• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

K. Rool's Kremling Kutthroats: PM BKupa666 for an Invite to the New K. Rool Thread

Altais

Smash Champion
Starbase, where no turtle has gone before.
My my, quite the crowd in here.

Anyhow, if we ever do get a Donkey Kong newcomer as downloadable content, King K.Rool would definitely be mine pick, as I think he would be the most unique in terms of both appearance and moveset. Personally, I only see Dixie Kong being a Luigified version of Diddy Kong.

Since I've only played Donkey Kong Country 1, 2, and 3, I don't know too much about K.Rool, though I could see him being a very quirky fighter.

Last edited:

LawofDeath

Smash Apprentice
NNID
LawofDe4th
3DS FC
3480-3867-8012
My my, quite the crowd in here.

Anyhow, if we ever do get a Donkey Kong newcomer as downloadable content, King K.Rool would definitely be mine pick, as I think he would be the most unique in terms of both appearance and moveset. Personally, I only see Dixie Kong being a Luigified version of Diddy Kong.

Since I've only played Donkey Kong Country 1, 2, and 3, I don't know too much about K.Rool, though I could see him being a very quirky fighter.
DKC trilogy is all you need to know of to see King K. Rool having a lot of potential being a playable characters. Of course other games with his inclusion offers more options (such as DK64.)

Wintropy

Peace and love and all that jazzmatazz~! <3
NNID
Winterwhite
3DS FC
1461-6253-6301
Uggh the more I play these games the more I fall in love with them.

If K. Rool is in the next Returns game, I will cry and purchase it immediately and THAT IS A PROMISE ALRIGHT?

Last edited:

Wintropy

NNID
Winterwhite
3DS FC
1461-6253-6301
LIES! You can't purchase it immediately if it's announced before release!
My love for the King bends time and space itself, I am inexorable.

Do you think K. Rool works better with a speaking role or a non-verbal role? In the original trilogy, he talks in the same way the the other Kongs do (through text and vocal sounds), but in the Returns games, everybody seems to communicate through expression and gesture. I think the latter actually works extremely well in the context of the series: it creates a sense of fantastical intrigue and really allows the characters' physical attributes to shine through. It's great that you can tell an entire story without any dialogue whatsoever and it really does evoke the ineffable charm and delight of these wonderful characters.

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Somewhere out there on this big blue marble
My love for the King bends time and space itself, I am inexorable.

Do you think K. Rool works better with a speaking role or a non-verbal role? In the original trilogy, he talks in the same way the the other Kongs do (through text and vocal sounds), but in the Returns games, everybody seems to communicate through expression and gesture. I think the latter actually works extremely well in the context of the series: it creates a sense of fantastical intrigue and really allows the characters' physical attributes to shine through. It's great that you can tell an entire story without any dialogue whatsoever and it really does evoke the ineffable charm and delight of these wonderful characters.
Verbal speech is better to me, Grant Kirkhope or whatever his name was sounds better than ONK

D

Deleted member

hey fellas, how can i join the kremling kuttthroat skype group? my skype name is awesomecauli68
I have added you on Skype. Just add me and I can place you in the group.

Speaking of which, anyone that has Skype that wants to be part of the group should add me and I'll get you added to the group.

BKupa666

Barnacled Boss
Bump.

Something I've been thinking over. . ."chances" aside, how many people would honestly prefer K. Rool to become DLC before becoming main villain of a DKC game again? As much as I'd like to see him back ASAP, I find myself thinking K. Rool's first appearance back should be of glorious magnitude. . .main villain, not a mere DLC character in a roster of 50+ or even a spin-off game character (e.g. villain in DKRU). If, hypothetically, both roles were guaranteed for him, I'd go with the main villain role first in a heartbeat. Thoughts?

Also, I'm in the process of updating the OP. . .I'll most likely be collapsing the old one into a single tab, then posting/writing up a new one specifically geared toward our character as a DLC candidate.

NonSpecificGuy

The Extraordinary is in What We Do
Super Moderator
Premium
Writing Team
NNID
Goldeneye2674
3DS FC
0989-1770-6584
Bump.

Something I've been thinking over. . ."chances" aside, how many people would honestly prefer K. Rool to become DLC before becoming main villain of a DKC game again? As much as I'd like to see him back ASAP, I find myself thinking K. Rool's first appearance back should be of glorious magnitude. . .main villain, not a mere DLC character in a roster of 50+ or even a spin-off game character (e.g. villain in DKRU). If, hypothetically, both roles were guaranteed for him, I'd go with the main villain role first in a heartbeat. Thoughts?

