• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Isaac for DLC - One day. Some day. Golden Sunday.

JohnnySparkxs

Smash Ace
Other characters in Smash have used moves they never used ingame but were done by someone else, such as Bowser Jr and the Mechakoopas. Probably some of Ness/Lucas' moveset were taken from other EB/Mother characters.
PK Fire, PK Thunder and PK Freeze were taken from Ness and Lucas party members (Paula, Poo and Kumatora).

So, I can see Isaac also being able to use the 4 elements, but I would prefer Isaac to be mainly earth based.

JaidynReiman

Smash Hero
NNID
JaidynReiman
I don't think Isaac would use anything other than Earth psynergy... with one possible exception, and that's Crush. Because, even though its a hand psynergy, apparently its technically considering Mars type.

Skyblade12

Banned via Warnings
3DS FC
1547-6378-0895
I don't think Isaac would use anything other than Earth psynergy... with one possible exception, and that's Crush. Because, even though its a hand psynergy, apparently its technically considering Mars type.
Isn't Lift Mercury?

LasermasterA

Smash Champion
NNID
LasermasterA
3DS FC
1392-5385-9326
I always had a soft spot for Karst. She's really cute, and she uses a scythe, which is super cool. :love:
Karst... and cute? Than I have just the picture for you.

People do agree with you, unless you drew this picture yourself :p :

Bishoujo Karst!.jpg

Did that soft spot increase even more now?

JohnnySparkxs

Smash Ace
Yes and so is Cloak, that could be used as a spot dodge. And Move is also a Mars type in Golden Sun and Golden Sun: TLA. In Dark Dawn, it became Venus type.

Karst is as cute as vengeful, at least towards Isaac.

But Isaac murdered her sister, so who can really blame her right?

IvanQuote

Smash Ace
NNID
ivanquote
3DS FC
1693-3075-2999
There's one thing that bothers me about the Final Boss to Golden Sun DD; for GS1, it practically ambushes you after you defeat the penultimate bosses. For TLA, it gives you no break in pace as it transitions formes. In DD, after it goes into it's second phase it...just sits around while you manage your djinn, heal up, swap your party around, have tea with Arcanus, post a selfie on Twitter, and god knows what else to prepare for the battle with no real explained reason. I kinda wish someone could make a comic lampshading this blip in logic, as I can't draw well.

Falgor

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
3652-0587-5880

Actually, I'd find her cuter without a smile: I like how she frowns and looks all serious.

But aside from that, yeah, the picture itself is perfectly fine. ;)

It's a bit off-topic since it's not exactly Golden Sun related, but she always made me think of another character from a book series: Kira from the Knights of Emerald.

Funny thing, it's heroic fantasy, and the characters have powers very similar to Psynergy.
And she's not partly dragon like Adepts of the Mars Clan, but she's partly... insect.
She doesn't use a scythe but a double sword, though.

Amberloo

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Sashaloo
3DS FC
1203-9998-9799
I'd like for his moveset to be mostly psynergy, with some mild swordplay on the side- preferably with the spells that utilize him attacking with a sword, such as Planet Diver and Death Plunge. It shouldn't be hard to find enough moves to cover all the bases, considering how many different classes give him varied psynergy. Brute/Illusionist/Ninja/Samurai give Isaac plenty to work with. Honestly, I feel like if he only had Venus psynergy, it'd be a little too boring and wouldn't represent the series as a whole too well. I mean, Zelda never used Din's Fire/Nayru's Love/Farore's Wind in OoT, but here we are. Ness and Lucas don't learn PK Fire, Freeze, or Thunder in their games, but here we are. Robin can't normally use dark elemental magic, but here- okay, you get the point. :rolleyes:

