• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

K. Rool's Kremling Kutthroats: PM BKupa666 for an Invite to the New K. Rool Thread

BKupa666

Barnacled Boss
I know not everyone is satisfied with these characters, but let's keep as cool of heads as possible in the thread for now. Reason being, every minute we spend talking about them in here is a minute we spend distracted from our ultimate goal. Also, DK64 hype.

One way to channel your energy, for those who haven't yet voted or plan to vote more, include in your write-ups that you are disappointed the Donkey Kong franchise has such a pitiful amount of content. Hammer it home, if K. Rool's placement didn't already do so, that this sort of neglect is not to be tolerated.

Last edited:

CJ Falcon

Smash Lord
Oh wow, it was in the direct. How'd I miss that? That game is my jam. It's a good thing Dk 64 along with the DKC trilogy are bringing K. Rool's presence to the Wii U through the eShop. But what did they do about Jetpac?

ChronoBound

Smash Hero
Roy returning is nothing but good news for K. Rool and Wolf fans. Prior to Sakurai officially announcing DLC and after Mewtwo's confirmation, Lucas and Roy were the most popular choices for DLC. Guess which character was the most wanted newcomer amongst Japanese fans prior to DLC. That's right K. Rool.

Also, Roy fans have been fighting for his return for years just like you guys. Roy's possible return came about as a probable combination of high popularity and easiness.

Also, Ryu supports the notion that we will likely have far more slots for DLC than we think.

So again, I have no idea why K. Rool fans think Roy and Ryu somehow took the croc's spot, if anything they likely rolled out the carpet for him. The only character that I think would have portended poorly for K. Rool's prospects would have been Dixie Kong.

dangeraaron10

Smash Master
Yeah, Ryu and Roy have nothing to do with the ballot, because they were likely planned long before the ballot actually went up. I'm still boggled as to why their files are on the patch. Ryu for Smash though. Come on guys, he's the FACE of the fighting game genre. Sakurai at one point said he wouldn't add fighters from fighting games and specifically pointed out Ryu...and yet here he is. At least we know Sakurai can change his mind on things.

If anything, I'm starting to get very hopeful now that Smash 4 will be a platform for many DLC characters, and possibly stages too. Mewtwo and Lucas were only the beginning...

This hype train has no brakes.

Swamp Sensei

Today is always the most enjoyable day!
BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
Oh man...

DK64 is one of my favorite N64 games...

I still have it though...

Should I buy it on VC so that I don't have to worry about cartridge issues and aging hardware?

Is no multiplayer worth it?

dangeraaron10

Smash Master
Roy returning is nothing but good news for K. Rool and Wolf fans. Prior to Sakurai officially announcing DLC and after Mewtwo's confirmation, Lucas and Roy were the most popular choices for DLC. Guess which character was the most wanted newcomer amongst Japanese fans prior to DLC. That's right K. Rool.

Also, Roy fans have been fighting for his return for years just like you guys. Roy's possible return came about as a probable combination of high popularity and easiness.

Also, Ryu supports the notion that we will likely have far more slots for DLC than we think.

So again, I have no idea why K. Rool fans think Roy and Ryu somehow took the croc's spot, if anything they likely rolled out the carpet for him. The only character that I think would have portended poorly for K. Rool's prospects would have been Dixie Kong.
All the yes. If anything, taking Roy and Ryu off the ballot and putting them in anyway will likely have their respective fans (the former having more votes than you'd think, especially in Japan) go to other characters. K Rool is pretty popular in Japan, but Lucas and Roy were also very popular if not more so. So if anything, fans of the King should be very supportive of their inclusion...and perhaps even might entice these fans to vote K Rool since their characters are getting in regardless of the ballot. Think of it like that. Bashing Fire Emblem or Street Fighter won't win the King more fans.

BowserK.Rool

Smash Champion
Thought I'd just drop this here. I did my best to try to make him no bigger than bowser although the girth is pretty big. (Try drawing characters in small perspectives on the Wii U pad some time, it isn't that easy).
oh my.jpg

Banjodorf

Dynamic Duo
NNID
bluefalcon27
3DS FC
2105-8715-5493
Oh man...

DK64 is one of my favorite N64 games...

I still have it though...

Should I buy it on VC so that I don't have to worry about cartridge issues and aging hardware?

Is no multiplayer worth it?
Why doesn't it have Multiplayer? How would that even make sense? It's a direct port.

Last edited:

Steelia

Smash Champion
All the yes. If anything, taking Roy and Ryu off the ballot and putting them in anyway will likely have their respective fans (the former having more votes than you'd think, especially in Japan) go to other characters. K Rool is pretty popular in Japan, but Lucas and Roy were also very popular if not more so. So if anything, fans of the King should be very supportive of their inclusion...and perhaps even might entice these fans to vote K Rool since their characters are getting in regardless of the ballot. Think of it like that. Bashing Fire Emblem or Street Fighter won't win the King more fans.
Precisely - my siblings and I have been devoting our time to a few characters, largely King K. Rool and Roy. But with Roy now seemingly upcoming, this makes it so we can now devote nearly full-time to the Kremling cause.

