• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

K. Rool's Kremling Kutthroats: PM BKupa666 for an Invite to the New K. Rool Thread

NonSpecificGuy

The Extraordinary is in What We Do
Super Moderator
Premium
Writing Team
NNID
Goldeneye2674
3DS FC
0989-1770-6584
He's not spoiled, it's true that in this day and age not doing dlc for your most popular games is basically throwing out money.

If anyone is foolish enough and behind the times enough when it comes to player expectations these days its Nintendo, so I could see them not doing dlc, but that's just another reason to shake your head and say no wonder they're struggling these days
They're not really struggling. Sure Wii U isn't near as popular as the others, but Nintendo doesn't care about popularity, they care about what everyone should: fun. Nintendo will far outlast PS and Xbox if they keep their main goal as that.

toadster101

Banned via Warnings
NNID
toadster101
3DS FC
1891-1323-0892
They're not really struggling. Sure Wii U isn't near as popular as the others, but Nintendo doesn't care about popularity, they care about what everyone should: fun. Nintendo will far outlast PS and Xbox if they keep their main goal as that.
Caring about fun isn't going to keep their business afloat. That's not how it works. Nintendo's number one priority is to make money, and their profits have never been lower. The Wii U is the worst selling console they've ever released, and software sales are also below expectations. Struggling is an understatement. They should be doing everything they can to appease their dwindling fanbase, and yes, that includes releasing additional DLC. I'm sure Iwata has figured this out by now, but you never know...

NonSpecificGuy

The Extraordinary is in What We Do
Super Moderator
Premium
Writing Team
NNID
Goldeneye2674
3DS FC
0989-1770-6584
Caring about fun isn't going to keep their business afloat. That's not how it works. Nintendo's number one priority is to make money, and their profits have never been lower.Wii U is the worst selling console they've ever released, and software sales are also below expectations. Struggling is an understatement. They should be doing everything they can to appease their dwindling fanbase, and yes, that includes releasing additional DLC. I'm sure Iwata has figured this out by now, but you never know...
I think you missed my point. Yes, Nintendo's Wii U is struggling, the 3DS isn't. Fun is what matters, when Sony and Microsoft release their consoles focusing only on graphics and power it makes the industry look bad.
Wii U is the worst selling console they've ever released
Don't know if you're counting the 64DD or Virtual Boy but those bombed to hell. In the 64DD's case it was in development for nearly 6 years before it was released in extremely limited quantities.

its been awhile since i made some fanart but here you go

......this one is a gif of krool talking or biting(i tried to make it like the heads you see on the world map from the dkc games). sorry for the long empty bottom.

Last edited:

BowserK.Rool

Smash Champion
Would anyone like to see King K. Rool in any more Mario sports games or spinoffs too besides Mario Super Sluggers? I always wanted to play as him in a Mario Tennis or Mario Kart game. Maybe he could make a special appearance too on a DK board map in a Mario Party game. The Kremlings have been playable in previous Mario spinoffs too, not just Super Sluggers but also in Super Mario Strikers as well.

JaidynReiman

Smash Hero
NNID
JaidynReiman
Would anyone like to see King K. Rool in any more Mario sports games or spinoffs too besides Mario Super Sluggers? I always wanted to play as him in a Mario Tennis or Mario Kart game. Maybe he could make a special appearance too on a DK board map in a Mario Party game. The Kremlings have been playable in previous Mario spinoffs too, not just Super Sluggers but also in Super Mario Strikers as well.
I wouldn't mind it, but I think the reason why it doesn't happen is because even in spinoffs Bowser is the only "main antagonist" represented, and its intended that way on purpose. King K. Rool, however, still represents the "main antagonist" in all DK spinoffs that happen (except for Jungle Beat), and was planned to featured in additional cancelled games like Diddy Kong Pilot. So its definitely not out of the question for K. Rool to appear in those kinds of games, but Nintendo doesn't like him appearing alongside Bowser it seems. And recently, DK has been the only Donkey Kong character to appear in Mario spinoffs anyway.

They've repeatedly denied Diddy Kong appearing in Mario Party, he's been cut from Mario Kart, and although he is in Mario Golf World Tour its the only Mario sports spinoff Diddy has been in recently. I think they're going to try and bring back DK spinoffs and separate the franchises more, so only DK himself appears in Mario spinoffs, while all the DK characters (who numerous people keep saying have no connections to Mario at all except DK, which is true), will instead be kept exclusively in DK games and DK spinoffs, and I'd bet that there's a high chance of DK spinoffs to come back again.

BowserK.Rool

Smash Champion
I wouldn't mind it, but I think the reason why it doesn't happen is because even in spinoffs Bowser is the only "main antagonist" represented, and its intended that way on purpose. King K. Rool, however, still represents the "main antagonist" in all DK spinoffs that happen (except for Jungle Beat), and was planned to featured in additional cancelled games like Diddy Kong Pilot. So its definitely not out of the question for K. Rool to appear in those kinds of games, but Nintendo doesn't like him appearing alongside Bowser it seems. And recently, DK has been the only Donkey Kong character to appear in Mario spinoffs anyway.

They've repeatedly denied Diddy Kong appearing in Mario Party, he's been cut from Mario Kart, and although he is in Mario Golf World Tour its the only Mario sports spinoff Diddy has been in recently. I think they're going to try and bring back DK spinoffs and separate the franchises more, so only DK himself appears in Mario spinoffs, while all the DK characters (who numerous people keep saying have no connections to Mario at all except DK, which is true), will instead be kept exclusively in DK games and DK spinoffs, and I'd bet that there's a high chance of DK spinoffs to come back again.
That'd be great, DK could use more spinoffs again.

FalKoopa

Rainbow Waifu
BRoomer
3DS FC
1650-3685-3998
Switch FC
SW-5545-7990-4793
Yes, actually.

There's plenty of potential here, like Diddy Kong Racing, Mario Strikers and Donkey Konga (unless he appeared in that.) It may be because of Rare leaving, but the DK franchise has expanded into more genres, and I don't see anything bad with those co-existing alongside the main games.

Chances of him appearing in Mario spin-offs seems low though, given that Diddy Kong of all people was cut from Mario Kart 8. (Then again, Bowser Jr. was cut too, so maybe they are being saved for DLC.)

:231:

JaidynReiman

Smash Hero
NNID
JaidynReiman
Yes, actually.

There's plenty of potential here, like Diddy Kong Racing, Mario Strikers and Donkey Konga (unless he appeared in that.) It may be because of Rare leaving, but the DK franchise has expanded into more genres, and I don't see anything bad with those co-existing alongside the main games.

Chances of him appearing in Mario spin-offs seems low though, given that Diddy Kong of all people was cut from Mario Kart 8. (Then again, Bowser Jr. was cut too, so maybe they are being saved for DLC.)

I'd argue that maybe they're being saved for DLC... if it wasn't the fact that they have plenty of opportunites to add them but did not. Two DLC packs and they added THREE clone characters instead of Bowser Jr. and Diddy Kong. Diddy Kong was probably cut so they could differentiate the Mario and DK franchises more and probably expand DK with more spinoffs in the future (such as Diddy Kong Racing coming back), and Bowser Jr. was probably dropped because they added all the Koopalings and they may have felt that Bowser Jr. would be overkill.

FalKoopa

Rainbow Waifu
BRoomer
3DS FC
1650-3685-3998
Switch FC
SW-5545-7990-4793
I'd argue that maybe they're being saved for DLC... if it wasn't the fact that they have plenty of opportunites to add them but did not. Two DLC packs and they added THREE clone characters instead of Bowser Jr. and Diddy Kong. Diddy Kong was probably cut so they could differentiate the Mario and DK franchises more and probably expand DK with more spinoffs in the future (such as Diddy Kong Racing coming back), and Bowser Jr. was probably dropped because they added all the Koopalings and they may have felt that Bowser Jr. would be overkill.
It's hard to say. Personally I'd say Bowser Jr makes far more sense to include than Baby Rosalina, Pink Gold Peach or Tanooki Mario, but whatever. It's a topic for another thread.

Last edited:

JaidynReiman

Smash Hero
NNID
JaidynReiman
It's hard to say. Personally I'd say Bowser Jr makes far more sense to include than Baby Rosalina, Pink Gold Peach or Tanooki Mario, but whatever. It's a topic for another thread.

