• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Is the brawl style of gameplay really that bad?

GaretHax

Smash Journeyman
http://www.legalzoom.com/intellectual-property-rights/copyrights/what-are-derivative-works-under
Read this. All of this. Learn what a derivative work is. The example of remixing music works quite nicely to illustrate how this is a copyright infringement.
That article assumes the content is being modified for profit... PM is free because a massive group of people formed a team dedicated to creating something absolutely incredible for this community, they work insanely hard on nothing but their love for smash. Nobody is asking you to like it, but at least pretend to respect people willing to devote literally hundreds, if not thousands of hours, to this community.

Fenrir VII

Smash Master
http://www.legalzoom.com/intellectual-property-rights/copyrights/what-are-derivative-works-under
Read this. All of this. Learn what a derivative work is. The example of remixing music works quite nicely to illustrate how this is a copyright infringement.
um...no. Why would I waste my time reading about derivative work law when I JUST posted an example where fair use was ruled for game modding? Court rulings almost always overrule any written laws that you could find, and set a precedent for future rulings.. (I could list sources here, but that would probably swing a bit political for this board)

Again, list the differences if you want, but Game Genie and Project M do the same thing at their core... they change game code for user enjoyment. The most pertinent quote from that case is "a party who distributes a copyrighted work cannot dictate how that work is to be enjoyed.", which applies to Project M and all not-for-profit mods. A similar policy is also how fan-made games with copyrighted characters (such as "I Wanna Be The Guy") can exist.

and actually, I have another example. In 2005, Tecmo sued an entire modding community for making skins and other content for their games. 3 months later (after a lot of discussion on fair use policy), they dropped the suit and settled out of court. Would they have done this if they had a case here? EDIT* also, mods are still being made for these games after the suit.

As far as I'm concerned, this discussion is finished, so can we all ignore this guy and just go on with our regularly-scheduled discussion?

GaretHax

Smash Journeyman
It doesn't indicate that at all. JC... are you serious right now?
Better link that to OC Remix, skyrim nexus, and to every fan-fic writer ever then. I'm sure they will want to know of all their impending lawsuits, have a good one lol...

Kaye Cruiser

Waveshocker Sigma
NNID
KayeCruiser
Switch FC
0740-7501-7043
Lol. Right. Game Genie permanently altered the code of a game. It added stages to a game. I TOTALLY forgot it did all that. That is JUST like Game Genie. Thank you for clearing that up.

Like a ten year old, you didn't bother to read the link I posted. If you did, you would have educated yourself on what derivative works are. It doesn't take a genius to see the differences between Game Genie & Project M.
Did I say permanently? Because neither Game Genie nor P:M alter the game permanently, but they do use code alterations. Just temporary ones, which si the reason we can go back to playing the normal game at absolutely anytime, as I clearly stated.

Who didn't read whose words, hypocrite?

As far as I'm concerned, this discussion is finished, so can we all ignore this guy and just go on with our regularly-scheduled discussion?
Ah, sorry bout that Fenrir. You're right. Let's just ignore the delusional "person".

SmashCentralOfficial

Voice of SmashCentralOfficial
It's cute when people are condescending, and then wrong.
This is why I love when people assume things and call other people ignorant.
Ah, sorry bout that Fenrir. You're right. Let's just ignore the delusional "person".
That doesn't mean Nintendo doesn't care. They could still shut it down like they did with that Zelda fan film years ago.
Just give up dude. You lose. Nobody is going to go ever see any negative action for creating, downloading, or playing Project: M. I'm sorry that it's existence rustles your jimmies, now get over it.

PMS | LEVEL 100 MAGIKARP

Hologram Summer Again
Sm4sh: Most likely going to be unbalanced, closer to brawl than melee, and sakurai already said he hates competitive smash, also is probably going to take forever and I'm going to have to drop 400 dollars on a wii u first.
Brawl: Don't even get me started. Has horrible physics, the world's worst matchup spread, pratfalls, meta knight, tries its hardest to limit competitive play and limit the player's exploration of the depth of the game
Melee: despite having the best physics of any smash game, is still incredibly unbalanced, has few viable stages, and the metagame is full of annoying melee fanboys
64: lol
project m: combines characters of brawl with melee physics, depth, and tech skill, brawl graphics, and the best stages made throughout all three games. Is actually balanced, with all but one character being competitively viable (come on DDD). That's so far, the game is constantly being improved by a group of devs who understand the metagame and actually listen to the players, unlike sakurai. I have more vested interest in p:m than any smash game, and sm4sh won't change that unless it's the same as project m, except with villager and megaman. Which we already know it won't be.

