• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

K. Rool's Kremling Kutthroats: PM BKupa666 for an Invite to the New K. Rool Thread

Sirfishe

Smash Ace
All I can say is that, as of now, I can see that Etika is by far WORSE than Shokio.
omgosh totally dude. For shokio it was all about hatting on ridley. For etika its king k rool.. maybe i should go back and watch shokio again then. What if he did this on purpose just to hurt king k rools chances? You can tell that etika doesn't give a crap about K Rool

Joeyd123

Smash Ace
You guys can hope K Rool is a competitively viable character. But lets be honest, he probably won't be. He would be big, slow, and have a large hurtbox. The only heavy that has every really been viable is DK in the new Sm4sh update and even then he has some huge flaws, and he is smaller and quicker than most other heavies. Obviously I still would play K Rool when messing around or playing a scrub, but I would be extremely suprised to see K Rool ever winning tournaments. (I'd love to be wrong though!)

Last edited:

Zombie Saurian

Smash Journeyman
You guys can hope K Rool is a competitively viable character. But lets be honest, he probably won't be. He would be big, slow, and have a large hurtbox. The only heavy that has every really been viable is DK in the new Sm4sh update and even then he has some huge flaws, and he is smaller and quicker than most other heavies. Obviously I still would play K Rool when messing around or playing a scrub, but I would be extremely suprised to see K Rool ever winning tournaments. (I'd love to be wrong though!)
*Ahem*
:006:

NNID
Ridleylash
3DS FC
1736-1657-3905
All I can say is that, as of now, I can see that Etika is by far WORSE than Shokio.
Ehh.. it's Etika's fanbase that's more the issue; Etika himself probably sees King K.Rool as the more likely option, thus he figured it'd be more interesting to debate on Shovel Knight.

Shokio was flat-out hateful to Ridley fans just for one arbitrary reason, so there's no comparison.

Tortilla Noggin

Smash Obsessed
The thing is, this is all down to the skill of the player. Heavyweights have their advantages, too.

Joeyd123

Smash Ace
The thing is, this is all down to the skill of the player. Heavyweights have their advantages, too.
I guess for the level that most of us play it, skill can overcome the character's disadvantages. However, there is still an obvious advantage to using the small, quick characters (Sheik, Pika, ZSS, etc).

And at the highest level you pretty much never see heavy weights, with the exception of DKWill and M2K using DK. (And if you count Wario as a heavy)

Last edited:

Tortilla Noggin

Smash Obsessed
I guess for the level that most of us play it, skill can overcome the character's disadvantages. However, there is still an obvious advantage to using the small, quick characters (Sheik, Pika, ZSS, etc).
Yeah, it makes it easier for me to send them flying. ;)

NNID
Ridleylash
3DS FC
1736-1657-3905

And at the highest level you pretty much never see heavy weights, with the exception of DKWill and M2K using DK. (And if you count Wario as a heavy)
Eh...Bengalz would say otherwise; you see a lot more heavies in customs tournies.

NNID
Ridleylash
3DS FC
1736-1657-3905
DLC characters have no customs though. Which means K Rool stays the the same with customs on and other characters get better.

This argument makes no sense.
That doesn't really matter, though; not everyone in customs tournies uses customs. Zer0 won Evo with a default Sheik, despite Evo being a customs-on tournament. So while he wouldn't have customs, it wouldn't matter for his use as long as he's good by default.

That's why people like StaticManny didn't crush Evo with stupid customs strategies; it still takes skill to win, and as long as K.Rool is good he can place in tournaments.

Banjo-Kazooie

Smash Ace
NNID
Burudiman
3DS FC
2492-5021-9705
On to the competitive future of K. Rool. I would say its unlikely, but not impossible. Snake was heavy and slow as they come, though probably Snakedashing helped him a lot in the mobility department. Dedede started high in tiers back in Brawl but ended in the mid at the end, and mostly because chaingrabbing he managed to stay there.

