• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

K. Rool's Kremling Kutthroats: PM BKupa666 for an Invite to the New K. Rool Thread

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Somewhere out there on this big blue marble
please don't infect the k rool thread with puns as well, we already have more than enough on the isaac thread
Does this mean I'll get pun-ished?
you are isaaKtly right,lets keep the puns out of this thread. :)
feex~
According to Miyamoto, Retro now has the manpower to work on multiple games at once. Maybe something DKC-related will be one of them?

Of course, given the gaming media's collective whining over "another damn Donkey Kong Country," it's probably a safe bet that one of those projects will be something different.
I absolutely love the Metroid Prime trilogy and would marry it and have babies, I never really cared too much about DK and forgot to add Tropical Freeze on the list of Wii U games I'd like to try. But goddamn, these people are the definition of whiny brats

Frostwraith

The Demon King
NNID
Frostwraith357
It's funny. . .Smashboards' common perception of Japan seems to be that it's some bizarre wonderland where everyone loves Dark Pit and a million random shock characters and hates the West's "boring" requests, because reasons.
Last I checked, DKC is popular in Japan (despite being mostly Western developed), so it's not that surprising to see King K. Rool being wanted over there as well.

Between K. Rool and Dixie, the former is more popular and unique. I mean, reptilian villain vs. Kong #3. No contest here, I'd say.

As a matter of fact, Dark Pit is more popular in Japan than in the West, even having merchandise of him over there and all. That, and considering that Pichu is among their most wanted characters, I get the feeling the Japanese aren't as opposed to clones as most people in the West, where few want Pichu back and that's precisely due to him being a clone.

Nope. We're actually not that different after all. The one notable bit is that they really don't like cut veterans even moreso than us, to the point where even Pichu has people actively wanting him back. Also, whereas Wolf and Lucas are our top two in that order, it's the reverse according to this poll.
Considering the results from polls and such, it's undeniable that Wolf, Lucas and K. Rool would be the best additions to the roster in the sense they would please the most people worldwide.

Yomi's Biggest Fan

See You Next Year, Baby
NNID
Takamaru64
3DS FC
1375-7346-9605
Switch FC
SW-8277-6509-2593
And here I want both a Retro made DKC and Metroid game.
I can easily get behind this since it will be a way to satisy both kamps, especially the Metoid fans that wanted a proper Prime successor one day. Not to mention we can finally see Retro made that kool model of our favorite Korrupt King one day and give him some of the same wacky actions as Lord W. Alrus Frederick.

NNID
Ridleylash
3DS FC
1736-1657-3905
Last I checked, DKC is popular in Japan (despite being mostly Western developed), so it's not that surprising to see King K. Rool being wanted over there as well.

Between K. Rool and Dixie, the former is more popular and unique. I mean, reptilian villain vs. Kong #3. No contest here, I'd say.

As a matter of fact, Dark Pit is more popular in Japan than in the West, even having merchandise of him over there and all. That, and considering that Pichu is among their most wanted characters, I get the feeling the Japanese aren't as opposed to clones as most people in the West, where few want Pichu back and that's precisely due to him being a clone.

Considering the results from polls and such, it's undeniable that Wolf, Lucas and K. Rool would be the best additions to the roster in the sense they would please the most people worldwide.
Ridley's also surprisingly popular in Japan for being a Metroid character; especially since Metroid has always sold better in America and not Japan. I think the most requested characters in Brawl were K.Rool, Ridley, Sonic, Mega Man and King Dedede, if I'm remembering correctly; with Ridley only being beaten by Dedede by one percent (Ridley having 4 separate requests, while Dedede had five). With Ridley being so highly requested to be playable, even for the new Smash game, means that obviously the "too big" sentiment is also a Western thing, as well.

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Ridley's also surprisingly popular in Japan for being a Metroid character; especially since Metroid has always sold better in America and not Japan. I think the most requested characters in Brawl were K.Rool, Ridley, Sonic, Mega Man and King Dedede, if I'm remembering correctly; with Ridley only being beaten by Dedede by one percent (Ridley having 4 separate requests, while Dedede had five). With Ridley being so highly requested to be playable, even for the new Smash game, means that obviously the "too big" sentiment is also a Western thing, as well.
that reminds me, the japanese miiverse was visited by some Ridley supporters, turns out a lot of people either want him, dislike his current role or are neutral, they only argument heard was that his brutal, sadistic violent nature would be a hinderance (Take notes Sakurai, make him brutally aggressive). I think this should be tried out with K.Rool

4theRECORD

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
2878-9708-8635
Well, we know that Metroid is a popular franchise worldwide.
We also know that Ridley is a recurring character within that franchise.

For the most part, we certainly aren't opposed to Ridley's inclusion as a character. I mean, we did get four FE reps, Palutena, and Shulk. Really can't complain.
By the way, the too big argument does exist. In fact, it's probably bigger here because not many people have played the franchise in the first place, therefore most people just see Ridley as too big and just leave it there.

