• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Jaystring's mod thread

NFMLH2

Smash Apprentice
Loving everything you're doing! F***! NICE SH*T.. F***ing amazing! I love you, Jaystring.

I would like to see a phantom Ganon recolor.

PHANTOM!

Last edited:

CraptainFalcon

Smash Rookie
3DS FC
1221-1779-3703
Jaystring good job on everything. I have something urelated to ask. How did you get 14 icons in a row on your CSS lol?

jaystring

Smash Ace
Looks amazing!
Thanks!

Give us a mailing address so we can send you nice things!
haha, what do you want to send me!?

A demise recolor?! *faints*
yep! It was part of HW's original recolors. I did all of them (even if honestly I didn't like them that much)

I still debating if I do the HW Legends one or not.. I'm not sure.

This is referencing the dark characters in HW, right? All of the recolors look wonderful!
yes it is!

Loving everything you're doing! F***! NICE SH*T.. F***ing amazing! I love you, Jaystring.

I would like to see a phantom Ganon recolor.

PHANTOM!
Thank You!

For now, I didn't do the HW Legends one (which I think is what you're asking as there's a black with blue outline costume in HW Legends

I haven't decided if I want to do them yet.

Jaystring good job on everything. I have something urelated to ask. How did you get 14 icons in a row on your CSS lol?
Thank you!

About the CSS icons, I didn't do it. I started my build from the waluigi build that comes with the waluigi PSA.

The PM waluigi build is already setup to do that once you go over the 46 or 48 CSS character limit (I don,t remember the limit by heart). They already added the fix to go over the limit and that's the way they set it up.

I do know that you can setup the CSS pretty much any way you want it. There's tutorial for that around the web but I haven't looked into them because I was still playing with CSS BrawlEX slots and haven't started working on a clean look yet.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

For HW Ganondorf, the debug and HD textures are pretty much done now. I only have the pose/render and CSPs to do before HW Ganondorf is ready for release.

Jmanthesmasher683

Smash Journeyman
Maybe you could add a 20 slots code to fit the new HW costume as well as pig ganon. I'm not sure if it's possible but based on the numbering on the cosmetics, it looks like fitting 20 extra CSPs would be possible.

Bazkip

Smash Master
Is the HW OoT body model really that bad? Especially for PM which isn't even high-res (on console)? With the PM body and the fact that you seemed to have flattened out the hair it hardly even seems any different (even with the other minor tweaks). I'm not trying to put down your work here, this is some quality stuff and I appreciate that you're doing it for the community of your own volition, but I don't really see the point of that one.

Kinda the same deal for the TP costume, though that one I understand why you don't want to use the HW body.

Regardless, I'm still looking forwards to this. Great work man.

ThatsBullocks

Smash Apprentice
NNID
BullockDS
The 3DS base model for HW's Ocarina Ganon is disgustingly low poly and the textures are FAR lower detail (being lazily resized versions of OoT3D's textures). Plus the hair, face, and other details are just so wrong in HW's version.

Bazkip

Smash Master
The 3DS base model for HW's Ocarina Ganon is disgustingly low poly and the textures are FAR lower detail (being lazily resized versions of OoT3D's textures). Plus the hair, face, and other details are just so wrong in HW's version.
Idk man looking at this pic the only thing that really strikes me as being particularly low poly/res are the boots and I mean that's not really a huge deal. There's other parts with are somewhat fuzzy or a tad blocky but it's nothing awful. Again PM is not exactly a high-fidelity game and the characters are generally pretty small on screen I don't think it'll be at all noticeable.

As for the other things you mention...isn't the face exactly what jaystring is using? And then the rest are just a matter of preference, really.

ThatsBullocks

Smash Apprentice
NNID
BullockDS
Jaystring also vertexed the face on OoT Ganon to much more closely match OoT/Melee Ganon (the longer nose, the rounded ears, the default grinlike expression, etc).

Also, to be frank, I cannot fathom how you can miss the difference in texture quality between that HW art and the PM Ganondorf. This clearly shows a greater level of texture detail and polygonal fidelity.

jaystring

Smash Ace
Maybe you could add a 20 slots code to fit the new HW costume as well as pig ganon. I'm not sure if it's possible but based on the numbering on the cosmetics, it looks like fitting 20 extra CSPs would be possible.
Well, as usual, I'll provide a good number of costumes and people can use them as they want in their build. You don't have to use all my recolors so you can definitively still have Pig Ganon in there, even with the 10 costumes.

