• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Jtails' Guide To Shield Grabbing

Popi

Former EIC
Premium
BRoomer
NNID
PowpiPenguin

Compared to previous games in the series, Shielding is a much more powerful and viable option in Smash 4. Due to the low shield stun when attacking Smash 4's shields, players on the offensive have to find creative ways to whittle them down in order to Shield Stab them or find an opening for a grab. For people on the defense, there are many safe options to respond.

Credits To D1's Youtube Channel​

One of these options is Shield Grabbing, the act of grabbing while shielding. The most common use for this, especially with Smash 4's lack of shield stun, is to punish an opponent who has used an attack with a lot of lag on the defender while he/she is shielding.

Jtails, arguably one of if not the best US Diddy main, recently published a guide on Youtube teaching viewers the intricacies of Shield Grabbing. Aside from showing the basic usage of Shield Grabbing, he also covers techniques on how to avoid getting shield grabbed and more.

For people looking to up their defensive game or optimize their approaches towards defensive opponents, take some time and watch this!

To see more of Jtails' content, follow him on his Youtube or Twitter.

PopiPenguin is on a caffine induced high at 3 AM right now because of E3, Dota 2 Dreamleague and training/making a trailer for his next tournament. To share thoughts on the video, follow @AdmiralPopi on Twitter, and suggest videos for upcoming articles

Last edited:

Blobface

Smash Lord
NNID
everyone1 (Bob)
3DS FC
3454-0482-6740
"High durability of smash 4 shields"

Just putting this out there, but shields are (in terms of health, regeneration, depletion, and damage taken) the least durable they've ever been.

CptJPuff

Smash Journeyman
The Ryu metagame is soon to be great with this.

Last edited:

Jellyfishn

Smash Journeyman

Just putting this out there, but shields are (in terms of health, regeneration, depletion, and damage taken) the least durable they've ever been.
Also the number of moves that do lots of shield damage are greater than they ever have been.

Kamui Nohr

Smash Journeyman
Being an :4alph: main, shield-grabbing was already common knowledge, but I didn't think too much of putting yourself in position to avoid being shield-grabbed while on the offensive, so that's going to be in mind when I play the game again. While this isn't anything advanced or new tech, I have to say this is a great reminder to people that haven't regularly used it yet.

Smash Ace
Being an :4alph: main, shield-grabbing was already common knowledge, but I didn't think too much of putting yourself in position to avoid being shield-grabbed while on the offensive, so that's going to be in mind when I play the game again. While this isn't anything advanced or new tech, I have to say this is a great reminder to people that haven't regularly used it yet.
Alph is Olimar.

Popi

Former EIC
Premium
BRoomer
NNID
PowpiPenguin

Actually, the durability is the same as in Brawl but the depletion rate (per second) has been decreased meaning shields go down slower. Regardless, fixed the durability thing in my article. Thanks!

Last edited:

-Crews-

a Strawhat Pirate
The title of this thread should have been "Jtails very basic guide to shield grabbing for beginners". Not hatin' on jtails or anything by any means, do your thing bro. But am I the only one who was mislead by the title? I was expecting to learn something. Instead I wasted 5 min of my life I can't get back. The only type player videos like this benefit are players who have never played any of the smash titles competitively......In which case they probably wouldn't be here anyway. There must not be much else going on in the smash community if THIS is posted on the home page. Just one smashers thoughts.

ShortcutButton

Smash Apprentice
NNID
ShortcutButton
One of these options is Shield Grabbing, the act of grabbing while shielding. The most common use for this, especially with Smash 4's lack of shield stun, is to punish an opponent who has used an attack with a lot of lag on the defender while he/she is shielding.

