7 years. But the ballot is happening now. The goalposts have changed. There is every possibility that K Rool's costume is independent of the ballot; in which case it shouldn't ruin his chances of getting in.

This costume only really kills his chances if you assume it has anything to do with the ballot, which isn't really something either of us can prove or disprove at this point.

Either way, as a K Rool supporter, if he doesn't make it in, hopefully Dixie does. DK overall needs some love, and both of them should be in by the next game either way. If K Rool doesn't make it through the ballot, then the amount of noise raised about him should bring him back to the DK series as a whole - and that in itself would be a victory.
While I will admit that this is the least straw-grasping argument I've seen, it's still kind of just feels like a last resort. Mii costumes shouldn't take long to make, so I think it's more reasonable to believe that they were made for the recent update so that it wasn't just a couple stages and tournament mode. Yes, the ballot still has time left to go, but look at the reverse: it's already been going for months. They have a lot of submissions and they should already be working on the 1st batch of ballot choices. If K. Rool was even still in the running for a potential 2nd batch, why would they make a costume for him now?

The only hope is that the costume was not made now, but was planned for a long time and somehow didn't make it until now. Not only do I find it hard to believe on its own, Sakurai himself said that updates from here on out (after the Lucas/Roy/Ryu update) would be "fanservice," meaning they're taking feedback directly from fans, and that's when we go back to my 4th paragraph in my previous post.

Remember, I said it's not 100%. It certainly isn't as dire as Ridley's situation was last year. But it's still a very bad sign and there's little hope to be found here. You can be optimistic, but be cautiously optimistic. I see a lot of people around that talk as though this means nothing, or even that it's a good thing for his odds of making it in, and that they are still expecting him to be in, and I'm willing to bet that these people are just delaying (and possibly magnifying) their disappointment.

You can agree, you can disagree. I wanted to make my point (and it seems I was successful in conveying it), and I have. If you disagree with me, all I ask is that you try to look at what I say objectively and realize where I'm coming from.

InASnowBoundLand

Smash Lord
@ Parallel_Falchion Parallel_Falchion was concerned that fans were treating K. Rool as a special snowflake. But at this point, I think they are doing this themselves. Other than Inkling (where the marketing explanation seems far more plausible to me), K. Rool appears to be the only ballot-popular character to have shown up. If Sakurai was using Miis to include popularly voted characters that were rejected as full newcomers, there would be more of a coherent pattern in Mii choices. After all, most characters "competing" in the ballot won't get in. But there does not seem to be anyone other than Inkling and K. Rool. Parallel_falchion's own evidence and argument suggests the importance of the pre-ballot phase rather than the ballot itself.

At this point in time, Parallel_falchion's conclusion are a possibility, but they are premature.

DJ3DS

Smash Lord
3DS FC
0602-6256-9118
Replying to this over here since it has nothing to do with Dixie at this point. I wasn't expecting to be re-posted over here, and I don't want to post any more than this.

While I will admit that this is the least straw-grasping argument I've seen, it's still kind of just feels like a last resort. Mii costumes shouldn't take long to make, so I think it's more reasonable to believe that they were made for the recent update so that it wasn't just a couple stages and tournament mode. Yes, the ballot still has time left to go, but look at the reverse: it's already been going for months. They have a lot of submissions and they should already be working on the 1st batch of ballot choices. If K. Rool was even still in the running for a potential 2nd batch, why would they make a costume for him now?

The only hope is that the costume was not made now, but was planned for a long time and somehow didn't make it until now. Not only do I find it hard to believe on its own, Sakurai himself said that updates from here on out (after the Lucas/Roy/Ryu update) would be "fanservice," meaning they're taking feedback directly from fans, and that's when we go back to my 4th paragraph in my previous post.

Remember, I said it's not 100%. It certainly isn't as dire as Ridley's situation was last year. But it's still a very bad sign and there's little hope to be found here. You can be optimistic, but be cautiously optimistic. I see a lot of people around that talk as though this means nothing, or even that it's a good thing for his odds of making it in, and that they are still expecting him to be in, and I'm willing to bet that these people are just delaying (and possibly magnifying) their disappointment.

You can agree, you can disagree. I wanted to make my point (and it seems I was successful in conveying it), and I have. If you disagree with me, all I ask is that you try to look at what I say objectively and realize where I'm coming from.
I realise where you're coming from. I just think that we are viewing things from different timescales. I believe that the costume was preballot. Firstly because it makes logical sense to have DLC planned out well in advance, something which you yourself allude to when mentioning batches already in development, and secondly because it does not make sense to deconfirm a single character like this so long before the ballot ends.