BowserK.Rool

Smash Champion
Welp.

That made my decision.

But do you have proof?
No but if DKC1-3 still has multiplayer then I don't see why DK64 should be any different. GBA and possibly DS VC games I can see not having them because of them originally being handheld games but other then that I think it's all good.

Oracle_Summon

Smash Hero
If those voters don't want a secondary Namco/Sega playable character (if the rumor is true), then they will vote for King K. Rool.

If this turns out to be true, not only will the votes be shared among King K. Rool and the Nintendo Family, but any two sets of Third Party characters.

For example, how much do you think people would rather vote: Tails, Knuckles and Eggman getting in instead of voting for King K. Rool?

D

Deleted member

I know that a lot of people here are worried about King K. Rool because the Roy and Ryu leak, but I don't see what exactly is the problem here.

Roy and Ryu can't be ballot characters as they have music files on them that were made before E3. This makes me think that they were one of the characters made prior to the ballot. I also still think that Wolf is likely in the works as well and I still think it could be shown at E3. I will be shocked if he doesn't make it as DLC. If Mewtwo, Lucas, Wolf, and Roy, the four most popular veterans, are non-ballot DLC, guess who is the most wanted character period? None other than King K. Rool. This puts him in a class above everyone else when it comes to popularity.

If anything, I think this is good news for him. I feel a lot less confident in Inklings given that I don't see them as E3 reveals anymore (and as such wouldn't be able to cross-promote Splatoon) and I can't think of a newcomer other than maybe Chorus Men (and even then only if Namco can get them to work) that would get priority over King K. Rool unless Sakurai hates him (and while I don't think Sakurai cares about Donkey Kong that much, it's extreme to say he hates it). That's not to say he is a shoe-in and I will hold Nintendo accountable if they try to pass off a character clearly added for other reasons as the character added due to the Smash Ballot, but I do feel more optimistic about his odds than I have had since the end of 2013. Plus the fact that Roy and Ryu are non-Ballot characters makes me think that we will see more DLC characters than we think. I expect somewhere between seven to nine characters; Mewtwo, Lucas, Wolf, Roy, Ryu, and at least two Nintendo newcomers. I have a feeling King K. Rool will be one of the remaining 2-4 characters.

Regardless, I will continue to support King K. Rool until the every end. So until then, let's kroc the vote for the Kremling King to get in as Smash DLC.

Last edited by a moderator:

PSIGuy

Smash Lord
I've stopped caring about franchise rep numbers tbh. I thought Brawl had the perfect amount of Mario reps, yet Smash 4 has every Mario rep to ever appear in the Smash series at once. It's clear that only fans care about having a number of playable characters equivalent to the number of games/age/prominence of any given franchise. I don't think adding back a popular Melee clone has any meaningful impact on other character's chances. Lucina didn't take slots from anyone who was deserving and as people have already said, Roy will just clear up the ballots so people vote for characters who haven't already been in a game. They're non-issues.

If K. Rool or any other newcomer I like gets in, that's fantastic. I'll keep rooting for him until the ballot is closed. No character being included could possibly damper my feelings about playable K. Rool.

Mariomaniac45213

The Nintendo Villain main!
Switch FC
SW 5604 9250 9133
It's a shame that we have to fight this hard to get King K.Rool or Dixie Kong into Smash. 2 major Nintendo characters in a Nintendo all-star game. Yet Snake and Ryu can just get in...we have to vote and petition to get fairly obvious additions to anyone except Sakurai. It's really disheartening but I won't back down and i'm staying the course. Hopefully when Smash Bros for NX comes out it will have a new director.

PsychoIncarnate

The Eternal Will of the Swarm
NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
I'm still rooting for K Rool

I just feel my main man Geno needs more support

Swamp Sensei

BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
Half of you guys have already given up.

A character who isn't K.Rool happened to get in.

Big deal.

K.Rool would have gotten in through the ballot anyways.

Just accept Roy and Ryu for what they are and continue support for our favorite Kroc.

You guys are starting to become toxic.

BKupa666

Barnacled Boss
New subject: today marks the deathday of the "little kids won't know who K. Rool is because they can't play his games and/or get to the end and fight him" grasping at straws. You see him not five minutes into DK64's intro. That's cause for minor celebration.

They can now be as intimately familiar with K. Rool as they were with characters like Duck Hunt, Shulk, anyone from KI or FE, Lucas, ICs, Snake...

Last edited:

PsychoIncarnate

The Eternal Will of the Swarm
NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
Little kid's aren't playing DKC 2?

Kids suck

Last edited:

CannonStreak

Supersonic Warrior
Premium

So, how is this good news for Wolf fans?

MainJPW

M.T.A
Well considering Roy is coming back and the fact Sakurai did say melee veterans are harder to bring back then brawl vets and considering Wolf is as easy to bring back as Lucas suggests Wolf fans have nothing to worry about.
Not even mentioning his starring role in the new Starfox.

CannonStreak

Supersonic Warrior
Premium
To MainJPW and Steelia, okay then. I just hope Wolf not being leaked along with Roy and Ryu does not mean that they haven't started working on him yet.

MandoBardanJusik

Smash Ace
It's a shame that we have to fight this hard to get King K.Rool or Dixie Kong into Smash. 2 major Nintendo characters in a Nintendo all-star game. Yet Snake and Ryu can just get in...we have to vote and petition to get fairly obvious additions to anyone except Sakurai. It's really disheartening but I won't back down and i'm staying the course. Hopefully when Smash Bros for NX comes out it will have a new director.
Dude, stop being paranoid, everybody is over-reacting to the whole NX thing, when not only is it several years off, but it looks most likely to be a unified OS, and the whole reason it was shown in the first place was to reassure fans that they weren't going to abandon them for mobile

ChronoBound

Smash Hero
Because Wolf is a highly requested veteran just like Roy is, and unlike Roy, Sakurai can just import Brawl's assets to expedite development on Wolf. I would not be surprised if Mewtwo, Lucas, Roy, and Wolf were all originally planned to be in Smash 4 but were cut due to time constraints.

Its a shame that Squirtle and Ivysaur fans are so few in number, as I think if they spoke up and there was a lot of votes in the ballot they too would return.

I think Wolf might be held off since Star Fox Wii U is launching later than expected, while FE14 is launching in June in Japan, so maybe Roy was given priority for that reason.

CannonStreak

Supersonic Warrior
Premium
Because Wolf is a highly requested veteran just like Roy is, and unlike Roy, Sakurai can just import Brawl's assets to expedite development on Wolf. I would not be surprised if Mewtwo, Lucas, Roy, and Wolf were all originally planned to be in Smash 4 but were cut due to time constraints.

Its a shame that Squirtle and Ivysaur fans are so few in number, as I think if they spoke up and there was a lot of votes in the ballot they too would return.

I think Wolf might be held off since Star Fox Wii U is launching later than expected, while FE14 is launching in June in Japan, so maybe Roy was given priority for that reason.
If you say so. I just hope they are working on Wolf right now.

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
Half of you guys have already given up.

A character who isn't K.Rool happened to get in.

Big deal.

K.Rool would have gotten in through the ballot anyways.

Just accept Roy and Ryu for what they are and continue support for our favorite Kroc.

You guys are starting to become toxic.
It's not 'you guys' its the bandwagon movement. #Trufax

Why would we need Squirtle and Ivysaur back? We have enough embarassment for Mewtwo already with him being even lighter than Pikachu... :rolleyes:

Last edited:

Rattle-Kalimba

Smash Apprentice
Man it's kinda ironic that you fans actually have to work so hard to get in a character who is one of the most obvious choices. I mean, come on, every single important Nintendo-Character has know the chance to get in the roster. All of them are in, except KKR, Dixie, Toad, maybe Slippy Toad and that's it. Their no other (important) all-stars I can think off. I do not know how big of a deal Andy and Issac are for Nintendo. If KKR looses against somebody unimportant like.... I don't know, anybody than him.

Epic Neal Time

Smash Cadet
If anything, it's great the Ryu is potentially in. That means newcomers can be DLC. We assumed beforehand, yes. It's just nice to see it actually happen.

Swamp Sensei

BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
It's not 'you guys' its the bandwagon movement. #Trufax

Why would we need Squirtle and Ivysaur back? We have enough embarassment for Mewtwo already with him being even lighter than Pikachu... :rolleyes:
What?

Senselessbreak

Smash Lord
If anything, it's great the Ryu is potentially in. That means newcomers can be DLC. We assumed beforehand, yes. It's just nice to see it actually happen.
The thing that bugs me about Ryu though, he's not really new or inspired. Hes already from a 2D fighting game, and already has a moveset made. It would probably be as much effort as creating a veteran at this point, as Ryu's moveset would just be copied and imitated for Smash.

The thing about newcomers is they bring new ideas and new movesets to the table. For example, if we got Chorus Kids as DLC, they would be so unique and surely a lot of thought would have to be put into them. It seems that the current DLC choices are going to quantity and speed rather than the quality a newcomer would have.

So far with Mewtwo, we have seen a fairly ctrl +c/v design from melee, and then adjusted to the physics of Sm4sh. Not to mention no custom moves or Palutena's Guidance. Lucas and Roy (and Wolf) will be pretty much the same thing, where they will make them completely based off their previous designs, and get them out as quickly as possible. Ryu was likely chosen because he'd be so easy to make in Smash. Sakurai has already said he could make 6 clones in the time it takes to make one newcomer. Surely thats what we are seeing here.

Maybe we will get a proper newcomer from the ballot, but until then, I expect Ryu to be the only newcomer.

Last edited:

Maxoxpower

Smash Ace
Maybe we will get a proper newcomer from the ballot, but until then, I expect Ryu to be the only newcomer.
why create a fighterS ballot with only one newcomer ? and a newcommer who anybody vote?
don't make sense

Last edited:
Top Bottom