Are you still working on the vertexed snake costume from mgs1? I know you're busy with the HW costumes, but AlGeorgeRomo revealed an updated model on his twitter that would be cool if you worked off of. https://twitter.com/AlGeorgeRomo/status/802651283437985792
Yes I am. well, it's still in progress in my batch of projets. It's great that he's updating it even more (looks like a texture edit). I'll wait for his update probably then!

I'm in no rush to finish my version anyway!

What about the Cloud skin mod?
As I mentioned earlier, I intend to make the Cloud(s) compatible with the PSA that's in WIP now.

This one here :

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TDQ0jfdLPqY&feature=youtu.be

I have not too long ago received a WIP version of this PSA to test and edit my model on it and I can tell you that this moveset looks like it's going to be very very nice from what I have seen. There's issues to fix but it has tons of potential.

Is the HW OoT body model really that bad? Especially for PM which isn't even high-res (on console)? With the PM body and the fact that you seemed to have flattened out the hair it hardly even seems any different (even with the other minor tweaks). I'm not trying to put down your work here, this is some quality stuff and I appreciate that you're doing it for the community of your own volition, but I don't really see the point of that one.

Kinda the same deal for the TP costume, though that one I understand why you don't want to use the HW body.

Regardless, I'm still looking forwards to this. Great work man.
I like my mods to fit together (like Ganondorf having the same head on all his costume so it looks like he's actually wearing a different costume and not that it's different models from different sources)

I wanted a OOT costume of my mod (and a TP costume)

but didn't want to use the official OOT HW costumes. It was not high quality enough for me (for the same reason that "ThatsBullocks" mentionned)

I personally like the PM one better so I went with it. There's really not more to it then that. It was all about preference. I liked the PM body better so I used that one

Then there's also the sideburn edit. The official HW OOT costume has a huge patch of hair that's from the version with the beard that they left there and it looks sooo weird and unnatural.
I edited it to make it look like it's actual sideburn

The hairs also on the official HW OOT costume was all blocking and cheap looking. My model use the PM hairs but I converted them to XLU material making them look even smoother then the real PM models.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Progress on all my mods have slowed down a bit lately but that's because I have updated my gaming setup with a 4K TV.

I also took the opportunity to update my dolphin build, personnal stuff etc etc. It took a while to do so I didn't have time to work on Ganondorf at all this weekend and probably not for the next 2 days.

I'll try to push for a end of this week release if I can (no promise but I'll try!). Depends on if I can make a pose for him quickly or not.

But anyway, the good news now is I'm setup for 4K screenshots and preview!

So here a 4K Ganondorf quick shot I did! (it kind of shows the limitation of a 1024x1024 texture...a shame there's no higher resolution texture for the original HW models)

https://www.dropbox.com/s/qugm8rn09vutxk6/00000000-2.png?dl=0

I'm also probably going to include DDS HD textures from now on with the PNGs. the pngs are way more easier to work with but the DDS have a huge speed advantage that I kind of didn't know before.

jaystring

Smash Ace
What are the specs on your rig? Just bought all the parts for a midlevel one myself today. Curious what kind of quality I can get.
My rig was high end couple of years ago. Only the videocard got updated until now. Not sure where it stand today (minus the videocard).

I7 2600K (slightly overclocked) (this CPU is a beast, didn't feel the need to upgrade yet)
GTX 980 TI (initially I had a GTX580, it broke 7-8 months ago)
16 gb ram (still haven't feel like I need to add another 16gb)

at 1080p, I was running about anything at 60 FPS all the time.

at 4K, even the 980ti get destroy in some games (Rise of Tomb raider for exemple)

for Dolphin, I can run about every game at 60fps at 4K native (it's also thanks to the awesome dolphin 5.0). It looks incredible!

Bazkip

Smash Master
miss the difference
Dawg can you read

I said I don't think the model and textures are that bad, and won't be apparent because PM is a low-res game where the characters generally appear small on screen. That's clearly not missing the difference that's just thinking it's not significant enough. Come on lol.

Cynapse

Smash Ace
What are the specs on your rig?
My rig was high end couple of years ago. Only the videocard got updated until now. Not sure where it stand today (minus the videocard).