TheDarkKnightNoivern

Smash Master

In dixie's defense, I'd say she brings a more unique playstyle than K. Rool revolving around a great aerial game with a surprising amount of range. K Rool, despite being visully unique doesn't bring much that Bowser and Dedede already haven't.

Last edited:

BKupa666

Barnacled Boss
By the same token, isn't Diddy already aerially dominant (HOO HA) with a lot of range? Visual similarity =/= similar playstyle (hello, Rosalina!)

NNID
Ridleylash
3DS FC
1736-1657-3905
Eeeh....King K.Rool's got more possible moves than Dixie, though, since he also has Kaptain K.Rool, Baron K.Roolenstein and King Krusha K. Rool's moves as options, while Dixie has variations on "attack with hair" and "attack with appendages" as move options. :p At best, Dixie would just be a Diddy clone with hair-based moves and maybe a different Neutral B attack.

Plus, K.Rool's among the most requested newkomers, and Dixie is not...so I wouldn't mind if K.Rool got in instead of Dixie.

Last edited:

Schnee117

Too Majestic for Gender
Switch FC
6660-1506-8804
Eeeh....King K.Rool's got more possible moves than Dixie, though, since he also has Kaptain K.Rool, Baron K.Roolenstein and King Krusha K. Rool's moves as options, while Dixie has variations on "attack with hair" and "attack with appendages" as move options. :p At best, Dixie would just be a Diddy clone with hair-based moves and maybe a different Neutral B attack.

Plus, K.Rool's among the most requested newkomers, and Dixie is not...so I wouldn't mind if K.Rool got in instead of Dixie.
Dixie could use her guitar as well?

TheDarkKnightNoivern

Smash Master
By the same token, isn't Diddy already aerially dominant (HOO HA) with a lot of range? Visual similarity =/= similar playstyle (hello, Rosalina!)
I'm more referring to characters like peach who's whole playstyle mostly revolves around being in the air. Diddy is pretty good in both aspects (Why hasn't he been nerfed yet?)

I have a feeling K Rools various forms will be used for specials only though. I see their extent being a copter pack, a blunderbuss shot and maybe a jab or a couple tilts using boxing gloves. That's about it with the rest being made up, I don't see them going all out with it

Last edited:

Oracle_Summon

Smash Hero
By that same token, King K. Rool is one to not fight fairly, which is something that nobody in SSB4 has yet to do. You may say Wario, but he fights more dirty (bad pun I know and I apologize) and uses his bodily fluids to help him out.

I see King K. Rool as a heavy character with sneaky type moves that covers a wide array of options.

Last edited:

BKupa666

Barnacled Boss
By that same token, King K. Rool is one to not fight fairly, which is something that nobody in SSB4 has yet to do. You may say Wario, but he fights more dirty (bad pun I know and I apologize) and uses his bodily fluids to help him out.

I see King K. Rool as a heavy character with sneaky type moves that covers a wide array of options.
Reminds me of my analysis in the OP's playstyle section.

Bringing this discussion back to K. Rool, this frame is why I feel he doesn't fit the "big, strong heavyweight" mold in the slightest. Oh, sure, he'd be a big character with a few strong moves, but is that really what the character is all about? No. What sets K. Rool apart from the Bowsers of the Nintendoverse is the sheer cunning he employs, both with his plots and his boss fight weapons, as opposed to him just muscling his way through life.

This is a guy who lulls you into a false sense of security with false Kredits, who whittles your health down with projectile barrages before reversing your controls so you finish yourself off, who sneaks up on you while invisible, who zaps the floor to force you into close quarters with him. He manipulates every aspect of the environment around him (polluting it in the process), stopping at nothing to ultimately emerge victorious.

BowserK.Rool

Smash Champion
GAMESPOT DID IT AGAIN. THEY SAID A NINTENDO GAME WAS BAD BECAUSE TOO HARD!
It was goddamn Kirby this time tho
They must hate every NES and SNES game too. We should tie them all up and make them play every hard Nintendo game and force them to beat it just for our own amusement.

Last edited:

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
They must hate every NES and SNES game too. We should tie them all up and make them play every hard Nintendo game and force them to beat it just for our own amusement.
Here's the thing. It's goddamn Kirby this time. As in, the easy kiddy game. You can also see the woman played terribly and is blaming the game for it. "I TOOK DAMAGE IN DARK SOULS WORST GAME EVER" is basically the same thing. If you can't even play Kirby well, hand in your gaming honour, you are a disgrace to us, now she has to get her bum back to farmville or something

BowserK.Rool

Smash Champion
Here's the thing. It's goddamn Kirby this time. As in, the easy kiddy game. You can also see the woman played terribly and is blaming the game for it. "I TOOK DAMAGE IN DARK SOULS WORST GAME EVER" is basically the same thing. If you can't even play Kirby well, hand in your gaming honour, you are a disgrace to us, now she has to get her bum back to farmville or something
Kirby isn't necessarily easy, even I'm still having some difficulty finding all those stars in the levels of kirby:dream deluxe but I still find it fun and keep playing it at the same time. Also, I hate when people call Kirby, Mario, DK and other cartoon animated games "kiddy games" just because of their graphics when they never have even played or beaten them. I mean, I like "Awesome" realistic graphic games too but only because they're good. I guess they're just jealous because Nintendo has more popular and loved franchises of it's own than Sony and Microsoft.

