• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

K. Rool's Kremling Kutthroats: PM BKupa666 for an Invite to the New K. Rool Thread

the101

Smash Journeyman
Outside Bandai Namco Studios with Binoculars...
3DS FC
4854-7073-5738
And I'd like to acknowledge that the K.Rool thread has reached 600 pages of discussion. Congratulations, we've made it this far, and our chances are as pristine as Golden Bananas. Mmmmm.., Bananas... Anybody here downloaded the VC version of Donkey Kong 64? I'm loving it so far, just up to the Kongo Jungle at the moment, with Diddy Kong locked up for abusing his Hoo-hahs against the Kremling leader.
I didn't realize Donkey Kong 64 was among the first wave of Nintendo 64 titles for the Virtual Console. I'll make sure to check that out! I've deeply missed Lanky Kong. Sure he's got no style, he's got no grace, and he certainly has a funny face.
But he can hand-stand when he needs to and will stretch his arms out just for you!

I feel like the only thing I like more than orangutans are crocodiles. ;)

Last edited:

TheDarkKnightNoivern

Smash Master
Well, it does help that Shovel Knight doesn't officially exist in Japan... sadly don't think Shantae really does either

Also, if you guys wanna get technical, DK King of Swing is K.Rool's Modern design, Mario Super Sluggers was just him in disguise
Oh, I didn't know about Shantae but it's true, another popular request to ignore I guess

Last edited:

Starcutter

Resident Beedrill
NNID
Legendofrob1
3DS FC
1908-0357-9077
Well, it does help that Shovel Knight doesn't officially exist in Japan... sadly don't think Shantae really does either
Go Quote yeah! Repin' that Cave Story woo!

Anyways, yeah I'm pretty sure K Rool is in for DLC. That's good! He's in my top 5 list. I voted for him!

StormC

Smash Hero
How many of you Kutthroats were around during Brawl's post-E3 hype? Does it bring back memories for you? I really liked it in the beginning, but it got out of hand near 2008. Now, it's just an all out war. Moreso in this current internet society.
I feel like it's a little more stressful these days because I'm too old for this nonsense. I was in high school during the Brawl hype and now I'm out of college. Devoting so much time, energy and thought to a Nintendo crossover game can feel exhausting.

EDIT: Also I was overall happier with Brawl's newcomers, but K. Rool could easily fix that.

Last edited:

cybersai

Smash Ace
Does anyone know if the Japanese virtual console has the DKC trilogy and DK64? Japan gets different VC games than the U.S, and I'm wondering if the DK games are up over there as well to expose them to King K. Rool.

Remember the kids born today have never played any of the classic games from the 90's. Remember even DK64 is 15 years old now having been released in 1999.

RoseyBetch

Smash Journeyman
Brawl's newcomers were a lot of the remaining mainstay characters in the most recognizable franchises like Diddy, Meta Knight, Wario, Dedede, Pokemon Trainer, etc. Smash 4's newcomers, though... they were mostly niche picks that were unexpected because no one really requested them (Villager, Wii Fit Trainer, Duck Hunt, Greninja) or they were popular niche picks that made select people excited as one could be (Rosalina, Robin, Shulk, Palutena), and then a couple really popular picks in Mac, Pac, Mega Man, and Jr. They can use the ballot to rectify the lack of the mainstay Nintendo characters as newcomers, making me honestly hope we don't get third parties, especially over the likes of K Rool, Isaac, and Wolf.

Thelimomon

Smash Journeyman
Just a general request to a lot of you:
Plese don't insult (in any way) other characters, like Shovel Knight, Bandana Dee or Paper Mario, for example.
There are a lot of people who love those characters and there are also people who love them and K. Rool. Like me, for example.
Everytime someone says something like "There is no reason to vote Shovel Knight" I just want to punch him in the face, because liking a character is already reason enough.

Sure, Shovel Knight might not become a character in Smash, due to obvious reasons, but the people who like him still can request and hope for him, so that he will be considered.

