• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Is the CPU's AI any better in 3.5?

sWiTcHeRoO [疾~斬]

The Visionary
NNID
Yuchkins
3DS FC
0130-2970-6312
There isn't a scene for Smash where I live, so all I can do is play against CPUs for the fun of it. I'm wondering if they were one of the things the team worked on for this update, as they weren't a challenge in 3.2 and it would be great if they were remotely smart and tough to play against in this new update to keep me even more occupied with the game.

I apologize if this is in the wrong section.

Last edited:

Xermo

Smash Champion
NNID
SSBFC-Xerom
3DS FC
4425-1998-0670
If you think the ai in 3.02 was piss, then you should've seen pre-3.0 ai.
Anyway, kingclubber is the only pmdt working on the ai, and he's certainly constantly improving upon them, so it's safe to say they'll be better.

KingClubber

Smash Ace
In a dark underground base in the middle of L.A
There isn't a scene for Smash where I live, so all I can do is play against CPUs for the fun of it. I'm wondering if they were one of the things the team worked on for this update, as they weren't a challenge in 3.2 and it would be great if they were remotely smart and tough to play against in this new update to keep me even more occupied with the game.

I apologize if this is in the wrong section.
Most of the ai is just 3.2 ai, i did plan on a ai overhaul but things didn't go as planned and nothing was ready other than projects i worked on personally, while the ai in 3.2 isn't great its still better then anything you'd get from other smash games which isn't saying a lot.

So your getting two things this update a custom fox and falco ai both which are based off real players but they SD a lot because they will go out of their way to get to you because coding edge guarding and keeping them from killing themselves seems impossible.

so getting this and a falco that does falco things
http://www.gfycat.com/VigorousAfraidBlacklab

Leafeon

Verdant Pokémon
Most of the ai is just 3.2 ai, i did plan on a ai overhaul but things didn't go as planned and nothing was ready other than projects i worked on personally, while the ai in 3.2 isn't great its still better then anything you'd get from other smash games which isn't saying a lot.

So your getting two things this update a custom fox and falco ai both which are based off real players but they SD a lot because they will go out of their way to get to you because coding edge guarding and keeping them from killing themselves seems impossible.

That Fox AI looks amazing, I can't wait to play it.

sWiTcHeRoO [疾~斬]

The Visionary
NNID
Yuchkins
3DS FC
0130-2970-6312

That Fox seems pretty good to me. So most of the cast is still the same as 3.02? Which are the minority you changed for 3.5, besides Fox and Falco? It's a shame they're not updated since they kinda sandbag and do random things, but I'll take anything that makes them decently viable over nothing.

sWiTcHeRoO [疾~斬]

The Visionary
NNID
Yuchkins
3DS FC
0130-2970-6312
If you keep working and upgrading the AI even before they release an update after 3.5, please share it! Again, it's all I have to play against in Project M due to lacking anyone to play with, so I'm willing to settle for whatever you work on here. It's good to see this wasn't entirely ignored and were instead worked on using good players as a base of all things.

Last edited:

Anonistry

Smash Journeyman
This is actually really freaking genius. I mean, yeah, its still "pre-programmed" but if that is the limitation, might as well program the best, right? Wish I had a cookie to give.

dude1286

Smash Rookie
The Fox and Falco AI are amazing IMO. For once it is actually enjoyable to play them. There is a bug when playing AI on Distant Planet though, it happened with both Sonic and Ike but not Pit. They would just fall to their death if they were right underneath the edge of the top leaves. Pit's AI may break that suicide due to having more than two jumps, but I would need to look at it again to see if it happened with any of the other AI.

ChaosQualm

Smash Apprentice
Fox and Falco are okay I just played them. I still managed to 2 stock both though and I'm still relatively bad at PM. How did everyone else do vs them so far?

The problem is as it's been said, they are horrible at recovering. Very easy to gimp. I was Falco myself and managed to spike/edge hog them a lot. On stage they are very technical, fast and flashy (I wish I could move like that lol). But even then they don't exactly play safe. They'll do non-spaced aerials on shield that are easy to shield grab and fish hard for kills. Sometimes the Fox AI will keep doing up Smash even when you aren't at kill percent.