I7 2600K (slightly overclocked) (this CPU is a beast, didn't feel the need to upgrade yet)
GTX 980 TI (initially I had a GTX580, it broke 7-8 months ago)
16 gb ram (still haven't feel like I need to add another 16gb)

at 1080p, I was running about anything at 60 FPS all the time.

at 4K, even the 980ti get destroy in some games (Rise of Tomb raider for exemple)

for Dolphin, I can run about every game at 60fps at 4K native (it's also thanks to the awesome dolphin 5.0). It looks incredible!
Nice. Do you attribute the Dolphin performance more so to your processor or video card?

ThatsBullocks

Smash Apprentice
NNID
BullockDS
Dawg can you read

I said I don't think the model and textures are that bad, and won't be apparent because PM is a low-res game where the characters generally appear small on screen. That's clearly not missing the difference that's just thinking it's not significant enough. Come on lol.
By this logic, Jaystring shouldn't bother to do Cloud's SmashU model and should just settle for his Smash3DS model.

Last edited:

jaystring

Smash Ace
Nice. Do you attribute the Dolphin performance more so to your processor or video card?
Except for Internal resolution and shader/post effect like stuff on ishiiruka, I think the CPU is more important for Dolphin. I got a significant performance boost at the time on dolphin 4.0 by overclocking my CPU.

Dawg can you read

There was also the practical and time saving aspect to consider.

Not only the PM model is better in my opinion but it was also already rigged, texture tweaked to Brawl, tons of recolors already done, materials and shaders already done, etc.

There was no point in choosing the ugliest model then have to spend more time to rig it from scratch, start adjusting the textures to Brawl from scratch, etc etc.

Shren

Smash Journeyman
Just waiting for Ganondorf, on top of the 20 costume code from Pyotr, is making me excited.

Last edited:

mnaz96

Smash Rookie
I need a triforce of power to contain my hype. Or a bunch of matches with ganon where he wins by just down airing.

jaystring

Smash Ace
Just waiting for Ganondorf, on top of the 20 costume code from Pyotr, is making me excited.
I need a triforce of power to contain my hype. Or a bunch of matches with ganon where he wins by just down airing.
It's coming! It's coming!

I'm working on the renders now

This is very likely the render that's going to be used for my CSPs.

I didn't went crazy with creativity on this one, it's very close to his HW render pose.

Bazkip

Smash Master
By this logic, Jaystring shouldn't bother to do Cloud's SmashU model and should just settle for his Smash3DS model.
No? afaik Wii U and 3DS models are the same except for quality of the models/textures. PM and HW models are similar but not the same, ignoring the quality differences. Seriously man what you're interpreting is not what I'm saying.

There was also the practical and time saving aspect to consider.

Not only the PM model is better in my opinion but it was also already rigged, texture tweaked to Brawl, tons of recolors already done, materials and shaders already done, etc.

There was no point in choosing the ugliest model then have to spend more time to rig it from scratch, start adjusting the textures to Brawl from scratch, etc etc.
I'm not telling you what to do or what I think you should do, I get your reasoning I just wanted to ask about it. Sorry to bother.

jaystring

Smash Ace
You may be able to upscale the 1024 textures at a reasonable quality using this site http://waifu2x.udp.jp/
Try it out and see how it looks.
Thanks!

tested it quickly yesterday. It makes the texture a bit more sharp and do make it better in some area but other not that much.

It doesn't do magic. It would be possible to actually make the texture more high res but it would need to be done by hand by a very skilled texturer. The kind of people who does HD textures pack for old games or re-sell old games as HD remasters.

I'll do more test tonight and see how it looks in-game. if it does give a reasonable upgrade, I'll use them as HD textures.

No? afaik Wii U and 3DS models are the same except for quality of the models/textures. PM and HW models are similar but not the same, ignoring the quality differences. Seriously man what you're interpreting is not what I'm saying.

I'm not telling you what to do or what I think you should do, I get your reasoning I just wanted to ask about it. Sorry to bother.
No worries. you're not bothering!

I was just giving you the details as to why the real DLC didn't get used in my mod.

Similar things will happen too with future HW mods. I won't be exporting 100% of all HW content as is and sometimes i'll use part of another model that's better to me or better suited for Brawl.

That's just how I want to do my things

and BTW HW model are no where near the same as any other nintendo models haha! They are twice if not close to 3 time more detailed then any other nintendo model.

