• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

It would be nice if there were playable villains that aren't slow as balls.

Status
Not open for further replies.

LovinMitts

Smash Journeyman
I mean really, every villain so far has been slow and clunky feeling. I'd like to see a villain newcomer that isn't big and slow. The fastest villain so far has been Wolf, but compared to the other two characters in his franchise, he's still rather sluggish. Suggestions for a quicker villain?

MIne:
A reworked Ganondorf, based on both OOT and TP, utilizing his sword and projectiles.

[inb4 Robotnik]

Girahim

Sylux

Mike Tyson (punchout, lel)

Vintage Creep

Smash Master
NNID
VintageCreep
Meta Knight kinda is.
Ridley could be fast, but, well... He cannot be... You know. Small.
Also Mewtwo, if you consider him a villain.

MasterOfKnees

Space Pirate
NNID
KneeMaster
Switch FC
SW-6310-1174-0352
That's quite the problem when the two frontrunner villain newcomers, Ridley and K. Rool, are bound to be slow. Heck, Sakurai even outright said that Ridley would be slow if anything.

I highly doubt they'd make a reworked Ganondorf or a reworked Mewtwo especially fast, but they might at least get out of the slow category.

As for Meta Knight, he was only a villain once, so I wouldn't say he counts.

Seems like Nintendo generally likes giving their stable villains a brutish nature.

Last edited:

egaddmario

Smash Champion
NNID
egaddmario
3DS FC
0946-2409-3627
That's quite the problem when the two frontrunner villain newcomers, Ridley and K. Rool, are bound to be slow. Heck, Sakurai even outright said that Ridley would be slow if anything.

I highly doubt they'd make a reworked Ganondorf or a reworked Mewtwo especially fast, but they might at least get out of the slow category.

Seems like Nintendo generally likes giving their stable villains a brutish nature.
I could see them reworking Ganondorf, especially if they're remaking Bowser. But i can't see them making him fast.

Smady

Smash Master
It's a symptom of how villains are designed, they need to be threatening and emotive (aiding to their size). I like playing as heavyweights, but a faster one is not bad, it's not unbalanced for a character to be fast and heavy, if done right.

I don't really mind, though. I consider Wolf a villain and he's not that slow. Plus as has been stated already, Ganondorf should have that walking and dashing speed buffed once he gets an original moveset.

Kickback

Smash Cadet

Well it all depends on what Sakurai does, K.rool is quite fast canonically based on DKC and DK64, although I think he will end up beeing around Bowserish speed maybe a little bit faster.

MasterOfKnees

Space Pirate
NNID
KneeMaster
Switch FC
SW-6310-1174-0352
Well it all depends on what Sakurai does, K.rool is quite fast canonically based on DKC and DK64, although I think he will end up beeing around Bowserish speed maybe a little bit faster.
He'll probably get a few surprisingly fast moves to fit his chaotic and unpredictable nature, but I don't think he'll generally be classified as anything faster than slow.

Last edited:

Tails_Glados_Puff

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Console ban tho
I think Wolf is a villain, so this isn't entirely true in my opinion. However, I do generally agree.

Shaking//very

Smash Apprentice
ganondorf should stay slow, even if he gets a new moveset. if he gets a new moveset and lets say black shadow gets his old one, black shadow should be just as fast as captain falcon, maybe a little slower. ganondorf is never really fast, neither in his games ( the sword clash from twilight princess is exciting, but never really dangerous... for your thumbs maybe ) also his speed maked up for his intense bulk ( you have no idea what you are saying if you say ganondorf sucks )

ridley should be fast but should have a ''slippery slide'' effect when bracing/turning, leaving himself open.

donkey kong is pretty much flawless, but i guess could use a speed boost. he's pretty fast. maybe the should add his roll attack

king k rool should get the same running bowser has this around, he's always been a pretty quick fella

dedede is perfect as he is

Last edited:

Tails_Glados_Puff

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Console ban tho
Same with Wario. He's not super slow.
That too. He's a beast in the air. I don't know though, I guess Wario and Wolf can be classified as anti heroes, not villains. Wolf, does help you in Assault, and Wario is nice enough to play sports with you. Same goes with Bowser too however.
:bowser2:

Shaking//very

Smash Apprentice
The thing is, a lot of villans never showed much agility in their own games. So, they are going to be slow in smash.
and the funny thing is, if new villains like king k rool, ridley or black shadow would be added, they would be the ones that could be fast and it would make sense

YoshiandToad

Smash Hero
Firstly; this is the best thread title around. Tells me everything I need to know.

The first thing I thought of was Wolf, but he's obviously an exception to the rule.

The majority of villains unfortunately are huge hulking brutes. As a result they end up as slow guys to balance their huge power.

