• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Smash 3DS Is the 3DS version just a $40 Demo?

Booster

Smash Lord
Think about it, 3DS version lacks content and good Online, whereas the Wii U version has a nearly infinite amount of modes and more customizable Online

SevenYearItch

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
3969-6079-3846
Think about it, 3DS version has options you would expect from the handheld version of a game and I just played sets from a coffee shop against a player in Japan.

Read that back:
I PLAYED SUPER SMASH BROS AGAINST A PLAYER IN JAPAN FROM A COFFEE SHOP IN CANADA.

Well worth the $$

Booster

Smash Lord
Think about it, 3DS version has options you would expect from the handheld version of a game and I just played sets from a coffee shop against a player in Japan.

Read that back:
I PLAYED SUPER SMASH BROS AGAINST A PLAYER IN JAPAN FROM A COFFEE SHOP IN CANADA.

Well worth the $$
Sounds worth it, but there are other handheld games that outclass it like Link Between Worlds

JKarmageddon

Smash Rookie
3DS FC
4828-4911-5045
It's a fantastic portable version of the game. I've already invested more time into it than LBW.

Mario & Sonic Guy

Old rivalries live on!
NNID
TPitch5
3DS FC
5327-1637-5096
Smash 3DS is there for casual play, and you can actually play it anywhere, which is not the case with Smash Wii U. And of course, Smash 3DS has Smash Run.

Ampetrix

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Christopaz
3DS FC
4527-8084-1972
I guess then it's by preference. 3DS would obviously be better if the player goes out of the house often and Wii U would serve its function well when that person's homestuck.

Booster

Smash Lord
I guess then it's by preference. 3DS would obviously be better if the player goes out of the house often and Wii U would serve its function well when that person's homestuck.
I lose attention with handhelds very quickly, they are underwhelming and I have less attention for the handheld versions of console games.

SevenYearItch

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
3969-6079-3846
I lose attention with handhelds very quickly, they are underwhelming and I have less attention for the handheld versions of console games.
To your first quote, yes other handheld games out class it. But I have those too, and this is Smash Bros. Can't compare. Second, that sounds like a personal problem rather than a game sucking problem. You just don't enjoy handhelds, so why would you have even bothered knowing you get bored with them? You were down a peg to start

The Slayer

RAWR!
NNID
Ren
3DS FC
1778-9825-9960
Sounds worth it, but there are other handheld games that outclass it like Link Between Worlds
LBW is pretty much Link to the Past with 3D effects and concepts (not that it's bad, but obvious gimmick is obvious). You'll probably complete it in a month or so and never touch it again. Without a Wii U, any hacked handheld console, or car powered adapters for home consoles on the go, the convenience of Smash Bros on the 3DS is very high. And knowing that equipment and such being carried onto the Wii U version when you arrive at your friends' house or somewhere similar will put you in a advantage of having the right stuff for kicking tail every time.

Also for some people, it's instant access for Mewtwo when he comes out. So, it's way more than a little demo. It works well on the go and even better when you're fine-tuned for the Wii U version.

Last edited:

Fluggerson

Smash Apprentice
No. There are some people who cannot afford $300 on a console (me) and can't pay $60 for a game (me). I would have liked the Wii U version but my only option was the 3DS and I ended up with a 2DS and Smash. Also, it's nice to have portable Smash.

Ehn Jolly

Smash Journeyman
Let me ask, did you expect the 3ds game to be just the same content as the Wii U one?

Of course a console is going to be a better platform, there's no question. They did as much as they could with the handheld version, and I don't consider a demo at all. I consider it a great example of what the 3ds can pull off. For a handheld, they did a lot, especially with how good this game looks.

TimeSmash

Smash Champion
NNID
nintend64
It is a game packed with content that can be played on the go and you can even listen to the game's soundtrack if you lack an iPod or phone or they are dead. I would hardly say it's a demo, and if one defines it as such I'd prefer to have a hell of a lot more demos

-_skinny_-

Smash Apprentice
3DS FC
3668-9841-7290
I like looking at my own screen as i play against my friends in the next room and smash run is awesome

Mythra

Photon Edge
Switch FC
SW-3407-0751-9511
Of course not, the 3DS version is a standalone great game by its own, Smash Run has a lot of replay value because its randomness and it was made as a "Smash on the go" game so it feels small but at the same time is very complete.

Zero Suit Roxas

Smash Cadet
NNID
LeBabbo
3DS FC
0748-1742-4057
I feel like it's a bit unfair to compare the online of the 3DS version to the online of the Wii U version, since it's not even out yet. If you and your opponent(s) have decent internet, matches run pretty smoothly. And it doesn't have as much content because it was made for a handheld, not a home console. They couldn't go too deep with the game or else it would be too much for the 3DS to handle. They even disabled the internet browser and Miiverse so things could run at 60 fps.

SevenYearItch

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
3969-6079-3846
"Guys, does anyone else feel like my handheld advanced gameboy doesn't operate nearly as well as the 32GB home gaming system with a much larger computer in it? What a waste"

KurashiDragon

Smash Journeyman
NNID
KurashiDragon
3DS FC
3952-7603-8923
Switch FC
7836 7746 6189
I have quite a few games for my 3ds. From New Leaf to Pokemon Y to Lost World (I love that game. It's so underrated) and more. I've sunk plenty of time into those games but there's nothing quite like Smash Bros and it's pick up and play me forever attitude. Once the Wii U version comes out, I suspect I'll spend less time on the 3ds version (as I'm sure alot of people will) but I'll always enjoy it just for being a portable smash game. Some part of me wishes that the 3ds version was the only version.

Last edited:

KingTeo

Smash Apprentice
Why do people consider Kerfuffle 3DS a demo? The way I see it, it achieves it's role as an extension to the WiiU version pretty perfectly.

jonftl

Smash Apprentice
3DS FC
5370-0725-8432
It's a demo I played almost 100 hours on! I'll say that's one great demo!

Cammed Z28

SB-Jgd = My FG gamer tag
3DS FC
2852-9484-2780
Some people are just jaded

Video games and handhelds particularly have really come so far over the last couple decades. Is.3DS smash perfect? No. But if you really think about it the amount of content and the game play is outstanding for being a portable

I grew up on the first game boy so maybe I have different perspective on this topic compared to others not my age

Last edited:

Reila

the true enemy of humanity is anime
It is not a demo. It serves its purpose as "Smash on the go". It lacks content? Sure it does, but it surely serves its purpose.
They did as much as they could with the handheld version
Actually... No, they didn't. The 3DS version could have a lot more of content (more stages, music, etc).

Last edited:

Raijinken

Smash Master
The only handheld games that outclass it are the handheld Fire Emblem games. And I'm heavily biased in that regard.

Not that the U version won't be better. But the 3DS version can more than stand alone.

Minuy600

Smash Apprentice
Nope, not at all. It serves as a 'Smash On The Go' and does its job extremely well. Could've fitted it Stage Builder though.

Toon612Link

Smash Journeyman
The 3ds version is to please wii casuals who didn't move on to a cellphone but instead moved on to a 3ds.

Tomlanji

Smash Cadet
NNID
Tomlanji
3DS FC
4098-2281-7871
I don't get why everyone is saying the 3DS version is practically a demo.. Its a great game. Its got amazing graphics for a 3DS game, and the gameplay is soooo good. I play Smash 3DS all the time. I'm even playing it right now! Its portable too. If I am going somewhere in a car, bus,anything...I can just play the 3DS version. Of course its inferior to the Wii u version. The 3DS isn't close to as powerful as the Wii U, did anyone expect it to be as good as the Wii U version? Either way, the 3DS version is a really good game, and it doesn't matter if its inferior to the Wii U version (as it is obviously inferior). You can play online Wii U players too, so..

Twewy

Smash Lord
But LBW is a completely different genre from Smash 3DS. Why are you comparing those two?

I think it's well worth the $40, for what it has in it. It's Smash on the go, it serves its purpose. It may not have all the content the Wii U version has (no ****, it's a console game), but the things it does have turned out well. Plus that "use the 3DS as an MP3 player" thing is rad and more games need to do that.

K-45

Smash Journeyman
Hello?

The wiiU will have more content because it's the console version and they have a lot more room to work with. Fighting games are just games that only depend of how much time u put into it. If it's beat classic level 9 with all characters to playing online with firends or learning the competitive seen. For a 3ds game it already past all my expectations but still it dose lack single player options that the wiiU will fill.

XxBHunterxX

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Bryan
3DS FC
2766-9402-2187
I would definitely say it's a glorified demo in the same vein as metal gear solid ground zeroes, it was made so people would have the 3ds version then look at the wii u version in awe. The direct definitely proved this because most of the stuff mentioned in it were old modes that didn't make it into the 3ds version. Smart tactic, worked on me

Reila

the true enemy of humanity is anime
I would definitely say it's a glorified demo in the same vein as metal gear solid ground zeroes, it was made so people would have the 3ds version then look at the wii u version in awe. The direct definitely proved this because most of the stuff mentioned in it were old modes that didn't make it into the 3ds version. Smart tactic, worked on me
No, it was made because Nintendo needed to make profit with the game. 3DS games actually sell very well unlike Wii U games.

Dsull

Smash Ace
3DS FC
5301-0115-2290
i wouldnt ever consider the 3ds version a demo unless they released characters that are strictly for the wiiu. As it is right now the only character that isnt default in the roster is Mewtwo and hes available for both....eventually.

The game will play the same, except for controller prefs and graphics obviously. Only real difference is level editor (only thing im truely syked about between the two), 5+ local player (which i call "Party Mode" lol), and i would expect a more stable online since the WiiU does have a better wifi system than the 3DS due to the size difference. Minor, but hopefully enough to prevent random disconnects.

Given the excuse we got for the removal of Ice Climbers i COULD see them adding them into Wiiu eventually. But i doubt it because it would cause a ton of heat for making the 3DS a "lesser" version of the game.

XxBHunterxX

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Bryan
3DS FC
2766-9402-2187
No, it was made because Nintendo needed to make profit with the game. 3DS games actually sell very well unlike Wii U games.
So how else do you think they would get people to buy the wii u version? Of course they know the 3ds version would sell greatly that's the point of releasing it almost 2 months before the wii u. it's common sense actually, people don't have any doubts about how it'll play, they only know it will be a better experience in nearly every way

XxBHunterxX

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Bryan
3DS FC
2766-9402-2187
i wouldnt ever consider the 3ds version a demo unless they released characters that are strictly for the wiiu. As it is right now the only character that isnt default in the roster is Mewtwo and hes available for both....eventually.

The game will play the same, except for controller prefs and graphics obviously. Only real difference is level editor (only thing im truely syked about between the two), 5+ local player (which i call "Party Mode" lol), and i would expect a more stable online since the WiiU does have a better wifi system than the 3DS due to the size difference. Minor, but hopefully enough to prevent random disconnects.

Given the excuse we got for the removal of Ice Climbers i COULD see them adding them into Wiiu eventually. But i doubt it because it would cause a ton of heat for making the 3DS a "lesser" version of the game.
Wouldn't people know it was the lesser version by default? I don't see too many people being angry about a character they knew could never be on the handheld to begin with

Super Writer

Smash Apprentice
Nope, it's includes all the content needed to be it's own game and I can bring it with me anywhere. The Wii U version has extra space, so extra content, and for 60 dollars to get these and to play the game with friends on a couch, I think it's a fair deal.

I guess since I have use for both and the means of obtaining them without any problems, I guess I'm just spoiled by getting the best of both worlds, heh heh.

Zero Suit Roxas

Smash Cadet
NNID
LeBabbo
3DS FC
0748-1742-4057
The 3ds version is to please wii casuals who didn't move on to a cellphone but instead moved on to a 3ds.
How is it that only the 3DS version pleases "Wii casuals" yet the Wii U version doesn't? Do you mean based on graphics? It's a handheld, for God's sake. The level editor? That thing wasn't very remarkable in Brawl, anyways. The online? Get better internet and it'll run fine. The amount of content? The game cards do have a limit, which I believe is 8gb.

Unless you're talking about the physics, which is really stupid because the Wii U version will have the same overall speed.

SevenYearItch

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
3969-6079-3846
The 3DS pleases casuals? The version that allows you to play online from anywhere with a wifi connection without lugging a huge console? Not the Wii U version that has an 8 player party mode, huge maps with ridiculous hazards, a board game and versions of competitive maps with larger space so you can fit more people on it?

They both have aspects pleasing to both.

XxBHunterxX

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Bryan
3DS FC
2766-9402-2187
The 3DS pleases casuals? The version that allows you to play online from anywhere with a wifi connection without lugging a huge console? Not the Wii U version that has an 8 player party mode, huge maps with ridiculous hazards, a board game and versions of competitive maps with larger space so you can fit more people on it?

They both have aspects pleasing to both.
The 3ds version is geared towards a more causal crowd by design

Top Bottom