• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Isaac for DLC - One day. Some day. Golden Sunday.

Adeptmune

Smash Apprentice
Erm.
So!
The thing going on with the Sm4sh round-table, the whole embargo bit, do you guys think that it might've been a full roster reveal?
I personally think it might have been, but who knows. It might've just been a character reveal, rather than a full roster show-off.

Either way, I hope the info gets out soon. I'd prefer if it came from Nintendo, of course, but the tension is killing me and I really want to know what was talked about.
I suppose that Isaac could still get in (though in my case, it'd be a bit of an issue of "too little too late"), but it is looking pretty bleak at this point. Seems like his two niches, a magic swordsman that uses buffs and debuffs, have been taken by Robin and Shulk. I suppose that Earth magic could make for a unique playstyle, but who knows if that's be enough in Sakurai's eyes?
I personally disagree-- there's a lot left that Isaac has that's unique to him.
Especially, uh, well, the "Hand" Psynergies.
Sakurai could've literally made practically the whole moveset based off of those (with maybe some Growth/Spire/Ragnarok/etc thrown in, because earth powers/magic have yet to be used by any character on the current confirmed roster). Neither Shulk nor Robin have anything like Move with their psychic/magic abilities. Or Growth, or Spire, or Quake, or Gaia, or Nettle, or Ragnarok/Odyssey.

Robin/Shulk don't take away from what Isaac could offer. If people are going to put him into "well he's a guy with magic/psychic powers and a sword" category without actually really looking into his possible movesets, well.... that's more than a little disappointing.

JaidynReiman

Smash Hero
NNID
JaidynReiman
Erm.
So!
The thing going on with the Sm4sh round-table, the whole embargo bit, do you guys think that it might've been a full roster reveal?
I personally think it might have been, but who knows. It might've just been a character reveal, rather than a full roster show-off.

Either way, I hope the info gets out soon. I'd prefer if it came from Nintendo, of course, but the tension is killing me and I really want to know what was talked about.

I personally disagree-- there's a lot left that Isaac has that's unique to him.
Especially, uh, well, the "Hand" Psynergies.
Sakurai could've literally made practically the whole moveset based off of those (with maybe some Growth/Spire/Ragnarok/etc thrown in, because earth powers/magic have yet to be used by any character on the current confirmed roster). Neither Shulk nor Robin have anything like Move with their psychic/magic abilities. Or Growth, or Spire, or Quake, or Gaia, or Nettle, or Ragnarok/Odyssey.

Robin/Shulk don't take away from what Isaac could offer. If people are going to put him into "well he's a guy with magic/psychic powers and a sword" category without actually really looking into his possible movesets, well.... that's more than a little disappointing.
I think a full roster reveal is quite likely, along with stages and game modes. They're probably preparing to announce a ton of stuff about the game very soon.

And yes, I thought about the hand psynergies as well. That alone would be a completely unique mechanic. There's too much stuff Isaac can do to just ignore that. Dark Dawn even added MORE hand psynergies than the originals.

Adeptmune

Smash Apprentice
I think a full roster reveal is quite likely, along with stages and game modes. They're probably preparing to announce a ton of stuff about the game very soon.

And yes, I thought about the hand psynergies as well. That alone would be a completely unique mechanic. There's too much stuff Isaac can do to just ignore that. Dark Dawn even added MORE hand psynergies than the originals.
Hopefully "very soon" is actually "very soon," because dang, the hype is getting pretty real around the forums... for what reason, I don't know, but I don't want to see anyone explode before any information is given out!

I think his AT demonstrated very well that his Hand Psynergies are really useful. And yes, GS:DD did add a lot of others that would make the moveset possibilities even MORE expansive...
Hum. I don't know, I'm just getting a little tired of the whole "But. Swordsman!" thing, haha.

Aureola

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Queenrider
Hopefully "very soon" is actually "very soon," because dang, the hype is getting pretty real around the forums... for what reason, I don't know, but I don't want to see anyone explode before any information is given out!

I think his AT demonstrated very well that his Hand Psynergies are really useful. And yes, GS:DD did add a lot of others that would make the moveset possibilities even MORE expansive...
Hum. I don't know, I'm just getting a little tired of the whole "But. Swordsman!" thing, haha.
At the very latest, we'll know everything the day after the Japanese release, so we don't have too much longer.