You mean any lag, right? Just punishing for attacking? Approaching?​

Last edited:

Jellyfishn

Smash Journeyman
The title of this thread should have been "Jtails very basic guide to shield grabbing for beginners". Not hatin' on jtails or anything by any means, do your thing bro. But am I the only one who was mislead by the title? I was expecting to learn something. Instead I wasted 5 min of my life I can't get back. The only type player videos like this benefit are players who have never played any of the smash titles competitively......In which case they probably wouldn't be here anyway. There must not be much else going on in the smash community if THIS is posted on the home page. Just one smashers thoughts.
In his defense, there are a lot of new smashers that come to the main page, so I think the main page is the perfect place to put it. People who have been on Smashboards for a long time know exactly where to go to get this information, whereas newcomers wouldn't. Definitely agree that the title should include "basic shield grabbing for beginners". While I didn't learn anything either, Smashboards isn't just for people with a lot of tourney experience under their belt.

Dylan_Tnga

Smash Master
My god, this is pathetic. A guide on the "intricasy" of shielding and pressing the A button.

Next, an in depth guide to selecting your character, which involves momentum transfer in the control-stick to change fighters, with advanced techs such as "up" and "down"

I like smash 4, but these guides are really starting to piss me off... ESPECIALLY "tech of the week"

It's like people are just desperate to show off the advanced side of smash 4 when it really doesn't have one. It's an easy game, pick it up and play it. If you have strong fundamentals and know your hitboxes/spacing and basic game mechanics... you will win tournaments. Simple.

Last edited:

It's All Fiction

Smash Rookie

The current sheild regen and depletion

I wouldn't say shields are strong, but perfect shielding is WAY easier in this game (no knockback and no shield damage if you time it right). Also the lack of shield stun makes it a lot easier to escape from and therefore punish from shield. They aren't numerically stronger, but the viability of shielding as an option is definitely much more efficient.

Blobface

Smash Lord
NNID
everyone1 (Bob)
3DS FC
3454-0482-6740
Oh, I wasn't denying the strength of shields overall, I was just saying that they're not nearly as durable as they were in Brawl and even Melee. They are definitely stronger overall than they were in Melee despite their lower durability.

Gam3rALO

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Gam3rALO
I hope more people utilize this. I have always been a big fan of shield grabbing as it can lead to combos.

Infinite901

Smash Ace
NNID
Infinite901
3DS FC
3282-4624-0341
As a Jigglypuff main I absolutely DESPISE shieldgrabbing.
That doesn't make any sense. As a Jigglypuff main, you shouldn't have a problem with shield grabbing,
I mean I always GET shield-grabbed. Fair, Nair, Bair, Dair, Dash, Ftilt, Jab, Pound, even Rest, you name it, I've been shieldgrabbed on it. And her (mostly) lack of grab game makes it not very useful for her anyway.

MarioMeteor

Smash Hero
NNID
BGenius23
3DS FC
0662-2900-1492

I mean I always GET shield-grabbed. Fair, Nair, Bair, Dair, Dash, Ftilt, Jab, Pound, even Rest, you name it, I've been shieldgrabbed on it. And her (mostly) lack of grab game makes it not very useful for her anyway.
I know what you mean, and I'm saying that as a Jigglypuff main, you should never get shieldgrabbed if your spacing is good. You shouldn't be using dash attack or forward tilt on shields anyway.

Priority Fire

Smash Rookie

Don't really know much about Jiggs in general (especially smash 4), but as Jiggs approaching a shielding opponent, does waiting before executing an aerial and crossing up their shields work? Or is shield drop lag in Smash 4 so low that they can still punish a crossed-up aerial?

Coonce

Smash Apprentice

I also main Jiggs, but never get shield-grabbed. Jigglypuff has great aerial mobility allowing her to perform easy fadeaway aerials. Also, like explained in the video, a full hop aerial while rising is completely safe against shield-grabs. You can also do this while fading away and while crossing up. And since most people expect Jigglypuffs to approach with aerials, I find they're more susceptible to empty jumps into grab. You may not get much off of grabs, but you get stage advantage.

Dylan_Tnga

Smash Master
Dude, his advice is "When shielding, press A, and you'll grab" Which if I'm not mistaken is in the instruction manual of the game, and has existed for 16 years since it was in smash 64 (although it was useless in smash 64 since Z cancel eliminates ALL lag)

Top Bottom