It's actually kind of crazy. HW Ganondorf had almost 2 time more triangles then MGS4 Old Snake. The main Character of a PS3 game. I took a look at HW Zelda and she's actually worst then Ganondorf...

jaystring

Smash Ace
You may be able to upscale the 1024 textures at a reasonable quality using this site http://waifu2x.udp.jp/
Try it out and see how it looks.
ok, comparing it to my 4K screenshot taken in about the same map, place etc but with the original 1024x1024 texture, It does look a bit more crisp with the upscaled textures.

I'll use them for the HD textures!

Here how he look now with the waifux2 textures

I'll have to re-render all those CSP now!

Heavy D88

Smash Journeyman
NNID
HeavyD1488
3DS FC
1719-3686-1030
Sure is. Would be good to have your talents there. Show people what a good import is.

jaystring

Smash Ace
I have many reasons why I won't be modding smash 4 anytime soon

1) The tools aren't fully ready. It's not yet possible to do "anything we want" as much as it's possible with Brawl. I'm not really interested in the trial and error part for developpement. I just want to make cool content (with working tools)

2) To me, PM is the better game. I get frustrated playing smash 4. It's too unbalanced and not as fluid and fast as PM. PM I can select random and have fun with any character. not soo much on smash4

3) Dolphin > Cemu. Cemu is not really ready yet (missing many features, bugs etc etc)

I play mostly on PC and loves emulator because of internal resolution ajustment (and many other things). I can't stand the 720p ugly look on Wii U.

So yeah, I won't be modding smash4 until I see a big high quality project showcasing how much you can edit the game with content and gameplay tweak running on Cemu at native 4K with HD textures and stuff.

This will probably take many years.

It's actually kind of sad how many people jumpshipped to smash4 modding while Brawl Modding is at it's best in term of all the things you can do with the game today.

BrawlEx for exemple was release not too long ago and expand A LOT the things you can do with the games. It still has some serious bugs to be fixed but it has so much potential.

ThatsBullocks

Smash Apprentice
NNID
BullockDS
It's actually kind of sad how many people jumpshipped to smash4 modding while Brawl Modding is at it's best in term of all the things you can do with the game today.
I very much agree. It's one thing when it's people who've been pushing the limits for Brawl in the first place in terms of quality and/or actual coding etc stuff (so that they can help in pushing Sm4sh to its limits), but a ton of people just seemed to ditch Brawl/PM just because Sm4sh is the newer, shinier game.

Last edited:

Heavy D88

Smash Journeyman
NNID
HeavyD1488
3DS FC
1719-3686-1030
That's because they wanted to get into its files and start the process for modding it. Getting things up and running faster. There are more characters to start with at base without a clone engine. Better overall models and looks at base, and I'd argue the game is more fluid. Maybe not as fast, but it is more fluid.

Smash U supports much more high quality models and textures this time around. It's just that not many have done so because they're too busy with their joke/meme garbage imports and mods. It will take time for things to get up to where Brawl modding is now obviously.

Expecting native 4k is a bit much. Not to be rude, but I think you've been spoiled by using it if you still think anything less is ugly or garbage quality. Our eyes can only perceive clarity up to a certain point anyway.

Chaosblade77

Smash Lord
I'm glad there are still at least a few people working on quality Brawl mods. I'd much rather play PM than Smash 4 so it's what I'd rather see content for, unless Smash 4 eventually gets the PM treatment.

And I can't wait for Ganondorf. Looks so good.

Last edited:

jaystring

Smash Ace
I'm glad there are still at least a few people working on quality Brawl mods. I'd much rather play PM than Smash 4 so it's what I'd rather see content for, unless Smash 4 eventually gets the PM treatment.
yeah, exactly that for me too!

I very much agree. It's one thing when it's people who've been pushing the limits for Brawl in the first place in terms of quality and/or actual coding etc stuff (so that they can help in pushing Sm4sh to its limits), but a ton of people just seemed to ditch Brawl/PM just because Sm4sh is the newer, shinier game.
I'm sure one day Smash4 will have very very cool content and mod. but it,s going to take a while. Long enough for me to do ample of PM mods

That's because they wanted to get into its files and start the process for modding it. Getting things up and running faster. There are more characters to start with at base without a clone engine. Better overall models and looks at base, and I'd argue the game is more fluid. Maybe not as fast, but it is more fluid.