I feel like, as soon as some characters threaten to be more requested than K. Rool, a few people here almost scream angainst this character, just because he could be ranked higher than K. Rool.

Of course, I don't want to stop you to say things like "Shovel Knight never got a realese in Japan, so his chances are ver low.", but plese stop to say things like "People are stupid to vote Shovel Knight!"
Or a even better example: "Paper Mario? Not ANOTHER Mario! We already have enough!!"
People who want Paper Mario apparently don't think Mario has enough (or too many) reps. (I think Mario could get one or two charcters, with out being too many, if other series like Donkey Kong and Metroid get newcomers.)

And sure, you can still say your opinion, I just think there are better ways to do that, without insulting other people/characters in any way.
(By the way, I think on here it's still okay, in most cases. I'm just afraid that it could be getting worse.)

Croph

Hold Baroque Inside
NNID
IceCreamStar
3DS FC
3196-4596-5388
If I may ask, what was the beef with NeoGAF before? Some loud detractors?

I rarely go on there, though someone recently brought this up to me, which is why I'm kinda curious.

Jurae818

Smash Journeyman
StormC: I agree. Looking back, Brawl's newcomers were very powerful and lasting. A lot of good choices and recognizable characters, and even then there was room for more/improvement. Here, it was just "This character wasn't requested, let's put it in." or "The moveset would be unique". It was less about characters and more on who was relevant, or the movesets. I hated it throughout. Were it not for Pac-Man, I wouldn't be buying this game. I've come to like Villager, Duck Hunt and I was on board with Greninja and Mega Man but overall everyone else was either meh or angered me.

I hope some fruit comes from all of this. Smash For dropped the ball hard.

Edit: Limomon, Shovel Knight shouldn't even be mentioned, let alone third parties. I don't care if they appeared on a Nintendo console, they aren't likely at all. This is why I mentioned 2006. It's getting out of hand and history is repeating itself. People need to be realistic with their choices and the indie devs who are openly coming out and saying their character should be in Smash have a lot of nerve.

A LOT of nerve.

Last edited:

Banjodorf

Dynamic Duo
NNID
bluefalcon27
3DS FC
2105-8715-5493
Plese don't insult (in any way) other characters, like Shovel Knight, Bandana Dee or Paper Mario, for example.
There are a lot of people who love those characters and there are also people who love them and K. Rool. Like me, for example.
Everytime someone says something like "There is no reason to vote Shovel Knight" I just want to punch him in the face, because liking a character is already reason enough.

Sure, Shovel Knight might not become a character in Smash, due to obvious reasons, but the people who like him still can request and hope for him, so that he will be considered.

I feel like, as soon as some characters threaten to be more requested than K. Rool, a few people here almost scream angainst this character, just because he could be ranked higher than K. Rool.

Of course, I don't want to stop you to say things like "Shovel Knight never got a realese in Japan, so his chances are ver low.", but plese stop to say things like "People are stupid to vote Shovel Knight!"
Or a even better example: "Paper Mario? Not ANOTHER Mario! We already have enough!!"
People who want Paper Mario apparently don't think Mario has enough (or too many) reps. (I think Mario could get one or two charcters, with out being too many, if other series like Donkey Kong and Metroid get newcomers.)

And sure, you can still say your opinion, I just think there are better ways to do that, without insulting other people/characters in any way.
(By the way, I think on here it's still okay, in most cases. I'm just afraid that it could be getting worse.)
Has this been happening? We're pretty civil in here, even if it does annoy me when people want flavor of the month characters when I've been supporting the King for Smash since before Melee.

Not that I'm opposed to new blood, either. I was big on Shulk suppoort because I enjoy that series, want to see it grow and like Monolith Soft, but it does annoy me to see people pass over some deserving, long ignored characters over stuff that's currently popular. But people like what they like, so more power to them.

I certainly don't tell people to stop voting for things they like, and I don't think anyone else here does.