Bowser Jr. IF he got in would naturally be a fast villain. Female villains are also nearly always not slow so long shots like Medusa and (even longer shot) Captain Syrup would most likely not suffer from "slow as balls" syndrome.

and the funny thing is, if new villains like king k rool, ridley or black shadow would be added, they would be the ones that could be fast and it would make sense
Forgive me as I'm probably forgetting due to his time out the spotlight, but is K. Rool considered fast? Black Shadow I get(F-Zero is anything but slow) and we've seen Ridley's air speed but I can't for the life of me picture K. Rool as a speedster. Not with that gut.

Shalashaska

Banned via Warnings
Forgive me as I'm probably forgetting due to his time out the spotlight, but is K. Rool considered fast? Black Shadow I get(F-Zero is anything but slow) and we've seen Ridley's air speed but I can't for the life of me picture K. Rool as a speedster. Not with that gut.
He's mostly seen as being able to be fast because of DKC1, as his dash attack (the only time he moved without jumping) was actually pretty fast, much faster than either of the Kongs' running speeds, if I remember correctly. I think he was also pretty quick on his feet in DK64, but I've never played that game or watched any playthroughs, so I can't say for sure.

Road Death Wheel

Smash Champion
NNID
Kairos-Xman
3DS FC
2406-5636-9789
Wolf himself is not a villain hes a rival. Sure hes done some bad things but he also dose some good things. When it comes to his crew he hates when they get hurt and has a just moral when it comes to being part of his crew.
1: No greed (one must look out for them team first and foremost before profit) Pigma got kicked out for it.
2: Never betray the team. another one of the reasons why pigma was kicked but also andrew.

All in all wolf aint to bad a person and even helped fox in some situations. Hes just more competitive on a dangerous level Xd

Groose

Smash Champion
This is part of the reason I'm supportive of Ghirahim. He's just so... Different from the other villains in every possible way. He'd solve villain speed problems and so much more.

Ganondorf is slow and powerful; Ghirahim is fast and nimble.

Ganondorf wears a full suit of black plate armour; Ghirahim wears a white, skin-tight suit.

Ganondorf is composed and turns to anger when he finally loses his cool; Ghirahim is easy to shake and is completely insane.

Ganondorf is ambitious and is all about power; Ghirahim is loyal and is all about subservience.

Ganondorf is intimidating; Ghirahim is flamboyant.

etc., etc., etc.

Last edited:

Welshy91

Smash Ace
K. Rool is incredibly agile for his size. Watch any of his boss fights for reference.

praline

the white witch
Switch FC
6178 82674988
I'm pretty sure Wario is considered a villain in terms of the Mario universe at least.

Speculator

Smash Ace
Wario, Wolf and Meta-Knight are all anti-heroes, not straight-up villains. They don't really act out of malice, it's more that they act for their own benefit. When it suits them, they're quite happy to team up with the protagonist.

The thing about full-on villains in SSB is that it's pretty much reserved for the main series antagonists. That's Bowser, Ganondorf and Dedede so far (unconfirmed characters like K. Rool would also fit into this; Ghirahim would not). They're kind of guys you see in final boss battles. Part of the nature of final bosses is that they have the advantage in size and power, but you have the advantage in speed and maneuverability. This is what makes them feel powerful and threatening, but also ultimately makes them vanquishable. That's why they end up big and heavy and slow in SSB, because it's the best way to represent them.

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik
Well, I think it is because bosses are usually very big in their games... so if people wanted to play as those bosses in fighting games, they are bound to be big, heavy, and slow for the sake of balance.

YoshiandToad

Smash Hero
Wario, Wolf and Meta-Knight are all anti-heroes, not straight-up villains. They don't really act out of malice, it's more that they act for their own benefit. When it suits them, they're quite happy to team up with the protagonist.

The thing about full-on villains in SSB is that it's pretty much reserved for the main series antagonists. That's Bowser, Ganondorf and Dedede so far (unconfirmed characters like K. Rool would also fit into this; Ghirahim would not). They're kind of guys you see in final boss battles. Part of the nature of final bosses is that they have the advantage in size and power, but you have the advantage in speed and maneuverability. This is what makes them feel powerful and threatening, but also ultimately makes them vanquishable. That's why they end up big and heavy and slow in SSB, because it's the best way to represent them.
Depending on the severity of what measure we use for what is a villain, Bowser and especially King Dedede aren't exactly straight up villains either since both have teamed up with their arch nemesis when it suits them.

That would currently leave Ganondorf as the only true villain. Unless he's playable in Hyrule Warriors teaming up with Link against an army.

Speculator

Smash Ace
Depending on the severity of what measure we use for what is a villain, Bowser and especially King Dedede aren't exactly straight up villains either since both have teamed up with their arch nemesis when it suits them.

That would currently leave Ganondorf as the only true villain. Unless he's playable in Hyrule Warriors teaming up with Link against an army.
What I mean is that they're the overall head bad guy of their respective franchises. As in, you have boss fights with Wolf every now and again, but he's not the series villain. That would probably be reserved for Andross. I just gave the team-up thing as an example of anti-heroes' relatively loose alignments, I didn't mean to imply it was exclusively an anti-hero trait.

UltimateWario

Smash Master

Aaaaaaaand that's why Ridley will be perfect.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom