• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

K. Rool's Kremling Kutthroats: PM BKupa666 for an Invite to the New K. Rool Thread

StormC

Smash Hero
I've always called him Kay Rool.

It's not as easy as people think

Having a lot of material to draw from doesn't mean it's easy to make a moveset, that's what people are getting confused. Firstly, his physiology is slightly awkward for a Smash game, not un-doable, but it'd be a hurdle. Secondly his moves have to synergise well, he has to have an identity as a fighter, with clear strengths and weaknesses. He needs to be balanced well, and I suppose at this stage of the game needs to offer something 'unique'

It's not as simple as just putting a bunch of canon moves together and giving him generic melee attacks to fill in the gaps. That's probably why Sakurai innovates moves for certain characters instead of always prioritising canon moves.
His playstyle is easy. Projectile-based heavyweight with an emphasis on traps and arena control. If Sakurai could do this with :snake:, there's no reason he can't with K. Rool.

Sakurai is no amateur. He's a professional, highly regarded game developer with decades of experience. If he doesn't want to, it's because he chooses not to.

Last edited:

KawaiiPiranha

Smash Journeyman
K rool might force me to drop Mewtwo as my main, who was my most wanted character. BKuppa666 and others have filled me with this weird sense of dedication towards the king. Right now I can't imagine anyone getting in before him.

On Ganon:
I always wanted him to an amalgamation of everything he ever was, similar to how Game& Watch is an amalgamation of the Game & Watch games
I've already said that if K.Rool got in, I'd drop all of my mains for him.
Sorry Bowser.

Dre89

Smash Hero
NNID
Dre4789
For how good the Gyro is as a projectile (particularly in lag) I am really surprised you don't see it more often in FG. I imagine a large part is the character it's attached to and K Rool would probably be a bit more popular.

I've said it before and ill say it again - Ridley was teased as an active role during game development that would preclude his appearance as a playable fighter. K Rool has a Kosplay that may not preclude him at all, at a point post development where we can still affect DLC. The two situations are very different to me because of that.

How is his physiology awkward? He's well suited for rescaling and really in quite a similar situation to Bowser.

Have you had a look at fan movesets? They've done all you suggest they need to - an emphasis on a trapping character is particularly prevalent, and the Melee moves most people add are hardly arbitrary either.
He's not in a similar situation to Bowser at all. Bowser is not 90% torso like K. Rool is. He's more similar to D3, but D3 alleviates most of his physiology issues with his ballon-mechanic and possibly his mallet too. I don't think K. Rool is un-doable but I definitely thought his physiology could be a potential issue.

Talking about fan-made movesets is pointless because they just use canon moves for canon's sake and we don't know how balanced they'd be in-game.

KawaiiPiranha

Smash Journeyman
I mentioned this yesterday, but I decided that we should actually do it because it's something to do- I just set up a K.Rool supporters tourney.

Name: K.ROOL TOURNEY
ID: 28995344928794
Password: kutthroat
Date: Starts in 15 minutes and lasts until the third
Stages: Battlefield, Mario Circuit, Mario Circuit (Brawl), Jungle Hijinx, Kongo Jungle (64)
Items: Smash Ball, Containers, Banana Peel, Trampoline, Hammer
Rules: 2 Stock (4 Minutes)
Max Participants: 100

Seeing as we've discussed everything to death, this could be fun.

Last edited:

SuperSmashSean

Smash Journeyman
Could you post a link to the mod page where you got this? That is if you acquired it from Brawl Vauly
Of course, this isn't from my game, but i can put it in project m if i wanted.
I mentioned this yesterday, but I decided that we should actually do it because it's something to do- I just set up a K.Rool supporters tourney.

Stages: Battlefield, Mario Circuit, Mario Circuit (Brawl), Jungle Hijinx, Kongo Jungle (64)

I'll be joining

Bananija

Count of Trickery

I'm in.

Last edited:

dkkrang95

Smash Apprentice
NNID
strongkong95

I'll join.

IMainKingKRool

Smash Journeyman
NNID
NYEH_HEH_HEH

An opportunity to prove my bad-at-this-game-ness to everyone? Yes please! :D

KevN くコ:彡

Smash Journeyman

Sounds awesome. I'm in.

3DS FC
0061-0163-0572
I've recently got scared again that, should K. Rool be playable, that Sakurai might try to get creative with his specials. Everybody seems to be in agreement about how they should be a neutral b kannonball from his blunderbuss, a side b krown toss, and an up b kopter, with some grey area with the down b. What if sakurai switches the side and neutral, or does something "unique" with the neutral b? I feel like the side and up are obvious to even him, but even them I'm a little worried that he might find something else. I like the idea of, should the neutral be a kannonball, hitting b again to alternate it from a spiky kannonball, to a grabbable smooth kannonball, to a spiky still kannonball again, etc., but I wouldn't blame him if he didn't go that far, or if it simply didn't occur to him. I'd be fine with a generic "charge shot" kannonball attack.

Strong-Arm

Smash Ace
NNID
stormfury
3DS FC
2836-0207-2430

BKupa666

Barnacled Boss
He's not in a similar situation to Bowser at all. Bowser is not 90% torso like K. Rool is. He's more similar to D3, but D3 alleviates most of his physiology issues with his ballon-mechanic and possibly his mallet too. I don't think K. Rool is un-doable but I definitely thought his physiology could be a potential issue.

Talking about fan-made movesets is pointless because they just use canon moves for canon's sake and we don't know how balanced they'd be in-game.
The physiology thing is something I've thought about in wondering how he'd appear onstage, but it never struck me as too big an obstacle to overcome, pun intended.

Not all fan-made movesets are made equal, though. The crappy sort of ones Sakurai decries in interviews generally list just specials, thrown carelessly together by way of their maker saying "HE CAN USE THIS MOVE AND THIS ONE AND THIS ONE." The good ones, however, take into consideration everything you mentioned earlier...off the top of my head, @MasterWarlord, @ Wintropy Wintropy , @DJ3DS, @Bowserlick and @Zombie Saurian (and several others from here less fresh in my mind) have made such K. Rool movesets.

Barring an extreme lack of research and creativity, there's no reason Sakurai can't do the same. K. Rool offers nothing that's exceptionally difficult to balance (like potentially Ridley) and, if you can "invent" a moveset for someone like Duck Hunt, he should be a complete cakewalk. Especially with so many fans spoonfeeding such playstyle ideas to you through the ballot.

Joining. Are we supposed to use the K. Rool costume or any character of our choice?

Last edited:

murdokdracul

"What do you mean you support Yoshimitsu?!"
NNID
murdokdracul
3DS FC
2836-0188-2561
Switch FC
SW-5151-9208-7814

I'll be joining in maybe like...ten hours, if anyone's playing it then. It's nearly 2:00 am here in the UK right now :/

3DS FC
0061-0163-0572
Well, I got the K. Rool kostume.

I gotta say, it's a ton of fun. It looks great in HD and the moveset feels surprisingly K. Rool-esque (especially Shotput and Head-On Assault - if you imagine you're playing K. Rool in a martial arts kostume, it's pretty nifty). It isn't a patch on the real deal, of course: at the end of the day, it's fun to play about in K. Rool kosplay, but it isn't an excuse for the real King.

It's made me want to play K. Rool for real even more, of course. I'm just about to enter a tourney with the Mii and tag KRool4DLC - wish me luck!
That would be a fun K. Rool rendition: A martial arts K. Rool? Minimal weaponry, but lots of half arsed kicks and chops, as well as lots of hopping and throwing his weight around. Maybe your chance to hit him is when he messes up a cool looking move and is temporarily dazed?