RoseyBetch

Smash Journeyman
I voted for Ridley because I like him and I'm hopeful. Then I voted K Rool lol. If people want to vote for Shovel Knight, then more power to them. I know Ridley isn't getting in this game though, and I don't think Shovel Knight has a good shot either because he's not super closely tied with Nintendo, he's very recent in comparison to other contenders (Inklings aside), and he has hardly any popularity in Japan. You can be hopeful like I am with Ridley, but in my opinion, I don't see either him or Shovel Knight happening when K Rool is their competition.

CyberWolfBia

Smash Lord
NNID
CyberWolfJV
3DS FC
0130-2511-6417
Switch FC
SW-6209-5056-9218
Does anyone know if the Japanese virtual console has the DKC trilogy and DK64? Japan gets different VC games than the U.S, and I'm wondering if the DK games are up over there as well to expose them to King K. Rool.

Remember the kids born today have never played any of the classic games from the 90's. Remember even DK64 is 15 years old now having been released in 1999.
YES, they have ALL the games; Additionally, they got DK64 before the US too! (and they got the DKL trilogy on 3DS's VC waaaay before than anyone;.. I remember bringing the news here before E3 2014).

cybersai

Smash Ace
I'm still baffled how Smash U didn't have one new character to begin with. Dixie really should have been in the game by now and its ridiculous that Donkey Kong had no new reps this time around

Thelimomon

Smash Journeyman
Edit: Limomon, Shovel Knight shouldn't even be mentioned, let alone third parties. I don't care if they appeared on a Nintendo console, they aren't likely at all. This is why I mentioned 2006. It's getting out of hand and history is repeating itself. People need to be realistic with their choices and the indie devs who are openly coming out and saying their character should be in Smash have a lot of nerve.

A LOT of nerve.
Well, then we have a different opinion on this. I think people should vote for whoever they want, no matter how ridiculous it is.
May it be the Mask Salesman from Majora's Mask or a Goomba from the Mario series.
The important point about this is that it'd be way more honest than if you go by "some realistic" characters.

Also, I just wanted to point out that we sould stay kind to each other and their character choices, no matter how ridiculous their choices actual are.
(Well, Shrek and Goku still are debatable, but also a different case, because they aren't video game characters. And that should in my opinion be the only limitation.)

cybersai

Smash Ace
To each their own, but I'd rather vote for characters that are likely to make it in, (such as K Rool, Dixie, Isaac, Wolf, etc) than characters who I know have little to no chance and have my vote wasted.

BKupa666

Barnacled Boss
Courtesy is, of course, important, and everyone in here should remember that, lest "The Cult of Rool" be even more trashed on other forums...not that that'll ever really change some places, but still.

That being said, I do think it is fair game to call a spade a spade when, after a poll, the one or two characters who beat K. Rool are any combination of one-off, indie or Western-exclusive and, as such, all but guaranteed no-gos for the development team in trying to appeal to a broader audience.

Last edited:

bellboy64

Smash Journeyman
Courtesy is, of course, important, and everyone in here should remember that, lest "The Cult of Rool" be even more trashed on other forums...not that that'll ever really change some places, but still.

That being said, I do think it is fair game to call a spade a spade when, after a poll, the one or two characters who beat K. Rool are any combination of one-off, indie or Western-exclusive and, as such, all but guaranteed no-gos for the development team in trying to appeal to a broader audience.
That sounds kind of awesome. I'm going to make paper crown and worship it.
(Which I'll then upgrade to the inevitable King K. Rool amiibo.)

Last edited:

toadster101

Banned via Warnings
NNID
toadster101
3DS FC
1891-1323-0892

For the most part, I agree with you. But you have to keep in mind that this is a competition. Spots are limited, so some of the more hardcore fans on both sides of the aisle are going to be hostile. While I have strong feelings towards certain characters, in no way is that meant to be a slight against you, or anybody else who supports the characters in question. Verbal abuse is never acceptable. Nobody is a lesser person for supporting Baby Rosalina and Metal Waluigi, but when it comes to Smash, you have to learn to tolerate dissenting opinions. I probably would have offed myself by now if I took every anti K. Rool comment personally. :p

If I may ask, what was the beef with NeoGAF before? Some loud detractors?