Also, I'm in the process of updating the OP. . .I'll most likely be collapsing the old one into a single tab, then posting/writing up a new one specifically geared toward our character as a DLC candidate.
Character in smash first. It'll boost his popularity even higher than it already is, making Nintendo/Retro notice, making his appearance in the next Donkey Kong Country game inevitable.

Raxxel

Hipster Heavyweight Champ
NNID
RaxxelAintHappy
3DS FC
2921-9637-8816
I would go with... DKC actually. It would shut up muh relevancies, and leave him still a candidate for dlc, due to how long the lifespan of this game will be. I don't think we will be seeing DKC in this year's E3 though, if Retro were to announce anything, it would either be the rumored DKRU, or a new Metroid game, the latter due to the high demand for another Prime game.

Last edited:

LawofDeath

Smash Apprentice
NNID
LawofDe4th
3DS FC
3480-3867-8012
Very, very hard to say. I really always wanted him playable more than just being a villain. I suppose I'd rather have him in smash DLC. As NonSpecificGuy and Raxxel said, either way would boost his popularity and "relevancy" which would increase his chances as DLC or an upcoming villain in a game. My preference would be DLC first since as stated, I always want him to be playable, especially in smash where All-time greatest Nintendo characters battle it out.

IMainKingKRool

Smash Journeyman
NNID
NYEH_HEH_HEH
I suppose DKC would be my preferred option, it being the series he never should have left. Plus it would pretty much make K. Rool all but inevitable for Smash, since the "muh relevance" argument would be invalidated and his fame would most likely skyrocket.

Now that I've addressed the conversation at hand, I'm going to go a bit off topic, heh. Was flipping through some old Miiverse posts of mine just for giggles, and came across some of my K. Rool support drawings. They're never gonna be seen by anyone on there again, so I wanted to slap 'em on here so someone would see 'em.

Wintropy

NNID
Winterwhite
3DS FC
1461-6253-6301
I suppose DKC would be my preferred option, it being the series he never should have left. Plus it would pretty much make K. Rool all but inevitable for Smash, since the "muh relevance" argument would be invalidated and his fame would most likely skyrocket.

Now that I've addressed the conversation at hand, I'm going to go a bit off topic, heh. Was flipping through some old Miiverse posts of mine just for giggles, and came across some of my K. Rool support drawings. They're never gonna be seen by anyone on there again, so I wanted to slap 'em on here so someone would see 'em.

Those are adorable and hilarious. Thanks for sharing them with us~

Zynux

Smash Lord
If I had to choose, I would definitely pick him going back to DKC over him being in Smash.

Last edited:

RobinOnDrugs

Your Friendly Neighborhood Scavenger
I'm torn between King K. Rool and Dixie Kong as the next DK representative for Smash Bros. It kinda surprises me that one of them isn't in yet.

Also, if K. Rool appears in the next DKC game, you can bet that minds will be blown!

Rattle-Kalimba

Smash Apprentice
I'm playing again DK64 and I see in this game how awesome KKR was back in the glory Rareware-Days. RW knew how to use KKR correctly. Of course, he was their character. Nintendo really has no clue how to use him. In the last games they used him, they turned KKR in another Bowser-Clone.

KingZing

Smash Journeyman
I'm playing again DK64 and I see in this game how awesome KKR was back in the glory Rareware-Days. RW knew how to use KKR correctly. Of course, he was their character. Nintendo really has no clue how to use him. In the last games they used him, they turned KKR in another Bowser-Clone.
Woah, what happened, I though you were a hater. Oh well the more Kutthroats the merrier. :)

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

Bump.

I have no strong feelings one way or the other. Just as long as both eventually happen.

StubbyDK

Smash Journeyman
I'd want him back in DKC first, as someone else here said it would be better to have him as the big villain in his respective game instead of having his first major appearance in years being DLC. If he's in DKCR3, what outfit would he have? I think he would either stay a psychopathic king or get something new as he did in every game, but I can't think of any new personality he would have :/

D

Deleted member

K. Rool supposedly dropped the alternate identity game (though same game where that was stated introduced us to King Krusha K. Rool the boxer). It seems to have sticked, since every other game since where K. Rool shows up, he's just using his old king persona.
Though he might go for an Egyptian theme if Sluggers is any indication. Tutan K. Rool, anyone?

BKupa666

Barnacled Boss
Okay, so I've gone and revamped the OP in its entirety to make it more concise and, thus, approachable for any potential readers.

