• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Jibanyan the Charm Yo-Kai for DLC! (Move to the new discussion thread in NintenZone subforum!)

Are you going to buy Yo-kai Watch!

• Total voters

BluePikmin11

Akko is my dear daughter!
NNID
blue
http://gonintendo.com/stories/240833-yo-kai-watch-hits-north-america-on-nov-6th?page=1#comment-22363
REDMOND, Wash., Aug. 19, 2015 – It’s difficult to overstate just how huge Yo-kai is in Japan. Now powerhouses like Nintendo, Disney XD, Hasbro and VIZ Media have teamed up to bring Yo-kai Watch to the U.S, based on an original concept from top Japanese entertainment company LEVEL-5, Inc.

But what is a Yo-kai anyway? Is it a spirit? A monster? A ghost? Nope – a Yo-kai is … well, it’s just a Yo-kai! You might not see them because they’re invisible, but they’re all around you every day. And they’re often mischievous, mysterious pranksters who like to make trouble for you. Lose your homework, can’t keep a secret or find yourself running late to everything? Yo-kai probably made you do it. The Yo-kai are based on common concerns kids have. By confronting those concerns, kids can learn to overcome them.

“The strength of the Yo-kai franchise demands strong partners,” said Scott Moffitt, Nintendo of America’s Executive Vice President of Sales & Marketing. “Our Nintendo 3DS system is the perfect platform to bring this fun, one-of-a-kind video game experience to life.”

On Nov. 6, Nintendo will launch the YO-KAI WATCH game for its portable Nintendo 3DS system. You explore the world in the game using your Yo-kai Watch to discover more than 200 Yo-kai, then befriend them and turn them into a team to battle other Yo-kai. Each Yo-kai has its own unique skills and strengths, so you must use them to challenge troublemaking Yo-kai and help people in the game solve their daily problems. In Japan, the three YO-KAI WATCH 2 games accounted for three of the six best-selling console and hand-held games in Japan for 2014.

Commenting on the launch, Akihiro Hino, President of LEVEL-5, Inc., said, “When we first started exploring concepts for the YO-KAI WATCH universe, we immersed ourselves in learning about situations confronting kids in their everyday lives. This world – a child’s complicated, scary, confusing, exiting and very funny world – is the foundation of our IP, and the Nintendo game really captures this essence, along with the colorful and often amusing Yo-kai behind it all!”

For more information about the YO-KAI WATCH video game, visit http://yo-kai.nintendo.com.

This fall, Disney XD and other Disney XD-branded platforms will debut the animated comedy series based on Yo-kai. The show follows the hilarious misadventures of an average human boy and his involvement with the mischievous Yo-kai all around him. Our young hero obtains a special watch, empowering him to discover and summon Yo-kai, befriend them and then work together to solve everyday problems … problems that are often caused by other troublemaking Yo-kai!

On Nov. 3, VIZ Media’s Perfect Square imprint will launch the YO-KAI WATCH manga, written and drawn by Noriyuki Konishi. The YO-KAI WATCH manga will be rated ‘A’ for All Ages and will be available exclusively in print on a bi-monthly basis.

“The kinetic artwork and relatable cast of characters will make the YO-KAI WATCH manga series the perfect complement to the growing momentum behind this dynamic property,” says Beth Kawasaki, Perfect Square’s Senior Editorial Director.

For more information about the YO-KAI WATCH manga, visit http://www.viz.com/.

This January, Hasbro will introduce innovative play experiences for the Yo-kai Watch franchise in North America and Australia, expanding to additional global markets by the end of 2016. Hasbro’s line will include toys and games centered around collectible medals, each representing a unique Yo-kai.

“We look forward to introducing kids to the amazing Yo-kai Watch franchise through play experiences that give them the fantasy of befriending the Yo-kai characters and participating in their mischievous adventures,” said Jerry Perez, Senior Vice President of Marketing at Hasbro.

In Japan, the TV program has been the top-rated animated show on TV TOKYO for kids 4-12 years old. The franchise has more than $2 billion in retail merchandise sales, including games, music and publishing. More than 8 million units of Nintendo 3DS video games have been sold.
I'm telling you, they are pushing the **** out of this franchise!

Yomi's Biggest Fan

See You Next Year, Baby
NNID
Takamaru64
3DS FC
1375-7346-9605
Switch FC
SW-8277-6509-2593
Despite the Americanization attempts and the subpar intro they have for the show (R.I.P. Gerapo), I'm still planning on watching the anime dub. Who knows if it will turn out better than how things went for Doraemon in the West. Many thought the dub of the show was too low budget, which says a lot since he's a well known Japanese icon.