Black Mantis

Smash Hero
Actually, I do know of some mod that was in the works a while back, but I don't know if it ever finished. I think part of the reason why they didn't bother to do a 3S mod so soon was because only nine (Ryu, Ken, Chun-Li, Akuma, Ibuki, Makoto, Dudley, Yun, Yang) out of the twenty characters (if you include Gill) were playable in SF4. Elena and Hugo weren't brought to 3D until SFxTK and Makoto, Yun, and Yang aren't playable there. Compare this to Project M where all but five characters from Melee are in it. Technically, you could probably toss in Young Link and Dr. Mario as some of their aspects were lent to Toon Link and Mario in the mod.
And in the end the mod fell apart because at the end of the day if you don't like street fighter for you can just go play 3rd strike. Same thing with Marvel 3. If you don't like it then just go play Marvel 2. But to respond to the original question if this post the brawl style of gameplay is not bad at all. As explained before the gameplay has evolved since 2008 and its not a " I hit you once and run away" issue. The funny thing to me is: Why aren't we discussing the issues wrong with Melee? Why aren't we focusing on the fact that characters like Fox and Falco are broken? Why are we not focusing on how melee 2012 Apex grand finals moved slower than molasses? Why are we not focusing on the fact that there are characters who have useless moves (Mewtwo. and yes I know who Taj is) and characters do moves that hurt themselves (Pichu)?

Also, Vkrm Salem like most top brawl players (ADHD, Ally, Dabuz) came from wifi. He wasn't just a random player and he has won some online tourneys before. Does that take away from his inconsistencies?

Kink-Link5

Smash Hero
Your point being what, Black Mantis? Something else that indicates that fighting game players are clearly a superior race to Smash players? Or something you can flaunt over as being an ethical injustice and further example of the Melee community's horrid nature?

Please.

I'm so sorry for enjoying a game.

(That's sardonism)

Vkrm

Smash Lord
And in the end the mod fell apart because at the end of the day if you don't like street fighter for you can just go play 3rd strike. Same thing with Marvel 3. If you don't like it then just go play Marvel 2.
You started with other fighting game communities don't mod their games......even though they do. You went on to say these mods failed to pick up steam because they aren't distinct enough from the games they're trying to emulate..... PM did not fail. Moving on.

But to respond to the original question if this post the brawl style of gameplay is not bad at all. As explained before the gameplay has evolved since 2008 and its not a " I hit you once and run away" issue.
Melee was an engaging game the moment I put it in. Also it's not as if brawls defensive metagame was shifted by a discovery that made passive play less broken. They were forced to implement a ledge grab rule. The difference between brawl then and now is a much longer list of things they have to ban to keep the tourney running.

The funny thing to me is: Why aren't we discussing the issues wrong with Melee? Why aren't we focusing on the fact that characters like Fox and Falco are broken?
They're less broken then MK.

Why are we not focusing on how melee 2012 Apex grand finals moved slower than molasses?
Because it was still faster than brawl.

Why are we not focusing on the fact that there are characters who have useless moves (Mewtwo. and yes I know who Taj is) and characters do moves that hurt themselves (Pichu)?
Do you complain about Dan being the worst street fighter character as well?

Also, Vkrm Salem like most top brawl players (ADHD, Ally, Dabuz) came from wifi. He wasn't just a random player and he has won some online tourneys before. Does that take away from his inconsistencies?
.....No.