Yes, they are very handy (pardon the pun). They could take up all his specials and we'd still have leftovers for other moves.

The whole swordsman thing is worse if you love Fire Emblem, believe me. People seem to think that's all anyone uses there.

Adeptmune

Smash Apprentice
At the very latest, we'll know everything the day after the Japanese release, so we don't have too much longer.

Yes, they are very handy (pardon the pun). They could take up all his specials and we'd still have leftovers for other moves.

The whole swordsman thing is worse if you love Fire Emblem, believe me. People seem to think that's all anyone uses there.
Mhhh that still feels like such a long time.
'Instant gratification' is my middle name, I think. xD

Exactly! So yes, I still believe that no confirmed characters really cut into Isaac's ability to be unique.

Well...*points to past mains* I can say I'm a fan of Fire Emblem, and I understand that feel. :T

Retroend

Retro Gamer
NNID
Re7ron
3DS FC
3669-1436-3958
Switch FC
SW-5947-2141-6122
at this point i've come to accept the roster for what it is (even with those filthy clones of dr mario and dark pit.) however, i still have hope for Isaac for DLC if he doesn't make it in the initial roster. when that time comes, all of us need to rouse up and let our voices be heard for Isaac. he deserves to be playable. and golden sun needs to be represented so new players can play the games and start asking for more sequels. this is the way to make golden sun be even more known and continue to build on the franchise.

LasermasterA

Smash Champion
NNID
LasermasterA
3DS FC
1392-5385-9326
Yea Isaac's chances haven't changed much and as I have said multiple times, Sakurai must have looked at the best Assist trophy and considered him for inclusion, and since Isaac is too awesome he would have included.

If Isaac is not there, we can all rally behind him for DLC like @ Retroend Retroend said. In this age and time, and Nintendo's recent moves regarding DLC, inclusion of characters excluded from the main roster is not impossible.

We are and will rally for Isaac so this awesome character can make a memorable entry in Smash and make Golden Sun known to the unknowing masses! And we might also get a new game at that :)

Last edited:

Sabrewulf238

Smash Hero
You know I think it's interesting to note Xerneas is an unlockable (at least on the 3DS version)

So if Isaac hasn't been revealed as an assist yet it isn't necessarily because he's an unlockable.

(I've said it before but Isaac still has a great moveset going for him that neither Robin or Shulk can touch. For one thing Isaac doesn't even need to use his sword. If Isaac used hand psynergy, earth psynergy, djinn and summons but not his sword....nobody would be saying "but it doesn't feel like Isaac because he's not using a sword".

I'm pretty sure Sakurai could create a great moveset based solely around Isaac's Utility (Hand) psynergy and his earth psynergy.)

Last edited:

LasermasterA

Smash Champion
NNID
LasermasterA
3DS FC
1392-5385-9326
You know I think it's interesting to note Xerneas is an unlockable (at least on the 3DS version)

So if Isaac hasn't been revealed as an assist yet it isn't necessarily because he's an unlockable.

(I've said it before but Isaac still has a great moveset going for him that neither Robin or Shulk can touch. For one thing Isaac doesn't even need to use his sword. If Isaac used hand psynergy, earth psynergy, djinn and summons but not his sword....nobody would be saying "but it doesn't feel like Isaac because he's not using a sword".

I'm pretty sure Sakurai could create a great moveset based solely around Isaac's Utility (Hand) psynergy and his earth psynergy.)
Exactly! Isaac can just walk in without his sword and still be a major contender! He can still summon Judgement without the sword and a lot of psynergy don't even need the sword. Plus it will be a good homage to the character's AT appearance if he just comes in without the sword. He would be like, take that sword users, I don't need no sword to be badass (I know double negative but it sounds better).

He would be a sword user who abandoned his sword just to be awesome! Who needs a sword anyway when you can summon meteors, gods, goddesses, death angels :p Also cause Earthquakes, grow huge spiky vines, summon icebergs, as well as summon tornadoes and showers opponents with Lightning from the heavens! And much more!

Heck that makes it sound wicked! Plus no one can go, oh look, another sword user! Plus as Sakurai has taken some liberty with characters, he could possibly use move to block as well as counter!