Since it's K. Rool's uniqueness that I think really needs to be hammered home in an era where Sakurai is vaguely claiming that "some popular and famous characters aren't unique fighters," I've taken a new approach to conveying that. Rather than just listing a bunch of movesets, I'm laying out every individual source of potential K. Rool has to offer, then exploring the multiple options for moves that exist within each source (i.e. different sorts and trajectories of blunderbuss cannonballs). The idea is that, somewhere in the mix, people will see something that piques their interest in the character, which is preferable to just hoping they like a specific moveset.

I'll start working on it bit by bit over the coming days and weeks. In its current iteration, anyone have any feedback or suggestions to offer?

Dre89

Smash Hero
NNID
Dre4789
Calm down dude! DK does have some of the better remixes, and we all are pissed
DK's music selection is as bad as the general scale of rep we got. This is even ignoring the fact we got 8 remixes of one song and had 2 kongs cut from the DK rap. With the exception of the original jungle tracks and Stickerbrush Symphony, the rest of the music is all Mario-fied crap that doesnt accurately represent DK music and why it's so acclaimed. Instead they try to make the music resemble that of a franchise whose music isn't really acclaimed at all.

Rattle-Kalimba

Smash Apprentice
Woah, what happened, I though you were a hater. Oh well the more Kutthroats the merrier. :)
I'm not a hater. I like KKR, but I do not see him as a true Nintendo Character. I mean Nintendo really has no idea how to use him correctly, so they just turned him into another cheep Bowser Ripoff. KKR is just like Rareware themselves: crazy, whacky and insane, which Nintendo isn't. Nintendo goes more in the cute, nice and fantasy direction.

I mean when was the last time, we have seen anything whacky from a DK-Game? Okay, some of the snowmads are a bit whacky like Bashmaster, Ba-Boom or even Lord Fredrik, but their still not on the same level of insanity like KKR and his goons. Their all gone. When was the last time we have seen the other Kremlings? Where are Krusha, Klump, Kasplat, Kopter, Kosha, Ka-Boom and so on? Where are they? Where is Chunky, probably the most whacky and funniest Kong of the bunch? Where are Cranky's cranky dialogs? Where are Lanky and Tiny? Where is all the wackiness?

Don't get me wrong, DKC:TF is an amazing beautiful game with an awesome soundtrack, but DKC:TF and DKCR feat more the newer DKC-Games and also come closer to Nintendo's idea of game design.

KKR and the Kremlings and also the other crazy ideas and characters like Chunky are more Rareware idea of design.

Rattle-Kalimba

Smash Apprentice
I'd want him back in DKC first, as someone else here said it would be better to have him as the big villain in his respective game instead of having his first major appearance in years being DLC. If he's in DKCR3, what outfit would he have? I think he would either stay a psychopathic king or get something new as he did in every game, but I can't think of any new personality he would have :/
Maybe it's because I liked to watch The Flinstones back in my days, but I really would like to see KKR and his goons as cavemen / cave-crocs in a new DKC-Game.

Also I had
he same idea with Tutan K. Rool:

Last edited:

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Somewhere out there on this big blue marble
DK's music selection is as bad as the general scale of rep we got. This is even ignoring the fact we got 8 remixes of one song and had 2 kongs cut from the DK rap. With the exception of the original jungle tracks and Stickerbrush Symphony, the rest of the music is all Mario-fied crap that doesnt accurately represent DK music and why it's so acclaimed. Instead they try to make the music resemble that of a franchise whose music isn't really acclaimed at all.
DK has a jazzy feel from what I've heard, and Gear Getaway remix was good! Metroid fans are peeved aswell!

BKupa666

Barnacled Boss
Character Traits and Character Playstyle sections have been updated in the OP. Next stop, the moves themselves.

BravadoMan_13

Smash Lord
NNID
ClassicRocker
Bump.

This is a hard choice quite honestly. The King in Smash as a playable character among Nintendo's greats is sure to give him more exposure to those who are unfamiliar with K. Rool or the DK series in general. If that happens, his appearance as the main villain in the next DKC game would be inevitable at that point.

On the other hand, putting K. Rool back in the DKC series first would end the "muh relevancy" arguments (technically both would). He would be back in the place where he belongs after so many years, as the main villain of the series. It would help boost his popularity as well and more people will support the King for Smash.

I would prefer to see him in the next Donkey Kong Country game first, but I would love to see him in the big stage of Smash too. I think both will happen eventually and hopefully it does.

BKupa666

Barnacled Boss
Forgot to mention, if anyone has anything they want me to bring up in my moveset writeups for the OP, let me know and I'll try my best to incorporate it.

Top Bottom