• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Is pessimism ruining the hype for smash 4?

Mr. KoopaTurtle

Smash Lord
NNID
gamedude101
3DS FC
0344-9381-8375
I haven't seen a single person on Smashboards or Reddit that has throw a fit because Smash4 isn't like Melee. I have seen numerous people throw fits when someone gives an inkling of criticism of Smash4, though.

:joyful::awesome::joyful:
Where in my post did I say I was only talking about Smashboards and Reddit?

You know what, forget it.

Accelerator

Smash Apprentice
Casuals?
I'm just as competitive as any other guy out there. Whether it be melee, brawl or PM, I love every smash game and in each game I enjoy playing competitively. I see a large amount depth with each game.

This is the pessimism I was talking about when I made this thread. why do you have to compare it to its previous iteration?
Why does it matter if its not as deep as melee? It shouldn't matter, the core mechanics of the game are the same, build up your opponents %'s and knock them off the stage.
It's not really pessimism, it's realism. It's not as if I don't like the game, I'm just realistic about how deep or interesting it will potentially be.

Where in my post did I say I was only talking about Smashboards and Reddit?

You know what, forget it.
They outpace any other locations on the internet that talk about Smash by miles. They're the only places that matter.

Mr. KoopaTurtle

Smash Lord
NNID
gamedude101
3DS FC
0344-9381-8375
It's not really pessimism, it's realism. It's not as if I don't like the game, I'm just realistic about how deep or interesting it will potentially be.

They outpace any other locations on the internet that talk about Smash by miles. They're the only places that matter.
Well I guess we must be looking at diferent parts of Smashboards and Reddit.

Unsurprisingly, this thread has gotten off topic. Let's just quit the mindless debates and.be happy.

Using a phone, sorry about errors.

Last edited:

Senario

Smash Ace
Why would it matter unless you are super easily affected by others opinions? Hype is up to you. I dont get hype for any game anymore due to how often games do not live up to hype. I buy what interests me and keep playing if it interests me. Plain and simple. Hype is just another marketing machine when it comes to new products.

Crimnonin

Smash Cadet
NNID
Gettinjiggy
3DS FC
0920-0728-2546
The only "hype" moment I had during the pre-Sm4sh days was when Captain Falcon was revealed. I don't think they could have introduced him in a better way.

Most of my time was spent worrying about how the game would turn out. I guess we still have a couple of months left before we get a good picture of where the metagame is going, but my first impressions are not all that great. I'm not saying it's bad, but not exciting either.

In other words...a good middle ground between Brawl and Melee.

Ganreizu

Smash Ace
After seeing some people's reactions to new discoveries of tech/mechanics, yes it is. It seems like anything new is just going to get hate just because it's new regardless of how useful/beneficial it is to gameplay.

Syrek

The Freshest Strategist
I'm just going to ignore the large amount of pessimists, haters, detractors, and those who think
Is pessimism ruining the game? Sure, if you want it to.

Is it something you should concern yourself with? Sure, if you feel like it's a vauable use of your time.

Does it bother me personally? Nah man.

Will I play and enjoy both versions of the game all the same? Oh yes I will me bucko.

It all boils down to your own perspectives, really. Opinions mean nothing unless you accept the implications of those self-same opinions and infer irrational condemnation from them. Examining them from the context of "does this really impinge upon my happiness and enjoyment of the things that I like?" reveals that, in actuality, such opinions mean about as much as rain falling on the ocean.

Additional commentary: I don't play competitively and don't follow the tournament rulesets so all of these silly arguments about vectoring and Melee versus Brawl is just so much background chatter to me. Great popcorn muncher, though.
I couldn't have said it better myself. :) And I'm totally in the same boat as you in terms of not playing Smash Bros. competitively/following tournament rulesets so I too find it rather entertaining when people complain about vectoring, large blast zones, the eternal debate between Melee and any other Smash Bros. game. I say let them squabble, whine, complain, and debate to they're hearts content. I'm going to enjoy Smash Bros. like I always have and Smash Bros for Wii U and 3DS is no different. ^_^

Sleeplost

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Sleeplost
What! Hell no brother!
I'm more hyped for the new Smash than ever!
2 weeks till launch and I couldn't be happier!

The way it works is a bit like this... The major minority of the Smash community are the pessimists, the people who CANNOT STOP COMPLAINING BECAUSE THE PURPLE SPACE DRAGON DIDN'T ****ING FIT, they are also vocally the loudest. I understand the disappointment with Lucas, Wolf, Icies and K. Rool and some other not making the cut, but this game is SO promising, people who let characters bum them out feel the need to make others feel bad (I did this when Play Station All-Stars came out without Crash. I'm sorry for those of your who liked it)

Now the possibility for the pessimists to be upset due to competitive depth is completely there. And I understand that POV but at the same time I've never really seen what's stopped people from enjoying a game because it's not super competitive. I never understood the hate for ANY Smash iteration. They're good regardless of depth because they were never really meant to be immensely competitive, and if you want to play competitive Smash you have Melee or Project M, no need to kill the excitement for people who just want to play the game.

Last edited:

Mooplet

Smash Journeyman
The weirdest part about this thread is that there are those that will like the game no matter how it plays.

Like, really? You're going to enjoy it no matter what?

What if it's bad?

Top Bottom