Woah! That has hyped me up! Isaac without a sword is still badass if not even more! He can have the sword slung on his shoulder the WHOLE time!

Last edited:

Turmalinium

Smash Apprentice
I dont know why everyone is always saying that Isaac would have a sword. Sakurai could easily give Isaac a Axe or a Mace to fight with. He can also use these weapons in his games after all.

Last edited:

LasermasterA

Smash Champion
NNID
LasermasterA
3DS FC
1392-5385-9326
I dont know why everyone is always saying that Isaac would have a sword. Sakurai could easily give Isaac a Axe or a Mace to fight with. He can also use these weapons in the game after all.
Heck even no weapon sounds amazing now. He is an ADEPT after all.

Skyblade12

Banned via Warnings
3DS FC
1547-6378-0895
I dont know why everyone is always saying that Isaac would have a sword. Sakurai could easily give Isaac a Axe or a Mace to fight with. He can also use these weapons in the game after all.
Starter weapon, best weapon, and weapon in official artwork. He's associated with the sword, even though he can use others. Similar to Chrom and Falchion, despite being able to use bows and lances.

I still think Isaac's ideal play style would have minimal sword work, though.

Turmalinium

Smash Apprentice
Starter weapon, best weapon, and weapon in official artwork. He's associated with the sword, even though he can use others. Similar to Chrom and Falchion, despite being able to use bows and lances.

I still think Isaac's ideal play style would have minimal sword work, though.
Even if he uses his sword Sakurai could still make his sword attacks unique with weapon unleashes.

JaidynReiman

Smash Hero
NNID
JaidynReiman
Yea Isaac's chances haven't changed much and as I have said multiple times, Sakurai must have looked at the best Assist trophy and considered him for inclusion, and since Isaac is too awesome he would have included.

If Isaac is not there, we can all rally behind him for DLC like @ Retroend Retroend said. In this age and time, and Nintendo's recent moves regarding DLC, inclusion of characters excluded from the main roster is not impossible.

We are and will rally for Isaac so this awesome character can make a memorable entry in Smash and make Golden Sun known to the unknowing masses! And we might also get a new game at that :)
Agreed. The fact of the matter is, people keep claiming that Isaac would just be an unlockable AT again, but there's nothing at all suggesting that to be the case. In fact, Xerneas was revealed VERY EARLY ON, despite the fact that Xerneas is unlockable. This alone is a huge boon for Isaac.

"Isaac should've been shown off by now!"

"He was an unlockable AT in Brawl, no reason to show him off."

"...but Xerneas has been known since the Smash Bros. Direct and is an unlockable Pokeball."

Now we have a counter to all the naysayers. :p

BSTCloud

Smash Apprentice
You know what? At least we have something to get pissed off if Isaac ends up being an AT.
This didn't happen to Waluigi fans for example. Why? He was deconfirmed early, and we're still waiting 2 weeks off release date.

(Same can be applied to Ridley fans for example, they can blame the teasing if their character is a stage hazard)

It would not change the fact that our chars didn't achieve playable status, but at least we'd feel better about it, and it's that we have to care about the most after all, you know :p

Last edited:

JaidynReiman

Smash Hero
NNID
JaidynReiman
You know what? At least we have something to get pissed off if Isaac ends up being an AT.
This didn't happen to Waluigi fans for example. Why? He was deconfirmed early, and we're still waiting 2 weeks off release date.

(Same can be applied to Ridley fans for example, they can blame the teasing if their character is a stage hazard)

It would not change the fact that our chars didn't achieve playable status, but at least we'd feel better about it, and it's that we have to care about the most after all, you know :p
I fully agree. Isaac was one of the most wanted characters coming into this game, he should've been deconfirmed right away, but he wasn't.

LasermasterA

Smash Champion
NNID
LasermasterA
3DS FC
1392-5385-9326
I fully agree. Isaac was one of the most wanted characters coming into this game, he should've been deconfirmed right away, but he wasn't.
Which still keeps our hopes alive! Nintendo has to know about this after all! Isaac has been wanted since Brawl and a lot of people were disappointed at his assist trophy appearance but we still persisted. Now it is a different ball game altogether. Nintendo has included some favourites, teased others, while it has also outright deconfirmed some characters.