Spootondorf

Smash Apprentice
Honestly, I feel like if he only had Venus psynergy, it'd be a little too boring and wouldn't represent the series as a whole too well. I mean, Zelda never used Din's Fire/Nayru's Love/Farore's Wind in OoT, but here we are. Ness and Lucas don't learn PK Fire, Freeze, or Thunder in their games, but here we are. Robin can't normally use dark elemental magic, but here- okay, you get the point. :rolleyes:
I would be fine with Isaac representing the entire series, but I take that to mean something entirely different. After all, if Smash had Ganondorf but not Link, we wouldn't want Ganondorf using Light Arrows and the Hookshot, right? I think Isaac should be able to use any move he can possibly use or learn in the world of Golden Sun. So that includes anything from any class he can take on, as well as Psynergies gifted only to Lost Age-exclusive party members, such as Felix's learning of Sand. I'd really rather not see Isaac using Diamond Berg, Fume, Outer Space, or other moves that we can't even conceive of him using in the world of Golden Sun. I want Isaac to be Isaac, not some amalgamation of multiple other characters. He's got plenty of moves that are viable for Smash, and not seeing those used to their potential would be like a slap in the face to me as a GS fan. But even though he can learn much Psynergy from other elements, he should stay Venus-themed overall to better reflect the fact that he's a Venus Adept.

As for the utility Psynergies of other elements, they wouldn't bother me at all as moves for Isaac unless they had an obvious elemental theme to them. For example, I wouldn't want to see Isaac using the Cyclone Chip or the Douse Drop, but I'm perfectly fine with him using the Pound Cube, since he already has a hand-based move from the get-go.

Last edited:

Arteen

Smash Lord
I'd prefer a Venus focus for Isaac.
  1. It'd give him a consistent theme to work his moves around.
  2. It'd distinguish from the other characters who use a variety of elemental powers, particularly Robin.
  3. Earth-based powers are a rarity in Smash and would help him stand out.
  4. Isaac has so many abilities it'd be impossible to represent them all.
Off the top of my head, he's got move, lift, pound, carry, catch, force, crush, scoop and grip just with his psychic hand. He's got crazy one-off abilities like stopping time, going invisible or teleporting. There are dozens of unique djinn and dozens of summons and the set/standby/recovery system and class changes. There are different weapons and all sorts of unleashes. There are four elements worth of psynergy, and even some non-elemental abilities too. There are all sorts of direct attack abilities, but there are also heal spells, buffs and debuffs, not to mention the really crazy stuff like summoning emus and demons!

It'd take the entire playable cast in Smash to really represent everything Golden Sun is about.

Kenith

Overkill Sarcasm
The Fabulous Friendly Super Sparkle Train
NNID
RipoffmanXKTG
3DS FC
4210-4224-9442
I don't know much about Golden Sun, but having Isaac use non-Venus elemental spells seems like a bad move. And it's also not comparable to Ness, Robin or Zelda.

Ness and Lucas borrow moves from their comrades, true, but they're just different psychic abilities that aren't really tied to the characters that use them (except PSI Rockin', which Ness still does not use :(). Robin can use Nosferatu, just not as a Tactician (and it still fits into the theme of him using different tomes).
And Zelda uses Din's Fire, Nayru's Love, and Farore's Wind, which are really just spells (supposedly) taught to anyone who can use them. They're not really Link exclusive. Not to mention Zelda IS a magic user besides.

Meanwhile, Isaac is (?) trained to use a specific type of magic, Venus, and everyone else specializes in other magic types so, having him be a godlike magician that can use every type of magic is not really accurate.

Also, imo, Isaac using every element in his moveset would bog him down and make him feel very generic. I think focus on stretching Earth magic to it's limits is a much better approach.

JaidynReiman

Smash Hero
NNID
JaidynReiman
I don't know much about Golden Sun, but having Isaac use non-Venus elemental spells seems like a bad move. And it's also not comparable to Ness, Robin or Zelda.

Ness and Lucas borrow moves from their comrades, true, but they're just different psychic abilities that aren't really tied to the characters that use them (except PSI Rockin', which Ness still does not use :(). Robin can use Nosferatu, just not as a Tactician (and it still fits into the theme of him using different tomes).
And Zelda uses Din's Fire, Nayru's Love, and Farore's Wind, which are really just spells (supposedly) taught to anyone who can use them. They're not really Link exclusive. Not to mention Zelda IS a magic user besides.

Meanwhile, Isaac is (?) trained to use a specific type of magic, Venus, and everyone else specializes in other magic types so, having him be a godlike magician that can use every type of magic is not really accurate.

Also, imo, Isaac using every element in his moveset would bog him down and make him feel very generic. I think focus on stretching Earth magic to it's limits is a much better approach.
The only exception I give to this is the hand psynergy, since they don't really apply to specific elements, even if some are "technically" considered a certain element. I definitely don't see Isaac using psynergy other than Venus otherwise, and with just Venus alone he's incredibly original.

Amberloo

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Sashaloo
3DS FC
1203-9998-9799
Honestly, yeah, it would be so much better for him to strictly be a Venus-user in Smash rather than his moveset being the different elements spread thin--ultimately, Isaac should do what Isaac does best. I think it's just that for me, Isaac really goes full badass when you get access to some of the higher tier jobs, like Ninja and Samurai, where he does have a small arsenal of Mars and Jupiter psynergy. It definitely makes sense for the main focus to be on stuff like Quake, Gaia, Ragnarok, Spire, and Growth, but I think it wouldn't hurt to sprinkle in Gale, Blast, or Planet Diver on the side- maybe while he's up in the air, since it may be a bit more difficult to work with Venus attacks mid-air. (That, and I wouldn't want to see another Little Mac where his abilities could be garbage in the air because they're meant to be used on the ground.) Maybe I'll try to finish up my ideal moveset for him to better illustrate my thoughts? :(

I guess I'm more rescinding my argument about making him like Ness and co. I don't think what I wanted to say was to make him borrow stuff from his cohorts, but rather that I hope they look at more than just the surface of who Isaac is and really dig deep into what he's capable of, because as we all know, there's quiiiite a bit he can do! Regardless, though, I'll be super stoked if he gets in, however his moveset looks. (As long as it isn't like, 60+% swordplay or something. Then I'll be kinda grumpy as I purchase the DLC without hesitation and endlessly play as him. I'll just be SLIGHTLY LESS GLEEFUL ABOUT IT.)

JaidynReiman

Smash Hero
NNID
JaidynReiman

Technically, Isaac wouldn't need to borrow moves from his comrades even if he used multiple types of Psynergy. Its not really comparable because any character can use any type of psynergy depending on the Djinn you give them. So, that part I disagree with; its perfectly acceptable and canon for Adepts to use any other types of Psynergy. Now, there are SOME psynergy spells that are exclusive to a set number of characters no matter how many Djinn you give them, but the types actually aren't.

That said its definitely preferred to have Isaac exclusive to Venus. It makes things much easier to define his moveset on, and Earth is entirely unique as is. You can make TWO characters with earth-based attacks. One could be specifically nature-based, and one using primarily attacks fighting with the earth itself. Earth is incredibly under-utilized in Smash, with the only remotedly close character (Ivysaur) having been cut, and one other character having a single attack where he throws boulders at enemies (Charizard).

TeamFlareZakk

Making Super Smash Bros a more beautiful world!
I usually have Isaac on the Master or Chaos Lord or Slayer class, so here are the Djinn I would attach to myself (considering I'm also a Earth Adept):

Master class: Jupiter Djinn: Gust, Squall, Waft, Wheeze and Whorl. Mars Djinn: Torch, Shine, Fury and Char.
Chaos lord: Venus Djinn: Flint, Geode. Mars Djinn: Forge, Fever, Torch, Shine, Fury, Char and Shine.
Slayer class: Flint, Geode, Echo, Bane, Sap, Ground, Steel, Mold and Petra.

So, to keep this thread active, which is your favorite villain of the Golden Sun series and why?
Agatio!! Look at him, he's huge!

I like Agatio because he just seems like a legit boss, he's big, powerful, and he uses unique psynergy attacks that nobody in the entire series can use, to me Agatio always had the look of actually being able to be the main antagonist of the series.

Falgor

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
3652-0587-5880
Earth is incredibly under-utilized in Smash, with the only remotedly close character (Ivysaur) having been cut, and one other character having a single attack where he throws boulders at enemies (Charizard).
It's even funnier when you consider that Rock Smash is actually a Fighting type move, in Pokémon. :laugh:

Agatio!! Look at him, he's huge!

I like Agatio because he just seems like a legit boss, he's big, powerful, and he uses unique psynergy attacks that nobody in the entire series can use, to me Agatio always had the look of actually being able to be the main antagonist of the series.
Yeah, Rising Dragon is without a shadow of a doubt one of the coolest Psynergy. Too bad you can't actually use it yourself. :ohwell:

Accursed

Smash Journeyman
Yeah, Rising Dragon is without a shadow of a doubt one of the coolest Psynergy. Too bad you can't actually use it yourself. :ohwell:
Wasn't there a weapon with Rising Dragon as the unleash? Masamune, was it? All I remember was that you needed to transfer Force from the OG GS to get it.

Sabrewulf238

Smash Hero
I think Isaac would get away with using hand psynergy even if they happen to not be Venus psynergy. I mean it's not like the hands are going to have flames shooting out of them if they're Mars psynergy.

Yeah I think his appeal would be diluted if they gave him fire, wind and water attacks. Although I said before it might be interesting if he got attacks that mixed the earth element with the other three types. Like:

Earth + Fire = Eruption
Earth + Wind = Sandstorm
Earth + Water = Swamp/Mud Attack

That way they could represent that aspect of him while still being true to his Venus/Earth roots.

Last edited:

Liverpool19

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Clemo13
I never knew that move was technically a Mars Psynergy, I had always thought it as both Venus and Mars and I have a similar situation with the other hand abilities learned throughout the journey.

Skyblade12

Banned via Warnings
3DS FC
1547-6378-0895
I never knew that move was technically a Mars Psynergy, I had always thought it as both Venus and Mars and I have a similar situation with the other hand abilities learned throughout the journey.
There are actually no dual-element Psynergy (or, for that matter, Summons). Even Psynergy/Summons unlocked by mixing elements with Djinn are classified as one element or another for the game's purposes. For Psynergy, you need to look at the little dot next to the spell in the menu.

Starless

Smash Cadet
Most of the hand Psynergies I did not see their element coming; I always associate move with Isaac so I assumed it's Venus (probably why it's changed in DD). Also how is Lift supposed to be Mercury?

BoltDragon

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Mario_Seth
3DS FC
0989-2878-5909
Golden Sun Rules! Issac is surely going t win the DLC vote for smash! With this thread still growning stronger, nothing can stop Issac from achieving the Poll position!!! I hope he wins, beause I could use another Swordfighter character.

Last edited:

Chapter Serf

Ace Skell Pilot
NNID
ChapterSerf
3DS FC
3969-7074-2956
I hope he wins, beause I could use another Swordfighter character.
This is the complete opposite of what we're trying to achieve here. Isaac gets negative press and attention because he happens to wear a sword in a lot his artwork. And people don't want another "JRPG Anime FE/FElike swordsman". So they oppose/don't support Isaac because, in their ignorance, they think Isaac is just another "JRPG Anime FE/FElike swordsman" when he most definitely is not. In our minds, the only pure sword attacks he would have are his basic jabs. Any other sword attack would be a Djinn attack as well. If he even used his sword for the Djinn attack.

Last edited:

BluePikmin11

Akko is my dear daughter!
NNID
blue

Chapter Serf

Ace Skell Pilot
NNID
ChapterSerf
3DS FC
3969-7074-2956
So here's a question for everyone:

In the Miracle of Miracles, and that infinitesimal chance of Isaac actually getting that coveted berth, I know most of us (me included!!!) will charge the New Isaac Subforum and immediately start setting up threads, nominating Mods, and raiding the Robin, Shulk and Zelda Social Threads in celebration.
I could easily see us having a fun and rambunctious Isaac Social Thread, like the Robin, Shulk and Zelda threads. Not the awfulness of the Link Social Thread or the Deadness of the Star Fox Social Threads. A good, solid, active, wild and fun Social Thread.
Say that glorious day does actually happen, and yet, another wild ballot appears! Will any of you go out and support and vote for a different new character?
Me? While I will indeed get into Isaac and join you all in the glorious Halls of Valhalla Isaac, there are a couple of characters (probably REALLY long shots, even longer shots than Isaac) that I could possibly vote for.