Smash U supports much more high quality models and textures this time around. It's just that not many have done so because they're too busy with their joke/meme garbage imports and mods. It will take time for things to get up to where Brawl modding is now obviously.

Expecting native 4k is a bit much. Not to be rude, but I think you've been spoiled by using it if you still think anything less is ugly or garbage quality. Our eyes can only perceive clarity up to a certain point anyway.
I'm sure it's a question of time before Cemu support resolution upscale. and when it does, wii u game will look absolutely fantastic. can't wait to see Mario Kart 8 upscale, that game has absolutely fantastic art direction.

I've totally been spoiled, yeah. and that's mostly because I've been gaming on pc for years now, so I'm used to it.

I do have consoles too, and I do enjoy them too.

I didn't mean to say that smash4 looks bad. It doesn't. but the limitation of the console doesn't allow the game to be shown in all it's potential. The game is prettier then what the console allow it to be.

I honestly did not expect to be that impressed with native 4K. until I saw it the first time. To me, it really felt like the next step, as big as when I saw Bluray the first time from the DVD era.

You do see the difference. seriously. it's not yet to that "we can't see it anymore" .

but I guest we are getting close to that because :

I completely remove all anti-aliasing setting in all my games now because even without antialiasing, I can't see the jaggies. + antialiasing at 4K cost a fortune in FPS.

If you don't need antialiasing anymore then yeah, you don't need more resolution then that.

jaystring

Smash Ace
Had some fun with recolors

New costumes! a super shiny gold costume (I forgot to put 1 belt the right material... it's fixed but you get the idea!)

Shren

Smash Journeyman
Had some fun with recolors

New costumes! a super shiny gold costume (I forgot to put 1 belt the right material... it's fixed but you get the idea!)

*patience levels rising for more beauties like this to happen*

While 4k IS awesome, I'd have to say, most Wii U models have textures MINIMUM 1024x1024, with some of the spec/normal maps running at 2048 and not lagging. You're right about the tools though. Probably a good idea to wait until they've documented most of the materials and have a universal tool for modifying everything. Right now its mostly script/command based.

jaystring

Smash Ace
While 4k IS awesome, I'd have to say, most Wii U models have textures MINIMUM 1024x1024, with some of the spec/normal maps running at 2048 and not lagging. You're right about the tools though. Probably a good idea to wait until they've documented most of the materials and have a universal tool for modifying everything. Right now its mostly script/command based.
up until now, I have not seen 2048x2048 textures coming from a wii U game disc yet. Would have used them for sure if I had those. I've ripped Smash4, Hyrule Warriors, Captain Toad and Star Fox Zero.

*patience levels rising for more beauties like this to happen*
It's coming!! I know I said I would release it last week and I missed my "target" (because of a skinning bug forcing me to re-export multiple of them) but the pack is big. counting every variation, recolor etc etc, there's 35 costume to choose form in all.

jaystring

Smash Ace
HW Ganondorf is progressing!

I finished the renders yesterday and now I have CSP, HD CSP, screenshots gallery and preparing the pack left to do!.

I'm confident I should be able to upload it later this week.

I'm also announcing that I had some help from Kuro from BrawlVault with the pack.

He made some extra recolors for me and there's going to be 2 CSP poses in the pack (similar to the Tails release)

He made 4 new recolors for Hyrule Warriors Ganondorf (you can see them all in my screenshot below after the gold recolor)

1) a Pink recolor
2) a yellow recolor (inspired from Gilgamesh from Fate Zero)
3) a purple recolor (with a very special and unique hair shader)
4) The official phantom Ganon Hyrule Warriors Legends recolor

I have an image I uploaded that shows you all 35 costumes that are coming!! (I had to put it on dropbox as it's huge)

https://www.dropbox.com/s/3aemad8suj4gx81/Renders.jpg?dl=0

ThatsBullocks

Smash Apprentice
NNID
BullockDS
up until now, I have not seen 2048x2048 textures coming from a wii U game disc yet. Would have used them for sure if I had those. I've ripped Smash4, Hyrule Warriors, Captain Toad and Star Fox Zero.
It is rare. But one example off the top of my head is the Inkling trophy from SmashU. The normal map for it is 2048x2048, and I think the base texture is too.

Top Bottom