But its not about being heavy or slow, its about being a big target. Its harder for you do dodge projectiles and attacks, while the opponents have an easier time comboing you. Its supposed that heavy and big characters have strong early kill moves to compensate. But in Smash Bros. light combo oriented characters have good kill options too. Plus the ability to escape your slower attacks with more ease. It is what it is.

As for me, it was never about getting a competitive character, its about having fun playing the character you like. I have played my share of low tiers in many Smash games (I used Zelda as a secondary in both Melee and Brawl) and I prefer having a hard, rare but earned victory with a low tier than a common victory with a high tier.

Right now I have problems playing any other character that is not Dedede. I guess that sometimes the Dedede life chooses you. But Im certain that King K. Rool will become my main. There is a guy in my community who is a much better Dedede than me.

I could play both, but playing two heavyweights is not healthy at all. I hope I can also get something else from the DLC like Banjo-Kazooie or Krystal to balance my heavy/light ratio.

CardStealer1

Smash Journeyman
NNID
CardStealer
3DS FC
2681-0263-6525
So to keep things on track, I'm sure this has been asked before (again), but how many of you would main K. Rool over your current favourite character if he made it into the roster?

I am dedicated to Pit, personally, but I would definitely play about with K. Rool. I reckon he'd be very fun, howsoever his moveset worked out.
I wouldn't main him, nor would I main my most wanted Isaac, as well as Bowser Jr. who was tied with Chrom for my most wanted pre release. Simply because I love Meta Knight! Love his character, his gameplay, love EVERYTHING! But K. Rool, Isaac, etc would definetly be up there with my favorites (Shulk, Mewtwo, Ness, Robin, etc).

Yellowlord

ゆゆネーター
Well guys; Let us hope we get some sort of Smash News during the weekend. It would coincide with the Maintenance on August 31st, which may as well be a character addition, if I had to predict. I do hope that if the maintenance is intended to add an upcoming character, it will hopefully be King K. Rool as that character.

Last edited:

SleuthMechanism

Smash Ace
NNID
SleuthMechanism
3DS FC
4184-2631-5815
Switch FC
SW-7949-7248-8280
DLC characters have no customs though. Which means K Rool stays the the same with customs on and other characters get better.

This argument makes no sense.
what if k.rool has a competently designed kit in the first place though?(like ganon with darkfists and dropkick and bowser with the fireballs, or roy in general being a fantastically well made character in this game)

Strider_Bond00J

Smash Champion
Switch FC
SW-2525-8699-9095
So to keep things on track, I'm sure this has been asked before (again), but how many of you would main K. Rool over your current favourite character if he made it into the roster?

I am dedicated to Pit, personally, but I would definitely play about with K. Rool. I reckon he'd be very fun, howsoever his moveset worked out.
If anything, King K. Rool might shoot up to my most played heavyweight characters in Smash 4: the top two currently being Ganondorf and DK. Roy's always going to be mah boi in Smash 4, but I wouldn't mind smiling at a crocodile having won a battle!

G-Guy

Smash Ace
NNID
G-Guy1990
I am usually maining heavyweights, mostly because I love the character themselve a lot!

My most played one, Wario, is one of my favorite VG characters of all time and DK is just full of Nostalgia for me.
I dabbled in D3 and Bowser, both of them are fantastic characters in their own right, and Ganondorf is always a blast to play.

My best friend always adored how I make a heavy, slow character actually look fast :D

So yeah, when K. Rool is coming out, i'll probably drop DK and the other real heavyweights to main the Kroc next to Lucas and Wario. Fun times ahead!

NNID
AwesomeCauliflwr
3DS FC
0576-6167-0092
Nibroc.Rock is a 3D artist who I think was also involved in that Dr. Mario "leak" a few weeks ago. He's very talented!
A K. Rool fan is requesting a K. Rool model from him, and looks like he might have plans for one. RT/Favorite to show your support:

https://twitter.com/jomamakazeypein/status/637387794214727681
There was a problem fetching the tweet
This guy is fantastic. Only made it in 2 hours as well. He could make the best Rare K. Rool model to have ever existed.

dangeraaron10

Smash Master
Finally caught up with ya'll. So PAX was a whole bunch of nothing in the Smash department it seems. Then again I didn't expect much to come from it.

I really doubt we're going to get a surprise update on the 31st to go along with this server maintenance. It could JUST be server maintenance and not a software patch but I would love to be proven wrong. At this point I'm not expecting characters until after the ballot closes. And if by the grace of Odin we DO end up getting a character, I'm expecting Wolf, and sadly not King K. Rool (though I would be on Cloud 9 if he was).

I'm seriously baffled that Wolf isn't in already. Absolutely baffled. I'd figure he'd get in before Lucas or Roy, and yet here we are. I didn't even vote for Wolf and I want him to return if only to fill a void left by him when he was cut.

DJ3DS

Smash Lord
3DS FC
0602-6256-9118
ROB exists.

Seriously, top 16 at both Apex and EVO. Rated 12th best in the game by ESAM, and rarely outside of top 20. Only other heavy that gives him competition is Wario.

K Rool has the potential to share a lot of ROB's positive traits. Strong projectile game, above average stage control game, faster tilts, ability to combo into kill moves. K Rool can easily be made viable.

This said, I actually have had this argument repeatedly on Anther's - who cares? Perceived viability is a terrible reason for people to vote for a character especially when it probably means nothing at the level they play at.

Joeyd123

Smash Ace
That doesn't really matter, though; not everyone in customs tournies uses customs. Zer0 won Evo with a default Sheik, despite Evo being a customs-on tournament. So while he wouldn't have customs, it wouldn't matter for his use as long as he's good by default.

That's why people like StaticManny didn't crush Evo with stupid customs strategies; it still takes skill to win, and as long as K.Rool is good he can place in tournaments.
I know but the idea of heavies being better with customs on doesn't apply to K Rool because he will have the same moves.

Wintropy

Peace and love and all that jazzmatazz~! <3
NNID
Winterwhite
3DS FC
1461-6253-6301
If I Was Designing K. Rool #5 (I Think?):

Ike is a heavweight.

Let that sink in.

But yeah, I think K. Rool could hold his own in a tourney setting. I discussed with a friend of mine the notion of Mega Man with a "trap" Metal Blade - in other words, when he sticks his Metal Blade into the floor, it would do damage instead of being an item either opponent can pick up and serve back.

I think K. Rool would work like that: a good projectile game with a few traps to keep the opponent as far back as possible. Grounded characters would find it difficult to approach, so he could feasibly do well against Little Mac (who'd be screwed over hard), Captain Falcon (Cap is fast, but he has to make the approach), Roy (ibid), Zero Suit Samus - really any character whose neutral game requires a decent approach option or a bait-and-punish style. Conversely, he'd find it difficult to fight reflector-wielders and characters whose projectiles can outmatch his own, so a character like Fox could feasibly push back his projectiles and then rush in to finish him off, or even Palutena with her reflector and d-throw followups could make him miserable.

I think K. Rool would have a great neutral, decent advantage and poor disadvantage. Great neutral because he can dictate the pace of the match with his projectiles and traps: the impetus is therefore on the opponent to make a move, because K. Rool can just stonewall 'em all day if he stays where he is (consider, if you will, Dedede with stronger Gordos or Villager with Bowser's strength). Decent advantage because he can press on with his kannonballs and Klaptraps (I'm gonna use my own moveset as a basis for this analysis), but he doesn't really have much in the way of decent combo options or followups, since his normal moves are more "get offa me" in execution and his grab would be useful if he needs to get the opponent far away so it's difficult for them to catch up to him. Poor disadvantage because, except for the aforementioned "get offa me" tricks, he'd be slow and heavy with a big hurtbox and an airgame that focuses on recovery over edgeguarding.

It's difficult to say if he'd be viable, because it's theorycraft until he's playable in the game. It is fun to speculate, of course, so if I had to hazard a guess, I'd say K. Rool could very realistically end up somewhere from mid to high mid-tier.

oinkers12

Smash Apprentice
I kind of wanted to express some frustration that I've been having for the past few days. I'm not going to mention THAT character (since this post will probably get deleted), but I wanted to bring up something: the current status of King K. Rool.

