• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Legend of Zelda Is it time for Link and the rest of the characters in the LoZ series be voiced?

OBI1JABLOMI

Smash Cadet
I hear this complaint from people that the Zelda series needs significant voice acting(not just the grunts and screams). I was thinking about it, but I think it would probably ruin the series. I just can't imagine Link speaking. I like him as the stoic little ******* he is. But since some of the characters he encounters make weird noises when they have dialogue with Link, I could see how it might be better to have them be voiced. Then again, I guess it would be weird if everyone could talk but Link did not.

Last edited:

Mario & Sonic Guy

Old rivalries live on!
NNID
TPitch5
3DS FC
5327-1637-5096
The mainstream series is pretty much perfect without any voice acting involved. If it's not broke, don't fix it.

Shog

Smash Ace
I am in the position as a long time fan: "Voice anybody other than Link and make the game more non linear"

Seriously, Link with a Voice Actor giving him lines? That is so...Non-Link. Like could you imagine giving him your name/whatevs with Voice? I have to remind you of Tidus in FFX if somebody gets what I mean

relaxedexcorcist

Smash Ace
NNID
relaxed
3DS FC
4167-4486-3541
After playing Hyrule Warriors, i think the game really should pick up voice acting if they want to make more epic type scenes. It was really odd having this really nice pre-rendered cutscene and then having all the dialogue be grunts and sometimes one word in Japanese. I also still have trouble reading the textboxes and while playing at the same time.Link can still not talk though. They can just have a fairy talk for him or something.

At the very least, Hryule Warriors 2 should have voice acing, should they choose to make it.

SuperNova!

Smash Apprentice
After hearing Hyrule Warrior's narrator for the storybook-type scenes, I was totally convinced that voice acting would just be awkward for a Zelda game. I didn't like how she pronounced some things wierd and...... yeah, it just didn't work in my opinion.

TeamEvil

Smash Rookie
Well ExcuuUUUuuse me princess!

Nvr 4get Legend of Zelda CDI. Good example of the absolute worst thing that could happen if LoZ was voice acted.

Gatlin

cactus in the valley that's about to crumble down.
I think the game works very well as is. The occasional grunts or one-word remarks from the characters (apart from Link) in the game work nicely, and occasionally deliver a sense of humor to the game. Good example being Beedle.

"OHHHHHHHHHH!!!"
"THANK you!"
"BYEEEeee"

I think it would just be awkward for Link to have a voice of any kind at this point, honestly. He's gone over 2 decades without one.

AustarusIV

Chariffic
NNID
AustarusIV
3DS FC
1951-0995-8868
Switch FC
SW-2630-2447-9223
I remember reading in an interview that if voice acting was ever implemented in a Zelda game, that Eiji Aonuma would implement it in the same way that Shadows of the Colossus did (i.e. have all the voiced dialogue in a fictional language).

I actually wouldn't mind something like that at all.

FirestormNeos

Smash Lord
NNID
FirestormNeos
I remember reading in an interview that if voice acting was ever implemented in a Zelda game, that Eiji Aonuma would implement it in the same way that Shadows of the Colossus did (i.e. have all the voiced dialogue in a fictional language).

I actually wouldn't mind something like that at all.
So what Banjo & Kazooie did? That'd work.

Quillion

Smash Hero
Everyone BUT LINK should be voice acted. If you think that having a silent protagonist in a voiced world is weird in this day and age, clearly you haven't played anything made by Bethesda or Valve.

Unfortunately, Aonuma isn't really comfortable with that decision either:

...if you create a game where everybody else in the game speaks but Link doesn’t, it emphasizes the fact that he is silent and draws even more attention to it.

Of course, this was the first time we went with fully orchestrated songs in the game, and we’ve seen what that can do to help bring the world alive and make the game that much more fun. We’re continually looking at ways that we can evolve the series. We’re not confident that we can find the right balance with full voice, so we’ll see. - See more at: http://www.zeldainformer.com/news/e...ting_and_their_vision_for_zeldas#.VG9NZYvF-KU

ScarletDragon

Smash Rookie
Dont think there should any voice acting. its sorta the series focus is no voices, plus saves money on production.

Heroine of Winds

Smash Ace
I'm fine without voice acting in the Zelda series. After the CD-i games, I highly doubt Nintendo will have a Zelda game with voice acting ever again. Besides, I get annoyed whenever a game has terrible voice acting unless it's in a Narmy way (ex. Mega Man X4).

Mrwhatzitooya

Smash Journeyman
Voice acting... in a... ZELDA game...?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=umDr0mPuyQc

Seriously, part of the fun of a Zelda game is the dialogue is written like subtitles of a language of another world, like Elvish in LotR or Klingon in Star Trek. Plus it does add a humour to it, in particular the numerous jokes at Link's supposed muteness, and with other entertaining voice actors mixed in too!

Could you imagine a Goron saying in a deep voice "Hey there, brother!" instead of "Oooohhh!" or "Goro!"? I think the series is best without proper voice acting, and if it ain't broke, don't fix it, right?

Agro_98

Smash Cadet
NNID
leafsfan98
Link should definitely stay silent, but I do think that other characters could be voiced, not in English but in a fictional language, which I guess would be Hylian, and still keep the subtitles. I would be perfectly fine without voice acting, as it has worked so many times before, but having a fictional language and subtitles would be a cool change.

Hayzie

Smash Lord
NNID
Hayzie
3DS FC
5000-3322-4068
True LoZ fans don't want voice acting.

D

Deleted member

I'm neutral whichever the decision. If they decide for no voices, well it has been like that since my childhood so it'll make no difference. If they decide for voice actors, they better be good voice actors or have them speak in Hylian tongue. Link MUST remain silent.

finalark

SNORLAX
God yes. Hyrule Warriors showed me exactly how ridiculous silent HD visuals are. At this point there's not reason not to. This doesn't necessarily mean that Link has to be voiced, as the Half-Life series has shown, but at least voiced NPCs and cut scenes would be nice.

I kind of wish they had used Hyrule Warriors as a test drive for voiced LoZ instead of keeping everyone mute. At least we could have gotten a taste of what that could be like. Not to mention that Nintendo could easily hire big name voice actors for the series.

MOI-ARI

Smash Ace
NNID
TAISH0U
3DS FC
3523-2502-7558
No, never.

Keep it the same as its always been.

The minimalist voicework adds something that fully-directed voices dont imo.

Other than the fact that its just out of place in any LOZ. Im deeply troubled when i hear people want husbando Link to talk. Im woriied nintendo is listening or something....o.o

@Sergeachu Yes.

Last edited:
Top Bottom