I totally agree. I don't really understand the logic. At the same time, Diddy's removal makes more sense. The only argument I can see for Bowser Jr. is that maybe they wanted Bowser Jr. to appear in Diddy Kong Racing as well. Assuming its in development.

Either way, I do think we'll see more DK spinoffs. Whether Diddy Kong Racing is one is up to debate.

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
I just want a Diddy Kong based spin off in general. Or something like a 3D action game with lots of fighting. Anything racing would also be awesome. Diddy Kong Racing especially, but DK Barrel Blast was also good. And man, I really kind of miss PAON's influence on the series! They brought back so much in the series what Retro Studios didn't even felt like including...

One thing being King K.Rool and the Kremlings for example...

Last edited:

JaidynReiman

Smash Hero
NNID
JaidynReiman
I just want a Diddy Kong based spin off in general. Or something like a 3D action game with lots of fighting. Anything racing would also be awesome. Diddy Kong Racing especially, but DK Barrel Blast was also good. And man, I really kind of miss PAON's influence on the series! They brought back so much in the series what Retro Studios didn't even felt like including...

One thing being King K.Rool and the Kremlings for example...
I liked Paon's fan service. However, King of Swing isn't actually that great of a game. Barrel Blast wasn't that great of a game either. They had tons of great fanservice, but the controls are wonky in both titles.

Diddy Kong Racing, on the other hand, was an amazing game that had a lackluster roster. Of course, the problem with Diddy Kong Racing is it was a new IP that Nintendo suggested Rare add Diddy Kong into the game to get it more exposure. So it went from being a new IP to a DK spinoff starring Diddy Kong, with none of the other characters being Donkey Kong related at all. A new Diddy Kong Racing game that actually featured others Kongs and perhaps even Kremlings would make me enjoy it far more than Mario Kart. The only reason I don't prefer Diddy Kong Racing to Mario Kart 64 is the character roster.

BowserK.Rool

Smash Champion
I liked Paon's fan service. However, King of Swing isn't actually that great of a game. Barrel Blast wasn't that great of a game either. They had tons of great fanservice, but the controls are wonky in both titles.

Diddy Kong Racing, on the other hand, was an amazing game that had a lackluster roster. Of course, the problem with Diddy Kong Racing is it was a new IP that Nintendo suggested Rare add Diddy Kong into the game to get it more exposure. So it went from being a new IP to a DK spinoff starring Diddy Kong, with none of the other characters being Donkey Kong related at all. A new Diddy Kong Racing game that actually featured others Kongs and perhaps even Kremlings would make me enjoy it far more than Mario Kart. The only reason I don't prefer Diddy Kong Racing to Mario Kart 64 is the character roster.
Well, unless you count Krunch the kremling who was also in Diddy Kong Racing.

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
Nah King of Swing played just fine on a GBA. You just really have to get used to the L & R control system, and movement on the ground isn't so fluid and rather slow, but Jungle Climber basically fixed all things what ever could be considered 'wrong' about King of Swing. It was easily one of my favorite GBA games. Jungle Climber, in fact is my favorite DS game. It even beats Diddy Kong Racing DS in that regard, even though I also love that game.

Diddy Kong Racing's cast was good enough I always felt. You had solid characters with Diddy, Banjo and Conker. Tiptup appearing in the Banjo series was also awesome. Yes, they could've done more, like adding Kazooie, more Kongs, but the idea was good. I bet that if Rare would've stayed around, we could've seen more evolution from the other racers from DKR.

JaidynReiman

Smash Hero
NNID
JaidynReiman
Nah King of Swing played just fine on a GBA. You just really have to get used to the L & R control system, and movement on the ground isn't so fluid and rather slow, but Jungle Climber basically fixed all things what ever could be considered 'wrong' about King of Swing. It was easily one of my favorite GBA games. Jungle Climber, in fact is my favorite DS game. It even beats Diddy Kong Racing DS in that regard, even though I also love that game.

