• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

K. Rool's Kremling Kutthroats: PM BKupa666 for an Invite to the New K. Rool Thread

Tortilla Noggin

Smash Obsessed
NOW, K. Rool.

What would you want his "Persona" in DKCR3 to be?
Kowboy! I always wanted to see that in "DKC4" for the N64, before we ultimately waited years and only got a slightly surreal re-skinned Banjo game that didn't share the same spirit or tone.

That aside, Secret Agent or Spaceman would be fun, too. :laugh:

But, that said...

I'd honestly be okay with King or Kaptain this time 'round.

King is his most iconic design and would be fitting for a grand return.

Kaptain is nearly as iconic and I can see Retro redesigning K. Rool into Nintendo's "dread pirate" villain to steer clear of the "evil king" cliché.
I agree with this, too. New personas can wait until after he's returned.

And I must say, I do like the idea of refocussing K. Rool into being more of a pirate king... That style always looked really good on him, and it would diversify the animal-characters side of Nintendo's royalty a bit, as per this old quote I remembered from @dangeraaron10;

I dunno I just think his Kaptain persona is his most intimidating one. Bowser's a more demonic lava castle king, Dedede is more of an oriental king, K. Rool is the scourge of the seven seas.
I really like that idea.

Freduardo

Smash Champion
Last thing to say.
The parents of that child sued Toonami for airing the show (which was PG-13 and played in the late evenings) and won, which is what caused it to be shut down for a few years.

NOW, K. Rool.

Magnate K. RockerRool - An industrialist business robber baron trying to replace Donkey Kong Country with an oil field.

Katana Rool - A Ninja or Samurai variant (Donkey Kong will have to fill the role of the opposite one in this fight, either Ninja Kong or Samurai Kong, whatever Rool isn't).

MeKkaRool - K. Rool does his best Eggman impression and builds a mech version of himself for DK to fight. Yeah he already did mad scientist, but this is less horror themed.

SuperKremling or The Green Tyrant - Either have him ripoff Superman or the Green Goblin, with DK either being himself or being Spider Kong depending on which route Rool goes.

Last edited:

Laniv

Smash Champion
Random thought: what if K. Rool got in, and he was voiced by Jim Cummings?

Wintropy

Peace and love and all that jazzmatazz~! <3
NNID
Winterwhite
3DS FC
1461-6253-6301
Kaptain fits the essence of the series, too.

Super Mario takes place in a fantasy fairy-tale world of mushrooms and castles, so the villain is a big evil dragon king in a dark castle.

Kirby takes place in a whimsical dream world that's cute and doesn't make much rational sense, so the villain is a big happy penguin (because why not?), and the Eastern design distinguishes him from the typical "evil king".

Zelda takes place in a swords 'n' sorcery fantasy world, so the villain is an evil magic warrior with dark powers.

DK takes place in a world of tropical islands populated by talking animals, so the villain is a kold-blooded krocodile pirate.

Context, yo~ :3

Tortilla Noggin

Smash Obsessed
Random thought: what if K. Rool got in, and he was voiced by Jim Cummings?
That is certainly very random. :laugh: My first thought here gives rise to another K. Rool persona, since Jim Cummings provided the singing voice of Chief Powhatan in Disney's Pocahontas. It's too similar in execution to the short-lived Aztec-style look, though, I guess.

Kaptain fits the essence of the series, too.

Super Mario takes place in a fantasy fairy-tale world of mushrooms and castles, so the villain is a big evil dragon king in a dark castle.

Kirby takes place in a whimsical dream world that's cute and doesn't make much rational sense, so the villain is a big happy penguin (because why not?), and the Eastern design distinguishes him from the typical "evil king".

Zelda takes place in a swords 'n' sorcery fantasy world, so the villain is an evil magic warrior with dark powers.

DK takes place in a world of tropical islands populated by talking animals, so the villain is a kold-blooded krocodile pirate.

Context, yo~ :3

(Source.)

Seriously, though, that aside, that's precisely it. :laugh: (Also, am I the only one who misses all of the Eastern cultural references that were so common in Game Boy titles back in the day? I really liked Super Mario Land for some of the same reasons that make me love the Kirby series - it's got a ton of those references, even down to having Jiangshi enemies!)

if King K. Rool got konfirmed will you leave smashboards or stay in the King K. Rool thread or will you move into another thread to support other characters?
I won't be leaving, so it comes down to a bit of both! I already frequent this thread, along with the Bandana Waddle Dee, Daisy, Mr. Stevenson, and Goku (from Yuyuki) threads as it is, and I don't see that changing. Well, I see the ones that don't make it being closed, but other than that!