Isaac on the other "hand", has not yet gone through any of these! He has not yet shown to be included, not been teased and not been deconfirmed. I will say that unlockable AT or not does not matter since this is a newer game and an unlockable Pokemon and a previous unlockable trophy has been shown off. Nintendo, has Xenoblade to fall on for a more action oriented JRPG with more real time combat whereas Golden Sun is their turn based classical JRPG!

They should indeed reveal him as playable, our wait has gone for long enough waiting for him since we saw him as an AT in Brawl! That was in 2008!

BSTCloud

Smash Apprentice
At this point, if he is indeed an AT (or does not even get represented) in this game, I would be somehwat disappointed but not entirely since I'd still wonder a thing that would buggle my mind more than his deconfirmation:

Why?
Why keep the (still existent) fanbase waiting for a character previously featured in the games to disconfirm him in the end?
What would be the point? Did Sakurai forget Golden Sun exists or something?
I seriously don't get it. Did he mention about why Isaac was an AT in brawl and not a playable character?

I get Isaac not being shown in brawl's announcement period, since we had no reasons to believe he was in to begin with, but... now we do, even if he's in AT form. And he's not been shown yet.

The fact that he was featured in brawl means there will be -a somewhat bigger group of- people wondering how he will be featured in this game. It's not like Takamaru, Chrom, or Ghirahim who did not appear in previous smash games (in terms of 'their roles were revealed pretty late'). We KNOW as a fact Isaac is part of Smash's universe, and Sakurai knows (or should, at least know) this.

This is, seriously, the biggest reason why I think he even has chances to be playable to begin with at this point: the fact that he's not been DC'd yet. What would be the reason for hiding his trophy if he's not playable to begin with? What are we going to fear? Not having his AT? Oh my god, hold me because I'd cry (no)

And if he's not playable we better get an explanation.

Last edited:

JaidynReiman

Smash Hero
NNID
JaidynReiman
At this point, if he is indeed an AT (or does not even get represented) in this game, I would be somehwat disappointed but not entirely since I'd still wonder a thing that would buggle my mind more than his deconfirmation:

Why?
Why keep the (still existent) fanbase waiting for a character previously featured in the games to disconfirm him in the end?
I seriously don't get it. Did he mention about why Isaac was an AT in brawl and not a playable character?

I get Isaac not being shown in brawl's announcement period, since we had no reasons to believe he was in to begin with, but... now we do, even if he's in AT form. And he's not been shown yet.

The fact that he was featured in brawl means there will be -a somewhat bigger group of- people wondering how he will be featured in this game. It's not like Takamaru, Chrom, or Ghirahim who did not appear in previous smash games (in terms of 'their roles were revealed pretty late'). We KNOW as a fact Isaac is part of Smash's universe, and Sakurai knows (or should, at least know) this.

This is, seriously, the biggest reason why I think he even has chances to be playable to begin with at this point: the fact that he's not been DC'd yet. What would be the reason for hiding his trophy if he's not playable to begin with? What are we going to fear? Not having his AT? Oh my god, hold me because I'd cry (no)

Completely agreed. I still think Isaac is one of the most likely newcomers at this point, although I'm not dead-set on him appearing and I'm prepared for a deconfirmation. But I still think he's in.

LasermasterA

Smash Champion
NNID
LasermasterA
3DS FC
1392-5385-9326

Why?

That's because they want Matthew to be trophy and Isaac to be playable :p

But still very nice argument, I agree with you!

Completely agreed. I still think Isaac is one of the most likely newcomers at this point, although I'm not dead-set on him appearing and I'm prepared for a deconfirmation. But I still think he's in.
With you both on that! Isaac is still a likely confirmation and I will rally for DLC if not.

Although I still think he is in and will be announced as playable soon!

Last edited:

JaidynReiman

Smash Hero
NNID
JaidynReiman
That's because they want Matthew to be trophy and Isaac to be playable :p

But still very nice argument, I agree with you!

With you both on that! Isaac is still a likely confirmation and I will rally for DLC if not.

Although I still think he is in and will be announced as playable soon!
I don't think he'll be announced at this point, he'd be a secret character.

LasermasterA

Smash Champion
NNID
LasermasterA
3DS FC
1392-5385-9326
I don't think he'll be announced at this point, he'd be a secret character.
Aw man! That would give us a long period to wait.... And I want an epic trailer for him!

