• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Japanese Style Online Ranking System

Status
Not open for further replies.

rainshifter

Smash Cadet
Please sign me up under the name Blue Suit. I will play as Fox.

On a side note there seems to be a potential flaw in the system. Could someone not refuse to accept a challenge made by a fair candidate? For instance, lots of players might refuse to play against superboomfan in fear of relinquishing a point; this would inevitably result in a smaller pool of players, even within his rank boundary, who would voluntarily play against him. We all sort of know our chances of victory and might just be inclined to choose an opponent that provides the best odds. I am playing devil's advocate here, but what sort of rule could we implement to prevent this? I would propose that if a challenge is made to a fair candidate, that candidate must accept, and they must schedule some time at which to play. In other words, until those two play, they may not seek out other opponents to face. If a challenge is refused, it could count as an automatic loss, or incur some other penalty. With the addition of this rule this ranking system could be far less biased. At the same time it could introduce a potential complication...

So on a side side note I do see server selection or P2P being an issue, particularly if the above rule were added. Should not have to default or be forced to P2P, especially for rare cases like me where 1) lower frame delay is preferred or 2) P2P client does not function correctly. This also forces a player to host a session, which is not always an option. What happens if two players cannot arrive at a consensus on where to play? I would suggest having entrants elect where they will voluntarily play beforehand; that way challenges could only be directed toward candidates with overlapping elected servers. But the one small problem here is that servers and lag situations change; so while one day a player might operate without lag in Smash FU the next day they might get a ton of lag or even be unable to connect. To mitigate this I would suggest incurring a penalty if a player would like to re-elect their server preferences.

Maybe we should leave this alone until it begins to become an issue. Please provide reasons why this may not be a good idea. Let me know your thoughts.

Herbert Von Karajan

Smash Lord
{ 2014-03-27, C, Boom, Me }

lots of players might refuse to play against superboomfan in fear of relinquishing a point; this would inevitably result in a smaller pool of players, even within his rank boundary, who would voluntarily play against him. We all sort of know our chances of victory and might just be inclined to choose an opponent that provides the best odds. I am playing devil's advocate here, but what sort of rule could we implement to prevent this?
The higher the tier, the less people will be there; there is a rule for you have to play people you haven't played in your tier yet. So this isn't much of a problem.

The implicit rule for all of smash is don't be a ****; if you want to try to game the system go ahead, but it gets more difficult as you go higher, since there will be less noobs up there.

What happens if two players cannot arrive at a consensus on where to play?
P2P is always preferred.
Maybe we should leave this alone until it begins to become an issue. Please provide reasons why this may not be a good idea. Let me know your thoughts.
I'm lazy

Nice picture btw

Last edited:

Komotonoto

Smash Journeyman
Warning Received
I believe in this ranking much more than the subjective, opinion based, ranking list. Not sure if I will participate, though.

I do have some problems with using the Japan ruleset, a partial reason as to why I will not sign up immediately. . A Small minority of players tend to use 4 stock DL only on Kaillera in NA, so you should not use this set of rules to determine ranking amongst NA players unless you wish to use the Japanese version of the game, and to also partially discredit the rankings. I also believe the requirement for a judge in-game is an poor decision, because this forces the players to play on server instead of p2p(or stream, which also may cause unwanted lag spiking). Playing on server, especially with an extra person, has the potential to create more lag spikes than necessary, and is generally considered worse than p2p play. Additionally, some players cannot even play on Smash FU(the main server currently) due to a currently unknown fake packet-loss issue.
Why are you entering this? Your profile pic isn't even a badger. FAKE A-SS NI-GGA

SuPeRbOoM

Smash Master
Is there a Skype group or something similar for this? As opposed to poking around on fu till you find someone to play.
There is a skype group for north america ssb, add my account "superboomfan" on skype. Make sure you state why you're messaging me and I'll add you to the group.

Last edited:

JosephZander

Smash Cadet
There is a skype group for north america ssb, add my account "superboomfan" on skype. Make sure you state why you're messaging me and I'll add you to the group.
I'm in that group, I just don't voice my opinion much haha, just curious if there was a group specifically for this, thought it could be convenient

onmy.

Smash Cadet
Question: Can play someone who I've already played if we've both dropped or gained a level? Like I've played Studstill, but if he were to drop into D, could I play him again?

Battlecow

Play to Win
not joining cuz of bo1/4 stock/char lock

seems like primarily a weeaboo thing and I don't like that, smash should be separate from strange cultural fascinations/inferiority complexes. Also we get a new online ranking system every couple of months

That's just my reasoning

Wish you guys luck though

Last edited:

The Star King

Smash Hero
I actually support DL only, lol. That's why I didn't mention it there.
I know you do.

I was getting at - when it's DL only you simply support it, but when it's a Japanese thing you don't support, you get to write it off by saying nothing more than it's a "weeboo thing". My joke was doing the same thing you were doing and writing off DL only because it's a "weaboo thing", knowing that you support it.

Explaining sucks.

Last edited:

Battlecow

Play to Win
No, your logic sucks. I (obviously) don't support DL only because it's Japanese, I support it because I think it's the way to go and I came to that conclusion more or less independently of my thoughts visavis the japanese system. You know me well enough to know that.

This is Karajan going "The japanese are more advanced/better/whatever, so I'm going to adopt their thing lock stock and barrel." I think he'd admit that. Adopting every aspect of their system and happening to come up with the same stage list are not the same.

The Star King

Smash Hero
I never said or thought that you supported DL only because it's Japanese. You just don't get me do you :(

Last edited:

Battlecow

Play to Win
I guess not.

"weeaboo thing" isn't me trying to dismiss anything with buzzwords, I just think that rulesets should be considered for their own merits and not because of our feelings about other cultures/scenes. Like, best of 1 is an example of an obviously undesirable element, but this system adopts it anyways simply because it's Japanese.

mixa

Banned via Warnings
wasn't the ladder like a bo3? and when you win you go up? this is 3 points you need to get to go up. and since you can go up to -2, there's more room to work with. if anything, this is more lenient
what is not japanese is the way matches are arranged in this version

onmy.

Smash Cadet
also, side note - sorry for my persistent commentary on this bracket layout, but there should probably be either an E level since there are way more brackets going up than going down. Alternatively, throw in a G or something where no one can drop out. Like if a player is at -2 and loses, he stays at -2 and his opponent gains. Why not do that rather than bump people out?

MrMarbles

Smash Lord
also, side note - sorry for my persistent commentary on this bracket layout, but there should probably be either an E level since there are way more brackets going up than going down. Alternatively, throw in a G or something where no one can drop out. Like if a player is at -2 and loses, he stays at -2 and his opponent gains. Why not do that rather than bump people out?
not much point in adding more levels until theres more people signed up. each level will already be thin on members once everyone starts to spread across the levels.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Eea7Hu-koGQ Shears Vs MrMarbles level C match. There was a ds at 3 stocks so we started over at 3 stocks and continued. Also audio didn't get recorded for some reason i will try to get that fixed for the next one

Last edited:

#HBC | ѕoup

The world is not beautiful, therefore it is.
will join, p2p only because FU is crap

captain falcon, hit me up in PM or Skype (Soupamario) but i don't really use it that much; also would like to be added to the skype group

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom