• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

K. Rool's Kremling Kutthroats: PM BKupa666 for an Invite to the New K. Rool Thread

memoryman3

Daisy Obsessed
NNID
memoryman3
I've stopped caring about franchise rep numbers tbh. I thought Brawl had the perfect amount of Mario reps, yet Smash 4 has every Mario rep to ever appear in the Smash series at once. It's clear that only fans care about having a number of playable characters equivalent to the number of games/age/prominence of any given franchise. I don't think adding back a popular Melee clone has any meaningful impact on other character's chances. Lucina didn't take slots from anyone who was deserving and as people have already said, Roy will just clear up the ballots so people vote for characters who haven't already been in a game. They're non-issues.

If K. Rool or any other newcomer I like gets in, that's fantastic. I'll keep rooting for him until the ballot is closed. No character being included could possibly damper my feelings about playable K. Rool.
Not Daisy or Birdo though.....

Well I think K.Rool in Smash 4 would be good, but it would be AWESOME if I could name him Custom Croc in Custom Settings :smirk:

BowserK.Rool

Smash Champion
It's not 'you guys' its the bandwagon movement. #Trufax

Why would we need Squirtle and Ivysaur back? We have enough embarassment for Mewtwo already with him being even lighter than Pikachu... :rolleyes:
Nah, Diddy still outlights both of them.

NNID
Ridleylash
3DS FC
1736-1657-3905
This post is from a couple of pages back, sorry if you don't want this;
Here is what Sakurai said about the character some time after release:

"I definitely know that Ridley’s a much-anticipated name for fans, but if we made Ridley as a fighter, it wouldn’t be Ridley any longer. It’d have to be shrunk down, or its wings reduced in size, or be unable to fly around freely."

I was as big (no pun intended), of a Ridley supporter as much as the next guy, but if Sakurai couldn't get it to work then, I doubt it he would waste dev time again. I think the only chances he has now is if a new director gave it a shot in a future installment.
Then again, it's also possible that they had to scrap Ridley due to time constraints, as well; he can't have been scrapped right from the beginning, otherwise he wouldn't feel so...well, off as a stage hazard. His movements are more erratic than other stage bosses, and pretty much all other stage bosses don't have standard KO effects applied to them at all (Metal Face explodes sort of like a cluster of Bob-ombs, Yellow Devil explodes like a Smart Bomb and Dark Emperor does explosive stuff). About the only boss-like thing about him other than his pattern is his size.

The quote also suggests that Sakurai is getting stuck on Ridley's mechanics, which is probably a bigger reason than size as to his exclusion. With the main game finished, Sakurai now has time to try and iron out those issues without worrying about the rest of the game. Plus, Sakurai also said Villager wouldn't work for Smash, and next thing we know... :p
The man is known for going back on his words at times, so we should take anything he says about Ridley with a grain of salt, just because the man is so ludicrously unpredictable.

So actually, DLC gives Ridley another chance...if Sakurai feels like trying to make Ridley a fighter again. And knowing Sakurai, the unpredictable man he is, he may very well try again because he's a highly-requested newcomer, he has iconic value and he could focus more on making Ridley work now rather than balancing Ridley on top of more than 40 other characters as during the game's development. :p

Besides, depending on how much support Ridley gets in the Fighter Ballot from around the world, he gets an even bigger chance since that would mean that Sakurai has another incentive to try again; it'd be profitable.

King_K_Rules

Smash Journeyman
Woot DK 64 on VC! Did you know DK64 was featured in Lizzie McGuire? No gameplay, but you can cleary see the yellow cartridge at 17:11 in this video. (along with the translucent jungle green N64!!)

Last edited:

King_K_Rules

Smash Journeyman
Also I've been trying to get #KrocTheVote trending on Twitter, has anyone tried modifying this to say "Kroc the Vote"?

Maybe make the "O" in vote a bloodshot eye? Sorry I have zero artistic abilities.

Smashoperatingbuddy123

Smash Legend
Thought I'd just drop this here. I did my best to try to make him no bigger than bowser although the girth is pretty big. (Try drawing characters in small perspectives on the Wii U pad some time, it isn't that easy).
View attachment 47699
Wait wait wait, wheres king dedede of that bundle.

And yes roy and ryu just hit the 98% percent zone for likelyhood of dlc since the sources are very reliable of saying, the victory themes were not ripped from other games and truely made by makers of smash 4.

Plus sounds found accually happened in smash 4

All of those found on 3ds all ended up to be wii u exclusive stuff.