Unless he is unlocked with an awesome video...

BSTCloud

Smash Apprentice
Yeah, I want a great hype-inducing trailer too, but at this point we better not complain as long as he is playable :p

Last edited:

Staarih

Smash Master
I have a strong hunch DLC might be the way to go with our Golden boy, which I would be 100% fine with. I personally can't see him in the main roster anymore because of all these (damn) leaks and my horrible skepticism towards everything haha, Sakurai could surprise me though (do it Sakurai!). If they want to add newcomers via DLC I think Isaac would be a very viable option, and maybe we'd get a trailer for him at a later date to promote the DLC:)

But yeah, like everyone else here, I just want him in as a playable character no matter what haha!

Storm Eagle

Smash Lord
NNID
Storm88
Ten pictures of the day left until release! It will be over soon, one way or the other. (Isaac for smash pls!)

Last edited:

ShinyRegice

Smash Lord
Agreed. The fact of the matter is, people keep claiming that Isaac would just be an unlockable AT again, but there's nothing at all suggesting that to be the case. In fact, Xerneas was revealed VERY EARLY ON, despite the fact that Xerneas is unlockable. This alone is a huge boon for Isaac.

"Isaac should've been shown off by now!"

"He was an unlockable AT in Brawl, no reason to show him off."

"...but Xerneas has been known since the Smash Bros. Direct and is an unlockable Pokeball."

Now we have a counter to all the naysayers. :p
Don't forget that Xerneas is hilariously easy to unlock, you only have to try Target Blast once. Maybe it's to reflect how Xerneas is easy to catch in Pokémon games compared to most legendaries lol. Poké Ball and Assist Trophy summons with harder unlock conditions are probably going to be hidden before the game release.

With the leaked CSS there is no way Isaac will be on the starting roster, meaning that he will be an unlockable character for sure, assuming he's playable in the game. I saw debates on previous pages about Golden Sun's importance to Nintendo's history and I personally think that the series is far from as important as flagship series like Zelda, Metroid, etc. but still has enough merits to deserve a playable spot, meaning that it's good unlockable character material IMO, just like Mother in the original Smash or Fire Emblem in Melee (note that FE already existed before the first Smash, and that Marth never appeared in any game released during the 64-Melee period). We just have to hope that Isaac's popularity as an AT in Brawl was enough to convince Sakurai for a promotion, though the leak made me less optimistic with only one remaining empty stage slot on the stage selection screen.

JaidynReiman

Smash Hero
NNID
JaidynReiman
Don't forget that Xerneas is hilariously easy to unlock, you only have to try Target Blast once. Maybe it's to reflect how Xerneas is easy to catch in Pokémon games compared to most legendaries lol. Poké Ball and Assist Trophy summons with harder unlock conditions are probably going to be hidden before the game release.

With the leaked CSS there is no way Isaac will be on the starting roster, meaning that he will be an unlockable character for sure, assuming he's playable in the game. I saw debates on previous pages about Golden Sun's importance to Nintendo's history and I personally think that the series is far from as important as flagship series like Zelda, Metroid, etc. but still has enough merits to deserve a playable spot, meaning that it's good unlockable character material IMO, just like Mother in the original Smash or Fire Emblem in Melee (note that FE already existed before the first Smash, and that Marth never appeared in any game released during the 64-Melee period). We just have to hope that Isaac's popularity as an AT in Brawl was enough to convince Sakurai for a promotion, though the leak made me less optimistic with only one remaining empty stage slot on the stage selection screen.
Sorry, the leaked stage listing is probably missing about another row at least. DK and Metroid are probably getting a new stage at the very least, since we know F-Zero and Mother get brand new stages.

LasermasterA

Smash Champion
NNID
LasermasterA
3DS FC
1392-5385-9326
Sorry, the leaked stage listing is probably missing about another row at least. DK and Metroid are probably getting a new stage at the very least, since we know F-Zero and Mother get brand new stages.
Yea we definitely need a Golden Stage with some of the epic music! Lighthouse theme or Isaac's battle music! Or the Sol Sanctum music! Or Saturos's theme which is just plain badass.

And obviously, a GS stage means playable Isaac!

P.S. (unrelated to Isaac's reveal) You play RS? I saw it in some post of yours I guess.

Last edited:

Leafeon523

Smash Ace
NNID
Leafeon523
3DS FC
2466-1607-7000
it's good to see that this thread is being rather optimistic for the first time in a while. Anyway, here's my idea for a snake codec call about Isaac:

Snake: Why is this guy using swords and magic? Everyone else here just picked one!

Ocatan: Look out Snake! That's one of the warriors of Vale, Isaac. He's a Venus adept capable of performing amazing Psynergy attacks. He can cause earthquakes, summon creatures called Dijinn, and even conjure gigantic swords out of mid-air!

Snake: Geez, this guy has everything, doesn't he? I don't suppose he can cause some kind of apocalypse as well?

Ocatan: Well... actually, yes.

Snake: Lucky for him that he's one of the good guys, or else he would be my next target.

CrusherMania1592

Deaf Smasher
Premium
3DS FC
5472-7454-3545
Someone add me to the supporter's list please

I'm still hoping for Isaac to make the roster, but I think he will most likely be an unlockable character. Perhaps to connect to him being an unlockable AT in Brawl

ToonAdri

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Toonadri
i think isaac is in,but...this secretism with GS,really helps isaac chances?

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

I think it's a bit pointless getting too hopeless about this.

We won't know the whole truth (regardless of what some might think) until around September 12th-13th. So it's not a good idea to just become downbeat because of our assumptions and arguably baseless negativity.

I honestly don't understand why we can't be allowed to have hope until the 13th September. It's not like we're going to go into denial after that date. We'll suck it up and move on.

I'm not going into other character's threads telling their fans not to get their hopes up.....so I'd like to think they wouldn't do that to us.
Unfortunately, sometimes I feel like that this is the case with some of the fandoms since the Isaac fans aren't as vocal as they are. Seriously, I've read more "Instead of Isaac..." comments about his inclusion than "For Isaac" comments elsewhere in the Internets. Does this mean Isaac doesn't have a chance? No, because things can go either way.

I know most of us are better than this than to lash out or get irritated on other boards. I mean, yesterday, I was down in the dumps for most of the day, but I feel a whole lot better now thanks to viewing the "1985_2008 timeline" rumor the way I did.

Here's what I'm getting at, and apoligies if I sound overly optimistic to the people who are either skeptical or pessimistic...

Pikmin was the last thing that got into Brawl, and very, very few people saw Captain Olimar as a potential playable character. In fact, I don't think anybody knew about Olimar until Brawl came out in 2007 because nothing was mentioned about the series.

Golden Sun is likely going to be that case, largely because there's still the matter of locked characters and the absolute lack of reference to Isaac. Sakurai's not going to bounce Isaac from the game entirely; he's far too popular a character (even with declining interest). And I still think that Sakurai decided that the Assist Trophy concept from Brawl was something that would be used to promote future playable characters by seeing audience reactions. Most ATs have been revealed, and the list of unknown Brawl ATs is now very, very small. The counterargument is the whole "unlockable" deal since Xerneas is an unlockable Pokemon (in arguably the easiest way possible), so there will be comments about unlockable ATs. They have a valid argument, as well, although the ESRB leaker was pretty far along in the game before he got busted. What benefits us was that he didn't finish the job.

So, why no mention? I said this a while back... either Sakurai has decided Isaac is not playable material and merely wants players to find out for themselves, or Sakurai decided Isaac was a worthy contender from Day One and only decided not to mention him because nobody was talking about Isaac as vigorously as characters like Shulk, meaning those fans would have to wait and sweat it out. Because that's how Sakurai rolls... even with a leak derailing his ambitions, he still decided to go on his scheduled plan of announcing somewhat pointless tidbits. Though, we do have 10 business days to go, so the tension is really at a boiling point.

As for the recent discussion about general complaints about negativity, I don't want anyone feeling like they have to drink the Kool-Aid to post here. Skeptism and pessimism are part of a healthy discussion thread with a character whose status is still up in the air. But, be mindful that things will be interpreted differently, so take caution if you want to sound in one mindset, be it half-full, half-empty, indecisive, or wanting a cheeseburger.

If Isaac's an AT, I'd rather have Matthew as the DLC character.
I'd like to avoid multiple versions of the same character when possible.
You know, a certain brown-haired Earth adept would probably be a more suitable replacement for Isaac's AT than his son. I'm still disappointed an argument for Felix wasn't on the front page.