Wintropy

Peace and love and all that jazzmatazz~! <3
NNID
Winterwhite
3DS FC
1461-6253-6301
That is certainly very random. :laugh: My first thought here gives rise to another K. Rool persona, since Jim Cummings provided the singing voice of Chief Powhatan in Disney's Pocahontas. It's too similar in execution to the short-lived Aztec-style look, though, I guess.

(Source.)

Seriously, though, that aside, that's precisely it. :laugh: (Also, am I the only one who misses all of the Eastern cultural references that were so common in Game Boy titles back in the day? I really liked Super Mario Land for some of the same reasons that make me love the Kirby series - it's got a ton of those references, even down to having Jiangshi enemies!)
Oh yeah, I was referring specifically to Kirby's Dream Land, since that's the only game where he's the big villain.

But if you want to run with the idea, Dark Matter / Nightmare / Zero / Marx / Magolor / Sectonia etc fit into the "eldritch nightmare being" niche, which contrasts nicely with the series' "cute dream world" setting.

On the subject of K. Rool, it's interesting that he's been associated with the pirate design since his debut. Even if he's King K. Rool in that game and the Kremlings have a military / warrior design to them, the final battle does take place on a pirate ship and his theme is clearly inspired by traditional sea shanties (with a bit of metal in there to keep it exciting). Rare no doubt did this deliberately, since the world of DKC consists of clusters of islands rather than kingdoms or planets, as in other Nintendo games.

Tortilla Noggin

Smash Obsessed
Rare no doubt did this deliberately, since the world of DKC consists of clusters of islands rather than kingdoms or planets, as in other Nintendo games.
See, I always liked this sort of consistency and attention-to-detail. It's rather good that our royals suit their individual settings. :laugh:

CaptainAmerica

Smash Master
NNID
TomOfHyrule
Soooooo someone came up with a DLC likelyhood tier.......

(I'm confused as to why ----- is there or who even voted for him)
...well this isn't biased at all. After all, I haven't found anyone on these boards who honestly thinks that Wolf has that high a chance, at least not more than Shantae...

And I also love that the image they used of Ridley is big enough that you can barely tell it's him, since all you see is an eye. Classy.

Blue_Sword_Edge

Smash Lord
NNID
Blue_Sword_Edge
3DS FC
1633-5415-5386
if King K. Rool got konfirmed will you leave smashboards or stay in the King K. Rool thread or will you move into another thread to support other characters?
I am staying on Smashboards. I'll visit this thread, assuming it becomes the social thread. I would give tips to and take tips from others on Smashboards as well.

Last thing to say.
The parents of that child sued Toonami for airing the show (which was PG-13 and played in the late evenings) and won, which is what caused it to be shut down for a few years.

NOW, K. Rool.

I like to see a wizard themed K. Rool. I'd like to see how that would work out, providing it's done properly.

Geno Boost

Smash Master

Woah! this likely DLC tier list is really bad.
Shovel knight and shantae and Layton and sceptile should be E tier and wolf should be S tier and ice climbers and snake should be C tier, 3rd parties are not likely they have less chance to be added than Nintendo character.

Last edited:

Snagrio

Shiny Lord
NNID
WingedFish64
3DS FC
4081-5821-0404

Banjodorf

Dynamic Duo
NNID
bluefalcon27
3DS FC
2105-8715-5493

I mean, the Shovel Knight amiibo still makes me suspicious, but the only character I'd argue is S tier is Wolf. Even that's shaky at this point. Inklings are probably higher than we give them credit for, probably around Isaac.

Get Professor Layton outta there. Shantae could probably stand to move down a tick. Why the **** is Snake in E tier? C'mon now.

FalKoopa

Rainbow Waifu
BRoomer
3DS FC
1650-3685-3998
Switch FC
SW-5545-7990-4793

The F-tier people would be pretty hype imo.

Seriously though, it's an anonymous image, so probably someone's personal list. Eh, ignore it and move on.