Then this
A sound a not known palutena guidence

Turned out to be mewtwos

So if roy and ryu happened thats 3 out of 3 of sound found that happened in the future.

Helps the king due to wolf already a lock and the most request above the king is out of the way.

The only competition for him is inkling and isaac.

Shawksta

Smash Apprentice
People seem to get the wrong impression.

Ryu and Roy don't have anything to do with the ballot, if anything they were decided the same time the Ballot was decided to exist

I'm pretty sure we are still getting Ballot newcomers, with Ryu and Roy being bonuses

Shawksta

Smash Apprentice
So who picked up Donkey Kong 64 on Wii U Virtual Console?

*Raises hand*
Of course

Who knows, maybe Sakurai will want to play the game and then get interested in K Rool given how much of a great villain he was in that game

BKupa666

Barnacled Boss
Isn't there a rumor that he loves DK64 anyway? god I hope it's true.
That rumor came about as a result of Diddy getting his rocketbarrels and popguns in his Brawl moveset. Which would, of course, bode well for a potential DK64-style bumbling K. Rool.

If we're being optimistic, the other possibility is that those were the moves they gleaned from the Brawl survey, since virtually every Diddy moveset at the time had them as well in his old thread. Maybe the same thing will happen with K. Rool's crown, blunderbuss and helicopter pack.

Last edited:

Banjo-Kazooie

Smash Ace
NNID
Burudiman
3DS FC
2492-5021-9705
Mewtwo, Lucas, Roy and if Wolf ended being the only one that won the ballot. That would be very crummy.
I played all of those characters in Melee and Brawl. And while they might be cool to have back. We are not in a 6 month ballot event just to get veterans and white pijama boy. I want someone new.

MainJPW

M.T.A
Mewtwo, Lucas, Roy and if Wolf ended being the only one that won the ballot. That would be very crummy.
I played all of those characters in Melee and Brawl. And while they might be cool to have back. We are not in a 6 month ballot event just to get veterans and white pijama boy. I want someone new.
Lol.
I have almost no doubt we'll get more than one newcomer with the ballot.

Last edited:

Senselessbreak

Smash Lord
Helps the king due to wolf already a lock and the most request above the king is out of the way.

The only competition for him is inkling and isaac.
Wonder Red seems to be very competitive, vote wise, with K Rool. So do 3rd party characters like Banjo Kazooie, Shovel Knight and Shantae (God kill me if the last two get in xD). Also Krystal and Dixie seem to be doing good on polls and could be a potential hazard for Wolf and K Rool.....although I think Wolf will get in without the poll.

Raxxel

Hipster Heavyweight Champ
NNID
RaxxelAintHappy
3DS FC
2921-9637-8816
Wonder Red ain't competing against K. Rool. That 4chan poll was a battle of the bots.

D

Deleted member

New subject: today marks the deathday of the "little kids won't know who K. Rool is because they can't play his games and/or get to the end and fight him" grasping at straws. You see him not five minutes into DK64's intro. That's cause for minor celebration.

They can now be as intimately familiar with K. Rool as they were with characters like Duck Hunt, Shulk, anyone from KI or FE, Lucas, ICs, Snake...
I think many people overestimate the casual audience anyway. They will vote, but they aren't as numerous as they used to be nor are they dedicated towards getting their character in like we are. I doubt they would be able to vote someone like Daisy to the top of the poll over King K. Rool for example.
The thing that bugs me about Ryu though, he's not really new or inspired. Hes already from a 2D fighting game, and already has a moveset made. It would probably be as much effort as creating a veteran at this point, as Ryu's moveset would just be copied and imitated for Smash.

The thing about newcomers is they bring new ideas and new movesets to the table. For example, if we got Chorus Kids as DLC, they would be so unique and surely a lot of thought would have to be put into them. It seems that the current DLC choices are going to quantity and speed rather than the quality a newcomer would have.

So far with Mewtwo, we have seen a fairly ctrl +c/v design from melee, and then adjusted to the physics of Sm4sh. Not to mention no custom moves or Palutena's Guidance. Lucas and Roy (and Wolf) will be pretty much the same thing, where they will make them completely based off their previous designs, and get them out as quickly as possible. Ryu was likely chosen because he'd be so easy to make in Smash. Sakurai has already said he could make 6 clones in the time it takes to make one newcomer. Surely thats what we are seeing here.