Want to talk a bit more about apex 2012. I'm actually pretty sure I told you how I felt about in another thread. I actually really liked the set between hbox and armada. It was two really smart players fighting over position with armada setting traps and jiggs carefully weaving through and ****** when he found his opening. If you consider this type of play to be a problem, then I hope you can acknowledge that it's a problem that both smashes have. I like how it relates to brawl vs melee. It goes back into what I was saying earlier about melee having many different play styles.

Melee: despite having the best physics of any smash game, is still incredibly unbalanced, has few viable stages, and the metagame is full of annoying melee fanboys
Worst thing about the melee community is how we handled brawl. We're actually one of the more accepting communities around. That goes for people, not bad games.

Black Mantis

Smash Hero
Vkrm you just proved you know nothing (once again). Dan was purposefully made to be bad as a parody of SNK. Different playstyles exist in brawl, but if you're going to biased and ignore them then what's the point of bringing them up?

TreK

Is "that guy"
Melee was an engaging game the moment I put it in. Also it's not as if brawls defensive metagame was shifted by a discovery that made passive play less broken. They were forced to implement a ledge grab rule. The difference between brawl then and now is a much longer list of things they have to ban to keep the tourney running.
You do realize that it's Melee players who invented the concept of banning items and stages, right ?
Attacking brawlers on the ruleset they are forced to adopt because of the flaws of their game is highly hypocritical.

If you don't count 'a top player showed us that aggressive play could actually work in 2013' as a discovery, you don't really understand how Brawl works... It reminds me of another argument I've had a couple months ago, with somebody who claimed that Salem didn't bring anything new to Brawl. To which I answered these words : "It's not that we hadn't seen those ZSS tricks before, it's that we had never seen them work".

Besides. If you bring things such as 'Brawl is not fun' as a point, and you expect an answer that is not 'GTFO' or a more polite version of it, you are either a troll, or very naive.
Worst thing about the melee community is how we handled brawl.
QFT. And I don't think you understand just how true this is.
project m: [...] That's so far, the game is constantly being improved by a group of devs who understand the metagame and actually listen to the players, unlike sakurai.
They wouldn't be able to if they had to cater to multiple audiences like Sakurai has to. The jobs simply don't compare. They are listening to a very, very small amount of people, so small in fact that it doesn't even please the whole competitive Smash community.

Big-Cat

Challenge accepted.
NNID
KumaOso
3DS FC
1590-4853-0104
And in the end the mod fell apart because at the end of the day if you don't like street fighter for you can just go play 3rd strike. Same thing with Marvel 3. If you don't like it then just go play Marvel 2. But to respond to the original question if this post the brawl style of gameplay is not bad at all. As explained before the gameplay has evolved since 2008 and its not a " I hit you once and run away" issue. The funny thing to me is: Why aren't we discussing the issues wrong with Melee? Why aren't we focusing on the fact that characters like Fox and Falco are broken? Why are we not focusing on how melee 2012 Apex grand finals moved slower than molasses? Why are we not focusing on the fact that there are characters who have useless moves (Mewtwo. and yes I know who Taj is) and characters do moves that hurt themselves (Pichu)?

A likely additional reason why they didn't bother finishing them was because there would be too small of a scene to make it worth making. When you've got sponsors involved with the FGC, this makes doing full fledged gameplay mods an impossibility due to the legal implications of a sponsored player seriously playing the mod.

And yes, online players are slowly becoming a bigger thing, even in other FGs. A lot of people just call them online warriors, but sometimes it's matter of not having the time or resources to simply make it to a lot of tournaments so online play is the next best thing.

RODO

Smash Ace
Sm4sh: Most likely going to be unbalanced, closer to brawl than melee, and sakurai already said he hates competitive smash, also is probably going to take forever and I'm going to have to drop 400 dollars on a wii u first.
Brawl: Don't even get me started. Has horrible physics, the world's worst matchup spread, pratfalls, meta knight, tries its hardest to limit competitive play and limit the player's exploration of the depth of the game
64: lol
project m: combines characters of brawl with melee physics, depth, and tech skill, brawl graphics, and the best stages made throughout all three games. Is actually balanced, with all but one character being competitively viable (come on DDD). That's so far, the game is constantly being improved by a group of devs who understand the metagame and actually listen to the players, unlike sakurai. I have more vested interest in p:m than any smash game, and sm4sh won't change that unless it's the same as project m, except with villager and megaman. Which we already know it won't be.
Sakurai never said he hated competitive Smash, just that he isn't catering to the competitive crowd. He isn't catering to the casual crowd 100% either.