:231:

ZenythSmash

Smash Ace
3DS FC
2552-4344-0495

come on, Ridley and Chrom along with 4th parties? Geno that high? at least they're in the game and not held back by copyright and/or origin.

somebody quickly make an X-tier for Etika, Goku, and Shrek. F-tier for Sakurai's "No-Noes"

Welshy91

Smash Ace
I'm thinking that we spend a lot of time speculating about the game and not enough time actually playing it. I might host a sort of Kutthroat Kontest tournament where we could play one another in a few days just for giggles. It's better than lurking here all day.

James Phillips

Smash Journeyman
I feel like Fulgore or Rash would be more interesting for Smash as the Rare character than Banjo.

Last edited:

Crap-Zapper

Smash Champion
3DS FC
3540-1100-9470
These are my impressions. Who am I neglecting/why should I feel otherwise?

You know... This could have been believeable, but then I saw Ice Climbers below Snake... You know,the guy from that company that fired the other guy so that the other guys could not make more deals with our company. Yeah, that guy. Hmm... All I am saying is that, you have to change their places.

CodeBlue_

Smash Journeyman
Switch FC
SW-2347-7011-5339
You know... This could have been believeable, but then I saw Ice Climbers below Snake... You know,the guy from that company that fired the other guy so that the other guys could not make more deals with our company. Yeah, that guy. Hmm... All I am saying is that, you have to change their places.
Ice Climbers have techical limitations, Snake has other issues, but not as bad as the limitations. Snake is more likely.

PushDustIn

Salt Lord
BRoomer
Writing Team
NNID
PushDustIn
3DS FC
3695-0954-3750
My thoughts:
You should consider looking at the perctange of 5 votes, 4 votes, 3 votes, 2 votes and 1 votes for both of them. If you do that it would be far more accurate as if more people had voted for Inklings (or whatever character) then that's how likely they might have voted for each choice.

Crap-Zapper

Smash Champion
3DS FC
3540-1100-9470
Even a single Ice Climbers is easier to impliment than Snake. Snake is impossible so to speak. At least after Kojima was fired. Not saying it to be 110% Impossible, but it is way easier to create "Ice Climber" into the game than Snake.

KawaiiPiranha

Smash Journeyman
I haven't found anyone on these boards who honestly thinks that Wolf has that high a chance, at least not more than Shantae...
I think Wolf has a 100% chance of being added, completely separate from the ballot. I don't think there's a chance in hell he won't be added as a cross promotion for Star Fox Zero.

I honestly think that people who voted for him wasted their votes because he's getting in anyway.

James Phillips

Smash Journeyman
You should consider looking at the perctange of 5 votes, 4 votes, 3 votes, 2 votes and 1 votes for both of them. If you do that it would be far more accurate as if more people had voted for Inklings (or whatever character) then that's how likely they might have voted for each choice.
Thanks for elaborating, DushPustin.

Even a single Ice Climbers is easier to impliment than Snake. Snake is impossible so to speak. At least after Kojima was fired. Not saying it to be 110% Impossible, but it is way easier to create "Ice Climber" into the game than Snake.
Ice Climbers were chosen to Smash because of the tag team gimmick. I really, really doubt Sakurai would put "Ice Climbers without the thing that made them get into Smash" to Smash.

I can't really say how likely Snake is, but certainly more likely than both solo Ice Climber and Ice Climbers.

But this is getting off-topic.

Last edited:

Crap-Zapper

Smash Champion
3DS FC
3540-1100-9470
Ice Climbers were chosen to Smash because of the tag team gimmick. I really, really doubt Sakurai would put "Ice Climbers without the thing that made them get into Smash" to Smash.

I can't really say how likely Snake is, but certainly more likely than both solo Ice Climber and Ice Climbers.

But this is getting off-topic.
True, it would take away some aspect of the character's charm, but I think Sakurai also feel that he let the fans down, by letting Ice Climbers go, that he would eventually do something. I still remember playing Melee, target smash to be exact, with the Climbers, there I was only Popo, as everyone else playing Melee. It worked fine. The Up-B could easily be that bird on top of that stage. Don't you think we deserve some sort of Ice Climber replacement?

Btw, I will stop now, this is getting way off topic for K. Rool.

Don't you think we deserve some sort of Ice Climber replacement?

Btw, I will stop now, this is getting way off topic for K. Rool.
I'd rather wait for Smash 5 to get proper ICs.

So.. I found an old Donald Duck pocket book today... and the cover picture has a crocodile pirate that is nearly identical to Kaptain K. Rool. :drwtf:

Last edited:
Top Bottom