BandanaWaddleDee

Smash Lord
NNID
bdon25
3DS FC
1633-4187-3079
Switch FC
2967-5142-5603
Despite the Americanization attempts and the subpar intro they have for the show (R.I.P. Gerapo), I'm still planning on watching the anime dub. Who knows if it will turn out better than how things went for Doraemon in the West. Many thought the dub of the show was too low budget, which says a lot since he's a well known Japanese icon.
R.I.P Jinmenken. His American name sucks

Yomi's Biggest Fan

See You Next Year, Baby
NNID
Takamaru64
3DS FC
1375-7346-9605
Switch FC
SW-8277-6509-2593
@ BluePikmin11 BluePikmin11 PushDustIn gave us a sneak peek at the top requested characters in Japan and Jinbanyan is still going strong. So far, the data is looking to be slightly different than how things went during his first round (Banjo being high, a Magnemite bandwagon, etc). We might see the final numbers in about 1.5-3 weeks from now if you are looking for the final results.

http://www.sourcegaming.info/2015/08/22/japantopdlcpart1/

BluePikmin11

NNID
blue
Jibanyan being in top is not that surprising. Though I wonder the exact amount of requests. With millions knowing Yokai Watch people are bound to vote for him at some point.

smashkirby

Smash Hero
Ah, what the heck, I'll support the little fellow! Silently lurking around for about a month , so figured I may as well show my support for him as long as I'm doing it. I gotta say though, Youkai Watch is getting promotion the likes of which I've never seen! Except for one time: Basically, the only oother time I've EVER seen THIS much promotion for a series like this was when Pokemon had come to the U.S. sometime in 1998-1999, not to mention the MASSIVE exposure of the anime on Kids' WB! in 1999, and from there, became that block's longest lasting show for 8 years. You know, thinking about Kids' WB! now...:crying:I really miss it...:crying:....My childhood.

POKEMANSPIKA

Smash Master
NNID
POKEMANSPIKA
So I went to Chicago a couple days ago and I went to Mitsuwa Market (Japanese marketplace basically) and I saw some Yokai Watch merchandise. It was all in Japanese so I couldn't understand it but it was still pretty cool.

Bebe Mignon

Smash Ace
I feel like I've asked this before, but... Is Yo-Kai Watch partially owned by Nintendo like how they partially own Pokemon?

Last edited:

Yomi's Biggest Fan

See You Next Year, Baby
NNID
Takamaru64
3DS FC
1375-7346-9605
Switch FC
SW-8277-6509-2593

BandanaWaddleDee

Smash Lord
NNID
bdon25
3DS FC
1633-4187-3079
Switch FC
2967-5142-5603
Kind of ironic how the anime will premiere exactly a few days after the Smash Ballot closes. While the cast looks promising, the few test clips shown seems to remind me too much of that FUNimation One Piece. Here's to hoping that the dub turns out great even if most of the yokai's names are butchered (Plus no Gerapo).

http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/new...ober-5-u.s-debut-and-dub-cast-revealed/.92817
I quite like the FUNimation One Piece and this one looks promising. Keita sounds a bit too much like Noby from Doreamon, but it's the same voice actor, and it sounds fine. That intro on the other hand, I will never get used to it.

BluePikmin11

NNID
blue
http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/int...pan-fascination-with-yo-kai-watch-over/.92487

Let's take a look at this article, claiming that Yokai Watch is becoming dead.

Yet Yōkai Watch fever seems to have cooled down now, with less visible excitement among children and more products lingering on store shelves for longer. The prices of Yōkai Watch merchandise are dropping. Sales of Yōkai Watch medals are at ¼ of what they were in the summer of 2014, at the height of the Yōkai Watch boom. Sales of other merchandise range from 1/5 to 1/8 of their levels last year.
What's happening? While pop culture trends may be ephemeral, Ken Hōri of the Business Journal examines the issue from a distribution standpoint. Toymakers are forced to secure copyright approvals from two different entities, Level-5 and Level-5/Dentsū/Bandai, and the process takes roughly six months. Stores were unable to keep their shelves stocked during summer vacation, when demand was highest. To compensate, they placed more orders than usual, leaving them with an oversupply of stock at this point, when demand has tapered off.
Hōri also points out that Yōkai Watch had compatibility problems. The medals sold last summer were incompatible with watches sold both earlier and later. His own son had a watch without any medals to use it with, and soon lost interest in Yōkai Watch, leaving the watch to gather dust in a cupboard.

It would seem natural to say to the Yokai Watch franchise is dead.

The fact of the matter is that it's simply slowing down, claiming that it's dead is an overstatement. Yokai Watch is still Bandai's biggest toymaker, it's just not as crazy selling as before. The games themselves are still selling extremely well. The recent spinoff release of Yokai Watch Busters (3DS) sold hotcakes with over 1,400,000 million in sales. Nearly selling as well as the best selling Pokemon spinoff game:

Yo-Kai Watch Busters: Red Cat Team / White Dog Squad - 1.450.344
Pokémon Mystery Dungeon: Explorers of Time / Darkness - 1.551.640

This proves that Yokai Watch as a franchise is still garnering high interest for Japan, it's too early to say anything.

Not to mention this portion of the article benefits Yokai Watch moreso than doesn't.
Although the author cites these two factors as most prominent, he also speculates about others. Jibanyan (left in the forefront of the picture) was the main characterin the franchise last year, so most of the stock in toy and convenience stores features him, but this year the newly introduced character USApyon (right in the forefront of the picture) is more popular. As a result, prices of Jibanyan goods have dropped by 10-15%. He feels that performing Yōkai Watch songs at New Year's gave the impression that the franchise was a "one-hit wonder" destined to fade away the next year. McDonald's has been struggling in Japan in the past year due to a chicken meat safety scare. And it could be that there simply "aren't any more characters that can earn [money for toy retailers]."

Jibanyan may not be as popular as he once was, but Yokai Watch's new character USApypon is becoming really popular to give Yokai Watch more popularity.

A similar incident happened with Pokemon in 1997, even the article says it.
Hōri compares the situation with Yōkai Watch's primary rival, Pokémon. Media Factory, which made Pokémon cards, was part of Daiei at the time; Daiei also owned LAWSON, a major convenience store chain which has branches all over Japan. LAWSON's buyers also put in effort to ensure that stores were kept well-stocked, avoiding the shortages that stymied the Yōkai Watch boom. Shogakukanand Nintendo also privileged suppliers that used Loppi, LAWSON's electronic shopping terminal, to ensure Pokémon products were available nationwide. These effective distribution measures helped Pokémon survive the 1997 outbreak of seizures caused by flashing lights in Episode 38 and eventually become a worldwide phenomenon.

Yokai Watch only needs time to recover from the cooldown, once the Universal attraction in Japan opens and Yokai Watch 3 comes out and when toymakers finally get the license rights of Yokai Watch..

The franchise will get back up to its knees. The sales will truly determine whether or not Yokai Watch has truly died down of Japan hype!

Last edited:

BluePikmin11

NNID
blue
Double post, but I'm changing my avatar now. Unrelated to the leak, I know. But I'm hyped for Yokai Watch and I love Fumi-chan. <3
My hype for the game can't be contained.

BandanaWaddleDee

Smash Lord
NNID
bdon25
3DS FC
1633-4187-3079
Switch FC
2967-5142-5603
Just checked the updated site. Well, they changed the name of one of my favorite Yo-Kai. Orochi is now Venoct...

Yomi's Biggest Fan

See You Next Year, Baby
NNID
Takamaru64
3DS FC
1375-7346-9605
Switch FC
SW-8277-6509-2593
Just checked the updated site. Well, they changed the name of one of my favorite Yo-Kai. Orochi is now Venoct...
And now these localized names are starting to become worse than how Gsme Freak handles any post Gen-4 Pokemon's name. I can tell that many new fans would have a field day with that silly name.

BandanaWaddleDee

Smash Lord
NNID
bdon25
3DS FC
1633-4187-3079
Switch FC
2967-5142-5603
http://www.yo-kai-world.com
Bruh, the official general website for Yokai Watch is open now. :DDDDD
Katie's voice is baloney though. ._.
AND THEY KEPT GERA GERA PO!!! YOKAI WATCH IS GOING TO LIVE!
Forget Fumi's English voice, that lip syncing is really... not good. But hey, Geragera po lives on! Now if they screw up Kanchi or Orochi's voice, ima rage

Yomi's Biggest Fan

See You Next Year, Baby
NNID
Takamaru64
3DS FC
1375-7346-9605
Switch FC
SW-8277-6509-2593
Just watched a trailer an Blue wasn't kidding about how horrible Katie was. The lip syncing, atrocious. That voice however, DO NOT WANT! :urg:

But the hype train never ends for Yokai Watch since we will get the anime, video game, merchandises, and many other ghastly goodies this fall. They will have no excuse but to give us the sequels next year, especially the third game.

Top Bottom