Black Mantis

Smash Hero
A likely additional reason why they didn't bother finishing them was because there would be too small of a scene to make it worth making. When you've got sponsors involved with the FGC, this makes doing full fledged gameplay mods an impossibility due to the legal implications of a sponsored player seriously playing the mod.

And yes, online players are slowly becoming a bigger thing, even in other FGs. A lot of people just call them online warriors, but sometimes it's matter of not having the time or resources to simply make it to a lot of tournaments so online play is the next best thing.

This is another reason to detest Project M. No serious sponsor is going put up a modded game at events like CEO, EVO, etc.

Vkrm

Smash Lord
You do realize that it's Melee players who invented the concept of banning items and stages, right ?
Attacking brawlers on the ruleset they are forced to adopt because of the flaws of their game is highly hypocritical.
I think it's fair to make a distinction between banning an items and instituting a ledge grab limit.

If you don't count 'a top player showed us that aggressive play could actually work in 2013' as a discovery, you don't really understand how Brawl works... It reminds me of another argument I've had a couple months ago, with somebody who claimed that Salem didn't bring anything new to Brawl. To which I answered these words : "It's not that we hadn't seen those ZSS tricks before, it's that we had never seen them work".
I wished it actually worked. Like I said earlier, apex 2013 was the first actual tournament he ever won. He hasn't won one since. Not to mention he still ops to play defensive when he has access to armor pieces. He has an aggressive playstyle only in comparison to the optimal defensive play that permeates brawl.

Besides. If you bring things such as 'Brawl is not fun' as a point, and you expect an answer that is not 'GTFO' or a more polite version of it, you are either a troll, or very naive.QFT. And I don't think you understand just how true this is.

I don't doubt that they're people who enjoy brawl, but think we can agree melee is generally more interesting.
Not only from a spectator's point of view.

They wouldn't be able to if they had to cater to multiple audiences like Sakurai has to. The jobs simply don't compare. They are listening to a very, very small amount of people, so small in fact that it doesn't even please the whole competitive Smash community.
Sakurai listens to nobody. When faced with all anti brawl sentiment that the smash 4 trailers rekindled, he had to make the claim that the people who were pleased with brawl were both less vocal and out numbered the fans who were disappointed. It's plausible, but I'm apprehensive of believing this. You could say the same thing about superman 64 and would work just as well. Not to mention the casuals I know prefer PM for having superior game feel.

This is another reason to detest Project M. No serious sponsor is going put up a modded game at events like CEO, EVO, etc.
Are you actually going to base your opinions off of how people outside the community receive the game? You aren't going to even look at how the game function on its own? Well, your preference for brawl is starting to make sense

Besides. If you bring things such as 'Brawl is not fun' as a point, and you expect an answer that is not 'GTFO' or a more polite version of it, you are either a troll, or very naive.QFT. And I don't think you understand just how true this is.

Yes, but do you realize that the Brawl community invented the rule on how many ledge grabs a character (Meta Knight) can do, in addition to how many times a character can go under the stage, yet you don't set a rule on Ice Climber's chain grabbing? I don't believe that banning certain stages for the purpose of avoiding hazards is any more ludicrous than this. Stage bans only exist for hazards that could decimate a player without him even doing anything. And sure, you can retort with "Well, that's why banning stages are stupid, you need different stages so Meta Knight can't camp" and I could easily say that it doesn't matter because he is able to escape from most hazards and still use his multiple glides and recoveries to plank and do whatever the hell he wants. At least when you play MK on neutral you don't have to worry about dealing with other crap in addition to him just evading mostly everything.

You can't blame the Melee community for stage bans, because regardless of what game you are playing losing to an interference in a stage is complete BS, and knowing that your attacking a community just for the sake of doing it. I'm sure the players in the Melee community are fully aware of Melee's flaws but still continue to play because the benefits outweigh the negatives.

I play both Melee and Brawl, but I can say without a doubt that Brawl's gameplay is not rewarding. Mind you, i'm not saying it's worse, but it's not rewarding. There is literally no benefit from being offensive (Unless you're Meta Knight) or flexible as the game's over powered defensive system stifles creativity to most players.

Big-Cat

Challenge accepted.
NNID
KumaOso
3DS FC
1590-4853-0104
Smash, as far as I know, has never had sponsors so the lack of sponsors is completely irrelevant to Smash.

TreK

Is "that guy"
I think it's fair to make a distinction between banning an items and instituting a ledge grab limit.
How so ? I fail to see a difference. They are both midly arbitrary, and extremely necessary.
I wished it actually worked. Like I said earlier, apex 2013 was the first actual tournament he ever won. He hasn't won one since. Not to mention he still ops to play defensive when he has access to armor pieces. He has an aggressive playstyle only in comparison to the optimal defensive play that permeates brawl.
http://clashtournaments.com/?p=801
The dude wanted to quit brawl after Apex. He still influenced everyone by showing just how solid you have to play, and just how solid you can play.
That was just an example to illustrate how Brawl usually evolves. Somebody brings the game to another level, people try to follow the example. The famous 'switch' in Brawl's metagame is usually credited to Mr.R and/or Nairo (+Glutonny ? Idk, it may just be a local thing), and happened exactly the same way (and is still happening, afaik).
I don't doubt that they're people who enjoy brawl, but think we can agree melee is generally more interesting.
Not only from a spectator's point of view.
Are you still trying to make an objective statement that involves fun and/or tastes ? If it's a contest to see what smashers want Smash4 to be, spoiler alert : smashers aren't a cohesive group with only one opinion. Spoiler alert 2 : none of these opinions matter to Nintendo.
You can't blame the Melee community for stage bans, because regardless of what game you are playing losing to an interference in a stage is complete BS, and knowing that your attacking a community just for the sake of doing it. I'm sure the players in the Melee community are fully aware of Melee's flaws but still continue to play because the benefits outweigh the negatives.
I'm not blaming them for it. Which is why I expect them, in return, to not blame us for the very same thing.
For the record, I do think we have taken the wrong measures in Brawl. But taking measures was necessary in the first place.
Smash, as far as I know, has never had sponsors so the lack of sponsors is completely irrelevant to Smash.
We don't need them, but we do want them. That's unfortunate, but it is actually a relevant point he's brought up.

Kink-Link5

Smash Hero
Do you really fail to see a difference between limiting the random and intrusive nature items have on the game and instilling a limit on what the players are physically allowed to do in the game? Or are you just playing Devil's Advocate. It's fine either way.

Fenrir VII

Smash Master
I'm just kind of shocked that it took this long to be able to say "see, offensive play in Brawl CAN work"...

Especially since most of the "offensive" play was just good zoning.

Vkrm

Smash Lord
How so ? I fail to see a difference. They are both midly arbitrary, and extremely necessary.
You said it yourself. They are all tacked on to maintain MK's legality. You definitely have a point. Shouldn't my assessment of brawl should be based on the ruleset they use? In the end I wouldn't want anybody to judge melee's competitive viability based on match on hyrule. Got me there.

The dude wanted to quit brawl after Apex. He still influenced everyone by showing just how solid you have to play, and just how solid you can play.
That was just an example to illustrate how Brawl usually evolves. Somebody brings the game to another level, people try to follow the example. The famous 'switch' in Brawl's metagame is usually credited to Mr.R and/or Nairo (+Glutonny ? Idk, it may just be a local thing), and happened exactly the same way (and is still happening, afaik).
You've listed a hand full of players that have achieved success and you want their performances to be indicative for entire metagame? I believe that these player win despite their aggressive play styles ", not because of them. I'd also like to know how any of this relates to my statement that melee has a greater amount of viable playstyles. You've convinced that brawl has more than one, but I don't think it has more than melee.