Last edited:

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Kirby isn't necessarily easy, even I'm still having some difficulty finding all those stars in the levels of kirby:dream deluxe but I still find it fun and keep playing it at the same time. Also, I hate when people call Kirby, Mario, DK and other cartoon animated games just because of their graphics when they never have even played or beaten them. I mean, I like "Awesome" realistic graphic games too but only because they're good. I guess they're just jealous because Nintendo has more popular and loved franchises of it's own than Sony and Microsoft.
Kirby is my favourite franchise, so I'm not hating~
Jim Sterling said it best, Kirby is easy to stroll through unless you want to get everything, then it's pretty challenging

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
Question: would a GameCube adaptar bought in the US be comptatible with a PAL Wii U? Asking cause Kuttroaths are the smartest people after all.

toadster101

Banned via Warnings
NNID
toadster101
3DS FC
1891-1323-0892
As encouraging as these poll results are, I don't think they matter in the long run. Ultimately Sakurai will always have the final say. It doesn't matter how popular, how relevant, or how unique a character is. Sakurai convinced himself three games ago that Ridley is nothing more than a hulking beast who doesn't deserve to be a playable character, despite the overwhelming demand from fans for his inclusion. Until Sakurai is out of the picture, or until Retro "redesigns" K. Rool for a feature DKC game, I wouldn't expect anything. We must continue raising awareness for K. Rool by convincing your average forum dwellers that he brings a lot to the table. However, even if we do garner a tremendous amount of support, there are no guarantees that K. Rool will be deemed "worthy" by the only person who matters. Contacting the man himself via Twitter may be our only option.

PushDustIn

Salt Lord
BRoomer
Writing Team
NNID
PushDustIn
3DS FC
3695-0954-3750
Speaking of the poll results; I finished collecting data. King K. Rool is by far the most desired newcomer for DLC. However, almost all the cut veterans outrank him.

PushDustIn

Salt Lord
BRoomer
Writing Team
NNID
PushDustIn
3DS FC
3695-0954-3750
Unless I'm reading that incorrectly, Krystal beats him by .2%.
Crap, I accidentally switched the values for Crystal and King K. Rool when I made that graph (as I cut out some characters that were barely mentioned). Let me fix it.
EDIT:

Last edited:

Oracle_Summon

Smash Hero
As encouraging as these poll results are, I don't think they matter in the long run. Ultimately Sakurai will always have the final say. It doesn't matter how popular, how relevant, or how unique a character is. Sakurai convinced himself three games ago that Ridley is nothing more than a hulking beast who doesn't deserve to be a playable character, despite the overwhelming demand from fans for his inclusion. Until Sakurai is out of the picture, or until Retro "redesigns" K. Rool for a feature DKC game, I wouldn't expect anything. We must continue raising awareness for K. Rool by convincing your average forum dwellers that he brings a lot to the table. However, even if we do garner a tremendous amount of support, there are no guarantees that K. Rool will be deemed "worthy" by the only person who matters. Contacting the man himself via Twitter may be our only option.
I see polls as a means to see how your character's support stands nationally and used to pass time.

It never hurts to remind and show people the uniqueness that King K. Rool carries. For the Ridley fans, I will say that Sakurai is their main obstacle. As for the King K. Rool fans, Sakurai has not posted his stance on him yet.

Last edited:

BKupa666

Barnacled Boss
At this point that kind of stuff coming from Kotaku, Gamespot and IGN are expected.
Reminds me of when Cranky Kong took over Nintendo's official Twitter around Tropical Freeze's release. A fan asked him how old he was.

He replied "Old enough to remember when falling in a pit in a platformer was called 'lack of skill' and not 'cheap.'" A great dig at those hack reviewers who masked their personal biases by complaining about difficulty.

Xzsmmc

Smash Champion
I don't see why difficulty is considered a bad thing, as long as it's not due to poor game design (Lookin' at you Mega Man X6). It makes a game last longer, and it's much more satisfying to finish a game that gave you some trouble than just plow through one.

Tropical Freeze has great design, and no cheap or badly designed section that I can remember. Every hard bit is designed around the way the game is played. It reminds me a lot of Castlevania 1 in that regard.

JaidynReiman

Smash Hero
NNID
JaidynReiman

What the F*** DID I JUST WATCH?!

WOW... some people... damn.... And we all thought K. Rool was crazy!

Top Bottom