So far, what we do know is that he has a Mii costume, and so far, that's it. Sakurai hasn't said anything on the matter nor has anything been proven for or against him. The Mii costume itself has brand new assets and a completely new design. One could say that the design was made to compensate for us not getting the character, OR it could be based on a new design that Sakurai plans to implement in the game. Another thing we know is that the backlash towards the costume was immense and nobody liked the reveal.

Another thing to note is that there is still one month of the ballot left. One thing that I don't understand about the current rumor is (among other things), that the person who spread the rumor stated that he is sure that we will get a specific amount of characters (with those slots already filled). He conveniently "leaked" these results around PAX, one of the few gaming announcement platforms that is currently hot and interesting. The logic, however, is lacking in his argument because why would they not only stop choosing characters before the end of the ballot but also reveal them a month early? How does this relate to K. Rool, exactly? Well, he stated that the only reason he doubts K. Rool is because he hasn't heard anything about him yet. There's still a good chance that Sakurai can change his mind before the ballot ends.

Miiverse is a large part of K. Rool's chances as well. At least half of all the popular picture choices featured K. Rool in one way or another. Sakurai cannot possibly ignore that if he is choosing pictures to win a contest. There isn't much else to say on this subject, but it is interesting to note.

K. Rool's fanbase (along with Isaac) are the only two fanbases that legitimately have continuing support throughout this entire experience. "He who shall not be named" is a popular topic right now just because of the rumor. Seriously, before this revelation, this anyone ACTUALLY expect the character to be even close to winning? No. K. Rool is a character that has been supported for at least 14 years and has been recognized as a good choice to include (look at Brawl notes). He has only been not included because of timing and inconvenience (Rare buyout, Diddy getting priority, by the time Sm4sh released K. Rool hadn't been in a game for a while).

Finally, Sakurai knows for a fact that K. Rool is a popular choice (either him or Nintendo themselves). They advertise his Mii costume to this day and put him front and center in everything. There are some options that could occur if he doesn't get in: Sakurai and Nintendo want to lose money (least likely, obviously), Sakurai cannot program all of the cool stuff K. Rool has in the short amount of time he has (which is clear possibility, so look out for what happens with Smash 5), there could be a sizing issue (I'm not saying that at all, but Sakurai has a weird way of thinking), or they want to release him alongside a new DK game in the future.

Basically, K. Rool's chances are still great and everyone should stay on board for now (and the negatives are outweighed by the positives). I just wanted to express my arguments for the character because everyone, as of now, seems to be obsessed with this one rumor. And, seriously, the rumor covered itself by having it open FOR TWO MONTHS! That's a ridiculous amount of time (and seems awfully suspicious).

EDIT: Also, we made him relevant again. A new DK game with him could be in the near future with Retro backing us and everything.

Last edited:

Smashoperatingbuddy123

Smash Legend
Ok just remind us pirates

Keep your eyes open

Since we got a 1 hour maintence coming for smash 4 on the 31st

A announcement for it could happen at anytime for smash since a maintence is coming.

NK1046

Smash Apprentice
What if all of the three rumors are true and we get Prof. Layton, S. Knight, and King K. Rool. Since we got three characters last DLC update, we could potentially get three on Monday if we are getting anything.

Last edited:

King_K_Rules

Smash Journeyman
I have been thinking about ways to rally for K. Rool in this last push of the ballot. Encouraging people to vote for K. Rool in the ballot is good. We can also write letters about K. Rool to Nintendo. These letters can detail how much we like the character, what he represents, his abilities and zoning/trap play style.

Wintropy

Peace and love and all that jazzmatazz~! <3
NNID
Winterwhite
3DS FC
1461-6253-6301
What if all of the three rumors are true and we get Prof. Layton, S. Knight, and King K. Rool. Since we got three characters last DLC update, we could potentially get three on Monday if we are getting anything.
I think I'd actually cry.

