• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Smash 3DS Is the 3DS version just a $40 Demo?

Soul.

The 3ds version is geared towards a more causal crowd by design
If the 3DS version is casual the Wii U one is casual too. What, the console version having more features makes it suddenly hardcore? Lol, no.

Zero Suit Roxas

Smash Cadet
NNID
LeBabbo
3DS FC
0748-1742-4057
If the 3DS version is casual the Wii U one is casual too. What, the console version having more features makes it suddenly hardcore? Lol, no.
Exactly! While both may have different modes (like Smash Run being 3DS-exclusive) they both have the same physics, mechanics, and stuff in the end. The point of the game is fighting, not having a ton of different features.

XxBHunterxX

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Bryan
3DS FC
2766-9402-2187
Scintillating argument. You proved my points wrong very thoroughly....
I wasn't trying to prove anything wrong, I was just saying that if you wanted to make a game like smash on the 3ds you'd usually want the people to play the game in short bursts in consideration of you not being able to completely immerse completely in public due to a change in location or a social endeavor, that's why all of the modes can be completed in less than 10 min.Also portability itself is a casual interest this is why cell phones are starting to take over the mobile game market.

I dunno the wii u is in the same boat but being able to play with any controller you like and being able to play on a big screen t.v are huge benefits for everyone. I personally don't take my 3ds with me when I go out because I'm usually too busy to play it, so the wii u version is for me

XxBHunterxX

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Bryan
3DS FC
2766-9402-2187
Note I didn't say that, so where are you getting this information from?

Also the 3ds in general is for casual players because not many people like to put as much time in to a handheld as they would a console game because they like to play it I'm short bursts. This is how I like to play smash because the 3ds isn't designed well for hours of play, my hands tend to cramp due to its flat shape.

Last edited:

kyxsune

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
2423-2660-2706
If it is I'm okay with that, sadly I wish the 3DS hardware was rugged enough to keep up.

SevenYearItch

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
3969-6079-3846

Also the 3ds in general is for casual players because not many people like to put as much time in to a handheld as they would a console game because they like to play it I'm short bursts. This is how I like to play smash because the 3ds isn't designed well for hours of play, my hands tend to cramp due to its flat shape.
Competitive Pokemon says hi.

The Wii actually was built with more casual features than 3DS. All the wii got over it is controller options and tourny play online. Everything else is pretty much identical save for 3DS being able to get you 1v1 matches anywhere you can connect to wifi. Not our fault your preferences lead you to believe that its not competitive

SS-bros14

Smash Champion
3DS FC
4038-6159-5535
Defiantly not. Smash 3DS has great stages and Smash Run, which is (IMO) way better than Smash Tour. No way would I describe it as a '$40 demo.'

shogungari

Smash Apprentice
Let me ask, did you expect the 3ds game to be just the same content as the Wii U one?

Of course a console is going to be a better platform, there's no question. They did as much as they could with the handheld version, and I don't consider a demo at all. I consider it a great example of what the 3ds can pull off. For a handheld, they did a lot, especially with how good this game looks.
There's a difference between adding some extra music and a few more stages and not having custom battles, especially in a game people are doting as the "casual" version of the two. Unless there's some sort of huge Coin Battle metagame I was unaware of.

Last edited:

Sleeplost

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Sleeplost
You see, the issue is most users/fans of Smash never took into consideration the hardware limitations until like a month before the game came out. No one ever thought.. "Maybe the 3DS version is just meant to be normal Smash on the go and not a fully fledged Smash sequel" which I think should've been taken into consideration much before. I mean, as it is, the 3DS can barely ****ing handle everything the game has, especially when it take 3 years for the home menu to respond to me pressing the home button.

I never expected the 3DS to match the Wii U edition in terms of content. And last night I was proved correct.

Soul.

It's pretty obvious someone is going to say that Wii U is better because of the added features. Games aren't perfect. Smash Wii U isn't the miracle we have been waiting for; the game has, and will have its flaws just like every other game.

If we're talking about competitiveness I can see a scenario where Wii U will be falling down in a few years. I don't know what's going to happen to the 3DS version by then. All I know is that it's still going to sell 3DS units.

Yes, they took out modes for the 3DS, but in exchange they made it in 60 FPS and pushed the system to its limits.
What's wrong with putting a lot of hours on a 3DS? You could say the same thing for every other handheld. If someone's playing Pokémon on their 3DS they'll most likely put a lot of hours making their perfect Pokémon with fully trained stats.
If a person isn't interested on the Wii U and wants to put a lot of hours on the 3DS, I don't see anything wrong with that.

XxBHunterxX

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Bryan
3DS FC
2766-9402-2187
Competitive Pokemon says hi.

The Wii actually was built with more casual features than 3DS. All the wii got over it is controller options and tourny play online. Everything else is pretty much identical save for 3DS being able to get you 1v1 matches anywhere you can connect to wifi. Not our fault your preferences lead you to believe that its not competitive
I didn't say anything about it not being competitive, I didn't even mention competitive play, so you might wanna chill out about that, and yes we all know it's portable you don't need to keep advertising that.

I'm saying handhelds in general are designed for casual play, do you seriously play a game in a hardcore manner in public? I hope not that sounds really dangerous, it's kinda why nintendo puts all of those reminders in their games about playing for too long because they design the games to where you can literally put it down at any point and pick it back up later, this is true for all handhelds not just the 3ds, so by design the it's geared toward casual market and wether or not the games have a competitive community isn't important because Sakurai never intended for melee to be as competitive as it is, it was designed to be a casual game

Niala

Smash Ace
In my opinion yes, it is a 40 dollar demo. One that I'll likely seldom use upon the WiiU release. The only advantage it maintains over the WiiU version is portability, and even then, it's technically only the ease of portability.