Last edited:

KingClubber

Smash Ace
The Fox and Falco AI are amazing IMO. For once it is actually enjoyable to play them. There is a bug when playing AI on Distant Planet though, it happened with both Sonic and Ike but not Pit. They would just fall to their death if they were right underneath the edge of the top leaves. Pit's AI may break that suicide due to having more than two jumps, but I would need to look at it again to see if it happened with any of the other AI.
Noted.

Fox and Falco are okay I just played them. I still managed to 2 stock both though and I'm still relatively bad at PM. How did everyone else do vs them so far?

The problem is as it's been said, they are horrible at recovering. Very easy to gimp. I was Falco myself and managed to spike them a lot. On stage they are very technical, fast and flashy (I wish I could move like that lol). But even then they don't exactly play safe. They'll do non-spaced aerials on shield that are easy to shield grab and fish hard for kills. Sometimes the Fox AI will keep doing up Smash even when you aren't at kill percent.
Expected, but fixable.

ChaosQualm

Smash Apprentice
For Falco it's kind of the opposite it seems. He won't take guaranteed kill setups when he has them. He'll often just dair into nothing. I just survived to 200 percent in the mirror match because of this lol. But the CPU is very technical, I cannot stress this enough. A lot of flasy shine combos.

Edit:

Oh and the Falco AI does seem to kill itself a lot. Especially when edge guarding.

Last edited:

ChaosQualm

Smash Apprentice
But good job overall. I'm impressed you guys managed to come this far with their AI. As far as their neutral game goes it definitely does look like you are facing a spacies main at times (albeit not the smartest one).

One nice thing about Fox constantly doing running up smashes is it's good practice on how to optimally punish such tactics as none of the other CPUs will really do this.

Odinx

Smash Rookie
Welp I just got 4-stocked by both of them. There isn't really a scene where I live either so thanks for giving me something to practice with. lol

KingClubber

Smash Ace
okay as promised here something i was working on but didn't make it into 3.5

Platdashing & Wavelanding

This only works on battlefield and with Falco if you try it on any other stage it doesn't work.

just drag the projectm folder onto the sd card and overwrite everything (might want to copy your falco files before hand)

Attachments

ChaosQualm

Smash Apprentice
okay as promised here something i was working on but didn't make it into 3.5

Platdashing & Wavelanding

This only works on battlefield and with Falco if you try it on any other stage it doesn't work.

just drag the projectm folder onto the sd card and overwrite everything (might want to copy your falco files before hand)
If I might make some suggestions for Fox for the next release:

-Drill into waveshines when confirmed to hit (into upsmashes/more waveshines on characters where it's possible), Fox will often do some nice SH dairs/shine pressure now but not much after
-up throw into uair for kills, haven't even seen this attempted once
-occasionally shine offstage for gimps

I have no idea how hard any of this is to implement though. But it would go a long way into making the Fox AI much more challenging.

Last edited:

Kraatu

Smash Rookie
I just passed here to express my gratitude of your hardwork on making these AI better. The fox and falco left me stunned by their technical play, even though I could find breaches in their AI. Damn those fox Up smash punishes. They are meaaaan.

It seems also that the CPUs are not wavedashing to death as they did before. Nice work.
Helps a lot someone that usually plays alone.

EDIT: I'm a member since 2007 and only posted two messages. One of them was this one. That's how grateful I am!

Last edited:

ChaosQualm

Smash Apprentice
A couple more things I've noticed now.

It turns out Fox does waveshine combo provided you play a character where it works. He had a pretty long one going on me when I was Falcon.

Also for some reason during a tech chase Fox always stays in place and you can get a jab reset. As Falco after a downthrow I would jab and it'd work every time.

Zoa

Smash Ace
Thanks again, KingClubber. I'm having a blast against Fox and Falco.

KingClubber

Smash Ace
I just passed here to express my gratitude of your hardwork on making these AI better. The fox and falco left me stunned by their technical play, even though I could find breaches in their AI. Damn those fox Up smash punishes. They are meaaaan.

It seems also that the CPUs are not wavedashing to death as they did before. Nice work.
Helps a lot someone that usually plays alone.

EDIT: I'm a member since 2007 and only posted two messages. One of them was this one. That's how grateful I am!
I am pleased

A couple more things I've noticed now.

It turns out Fox does waveshine combo provided you play a character where it works. He had a pretty long one going on me when I was Falcon.