Last edited:

Skyblade12

Banned via Warnings
3DS FC
1547-6378-0895

In the Miracle of Miracles, and that infinitesimal chance of Isaac actually getting that coveted berth, I know most of us (me included!!!) will charge the New Isaac Subforum and immediately start setting up threads, nominating Mods, and raiding the Robin, Shulk and Zelda Social Threads in celebration.
I could easily see us having a fun and rambunctious Isaac Social Thread, like the Robin, Shulk and Zelda threads. Not the awfulness of the Link Social Thread or the Deadness of the Star Fox Social Threads. A good, solid, active, wild and fun Social Thread.
Say that glorious day does actually happen, and yet, another wild ballot appears! Will any of you go out and support and vote for a different new character?
Me? While I will indeed get into Isaac and join you all in the glorious Halls of Valhalla Isaac, there are a couple of characters (probably REALLY long shots, even longer shots than Isaac) that I could possibly vote for.
If Isaac gets in, there are a LOT of other characters I would support going forward, including K. Rool (if he doesn't make it in first). Currently, I'm only actually supporting Isaac until he gets in.

JohnnySparkxs

Smash Ace

If Isaac gets in and we indeed get a new ballot, I would vote for Lloyd Irving, while he's another "swordsman", with his techs from the TOS games, as well as the fact that he would be the first dual sword wielder in Smash (inb4 what about Pit?), he has potencial to be a pretty unique character. I would also vote for Zero or Phoenix Wright, but we already have 2 Capcom characters.

Skyberry Symphony has released a new music, this time, it's a remix for Saturos Battle theme.

D

Deleted member

If Isaac gets confirmed, i still have K.Rool, Bandanna Dee, Wolf and Paper Mario left. Although when Smash DLC ends i will take a LONG break from speculation and Smashboards (maybe even permanently).

IvanQuote

Smash Ace
NNID
ivanquote
3DS FC
1693-3075-2999

To put it simply, if Isaac got in, I wouldn't even care if Blue and Blade from Super Smash Flash got in. If Isaac gets in, nothing else after that would bring down my perception of Smash 4.

Schnee117

Too Majestic for Gender
Switch FC
6660-1506-8804

I support far several characters for Smash. I'd be satisfied with Isaac, K Rool, Wolf and Snake being DLC though I'd settle for 1 of them.
Then on to Smash 5 with whatever was missing from Smash 4 and any new characters.

Falgor

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
3652-0587-5880

If Isaac makes it in the game, I'll start to openly support more characters: Chibi-Robo, an Advance Wars rep, Chorus Men or any other Rhythm Heaven Rep, and Ray MK III from Custom Robo.

Just a side note about Smashified: The hints for the 11th character are: It's a girl from a Nintendo franchise already represented in Smashified, and she seems to have a lot of blue on her.

While everyone speculates Kumatora will finally be Smashified (and I agree: That makes plenty of sense), I just wanted to throw in the wild idea of Mia being Smashified just after Isaac. It will most probably not happen, but who knows?! :awesome:

True Blue Warrior

Smash Hero
NNID
TrueBlueSM
3DS FC
2036-7619-4276
If Isaac makes it in the game, I'll start to openly support more characters: Chibi-Robo, an Advance Wars rep, Chorus Men or any other Rhythm Heaven Rep, and Ray MK III from Custom Robo.

Just a side note about Smashified: The hints for the 11th character are: It's a girl from a Nintendo franchise already represented in Smashified, and she seems to have a lot of blue on her.

While everyone speculates Kumatora will finally be Smashified (and I agree: That makes plenty of sense), I just wanted to throw in the wild idea of Mia being Smashified just after Isaac. It will most probably not happen, but who knows?! :awesome:
Krystal?

Last edited:

9Blades

Smash Ace
NNID
Venusboshi04
3DS FC
4210-4504-3290

Probably Snake, assuming he doesn't get in. Then Waluigi and Chrono.

Skyblade12

Banned via Warnings
3DS FC
1547-6378-0895
Probably Snake, assuming he doesn't get in. Then Waluigi and Chrono.
His name is Crono! No "H". Character names in Chrono Trigger only have five letters.

Most playable characters and NPCs in the game follow this rule, even those whose "actual" names aren't their in-game names (Nadia, Glenn, R-66Y etcetera). The exceptions are the Gurus, and Prometheus.

Top Bottom