I don't mind, I get paid well.

XxBHunterxX

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Bryan
3DS FC
2766-9402-2187
It's pretty obvious someone is going to say that Wii U is better because of the added features. Games aren't perfect. Smash Wii U isn't the miracle we have been waiting for; the game has, and will have its flaws just like every other game.

If we're talking about competitiveness I can see a scenario where Wii U will be falling down in a few years. I don't know what's going to happen to the 3DS version by then. All I know is that it's still going to sell 3DS units.

Yes, they took out modes for the 3DS, but in exchange they made it in 60 FPS and pushed the system to its limits.
What's wrong with putting a lot of hours on a 3DS? You could say the same thing for every other handheld. If someone's playing Pokémon on their 3DS they'll most likely put a lot of hours making their perfect Pokémon with fully trained stats.
If a person isn't interested on the Wii U and wants to put a lot of hours on the 3DS, I don't see anything wrong with that.
I was saying it is casual because it's a handheld meaning I am saying that about every handheld made. Also never said there was anything wrong with spending hours on the 3ds I was saying I don't do it, and the games don't require you to play for that long at a time either.

Don't know why you're talking about competitive play, cause I didn't bring it up

I guess I am a little bit upset with the lack of options in the game but I'll get over it

MissingNumbers

Smash Cadet
NNID
MissingN
3DS FC
1048-8190-3701
I was saying it is casual because it's a handheld meaning I am saying that about every handheld made
Has to be the goofiest statement I've read today. "Casual" and "handheld" are by no means synonymous, and games running on a console does not make them any more hardcore.

Putuk

Smash Lord
3DS FC
2723-9688-6533
Switch FC
SW-8387-2163-6416
I cannot afford home consoles, so I'm OVERJOYED there's finally a handheld version.

XDaDePsak

BRoomer
BRoomer
Has to be the goofiest statement I've read today. "Casual" and "handheld" are by no means synonymous, and games running on a console does not make them any more hardcore.
They may not be synonymous but they are deeply corelated, particularly when it comes to fast twitch type fighting games which require a high degree of precision and articulation.

Hardcore Street Fighter players bust out joysticks with 6 button layouts for a reason. Control schemes matter. And the 3DS analog "stick" is a joke when it comes to hardcore play.

Zero Suit Roxas

Smash Cadet
NNID
LeBabbo
3DS FC
0748-1742-4057
I didn't say anything about it not being competitive, I didn't even mention competitive play, so you might wanna chill out about that, and yes we all know it's portable you don't need to keep advertising that.

I'm saying handhelds in general are designed for casual play, do you seriously play a game in a hardcore manner in public? I hope not that sounds really dangerous, it's kinda why nintendo puts all of those reminders in their games about playing for too long because they design the games to where you can literally put it down at any point and pick it back up later, this is true for all handhelds not just the 3ds, so by design the it's geared toward casual market and wether or not the games have a competitive community isn't important because Sakurai never intended for melee to be as competitive as it is, it was designed to be a casual game
There's a difference between casual play and playing every now and again. I'd think casual games are games that aren't very difficult and simple to play, like 2048 or Pushmo, while hardcore games are games that are more intense, like CoD or Resident Evil. They don't put those reminders to take a break simply because they're casual. It's because it's recommended to take a 15 minute break for every hour of playing video games. I happen to play a ton of hardcore games in public and nobody seems to mind. And just because you think all handhelds are meant for casual play shouldn't mean SSB for 3DS is a casual game.

XxBHunterxX

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Bryan
3DS FC
2766-9402-2187
Do you know what the word casual means? Because Tetris is one of the most successful games ever made, it's easy to pick up and addictive every quality a casual game needs to be great, pokemon follows these rules perfectly.

Also l, it's rude to take a post out of context without reading the previous ones, if you had then you'd know that one post was in response to another conversation

XxBHunterxX

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Bryan
3DS FC
2766-9402-2187
There's a difference between casual play and playing every now and again. I'd think casual games are games that aren't very difficult and simple to play, like 2048 or Pushmo, while hardcore games are games that are more intense, like CoD or Resident Evil. They don't put those reminders to take a break simply because they're casual. It's because it's recommended to take a 15 minute break for every hour of playing video games. I happen to play a ton of hardcore games in public and nobody seems to mind. And just because you think all handhelds are meant for casual play shouldn't mean SSB for 3DS is a casual game.
I wasn't trying to say smash 3ds was primarily a casual game I was just talking about the 3ds being geared towards casual audience because most of the games for it don't really require hours of play to get the most enjoyment out of it

When brought up playing hardcore games in public as being dangerous meant when waiting for a bus, train or appointment it's generally not a good idea to play a game that requires your full attention

Zero Suit Roxas

Smash Cadet
NNID
LeBabbo
3DS FC
0748-1742-4057
I wasn't trying to say smash 3ds was primarily a casual game I was just talking about the 3ds being geared towards casual audience because most of the games for it don't really require hours of play to get the most enjoyment out of it

When brought up playing hardcore games in public as being dangerous meant when waiting for a bus, train or appointment it's generally not a good idea to play a game that requires your full attention
I understand what you mean. And it can be dangerous, but as long as you're not trying to do something more important it's fine. Sorry for misunderstanding!

Top Bottom