Maybe we will get a proper newcomer from the ballot, but until then, I expect Ryu to be the only newcomer.
Keep in mind that Mewtwo, Lucas, Roy, Ryu, and likely Wolf are not ballot characters and the fact we already have four (probably five) characters in the work before E3 is a good sign that we'll be getting more than we expected. And there's no way I don't see more than one character being added after E3. I doubt there will be only one Nintendo newcomer, let alone just one third-party from Capcom. Plus "Smash 6" is a thing and that kind of indicates we'll going to be flooded with DLC. By the time we are done with DLC, I expect two Nintendo newcomers to show up; one of them being as a result of the ballot (possibly both) and that's just my lowest expectation.

I also doubt Ryu would be as easy as creating a veteran. You have to keep in mind that Sakurai places extremely high expectations on third-party characters and given how much of an gaming icon Ryu is (and before anyone ask, Sakurai has never said anything about preference towards characters that appear on Nintendo systems a lot and even if he did... Capcom's best selling Nintendo title is Street Fighter II, which alone, he is one of the better choices out there. Plus Street Fighter's gaming mechanics is a LOT different from Super Smash Bros.; the rules of both games function radically differently. I can't see Ryu being a simple copy and paste characters; he's going to have a lot of effort put into him just like other third-party characters. Like you, I am also skeptical of how he'll be implemented, but I find it premature to dismiss him as being as much work as a veteran.

Last edited by a moderator:

cybersai

Smash Ace
The problem is what if the ballot is only for 1-2 characters? We're already getting 4 characters before the ballot, so the ballot winners would likely be very few.

If say the top poll winners are K. Rool, Isaac, Inkling, etc.....Sakurai would probably favor Inkling because its a new franchise and Isaac because he's a Japanese anime RPG character. And K. Rool would be ignored again.

You guys aren't thinking of this logically. We may only get 2 characters from the ballot, and even if K. Rool has the most votes there's no indication he'll get chosen.

Banjodorf

Dynamic Duo
NNID
bluefalcon27
3DS FC
2105-8715-5493
Are people still worried about Royu? They CANNOT have ANYTHING to do with the ballot and if they mean anything, mean good things for him.

The characters hurt by this, again, are all the third parties (which unfortunately includes Banjo) but K. Rool's still historically been the world's most wanted Nintendo newcomer, and if we get Wolf, along with all the other DLC vets we know about and Ryu, the stage is pretty much set.

If anything, we should be celebrating! I know I'm gonna celebrate with DK64 today! Was thinking of doing a Miiverse play through (screenshotting points of the game as I go and doing discussions, you guys should tune in!)

I'm Bluefalcon27 on Miiverse, btw.

Dark Phazon

Smash Hero
The problem is what if the ballot is only for 1-2 characters? We're already getting 4 characters before the ballot, so the ballot winners would likely be very few.

If say the top poll winners are K. Rool, Isaac, Inkling, etc.....Sakurai would probably favor Inkling because its a new franchise and Isaac because he's a Japanese anime RPG character. And K. Rool would be ignored again.

You guys aren't thinking of this logically. We may only get 2 characters from the ballot, and even if K. Rool has the most votes there's no indication he'll get chosen.
4 characters before the ballot?
Isnt there only 2 listed in the sound files?
Roy and Ryu?
Or am i missing something?
Are ypu counting Lucas too?

Paraka

Smash Rookie
People seem to get the wrong impression.

Ryu and Roy don't have anything to do with the ballot, if anything they were decided the same time the Ballot was decided to exist

I'm pretty sure we are still getting Ballot newcomers, with Ryu and Roy being bonuses
Actually, knowing some things about timing in game design (being one myself), -IF- Roy and Ryu leak is actually genuine, then their decisions to be made/added were back several months before the ballot was considered to go worldwide (something they've been doing almost exclusively in Japan til now).

So basically, these decisions had nothing to do with the ballot what-so-ever.

But if true, good on Ryu, though. Hopefully this means I see a SF game on the Wii U sometime, even if it is a re-imagined SF4 arcade version.

JaidynReiman

Smash Hero
NNID
JaidynReiman
Also I've been trying to get #KrocTheVote trending on Twitter, has anyone tried modifying this to say "Kroc the Vote"?

Maybe make the "O" in vote a bloodshot eye? Sorry I have zero artistic abilities.
You're a month too late. The Kremling Kutthroats #KroctheVote all the time ever since the direct first aired lol.

4 characters before the ballot?
Isnt there only 2 listed in the sound files?
Roy and Ryu?
Or am i missing something?
Are ypu counting Lucas too?
4 characters before the ballot--Mewtwo, Lucas, Roy, and Ryu. All four have been in development.

