• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Is pessimism ruining the hype for smash 4?

Gabukin

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Gabukin
I recently made a post on Tumblr [which you can find here] about how most smash fans are being completely pessimistic about this game, which sadly is draining the hype outta me. So my question is as the title says, Are Negative opinions ruining your hype for smash 4?

ReddFloxy

Smash Apprentice
I don't really care as much what the internet in general has to say about a game, because if there's one thing that's a certain, is that the internet will bash on everything.
One character missing or one clone too much in a 48+ character roster is somehow enough to justify all the bashing for this game, it's quite sad lol

SmashBro99

Smash Champion
3DS FC
4957-2747-2945
Actually, I'm suprised it's not worse, just give it time :D

Hokori

Great King of Evil
I guess it depends on where you're looking, because from what I've been seeing, most Smash fans aren't being completely pessimistic about the game. I've actually noticed several people that are more accepting and appreciative of the game after seeing/playing the full game for themselves.

As for negative opinions ruining hype for Smash 4 (people complaining about the roster [unavoidable], etc)...IMO, that's only if you allow other people's opinions to have any sort of influence on yours. From what I've seen so far, I'm still as excited and ready to play as I've always been (even more so now), and no Debbie Downer will change that for me.

Sabrewulf238

Smash Hero
Not really.

I don't expect people to love every aspect of the game, that's unreasonable.

It might just be where you hang out. Most people I interact with about Smash are super super excited for Smash and generally any grievance they have makes some sense and aren't just crazy ravings.

Raijinken

Smash Master
Having played the demo for about 20 hours and having been sitting around watching streams constantly, I think the only things keeping my hype from rising further are the fact that there is no higher for my hype to go, and that the game isn't in my hands.

I've seen nothing worth being pessimistic over, personally.

Ryu Myuutsu

Smash Champion
NNID
BahamurShin
3DS FC
3668-9945-1996
I couldn't care what haters on the internet say about a game I like. Don't let others make you feel worse about playing Smash 4.

I also recommend to avoid bad places because pessimism can be contagious at times. This is why I decided to stop frequenting sites like GameFaqs because it has become full of hate topics.

BestTeaMaker

Smash Apprentice
NNID
BestTeaMaker
3DS FC
0345-0407-6977
The people who are pessimistic about the game are in the vast minority. They just happen to be the loudest group.

OptimistNic

Smash Journeyman
NNID
OptimistNic
3DS FC
4682-8455-3463
I don't really care as much what the internet in general has to say about a game, because if there's one thing that's a certain, is that the internet will bash on everything.
One character missing or one clone too much in a 48+ character roster is somehow enough to justify all the bashing for this game, it's quite sad lol
I have a friend on Facebook who constantly argues that the game has a LOT of wasted space "because Wii Fit Trainer, enough said". I have no idea why I haven't unfriended him yet XD

smashbroskilla

Smash Ace
3DS FC
5086-2745-2582
about how most smash fans are being completely pessimistic about this game, which sadly is draining the hype outta me. So my question is as the title says, Are Negative opinions ruining your hype for smash 4?
Where did you get the "most" stat from? I think there are two different types of people that post negative opinions about the game. There are people that post legitimate concerns such as major game mechanics changing and how the meta will change and then there are people who crap their pants because mewtwo isn't in the game and boycott it before they even have a full version NA copy of the game. I personally can't wait for both versions. 2 weeks until I can buy the 3ds version and then November 21st for the Wii U. I'm not going to leave my house or coffee bars until Christmas.

There's going to be negative opinions all over the internet as well as blind fanboys that would buy the game even if it only had 4 characters and a giant banana as load screens. I would just stay away from the internet for a while if it bothers you that much OP.

Gabukin

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Gabukin
Where did you get the "most" stat from? I think there are two different types of people that post negative opinions about the game. There are people that post legitimate concerns such as major game mechanics changing and how the meta will change and then there are people who crap their pants because mewtwo isn't in the game and boycott it before they even have a full version NA copy of the game. I personally can't wait for both versions. 2 weeks until I can buy the 3ds version and then November 21st for the Wii U. I'm not going to leave my house or coffee bars until Christmas.

There's going to be negative opinions all over the internet as well as blind fanboys that would buy the game even if it only had 4 characters and a giant banana as load screens. I would just stay away from the internet for a while if it bothers you that much OP.
well I guess I always notice when people say negative things about the game, but I never really notice when people say good things about the game.

I am one of those guys who is easily worried about peoples opinions, even if they are just a random person on the internet.

Last edited:

STiCKYBULL3TZ

Smash Ace
NNID
STiCKYBULL3TZ
3DS FC
2036-9005-7675
I've come to the realization that the internet hates the games I like. (Titanfall, Watch_Dogs and Destiny are the most recent) But I don't let it stop me from enjoying the game or ruining my hype. I've recently become active in the Melee community where I live but no one really talks about Smash 4 and the ones that do don't seem excited about it. I'm still hype for it as well as my group of friends I just got in the Smash scene. Can't wait! Demo tomorrow!

sssetz

Smash Rookie
3DS FC
4940-5964-6193
Dont really care what everyone says. I am EXTREMELY enjoying the demo and cant wait to play this with my close buddies that I play Smash with every week. I had pretty low expectations for the 3DS version but so far it has exceeded my expectations and I have already put in like 8 hours with just the DEMO. Like it if you like it, F everyone else! :)

SmashWolf

Smash Journeyman
NNID
EchoSon
3DS FC
3738-0429-7658
It's actually the opposite. It's optimism. People would never expect Sakurai to NOT include Mewtwo and Ridley, right? ...oh, he actually didn't. Well, surely Smash Run is online, it's such a big mode, after al--it's not. We sure are looking forward to another nice 25+ all new stages, aren't we? ...half of them are re-used or also in the Wii U version.

...sigh, at least it's a definitly a completely fresh game, right? Many voice and soundclips are re-used, it takes only Brawl's techs and removes even more of them, and 70% of the soundtrack is reused music or that damn main theme.

People had standards for Smash 4, acted like it was going to have so much cool new stuff in it. So much speculation, thrown into the pits for joke characters, no online, and lazy recycling of content. Is Smash 4 automaticly a bad game because it didn't live up to it's speculation? No, people just expected TOO much. They were optimistic.

Killimano23

Smash Cadet
You tend to find more people bashing simply because people who aren't happy with the product are more vocal. In reality though I get the feeling there is way more people who enjoy the game then those who are unhappy with it

majora_787

Smash Hero
It really is. I may just be unlucky, but everywhere I go is full of people being so pessimistic as to actively dissuade people from ever buying the game at all. And not just Smash, but everything. It would be fine if it were only a few people. Maybe only a couple dozen. But a few hundred, maybe a thousand or two? When the pessimism is literally enveloping everything with "Don't even bother buying this game it will probably be trash" literally every day up into Japanese release where it changes to "This game isn't worth getting because a ton of competitive people said the game sucks"?

Even if you don't value their opinions, which you really shouldn't for your own sanity, it's extremely exhausting to put up with and really tempers peoples' will to be actively excited for the games they're excited for. And there's not much that can be done other than to tell people to "can it and keep it to themselves" and watch as they leave you for about ten minutes to rup their metaphorical diseased genitals on someone ELSE'S face until they're sick of it.

STiCKYBULL3TZ

Smash Ace
NNID
STiCKYBULL3TZ
3DS FC
2036-9005-7675
Hype itself kinda ruins games nowadays. Hype builds people's expectations up sooo high. Then when the game falls short in one area or another everyone is immediately let down. Hype can make a great game just look like a good game when it's released.

DougX

Smash Champion
My Super Secret Underwater Volcano Lair in Space
NNID
Luigirasendori
3DS FC
0877-2652-6033
No matter what people, or even myself, say, I will always be excited for this game and I will enjoy it when I get my hands on it. It looks freaking great despite a few things that annoyed me, but they are relatively minor things.

Last edited:

johnthebonfire

Smash Rookie
I do believe some complaints are justified but the fact that we 3ds only owners get a smash bros game without having to buy a whole console makes up for most small problems it has. The demo is fun and i cant wait to finally play some newcommers i am really excited about and the new stages. 15 more days right? >.<

majora_787

Smash Hero
I have a hard time believing hype ruins games as much as peoples' inability to deal with disappointment. Maybe it's because I'm used to being disappointed in my life, but out of over 200 games I have ever played and been extremely excited to play, I was only ever disappointed by the game in question about five times. And none of them were Smash games.

The fact of the matter is Pessimism is refusing to just deal with disappointment like someone older than eight years old and is annoying and exhausting to most other people, while optimism is usually fine unless being expressed by people who just can't deal with disappointment for whatever reason.

YamiKitsune

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
1006-0928-7336
My answer to that is simple. Everyone has an opinion. The fact that someone thinks the game blows/ will blow. Shouldn't influence you at all. You're your own person. With your own thoughts and opinions. Be hyped! Until the game proves its worth to you.

Octillus

Smash Ace
NNID
Octillus
3DS FC
0963-0987-3528
Internet age cynicism is generally ruining happy outlooks.

There are plenty of things to be deconstructed and picked apart in our modern era. Socio-economic levels, gender roles, cultural tensions sure - representation of others in the media sure.

Missing some ice children, a gator in a crown and a cape, and a purple alien pterodactyl dictating what can facilitate your happiness? Eh. Still looks like a pretty good game to me.

Last edited:

Kenith

Overkill Sarcasm
The Fabulous Friendly Super Sparkle Train
NNID
RipoffmanXKTG
3DS FC
4210-4224-9442
The only person that might be killing the hype for me...is me.
For me it's less my not being hype for the game and actually getting sick of hearing about how great it is.
That's understandable.

But something about no Mewtwo or Ice Climbers is incredibly disquieting for me. Particularly the former.
Not that I even care about either that much, but still...

Still, this seems like a question to ask me when I have the game.

A Lucky Person

Smash Journeyman
NNID
aLuckyPerson
3DS FC
4914-3160-6884
I remember talking to someone here on the boards a while back who literally said that they weren't getting the game if Ridley and/or K. Rool aren't in it. The last thing I said to him was "so, I'll see you online when it comes out then?"

When it comes down to it those people [on the boards] who complain about it are still getting the game. I just will choose not to play with them if they're going to constantly bash it while also playing it constantly. ;P

Last edited:

Reila

the true enemy of humanity is anime
Not for me. I couldn't care less if a few tournament players are being pessimistic about the game or if a few characters aren't playable. The game plays amazingly (I can't stop playing the demo) and the roster as well as the soundtrack are pretty damn awesome. I simply can't wait for October 3rd.

Edit: Actually, it is pretty damn tiring reading people ****ting on the 3DS version every freaking day, but I am as hyped as ever to play the game. The 3DS version in special, not the Wii U one, which is but a bonus to me.

Last edited:

Enigma14

Smash Champion
HUR ITS NOT MELEE.

Ofc its not Melee, lol.

Personally I'm just amazed by the Ridley fanbase and DLC enthusiasts and how whiny they are. I don't see the other fanbases being this vocal. That aside, I don't mind the negativity. It points out how the game is flawed design wise and makes for good arguments for Sakurai apologists.

That aside, I'm not letting them or tourney players kill my hype because they make snap judgment about the game just cause it lacks a feature or two.

I'm waiting on the full game to play before making judgments but from what I've played -demo and the best buy event- I can't wait to try out Duck Hunt! He looks surprisingly like a mix of Banjo and Kazooie with Snake. I also wanna see how my mains were buffed and it would be cool to see more of them online in For Glory, often!

sodapopSquid

Smash Cadet
LOL VECTORING BRAWL 2.0

That's what's killing it for me. Parroting of vastly untested theory crafting and not even letting the meta develop yet people start crying and telling others to go back to melee and Project M

Last edited:

TTTTTsd

Gordeau Main Paint Drinker
NNID
InverseTangent
Reading the vectoring thread is disappointing. Why are people so hung up that they don't want to explore new options on a mechanic that, IMO, forces more aggression?