Wintropy

Peace and love and all that jazzmatazz~! <3
NNID
Winterwhite
3DS FC
1461-6253-6301
I'm in too! :3

@ BKupa666 BKupa666 's kind words remind me, I need to revise my moveset. I kinda went for the Villager "kitchen sink" approach with his moveset concepts, which, in hindsight, feels a tad overwrought. I'll try rewrite it with a more streamlined yet effective set, should be fun~

StormC

Smash Hero
In regards to K. Rool's physiology, the only things that I can imagine as potentially problematic are his roll and aerials. Sakurai wouldn't be where he is if he gave up on a character because he had trouble animating a few moves.

NNID
AwesomeCauliflwr
3DS FC
0576-6167-0092
In regards to K. Rool's physiology, the only things that I can imagine as potentially problematic are his roll and aerials. Sakurai wouldn't be where he is if he gave up on a character because he had trouble animating a few moves.
I really want his roll, spot dodge and air dodge to be like palutena and Greninjas where he just disappears and pretty much teleports.

Richard 89

Smash Lord
NNID
Wesker08
3DS FC
4768-7987-3562
Now that i've caught up to the thread's page i'd like to say that i would like to join the tourney as well, but i'll definitely purchase the mii costume tomorrow.

StormC

Smash Hero
I really want his roll, spot dodge and air dodge to be like palutena and Greninjas where he just disappears and pretty much teleports.
I actually completely forgot about his invisibility/teleportation. It'd be great to see such an obscure aspect of the character referenced, but I wonder if non-fans (and even some fans) would be totally baffled why this pirate crocodile possesses supernatural powers.

KawaiiPiranha

Smash Journeyman
The physiology thing is something I've thought about in wondering how he'd appear onstage, but it never struck me as too big an obstacle to overcome, pun intended.

Not all fan-made movesets are made equal, though. The crappy sort of ones Sakurai decries in interviews generally list just specials, thrown carelessly together by way of their maker saying "HE CAN USE THIS MOVE AND THIS ONE AND THIS ONE." The good ones, however, take into consideration everything you mentioned earlier...off the top of my head, @MasterWarlord, @ Wintropy Wintropy , @DJ3DS, @Bowserlick and @Zombie Saurian (and several others from here less fresh in my mind) have made such K. Rool movesets.

Barring an extreme lack of research and creativity, there's no reason Sakurai can't do the same. K. Rool offers nothing that's exceptionally difficult to balance (like potentially Ridley) and, if you can "invent" a moveset for someone like Duck Hunt, he should be a complete cakewalk. Especially with so many fans spoonfeeding such playstyle ideas to you through the ballot.

Joining. Are we supposed to use the K. Rool costume or any character of our choice?
I've just been using whoever, but I've been using green costumes.

D

Deleted member

Even in somewhat bleak moments like these, new Kutthroats join the group.

HohnTTD

Smash Cadet

A few people were asking, so here's code for the K. Rool Mii I made. I have a New 3DS so I can't conveniently take my SD card out, so I had to take a photo of the code, but it should still work.

Richard 89

Smash Lord
NNID
Wesker08
3DS FC
4768-7987-3562

3ds or Wii U, either way my name shows up as Richard 89 but i put my NNID in the comment section when i'm in a match, be it for glory or whatever.

Tortilla Noggin

Smash Obsessed

A few people were asking, so here's code for the K. Rool Mii I made. I have a New 3DS so I can't conveniently take my SD card out, so I had to take a photo of the code, but it should still work.
Nice one!

You should be able to e-mail the QR Code to yourself, though - that's what I always do, anyway, though come to think of it, I don't imagine there'd be anything preventing you from uploading directly to Imgur or similar either (not that I've tried that on my own New 3DS). :laugh:

Last edited:

POKEMANSPIKA

Smash Master
NNID
POKEMANSPIKA
All these people making tourneys with their GameCube controllers, and I'm over here like, "I have a Wiimote." Then again, I did play For Glory with Shulk, didn't use his arts a lot, and won twice in a row against a Fox.

Top Bottom