LasermasterA

Smash Champion
NNID
LasermasterA
3DS FC
1392-5385-9326
Unfortunately, sometimes I feel like that this is the case with some of the fandoms since the Isaac fans aren't as vocal as they are. Seriously, I've read more "Instead of Isaac..." comments about his inclusion than "For Isaac" comments elsewhere in the Internets. Does this mean Isaac doesn't have a chance? No, because things can go either way.

I know most of us are better than this than to lash out or get irritated on other boards. I mean, yesterday, I was down in the dumps for most of the day, but I feel a whole lot better now thanks to viewing the "1985_2008 timeline" rumor the way I did.

Here's what I'm getting at, and apoligies if I sound overly optimistic to the people who are either skeptical or pessimistic...

Pikmin was the last thing that got into Brawl, and very, very few people saw Captain Olimar as a potential playable character. In fact, I don't think anybody knew about Olimar until Brawl came out in 2007 because nothing was mentioned about the series.

Golden Sun is likely going to be that case, largely because there's still the matter of locked characters and the absolute lack of reference to Isaac. Sakurai's not going to bounce Isaac from the game entirely; he's far too popular a character (even with declining interest). And I still think that Sakurai decided that the Assist Trophy concept from Brawl was something that would be used to promote future playable characters by seeing audience reactions. Most ATs have been revealed, and the list of unknown Brawl ATs is now very, very small. The counterargument is the whole "unlockable" deal since Xerneas is an unlockable Pokemon (in arguably the easiest way possible), so there will be comments about unlockable ATs. They have a valid argument, as well, although the ESRB leaker was pretty far along in the game before he got busted. What benefits us was that he didn't finish the job.

So, why no mention? I said this a while back... either Sakurai has decided Isaac is not playable material and merely wants players to find out for themselves, or Sakurai decided Isaac was a worthy contender from Day One and only decided not to mention him because nobody was talking about Isaac as vigorously as characters like Shulk, meaning those fans would have to wait and sweat it out. Because that's how Sakurai rolls... even with a leak derailing his ambitions, he still decided to go on his scheduled plan of announcing somewhat pointless tidbits. Though, we do have 10 business days to go, so the tension is really at a boiling point.

As for the recent discussion about general complaints about negativity, I don't want anyone feeling like they have to drink the Kool-Aid to post here. Skeptism and pessimism are part of a healthy discussion thread with a character whose status is still up in the air. But, be mindful that things will be interpreted differently, so take caution if you want to sound in one mindset, be it half-full, half-empty, indecisive, or wanting a cheeseburger.

You know, a certain brown-haired Earth adept would probably be a more suitable replacement for Isaac's AT than his son. I'm still disappointed an argument for Felix wasn't on the front page.
Yes you are right. It would have been much easier if Isaac fans and GS fans on the Internet were more vocal than the other fans. Take Shulk for example. He might have been as popular as Isaac but his community was much more vocal while half of the GS fans were just resigned to an AT appearance. Many people even come from other threads to give it up or dial back our hope. Some guys tried to troll me (not sure) by saying that they saw Isaac in a demo match as an AT but if that was true, the rest of the community would have noticed it.

Sakurai must really checking over the ATs with a blindfold if he ever decided Isaac is not playable material. That would be one the largest oversights ever. Some people from other threads or who are not really supporting Isaac might say I am overestimating his chances but Isaac has tons of moves and was important to the GBA era.

I see it much more likely that Isaac is being held back mainly due to is declining popularity! They have held him back to reveal the extremely hyped up characters first. And if Isaac is a secret character, then we would have to duke out discouraging posts for longer. Isaac still stands a chance, and I still believe he is in, just when he will be revealed or be revealed at all is up in the air.

Well actually I would be happy if Felix got a greater appearance and became the AT instead. In terms of main characters, Isaac > Felix > Matthew. It is kind of sad that Felix is being overlooked, but according to me Isaac deserves the playable spot the most then Felix should be represented as an AT or clone (not likely). Since Matthew is basically an Isaac clone, he could be an alt costume instead.

Here's to cheering up and some Felix fanart for you:

Arteen

Smash Lord
Did anyone actually think that? I always thought he was the most obvious newcomer for Brawl by far.