Diddy Kong Racing's cast was good enough I always felt. You had solid characters with Diddy, Banjo and Conker. Tiptup appearing in the Banjo series was also awesome. Yes, they could've done more, like adding Kazooie, more Kongs, but the idea was good. I bet that if Rare would've stayed around, we could've seen more evolution from the other racers from DKR.
The probably with King of Swing isn't so much the control scheme. That was annoying, but its everything else.

Being on a GBA would not change:
A.) Extremely slow horizontal movement. If I miss my jump or angle it badly, I often fall all the way back to the bottom.

B.) Using a limited stock of items (bananas) for healing and other bonuses, and especially not restoring health when starting a new stage, that's just horrible design.

C.) Absolutely no checkpoints. This is really bad, especially alongside B.

King of Swing is a tedious grind to try and get through. If they fix the main problems I mentioned above, I have absolutely no problems with Paon continuing the pegboard games. If Jungle Climber did so I might consider picking it up myself. But I do not like King of Swing. I will beat it, but I do not like it.

Well, unless you count Krunch the kremling who was also in Diddy Kong Racing.
Krunch isn't an established character. Like the other characters, he was newly added. He was probably added as well to tie it slightly into DKC and so the addition of Diddy was evened out by the addition of Krunch.

Naglfarii

Smash Journeyman
You're delusional

BowserK.Rool

Smash Champion
The probably with King of Swing isn't so much the control scheme. That was annoying, but its everything else.

Being on a GBA would not change:
A.) Extremely slow horizontal movement. If I miss my jump or angle it badly, I often fall all the way back to the bottom.

B.) Using a limited stock of items (bananas) for healing and other bonuses, and especially not restoring health when starting a new stage, that's just horrible design.

C.) Absolutely no checkpoints. This is really bad, especially alongside B.

King of Swing is a tedious grind to try and get through. If they fix the main problems I mentioned above, I have absolutely no problems with Paon continuing the pegboard games. If Jungle Climber did so I might consider picking it up myself. But I do not like King of Swing. I will beat it, but I do not like it.

Krunch isn't an established character. Like the other characters, he was newly added. He was probably added as well to tie it slightly into DKC and so the addition of Diddy was evened out by the addition of Krunch.
But he IS a kremling according to his Diddy Kong Racing character profile.

BowserK.Rool

Smash Champion
Wasn't there some leaks and hacks posted here way back about ssb3-DS/wii u actually having future dlc content besides mewtwo? I remember someone posted an arrow sign once from the 3-ds version which was supposed to be a slide to another page of stages or something like that. Just wondering if there's been any more news on it being legit or not.

JaidynReiman

Smash Hero
NNID
JaidynReiman
No give me those likes.

They're mine.

;P
I downloaded both this and the Isaac one. Need to make a sig out of them.

Wasn't there some leaks and hacks posted here way back about ssb3-DS/wii u actually having future dlc content besides mewtwo? I remember someone posted an arrow sign once from the 3-ds version which was supposed to be a slide to another page of stages or something like that. Just wondering if there's been any more news on it being legit or not.
There have been hacks that hint at more DLC, yes. That doesn't mean there will be more DLC, but I'd say its a near-guarantee. Since the hacks, though, no info has arisen. Its just a waiting game right now.

ShinyRegice

Smash Lord
Almost at the end of DKC2... tried to finish it but lost all my lives against Kaptain K. Rool. And now I understand why I never managed to beat it. Toxic. Freaking. Tower. That level of all my nightmares I'm sure I've never beat as a child. Today I was stuck to it for a rather long times, getting at least four Game Overs for what I believe. Until I pressed all the buttons and eventually found Rattly's super jump ability. My child self can now forgive me.

Regardless, I absolutely loved that game. Donkey Kong Country was a cool game and made me feel a lot of nostalgia, but it really can't compare to DKC2 which is such a great game. It absolutely beats its predecessor both on the atmosphere and level design imo. I can honestly say it's my all-time favourite 2D platformer, and one of my all-time favourite games period. Also remember when I said that K. Rool's fight in DKC made me want him in Smash even more than I did before? Well, that DKC2 fight made me want him even more than DKC1 did. Especially because his blunderbuss gives so many ways to be creative with him.