Seriously, the player can vector but they're still in a bad spot regardless of if they get out of the combo, what's stopping you from punishing their next action with a good read? It's more dynamic than DI and I argue that it could force more aggressive play if you want to succeed.

sodapopSquid

Smash Cadet
Reading the vectoring thread is disappointing. Why are people so hung up that they don't want to explore new options on a mechanic that, IMO, forces more aggression?

Seriously, the player can vector but they're still in a bad spot regardless of if they get out of the combo, what's stopping you from punishing their next action with a good read? It's more dynamic than DI and I argue that it could force more aggressive play if you want to succeed.
Nah man, brawl 2.0. It's going to die. just forget about it. Back to melee.

Enigma14

Smash Champion
LOL VECTORING BRAWL 2.0

That's what's killing it for me. Parroting of vastly untested theory crafting and not even letting the meta develop people people start crying and telling others to go back to melee and Project M
People hate change. Its only natural such an outcry occurs. Its also why I laugh myself into a coma when those same whiners wanted the Smash demo at any cost like dropping money despite it being free.

TTTTTsd

Gordeau Main Paint Drinker
NNID
InverseTangent
Nah man, brawl 2.0. It's going to die. just forget about it. Back to melee.
I know it's not a good reaction but it's knee jerk, and I think rather than dwelling on it, as Smash 4 players, we should try and redefine our game and prove that our mechanic does not destroy offensive capabilities. If anything I still think that from a design standpoint it influences them greatly.

if you want a really cool way to think of this new DI, think of throw techs in anime fighters, where even if you tech, you're still not out of the woods. Hell, Blazblue has combos and setups that are specific TO teching, to punish teching. If that kind of thing comes from this, then by all means I'll take it.

Last edited:

sodapopSquid

Smash Cadet
I know it's not a good reaction but it's knee jerk, and I think rather than dwelling on it, as Smash 4 players, we should try and redefine our game and prove that our mechanic does not destroy offensive capabilities. If anything I still think that from a design standpoint it influences them greatly.

if you want a really cool way to think of this new DI, think of throw techs in anime fighters, where even if you tech, you're still not out of the woods. Hell, Blazblue has combos and setups that are specific TO teching, to punish teching. If that kind of thing comes from this, then by all means I'll take it.
They're not going to adapt.

sodapopSquid

Smash Cadet
Well if they're not, we will. Brawl spawned a whole new community and quite honestly, if they're not going to adapt, let them play their game! I mean, as long as they aren't going to deliberately mess with Smash 4, it's fine.
You know they will.

no1butmenotu

Smash Cadet
I've been playing the demo, and watching streams. I like what I see, and the game seems a lot more balanced compared to previous installments. There are 49 characters if you count the miis, and there will most likely be dlc added to the game. As for the clones, there are custom move sets for characters if people don't like what they have. I understand that custom moves aren't allowed in glory mode, but the fact that these moves exists is awesome to me. Also, to me this is just half the game. The wii U version has stage builder and whatever else is hidden.

In a nutshell, I like what I have, and it is much more than enough than what I expected to have, after looking at the whole package (both versions).

Last edited:

smashbroskilla

Smash Ace
3DS FC
5086-2745-2582
well I guess I always notice when people say negative things about the game, but I never really notice when people say good things about the game.

I am one of those guys who is easily worried about peoples opinions, even if they are just a random person on the internet.
well with how easy it is for everyone to have access to it these days you have to take things with a grain of salt. for example: I had a friend on another forum ask me to take a short video of my mini cooper secret compartment. I took a 20 second clip and titled it "mini cooper secret compartment". I checked the video months later and had several thumbs down to a video that couldn't possibly be anymore straight forward about said topic. I asked myself why for about 2 minutes and then didn't care about it anymore. People are going to be people. Anything is possible on the internet.

Top Bottom