Also for some reason during a tech chase Fox always stays in place and you can get a jab reset. As Falco after a downthrow I would jab and it'd work every time.
getting jab reset stuff to work is pretty hard, but i'll give it a shot

Thanks again, KingClubber. I'm having a blast against Fox and Falco.
your welcome

Last edited:

sWiTcHeRoO [疾~斬]

The Visionary
NNID
Yuchkins
3DS FC
0130-2970-6312
Fox absolutely destroyed me 3 times in a row, every other match has been super close with him. Falco is challenging as well, though he tends to kill himself with dairs near the edge.

Like others have said, characters sometimes just keep falling to their deaths in Distant Planet, and have a tendency to just try to stand on top of Randall in both Yoshi stages. On Story, when Randall is around they try to get on it and usually die, while on Island (Brawl), they try to land on either ghost they're closest to, even though he's not even land-able just yet, so they just fall to their deaths.

Pretty impressed and content with the AI overall, though. Definitely better than they used to be.

Last edited:

Lopson

Smash Cadet
Yo KingClubber, your new Fox is pretty great. Only thing I'm not too fond of is its persistence on firing lasers at the opposite direction of its target. Other than that, it's fantastic!

You said a few posts back in this topic that you're still having issues with getting the AI to stop SD itself. What information does the AI have access to? Is it not possible to get them to check coordinates, calculate trajectories, you know, generate stuff with which you can get some decision-making algorithms going? What tools are at your disposal to program these AIs? I'm really curious as to how you're creating these!

ChaosQualm

Smash Apprentice
Yeah it's all up you what you want to do. I'm just letting you know the notable exploits I found so far.

Anyway you guys seem to having much more trouble vs them compared to regular CPUs than me even though I really don't think I'm very good at PM (hard to say but I haven't faced any humans yet) and I tend to 2 stock them. So I wonder if the characters I'm using vs the Fox/Falco AI (mainly Falco and Marth) just cheese them out.

Should I try facing them vs someone else? Who do you guys recommend?

KingClubber

Smash Ace
Like others have said, characters sometimes just keep falling to their deaths in Distant Planet, and have a tendency to just try to stand on top of Randall in both Yoshi stages. On Story, when Randall is around they try to get on it and usually die, while on Island (Brawl), they try to land on either ghost they're closest to, even though he's not even land-able just yet, so they just fall to their deaths./quote]

I heard of this a few times now, but it never happens when i'm playing or testing

Only thing I'm not too fond of is its persistence on firing lasers at the opposite direction of its target.
?_?

You said a few posts back in this topic that you're still having issues with getting the AI to stop SD itself. What information does the AI have access to? Is it not possible to get them to check coordinates, calculate trajectories, you know, generate stuff with which you can get some decision-making algorithms going? What tools are at your disposal to program these AIs? I'm really curious as to how you're creating these!
I would usually post info your not going to care for but this time i'm not just know "I Got This."

QuickLava

Smash Journeyman
Bravo for that Fox/Falco AI, it's an immeasurable improvement on their respective 3.02 counterparts. There are of course things that could be improved (namely making Falco actually go for the spike in the right instances), but it's still a lot of fun to play against. If you manage to make every character even this good, we'll be in for one hell of a time playing against them all. Great Job, Lord Clubber.

KingClubber

Smash Ace
Bravo for that Fox/Falco AI, it's an immeasurable improvement on their respective 3.02 counterparts. There are of course things that could be improved (namely making Falco actually go for the spike in the right instances), but it's still a lot of fun to play against. If you manage to make every character even this good, we'll be in for one hell of a time playing against them all. Great Job, Lord Clubber.
thank you for the compliments @ QuickLava QuickLava

Tugnus

Smash Cadet
Clubber you always do an awesome job with the AI. I haven't messed around with AI since 2.5/2.6. The new Fox looks like we can practice dealing with shield pressure to a certain degree which is very important for those of us who can't make it out to tournies often.

Again, to everyone in the thread looking to improve off AI, stop judging the AI based on how much you win by (especially when you know you're doing gimmicky things to a CPU).

I do have one selfish request. Please in some future update make a 20XX Hax Fox build. I really don't care about the edges. I understand that it's extremely hard to fix recoveries and edge shenanigans. But if you could somehow make Fox have the most insane 20XX neutral game, I would bow to your feat. Is it possible to have Fox doubleshine-JC turn around grab when hit confirm on shield?

Top Bottom