I hope I'll have the time to create my in-depth King K. Rool moveset and finish it soon to post it here. I don't want it to be posted on the OP obviously because those spoiler boxes detailing K. Rool's potential are much better than a bunch of fan-made movesets, but I want to share my vision of him as a fighter in Smash regardless.

JaidynReiman

Smash Hero
NNID
JaidynReiman
Almost at the end of DKC2... tried to finish it but lost all my lives against Kaptain K. Rool. And now I understand why I never managed to beat it. Toxic. Freaking. Tower. That level of all my nightmares I'm sure I've never beat as a child. Today I was stuck to it for a rather long times, getting at least four Game Overs for what I believe. Until I pressed all the buttons and eventually found Rattly's super jump ability. My child self can now forgive me.

Regardless, I absolutely loved that game. Donkey Kong Country was a cool game and made me feel a lot of nostalgia, but it really can't compare to DKC2 which is such a great game. It absolutely beats its predecessor both on the atmosphere and level design imo. I can honestly say it's my all-time favourite 2D platformer, and one of my all-time favourite games period. Also remember when I said that K. Rool's fight in DKC made me want him in Smash even more than I did before? Well, that DKC2 fight made me want him even more than DKC1 did. Especially because his blunderbuss gives so many ways to be creative with him.

I hope I'll have the time to create my in-depth King K. Rool moveset and finish it soon to post it here. I don't want it to be posted on the OP obviously because those spoiler boxes detailing K. Rool's potential are much better than a bunch of fan-made movesets, but I want to share my vision of him as a fighter in Smash regardless.
His DKC3 boss is quite creative as well. I'd really like to see a boss fight that rather than making a brand new fight incorporated all of his fights into one.

JaidynReiman

Smash Hero
NNID
JaidynReiman
Guys, describe your dream Donkey Kong Country game.
Tropical Freeze with more Animal Buddies, more level themes, Kremlings as the main antagonists, K. Rool playable in an optional mode, K. Rool as the final boss with the boss battle mixing together elements from his past boss battles, all the Kongs playable solo, all the Kongs useful with their own additional elements, four-player coop option, David Wise remains doing the music.

Laniv

Smash Champion
Kremlings return, K. Rool returns in a prominent role (playable or boss), Lanky or Chunky return, David Wise returns, and Animal Buddies besides Rambi.

BowserK.Rool

Smash Champion
Kremlings return with King K. Rool being the main villain, more animal buddy's besides Rambi including Enguarde, Winky, and Rattley, the option to play as more than just one Kong solo and Cranky being cranky again. Also keep David Wise as the composer. Dixie, Lanky and Chunky return as playable Kongs too. And lastly, have Grant Kirkhope return to voice DK and whoever it was to voice Diddy and K. Rool again from DK64.

LIQUID12A

Smash Modder
NNID
LIQUID12A
3DS FC
0877-1606-0815
Metroid Prime Country.

War! King K. Rool has joined up with the evil forces of Ridley and the Space Pirates to terrorize the Kongs with vastly superior weaponry! Samus has tracked Ridley to Kong Island, and in the interest of defeating both foes, teams up with the Kongs in the new 2.5D platformer from Retro Studios...

...what? Too unlikely? :p

JaidynReiman

Smash Hero
NNID
JaidynReiman
Metroid Prime Country.

War! King K. Rool has joined up with the evil forces of Ridley and the Space Pirates to terrorize the Kongs with vastly superior weaponry! Samus has tracked Ridley to Kong Island, and in the interest of defeating both foes, teams up with the Kongs in the new 2.5D platformer from Retro Studios...

...what? Too unlikely? :p
I wouldn't mind Kaptain K. Rool in space honestly... :D

I mean, I like to associate Star Fox, F-Zero, and Metroid with one another for all being set in space. It could happen. Then recall that Tricky from Star Fox Adventures first appearing in Diddy Kong Racing... and K. Rool has gone into space before (Jungle Climber)...

BowserK.Rool

Smash Champion
Does anyone else think Donkey Kong has the potential for a party game of it's own? Seeing K. Rool actually going around stealing your coins and Golden bananas(as DK versions for Stars) would be pretty fun and he could say something funny and witty similar to his character from the DKC TV Show.

Top Bottom