I think anyone who thinks that we'll only get 1-2 characters from the ballot isn't thinking logically. They're planning a TON of DLC right now. They're not going to do a massive poll and put in only one or two characters. I'm expecting at LEAST 3.

4 characters before the ballot proves they're REALLY pushing for a lot of DLC. That should get people to think we'll have even -more- ballot characters, not less.

Senselessbreak

Smash Lord
Wonder Red ain't competing against K. Rool. That 4chan poll was a battle of the bots.
Its interesting because Wonder Red is very popular on /v/ and neogaf....yet non existent in places like Reddit. I've never played W101, but I'm actually going to soon to see what all the fuss is about. I did the same with Xenoblade last summer and fell in love with it! I feel K Rool and Red are going to be our two ballot winners (or rather choices since winning the poll doesnt mean they get made)

StormC

Smash Hero
This is my fear as well. Yes, it would make sense to add multiple characters from the ballot.

But Sakurai doesn't always make sense.

Manic Rykker

Smash Lord
Exactly why I have hoped greatly that we won't be getting that many Vets this time around.. Not that I'm not a fan of these characters either. Most of the cut characters I used to play to death in their respective Smash installments. I'd just much rather see fresh blood as DLC than characters that have already appeared in the game...

Plus this stuff is paid DLC anyway... I can't understand why so many people are voting for these vets in the ballot. Would they seriously be happy if all we got were characters we have had in Smash before?...

Just all in all... when Nintendo gives you a chance to vote for WHATEVER videogame character you would want to see in Smash... Why on earth would you vote for someone you have played as already/ you could go back like one or two installments to play as?... That just makes no sense to me.

Thelimomon

Smash Journeyman
I want to give some thoughts on the Ryu/Roy thing.

At first I didn't believe it, but then I heard the Street Fighter song and now I am HYPED for Ryu.
I'm a Street Fighter fan for a few years now. I'm very bad at it, but I like it a lot.

However, there also is Roy. I don't care for numbers of characters per series per se, but it's bugging me that there are quite a few characters, in my opinion (including K. Rool), that should be in over 60% of the Fire Emblem characters.
(I am actually sorry for Fire Emblem fans, because they probably will have to hear a lot of rude complaints about the amount of characters from Fire Emblem.)

I still hope that Sakurai chose those characters because he thought they wouldn't be highly requested in the ballot.
And actually, the only characters I could see on the top of the ballot, that are already in Smash are Mega Man, Pac-Man, and Mewtwo.
Little Mac would most likely have problems in Japan and maybe Sakurai thought that Lucas and Roy would have struggles in the west, because they are from games that only got released in Japan.
Yet all I can do is hope for the best and a lot of great characters from the ballot.

Side note about my drawing:
If someone was wondering why I didn't say something about my drawing of K. Rool lately, well, I wasn't able to draw the last days due to... reasons. But I will continue anytime soon.
By the way, the shading will probably be very simple. Mybe I won't do the shading, I think it could also be great without it, but I will do what I can. I just hope no one expects to much...

Last edited:

The Quarter Master

Smash Apprentice
Hey guys! I'm not sure if any of you have noticed, but Shiny updated the page. (Good news, don't worry Roy/Ryu fans)
http://www.reddit.com/r/smashbros/comments/32nymz/smash_update_106_decrypted_first_observations/

What if Nintendo is buying Mega Man and Ryu is taking his place as the Capcom rep? After all, Nintendo HAS been looking for some new IP's lately. It would make the most sense, and if so, I'm excited!

EDIT: Katie (http://www.awkwardzombie.com/) is going to have some AWESOME Roy material to work with, if he does come back (which I hope he will by this point). I hope he gets his Awakening design.

Last edited:

Banjodorf

Dynamic Duo
NNID
bluefalcon27
3DS FC
2105-8715-5493
If K. Rool wins the ballot, he'll more than likely get in. Cmon people, don't get all conspiracy theory-tastic because Sakurai. There's a lot of things we don't actually know and just assume.

Besides that, the way things look, if K. Rool wins the ballot, a bunch of third parties are going to be between him and Inklings, and other Nintendo characters. Even if these aren't possible choices, they still push Inklings and others back from places where they're likely to be chosen.

Isaac is probably in the same position as Rool, since I see them vying for top. Isaac has a lot more fans than I ever remember half the time.