Sakurai said the fanservice quote explicitly with regards to characters when discussing Roy and Ryu being in development before the ballot. Using it regarding K Rool's costume is quoting it out of context. I mean, the Hoodie costume and the Honey Bear costume aren't fanservice and yet come in the same bundle.

We clearly both agree that if the costume is dependent on the ballot, it's a very bad sign. I wouldn't try argue that at all. But if it isn't dependent on the ballot there is plenty of room for hope and plenty of time for K Rool to still make an appearance.

The sticking point to me is whether it's preballot or not. There aren't sufficient reasons for me to believe it's not preballot so the support continues.

Last edited:

mynameisBlade

Smash Lord
I hope Famitsu gets some sort of King K. Rool news from Sakurai sooner or later. I want to know if this "costume" is all we are getting...

cothero

Smash Lord
I've been thinking on the release date of the ballot winner(s). Sakurai stated that his team will need some time to develop the character(s) and asked for patience. Considering the time they'll need, what's the perfect time to release/announce it?? Yes, E3 2016. The announcement will reinforce Nintendo's itinerary and keep Smash fresh longer.

Last edited:

JaidynReiman

Smash Hero
NNID
JaidynReiman
I've been thinking on the release date of the ballot winner(s). Sakurai stated that his team will need some time to develop the character(s) and asked for patience. Considering the time they'll need, what's the perfect time to release/announce it?? Yes, E3 2016. The announcement will reinforce Nintendo's itinerary and keep Smash fresh longer.
Lol, no. E3 2016 is WAY too far out. At best, at BEST we could get a final DLC character, probably a third-party, released and announced at E3. Otherwise, they'll more than likely stick with releasing characters every two months. Probably Wolf in October (unless they put a different character in to development as early as April when the ballot was announced), and they'll released one character every other month after that, slowly announcing them.

There is no way they'll wait until E3 2016.

StormC

Smash Hero
We just don't really know how long character development takes. Mewtwo took ~6 months from announcement to release, but they were already working on at least Lucas, Roy, and Ryu in that timeframe. It's pretty much impossible to ascertain.

NK1046

Smash Apprentice
E3 is way too long for a new character. Maybe October or December for a character; in time for holidays

cothero

Smash Lord
Lol, no. E3 2016 is WAY too far out. At best, at BEST we could get a final DLC character, probably a third-party, released and announced at E3. Otherwise, they'll more than likely stick with releasing characters every two months. Probably Wolf in October (unless they put a different character in to development as early as April when the ballot was announced), and they'll released one character every other month after that, slowly announcing them.

There is no way they'll wait until E3 2016.
If we're talking about more than one winner, the time is quite reasonable. Remember Mewtwo? Veteran characters like Wolf must not be so tricky to create, but a character from scratch takes some time.

Ura

Smash Legend
Switch FC
SW-2772-0149-6703
I'm pretty sure they're going to announce all the winners once the ballot ends on October 3rd. If not on that day then maybe there will be a direct the week after that announces all the winners and stuff.

StormC

Smash Hero
I'm pretty sure they're going to announce all the winners once the ballot ends on October 3rd. If not on that day then maybe there will be a direct the week after that announces all the winners and stuff.
I doubt it. That wouldn't generate anywhere near as much hype as actually showing the trailer, or even a model. It'd be showing their hand entirely.

"We have decided to develop Wolf, K. Rool, and Isaac from the ballot. See you at E3!" That's just bad marketing.

Oblivion129

Smash Lord
NNID
Oblivion129
3DS FC
1821-9773-2413
The Black Knight is also part of the background in the second transformation of Castle Siege. I think King K. Rool is the only Nintendo character with a Mii costume and no actual role (not counting being a trophy).

- Flying Man: Stage hazard
- Chrom: Robin's Final Smash
- Black Knight: Background in Castle Siege
- K.K. Slider: Background in Smashville
- Isabelle: Assist Trophy
- Majora's Mask: Skull Kid Assist Trophy
- Dunban: Shulk's Final Smash
- Samus: Playable character
- Link: Playable character
Inkling is the exception since Splatoon came after Smash 4.

NK1046

Smash Apprentice
If you're talking about some veteran already on development stage, probably. Remember that the ballot closes on october.
Well Ryu was a newcomer and it took them about 3-4 months to create him, that would fit in perfectly with a new character for October.

Top Bottom