I rarely go on there, though someone recently brought this up to me, which is why I'm kinda curious.
I don't like making generalizations, but some of their members are notoriously vocal regarding their hatred of K. Rool. One of their members recently compared us to a cult. Another claimed that K. Rool is too "gross" to be in the game. In other words, business as usual. Smash discussions on that forum are generally insufferable thanks to a few loudmouths... well, that applies to the whole site.

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=159132358&postcount=3091
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=159056143&postcount=2896

ChainArmour712

Smash Cadet
I think the truth is that the majority of fans who really care about the poll (ie: us) have an idea of several characters we would like to see in the game, and these lists are unique to each person. So, it doesn't make sense to bash other characters since most people have several dogs in the fight (barring Shrek and Goku trolls), for example, I have never even played a DK game and want K/ Rool to get in 'cause he's a cool character, but I also really want Wolf and Ray 01 as well. Ultimately we need to remember that Sakurai will make the choice so let's not start fights when they aren't necessary.

And, I don't know that much about the Kroc but unless he farts on enemies like somebody already in the game does then grossness should not be an issue (I don't like the farting but it's in anyway). I would like to see the bloodshotness gone in a K. Rool appearance though since it unnerves me, but that's my personal preference ;)

Last edited:

Icedragonadam

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW-5227-6397-6112
Ugh, Neogaf. Word of Advice, stay away from that site. And those "arguments" for not liking K Rool seem really petty. They have the right to not like them, as I have the right to go what for their "reasons"

Anyways, although some of the choices are questionable(mainly the western indie characters Japan hasn't heard of) I still respect those that vote for them simple as that. We can agree to disagree.

deleted

Smash Cadet
um do you guys think they will king k rool his costume from the country games as his alts

SuperiorYoshi87

Smash Lord
NNID
AVENGERxTHOR
um do you guys think they will king k rool his costume from the country games as his alts
Personally I don't think we'll see his alter egos as costumes if he gets in. Mainly because I feel like the Dev team isn't going to want to do all that extra work when they can just pallet swap him. IF were lucky we may get Kaptain K. Rool maybe. I atleast hope one of his alts has a golden belly to reference classic Rool. Which would auto be my chosen color of Kaptain K wasn't there.

ShinyRegice

Smash Lord
I already posted this in the general character discussion thread but because nobody replied to my post and I have a feeling it will be buried and forgotten, I'm going to post it here instead.
I know it may be a stupid question, but had the E3 event ever been used as a way to announce new DLCs for already released games? Because in my mind E3 has for purpose to announce new games or systems, and I don't know why, I don't imagine myself the event being used as a way to announce new DLCs... then again I guess Smash is big enough of a deal to get new DLC characters revealed at E3, especially if we're getting a third-party character. I honestly think if we don't get one at E3 we're not going to get any period. Wolf would also an obvious character to reveal at E3 alongside the new Starfox for obvious reasons.

dangeraaron10

Smash Master
Never let it be said that I couldn't play hardball.

Hello SmashBoard goers. First time here, primarily a Charizard main. Decided to throw my weight behind this so called K Rool character.

Banjodorf

Dynamic Duo
NNID
bluefalcon27
3DS FC
2105-8715-5493
My fellow Kutthroats!!! Trying to find a movie clip to state our time of RETRIBUTION!

And I think I found it: Sucks it wont let me just imbed it in..
http://www.tubechop.com/watch/5653836
Small Soldiers!! Oh man, that movie brings back so many memories from my childhood. I must've seen that about a hundred times.

But yeah. We can do this, kutthroats!

bellboy64

Smash Journeyman
http://i.imgur.com/AYzSIUM.gif

I'm getting a weird neon effect if I post it (black back, white lines), probably something to do with my transparency or something. I had no background when I saved it but anyway...