Another note about Inklings, we're in the middle of Splatoon hype atm (I guess, I don't really care myself), and I expect the requests for them to die down after the game comes out. That, or Sakurai already wants to use them for Smash 5 or something.

JaidynReiman

Smash Hero
NNID
JaidynReiman
Hey guys! I'm not sure if any of you have noticed, but Shiny updated the page. (Good news, don't worry Roy/Ryu fans)
http://www.reddit.com/r/smashbros/comments/32nymz/smash_update_106_decrypted_first_observations/

What if Nintendo is buying Mega Man and Ryu is taking his place as the Capcom rep? After all, Nintendo HAS been looking for some new IP's lately. It would make the most sense, and if so, I'm excited!

EDIT: Katie (http://www.awkwardzombie.com/) is going to have some AWESOME Roy material to work with, if he does come back (which I hope he will by this point). I hope he gets his Awakening design.
That's an idea I've been bringing up quite a bit but no one seems to think its a valid option. Or at least, no one has commented on the possibility.

Capcom can't afford ****. Nintendo would NOT include Ryu unless they got something BIG in return. I'm thinking either Nintendo vs. Capcom game for Wii U, or Nintendo bought a Capcom IP--probably Mega Man--and Ryu is replacing the "Capcom" rep.

The Quarter Master

Smash Apprentice
That's an idea I've been bringing up quite a bit but no one seems to think its a valid option. Or at least, no one has commented on the possibility.

Capcom can't afford ****. Nintendo would NOT include Ryu unless they got something BIG in return. I'm thinking either Nintendo vs. Capcom game for Wii U, or Nintendo bought a Capcom IP--probably Mega Man--and Ryu is replacing the "Capcom" rep.
It's good if they did/will buy Mega Man. If there's any IP that needs help right now, it's the Blue Bomber himself. There's no way I'm not touching that "Mighty No.9" crap.

Why make a redesign of a beloved series? That's just stupid.

Manic Rykker

Smash Lord
It's good if they did/will buy Mega Man. If there's any IP that needs help right now, it's the Blue Bomber himself. There's no way I'm not touching that "Mighty No.9" crap.

Why make a redesign of a beloved series? That's just stupid.
FYI, just to make sure you are aware, that game was made by Keiji Inafune.. the creator of Megaman. From what I've heard, he didn't like the direction the Capcom corporates were taking the series. So, since he couldn't just make a Megaman game in the way everyone wanted (As Capcom's holding of the Megaman IP prevents that), he did the next best thing: Recreate it from scratch with new characters.

I find that interesting. A few others seem to be jumping on board with that sorta strategy.. (Like for example, Platonic Games, the creators of Banjo & Kazooie's project in the works, "Project Ukulele".)

If Nintendo is buying Megaman, that would be amazing.. perhaps the series could get back on track after so many years.

They are called "spiritual successors" for a reason after all.

Last edited:

cybersai

Smash Ace
If K. Rool wins the ballot, he'll more than likely get in. Cmon people, don't get all conspiracy theory-tastic because Sakurai. There's a lot of things we don't actually know and just assume.

Besides that, the way things look, if K. Rool wins the ballot, a bunch of third parties are going to be between him and Inklings, and other Nintendo characters. Even if these aren't possible choices, they still push Inklings and others back from places where they're likely to be chosen.
I understand your good intentions but I simply cannot trust Sakurai. The man is known the play favorites and is very bias. He picks characters HE wants to see in Smash and then sometimes throws the fans a bone (like Little Mac) but that's it. He also picks characters more popular in Japan than in the West consistently.

I simply don't trust Sakurai. He probably never played the Donkey Kong Country series in his life.

The Quarter Master

Smash Apprentice
FYI, just to make sure you are aware, that game was made by Keiji Inafune.. the creator of Megaman. From what I've heard, he didn't like the direction the Capcom corporates were taking the series. So, since he couldn't just make a Megaman game in the way everyone wanted (As Capcom's holding of the Megaman IP prevents that), he did the next best thing: Recreate it from scratch with new characters.

I find that interesting. A few others seem to be jumping on board with that sorta strategy.. (Like for example, Platonic Games, the creators of Banjo & Kazooie's project in the works, "Project Ukulele".)

If Nintendo is buying Megaman, that would be amazing.. perhaps the series could get back on track after so many years.

They are called "spiritual successors" for a reason after all.
I know all that. But regardless, it's just not Mega Man. :/

I do support Playtonic though. I'm not sure how that works, but I'm really excited for their stuff nonetheless.

Top Bottom