These ain't no krocodile tears, boy.

see what i did there i brought it back to k. rool

But yeah, as tear-inducingly beautiful as that would be, I can't see it being anything but a frenzied dream. At best I could see a newcomer and a couple of veterans, which is how things have worked out thus far.

NK1046

Smash Apprentice
I think I'd actually cry.

These ain't no krocodile tears, boy.

see what i did there i brought it back to k. rool

But yeah, as tear-inducingly beautiful as that would be, I can't see it being anything but a frenzied dream. At best I could see a newcomer and a couple of veterans, which is how things have worked out thus far.
Yeah I know it is a long shot and it probably won't happen, but if we get like Wolf and a newcomer (King K. Rool) that would also be great.

mynameisBlade

Smash Lord
I believe in King K. RoOl and I know all of the Kutthroats do as well. If you believe in something hard enough, chances are it will happen. We will get the King in one form or another, not counting the Mii costume. Believe in the cause and it will come to fruition. If he doesn't make it in Smash, which I think he will, then here we come next DKC game! Don't lose focus and don't lose faith. Majority of the Kutthroats are great at channeling good vibes and positive energy, so keep it up everyone. We are doing fine. Stay concentrated on the goal ahead and let NOTHING stand in our way!

Last edited:

FalKoopa

Rainbow Waifu
BRoomer
3DS FC
1650-3685-3998
Switch FC
SW-5545-7990-4793
Don't toy with my feelings. ;_;

The following hype would be almost unparalleled.

Raxxel

Hipster Heavyweight Champ
NNID
RaxxelAintHappy
3DS FC
2921-9637-8816
Anyone else notice that they are advertising the costumes and stages again when you start up the Wii U? Just an observation.

Yellowlord

ゆゆネーター
Well guys; I suppose the only hint we'll get some new content is with that Maintenance on Monday. Trust me when I say this, but I think it'll be more then just big fixes; In particular, we might be seeing a Krokodile swim through soon enough. :3

BKupa666

Barnacled Boss
Whatever it is, I don't think it's just going to be content plopped onto the eShop unceremoniously. They're going to have to announce it somehow, especially if it's a character.

Sirfishe

Smash Ace
September is coming up guys.. so I really think we have to step our game. I'm saying like REALLY REALLY step up our game! We have to really start protesting this. For this month, ignore every other character just to get k rool in the game. We have to tell nintendo straight out why k rool is important to us. Make more videos about him and keep dominating fan polls. We kan dooooooooooooooo it! We've come to far guys. We can't let it all go to rest already. So do whatever you can do to really grow k rools popularity

Raxxel

Hipster Heavyweight Champ
NNID
RaxxelAintHappy
3DS FC
2921-9637-8816
... Alright, I feel like some tin foil hatting, so lemme type something up because I want to blow this meaningless detail out of proportion.
They are advertising the costumes again because they are going to reveal K. Rool soon. They know that once K. Rool is out, that nobody will buy the costume, so they want to push it for any last sales they could get.

DJ3DS

Smash Lord
3DS FC
0602-6256-9118
September is coming up guys.. so I really think we have to step our game. I'm saying like REALLY REALLY step up our game! We have to really start protesting this. For this month, ignore every other character just to get k rool in the game. We have to tell nintendo straight out why k rool is important to us. Make more videos about him and keep dominating fan polls. We kan dooooooooooooooo it! We've come to far guys. We can't let it all go to rest already. So do whatever you can do to really grow k rools popularity
Everyone here has probably used up all their votes by now. It's easy to tell us to step up our game but I imagine, like pretty much any system of voting, the final result was probably pretty clear early on. Realistically we're at the point where the ballot will be pretty much dead as far as voting goes.

Godzillathewonderdog

Smash Master
How would you feel if Sakurai were to say that he doesn't want the King to use the Kaptain's and Baron's equipment for his A moves for not flowing well enough together to make a good, cohesive move set/feeling awkward, and thought the King without that stuff wouldn't bring enough to the table?

Top Bottom