Are you still trying to make an objective statement that involves fun and/or tastes ? If it's a contest to see what smashers want Smash4 to be, spoiler alert : smashers aren't a cohesive group with only one opinion. Spoiler alert 2 : none of these opinions matter to Nintendo.
I'm not blaming them for it. Which is why I expect them, in return, to not blame us for the very same thing.
For the record, I do think we have taken the wrong measures in Brawl.
I was speaking in general terms of course. It's a bit easier to appreciate melee from a spectator's point of view because of the faster pace and how often momentum swings. I know that some prefer to watch brawl, but what I'm getting at is that they're the minority.

Fenrir VII

Smash Master
I'd also like to know how any of this relates to my statement that melee has a greater amount of viable playstyles. You've convinced that brawl has more than one, but I don't think it has more than melee.
I'd go as far as to say that Melee Sheik, Fox, and CF each have more viable playstyles than brawl has total. ridiculous statement, I know, but I think it might actually be true.

This is not necessarily a real bash on the game, but it always felt to me that there was a definite "right" way to play each character in Brawl.

TreK

Is "that guy"
Do you really fail to see a difference between limiting the random and intrusive nature items have on the game and instilling a limit on what the players are physically allowed to do in the game? Or are you just playing Devil's Advocate. It's fine either way.
I'd rather play with bobombs on high than loosing the match because somebody managed to have the first hit, then went to the ledge, and then had 8 minutes of uninterrupted invincibility frames. Maybe that's just me though.
(I still think banning MK would have been the better alternative, but peer pressure being a thing, it didn't happen)

It's good to point out that banning stages with walls was an implicit way to ban wall infinites, btw, so it's not like it's the first time we 'limited what players are allowed to do', either. It just wasn't possible to be implicit about stalling in Brawl due to the fact that there is only one stage without a ledge, the ability to scrooge, or a walkoff, and that stage is Icicle Mountain. So... Yeah... Being explicit about it was the 'better' alternative.

Fenrir VII

Smash Master
I'd rather play with bobombs on high than loosing the match because somebody managed to have the first hit, then went to the ledge, and then had 8 minutes of uninterrupted invincibility frames. Maybe that's just me though.
(I still think banning MK would have been the better alternative, but peer pressure being a thing, it didn't happen)

It's good to point out that banning stages with walls was an implicit way to ban wall infinites, btw, so it's not like it's the first time we 'limited what players are allowed to do', either. It just wasn't possible to be implicit about stalling in Brawl due to the fact that there is only one stage without a ledge, the ability to scrooge, or a walkoff, and that stage is Icicle Mountain. So... Yeah... Being explicit about it was the 'better' alternative.
No items. Metaknight only. Icicle Mountain? Man that's weird.

I've always been a supporter of banning tactics (inifinite/walkoff chain grabs, ledge stalling, etc) rather than banning stages or characters, but that's quite a bit harder to enforce...

Mr.Jackpot

Smash Lord
In any other fighting game community do you see mods? There are 3rd strike players who detest street fighter 4 with a passion (me being one of them). Do you see them modding street fighter 4 to make it more like 3rd strike?

Also, I find it funny that people are making assumptions about smash 4. This game has not even fully been completed yet. Sakurai has spoken and is working to make everyone happy. Project M can't give us Megaman. The scene (and general interest) for that game is going to take a major blow once smash 4 comes out.
The reason why you don't see higher quality mods in other parts of the FGC is simply because there isn't enough information and interest. Most of the SF community would love it if someone like Danatarion (fun fact, he's like the head SF4 modder too!) got the programmers and top players together and made a ST/3S spiritual successor using the SF4 engine and 40ish character cast.

And Project M can indeed give us Megaman. ATM It'll require taking out another character, which nobody wants, but once the clone engine is done it's easily within the realm of possibility, along with adding in Roy and Mewtwo which Smash 4 might not even give us.

Of course every Smash scene is gonna take a blow when Smash 4 comes out, just like the Melee scene dwindled the year after Brawl came out. But who's the 3rd largest event at Evo now?