"Gators gonna g/hate" wip. Will probably make his arms bigger. I'm making a tail- don't worry. (You can sort of see it in some frames)

JaidynReiman

Smash Hero
NNID
JaidynReiman
YES, they have ALL the games; Additionally, they got DK64 before the US too! (and they got the DKL trilogy on 3DS's VC waaaay before than anyone;.. I remember bringing the news here before E3 2014).
Yeah, the Japanese got it lucky. They've gotten pretty much everything first that's DK-related. The only exception was King of Swing (they got it like a week or two after the US got it, even though it was ANNOUNCED for them first).

They even got Tropical Freeze a week before we did.

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
Well darn. Better give up everyone.
Bowser has been bigger than that before though. And again, Ridley in that pose is very misleading, he's probably as big as K.Rool, especially if you consider that his wings are much larger nowadays than in Super Metroid.

It's the overall scaling of Ridley that doesn't easily translate into a playable Smash fighter. Sakurai said so, so unless he pulls a :4villager:, it won't happen. Ever.

SmilingMad

Smash Lord

Bandana Dee and Paper Mario, their votes shouldn't be waved away so easily. Shovel Knight does have his problems, but they did explicitly state that you could basically suggest whatever. He still has a chance.
I pretty much agree with this.

KRUSH ALL THE KOMPETITION or something among those lines. Yeah, it's difficult to keep thinking straight once it becomes a race.

http://i.imgur.com/AYzSIUM.gif

I'm getting a weird neon effect if I post it (black back, white lines), probably something to do with my transparency or something. I had no background when I saved it but anyway...

"Gators gonna g/hate" wip. Will probably make his arms bigger. I'm making a tail- don't worry. (You can sort of see it in some frames)
Nice, keep up the good work.

JaidynReiman

Smash Hero
NNID
JaidynReiman
I do not think the odds are good for Shovel Knight or Shantae personally. I won't tell people not to support them, of course; people can support whoever they want. The issue with them is lack of Japanese support. Shantae has had four games, all on Nintendo consoles (well ok, one is still coming), but with no Japanese support at all that severely dampens her possibility, same with Shovel Knight.

The main issue with all these Indie's in general is numerous different characters are competing for the Indie vote... that's not good for Indie's who really need all the help they get, and of course, they'd really need Japanese support as well. Quote is the only popular Indie who has a worldwide audience, and honestly out of all Indie's he's probably the most deserving as Cave Story really set off the Indie market, and he's got plenty of Nintendo support as well.

Regardless, again, all Indie's compete with each other. Odds are good that only one third-party would be added as DLC, so third-parties, especially Indie's, have tough competition if they want to prove to Nintendo that it is worth all the efforts the licensing will require to get them in the game.

This, of course, is not a problem with the two main frontrunners I keep seeing online: King K. Rool and Isaac. I'm extremely hopeful right now that we could get both of them, they've been my top two sense the start, and a lot of Isaac fans have K. Rool as their #2 as well.

Just in case, I hope you know I didn't actually mean that. :p
Also, hello, Bellboy.
Yeah, I knew it was a joke. I was thinking of commenting on it but eh.

BowserK.Rool

Smash Champion
I didn't realize Donkey Kong 64 was among the first wave of Nintendo 64 titles for the Virtual Console. I'll make sure to check that out! I've deeply missed Lanky Kong. Sure he's got no style, he's got no grace, and he certainly has a funny face.
But he can hand-stand when he needs to and will stretch his arms out just for you!

I feel like the only thing I like more than orangutans are crocodiles. ;)
Inflate himself, just like a balloon, this crazy Kong just digs this tune huh!

Crocodiles are love, crocodiles are life.

To each their own, but I'd rather vote for characters that are likely to make it in, (such as K Rool, Dixie, Isaac, Wolf, etc) than characters who I know have little to no chance and have my vote wasted.
Same here.

DJ3DS

Smash Lord
3DS FC
0602-6256-9118
Is not any vote for a character other than K Rool wasted? :p

(This is where I really need that Gators Gonna Gate Gif)

Top Bottom