Bassoonist

Smash Master
NNID
WoodwindsRock
3DS FC
1032-1351-5240
Did anyone actually think that? I always thought he was the most obvious newcomer for Brawl by far.
I do have to agree. I didn't think he was a complete and total shoe-in, but I most definitely thought he had a great chance of making it in.

It's been a long time, but I don't at all remember Olimar not ever being brought up before he was revealed. I'm pretty sure he was constantly mentioned as being very likely for quite some time before he was revealed.

shinhed-echi

Smash Hero
NNID
punchtropics
3DS FC
5301-0890-0238
I definitely think Sakurai wants to push the iconic/popular characters out of the way first and into the starting roster. Because characters like Isaac, and Duck Hunt Dog aren't THAT fresh in everyone's mind. Especially the younger audiences. The only characters NOT meant for younger audiences here are Megaman (but he's 3rd party) and ARGUABLY Little Mac (because Punch Out Wii is basically new and perhaps still somewhat a bit fresh in kids' minds).

Isaac is different, Dark Dawn came out with little marketing (just that E3 video), and Isaac himself hasn't been playable since... 2003, was it?
So he's hidden character material if you ask me.
I'm sure retros and clones will be put in the back seat to let the popular characters shine.
And I'm POSSITIVE that if one more Newcomer is revealed before release, it's going to be Dixie Kong, because again, still fresh.

-

So what I'm trying to say in my inceasing ramble is...
-Popular characters were revealed first. Isaac isn't AS popular/iconic anymore.
-Isaac has yet shown up as an Assist Trophy, when all of the "heavy hitter" ATs (Saki, Goroh, Lyn, Waluigi) were already shown.
-There's still DLC, which this time around, is legit. Fire Emblem had it, MK8 has it, and Amiibos will make it easier!

I still think Isaac's chances are considerably strong.
(BTW if Isaac is in, I hope it gets Camelot/Nintendo to get to make Golden Sun GBA true sequels, 3 and 4m while Dark Dawn will forever take place at the end of the timeline. (Hey, other franchises have released games in chronological disorder as well). Maybe somday they'll finish Dark Dawn, but I really hope they go back to Isaac and crew. Or at least another band of heroes/adepts, but taking place exactly where The Lost Age left off.

Last edited:

JaidynReiman

Smash Hero
NNID
JaidynReiman
I definitely think Sakurai wants to push the iconic/popular characters out of the way first and into the starting roster. Because characters like Isaac, and Duck Hunt Dog aren't THAT fresh in everyone's mind. Especially the younger audiences. The only characters NOT meant for younger audiences here are Megaman (but he's 3rd party) and ARGUABLY Little Mac (because Punch Out Wii is basically new and perhaps still somewhat a bit fresh in kids' minds).

Isaac is different, Dark Dawn came out with little marketing (just that E3 video), and Isaac himself hasn't been playable since... 2003, was it?
So he's hidden character material if you ask me.
I'm sure retros and clones will be put in the back seat to let the popular characters shine.
And I'm POSSITIVE that if one more Newcomer is revealed before release, it's going to be Dixie Kong, because again, still fresh.

-

So what I'm trying to say in my inceasing ramble is...
-Popular characters were revealed first. Isaac isn't AS popular/iconic anymore.
-Isaac has yet shown up as an Assist Trophy, when all of the "heavy hitter" ATs (Saki, Goroh, Lyn, Waluigi) were already shown.
-There's still DLC, which this time around, is legit. Fire Emblem had it, MK8 has it, and Amiibos will make it easier!

I still think Isaac's chances are considerably strong.
(BTW if Isaac is in, I hope it gets Camelot/Nintendo to get to make Golden Sun GBA true sequels, 3 and 4m while Dark Dawn will forever take place at the end of the timeline. (Hey, other franchises have released games in chronological disorder as well). Maybe somday they'll finish Dark Dawn, but I really hope they go back to Isaac and crew. Or at least another band of heroes/adepts, but taking place exactly where The Lost Age left off.
That's the other thing. As you state, all of the "heavy hitter" AT's, the ones most wanted and requested, have already been shown off. Except Isaac and Little Mac, the latter of whom is confirmed playable. Ray was fairly highly requested, but not nearly as much as the others mentioned, Little Mac, and Isaac.

Top Bottom