Black Mantis

Smash Hero
The reason why you don't see higher quality mods in other parts of the FGC is simply because there isn't enough information and interest. Most of the SF community would love it if someone like Danatarion (fun fact, he's like the head SF4 modder too!) got the programmers and top players together and made a ST/3S spiritual successor using the SF4 engine and 40ish character cast.

And Project M can indeed give us Megaman. ATM It'll require taking out another character, which nobody wants, but once the clone engine is done it's easily within the realm of possibility, along with adding in Roy and Mewtwo which Smash 4 might not even give us.

Of course every Smash scene is gonna take a blow when Smash 4 comes out, just like the Melee scene dwindled the year after Brawl came out. But who's the 3rd largest event at Evo now?
The players would love it, but the companies would not. Try running modded games on Xbox and PS3 and see what happens.

No matter what it won't be the Megaman from smash 4.

Congrats on raising money for a game over a decade that barely won while Injustice just waltzed behind it with no problem.

FirestormNeos

Smash Lord
NNID
FirestormNeos
Are you actually going to base your opinions off of how people outside the community receive the game? You aren't going to even look at how the game function on its own? Well, your preference for brawl is starting to make sense
And that, my friends, is why Call of Duty is never going to change. Because everyone who wants it to change aren't going to buy a CoD game regardless.

There is such thing as a "majority opinion," but my money's on "the majority of players will be too busy being awestruck playing as Mega Man and laughing maniacally at the lack of Tripping to give a flying crap at the Melee Fanboys screaming in rage at the game's Single-Player." :troll:

Tell me, what other reasons are there to detest Project M? I want to know so I can add them to my list of "Excuses being made not to play P:M."

Mr.Jackpot

Smash Lord
The players would love it, but the companies would not. Try running modded games on Xbox and PS3 and see what happens.

No matter what it won't be the Megaman from smash 4.

AE PC. There's already mods for it (SF4 Koryu, character imports, stages, and some very questionable texture hacks) but none of them are very serious. Capcom doesn't care anyways.

Says who?

Congrats on raising money for a game over a decade that barely won while Injustice just waltzed behind it with no problem.

I don't even know what to ****ing say to this. Melee won by a good 10000+ IIRC, but I wouldn't have felt an ounce of shame if Skullgirls was a few dollars behind. It was a good fight and lot of money raised for good causes. Injustice can get in because it's new, made by the MK guys, and shows a strong scene (Skullgirls players are justifiably mad though) but that doesn't detract from any of the effort and unity shown from this community (64, Melee, Brawl, and PM alike) or the Skullgirls community.

Point I was trying to make is that the scene will shrink temporarily with every new release (which it should, it'll be a shame if people don't even try the next game out) but that doesn't say anything about the long-term interest and lifespan of a scene.

Ulevo

Smash Master
Just to address the title of this thread and the question it poses, I'll say one thing. When Smash Wii U comes out, there is a very small chance of it being so good that it is received and respected better than Melee, so it's it's very likely players who are loyal to Melee will still play Melee. When Smash Wii U comes out, if it's good, lots of people (casual and competitive) will move on to the next iteration. Especially if its better than Brawl, which is very highly likely. People will also still likely play 64, for the niche, hardcore crowd it has out there that still love the good ol' days.

Where does Brawl fit in to this picture of the future? Yeah. No ones going to remember it.

Better yet, maybe when SWU comes out people will finally move on from these Brawl vs Melee debates.

Morbi

Scavenger
Just to address the title of this thread and the question it poses, I'll say one thing. When Smash Wii U comes out, there is a very small chance of it being so good that it is received and respected better than Melee, so it's it's very likely players who are loyal to Melee will still play Melee. When Smash Wii U comes out, if it's good, lots of people (casual and competitive) will move on to the next iteration. Especially if its better than Brawl, which is very highly likely. People will also still likely play 64, for the niche, hardcore crowd it has out there that still love the good ol' days.

Where does Brawl fit in to this picture of the future? Yeah. No ones going to remember it.

Better yet, maybe when SWU comes out people will finally move on from these Brawl vs Melee debates.
Hypothetically speaking if Smash 4 is worse than Brawl... a lot of the hardcore crowd with just stick with Brawl. Just saying.

Top Bottom