• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Iowa-Joker's Monthly"WHY SO SERIOUS?"#28 Nov 22th

Jakebudden

Smash Ace
I hate him almost as much as I hate you. He treats me like dirt. What a punk.
Hahaha

Jake <3 's bolt

no homo

DISCLAIMER <I am venting and probably won't mean any of this tomorrow>

I am getting really annoyed with people just complaining all the time any more about stages. I'm not going to mention names because they are the type of people that I'm sure daily put their tag into a search to see where people are talking about them, but seriously there are going to be like 4 legal stages if the progression keeps moving at the rate it is at. It really makes me not want to play competitively at all. I have gotten over my phase where I thought all counter/bans should be legal but that doesn't mean only flat basic stages should be the ones played on. There is no reason stages like stadium 2 should be banned when people don't really even debate japes or cruise. It really seems to me the only people that really complain about stages are people who play high tiers anyways. (this is referring to the time when most of the semi ridiculous stages like onett, pipes, and port town are gone)

UGH, makes me angry!

MysteriousSilver

Smash Ace
I agree with Razor wholeheartedly.

I never want our stage listto look like Japan's.

A stage should only really be banned if it massively unbalances the game (Walk offs), has stuff like instant kill hazards (IC stage), totally alters the game (Mario Bros.), or has something else that's just plain stupid (75m). I keep seeing people wanting to ban stages just because they're potent counterpicks. Half the fun of brawl is freedom of movement in the unique stages, and the way the stages force you to play around them. It's one of the reasons I like smash more than, say, MvC2 (which I still love, btw).

RANT RANT RANT

gantrain05

Smash Master
yeah, im all for the stage variety, why not hannenbow!!! best stage evar!!!! also wtf with banning ps2 and not cruise, if cruise is legal just about anything should be.

gantrain05

Smash Master
too lazy to hit the edit button, but joker! is your tourney for sure on the 9th? i gotta know if i want the day off of work, they are nazis around here about that kind of stuff.

Bonehimer

Smash Journeyman
What exactly led to the smash community becoming so conservative during the past months/year?

Radium88

Smash Lord
If you make the monthly on Jan 16th, I might make that and maybe I'll bring some StL ppl along. But if it's the 9th, I'll still try.

Also, I don't really get stages so I let other people handle it. But if it's causing people to not come, then I'll step in. So you are asking for PS2 to be a CP? right? I don't understand why stages that people who lose can potentially win on gets banned? That's the point of CPs right? Well in any case, if you guys will be more inclined to come if PS2 is an option, I will use my powers of TO to get that on there. I'd rather have people come and add one stage that may or may not be chosen. If they don't want that CP then they can use their banning rule, right?

§chizm

Smash Lord
I always see Rainbow Cruise as a counter-pick, and then I see stages like PS2 are banned and I'm like wut? That stage has buttfucked me multiple times more than any other stage. I like how the whole point of a CP is to benefit your character yet people ***** about them because a certain character sucks on them or they consider them gay. That's what secondaries are for.

Also I don't care if the tourney is on the 9th or the 16, but on the 16th I'm planning on getting wasted in some fashion after 12 cause I'll be 21.

Tomorrow is going to be awful.

Radium88

Smash Lord
I always see Rainbow Cruise as a counter-pick, and then I see stages like PS2 are banned and I'm like wut? That stage has buttfucked me multiple times more than any other stage. I like how the whole point of a CP is to benefit your character yet people ***** about them because a certain character sucks on them or they consider them gay. That's what secondaries are for.

Also I don't care if the tourney is on the 9th or the 16, but on the 16th I'm planning on getting wasted in some fashion after 12 cause I'll be 21.

Tomorrow is going to be awful.
Sooooo more reason to have it on the 16th? Smashers can celebrate with yous and get smashed along after the smash tournament and it will be a smashing good time..... :p

Fino

Smash Master
A stage should only really be banned if it massively unbalances the game (Walk offs), totally alters the game (Mario Bros.), or has something else that's just plain stupid (75m).
There is no reason stages like stadium 2 should be banned when people don't really even debate japes or cruise.
I agreed with you post until I hit this part...
For reference, Japes is widely banned nowadays (see: falco)... and there isn't much reason to ban RC. The stage moves... that's about it.
PS2, I believe, fits all the criteria I clipped from the quote above.
Massively unbalances /alters the game - any character who relies on stage control, is hurt by being in the air, or has a bad recovery get massively nerfed by PS2 due to (1) an air transformation that makes your falling speed 3 times slower (2) an ice transformation that forces you to jump or just slide around aimlessly trying to hit with random smashes (due to weird ice properties) or (3) the stage actually pushes you off itself (vastly stronger than dreamland in melee or the wind on pictochat). Add on top of that Pokemon stadiums finicky ledge.
All of this stuff is also 'just plain stupid'
But fino, what makes PS2 any different frmo RC or PS1. PS1 and RC are just adding / removing platforms. The only sketchy thing on RC is the pendulum area. PS1's transformations just add platforms in different areas... they do not drastically alter how you have to play like adding ice to the ground or making it near impossible for you to land if you're put up in the air.
yeah, im all for the stage variety, why not hannenbow!!! best stage evar!!!! also wtf with banning ps2 and not cruise, if cruise is legal just about anything should be.
What is wrong with cruise? Seriously...
Hannenbow is like the ******* child of temple and skyworld.... why would you want that legal? lol. I can just imagine wario with a 3% lead on you with 2 minutes left... and he's just flying all over the place while your peach can't do anything... and you finally get close to him, and he dair's you out of your second jump... but there's hope... you have your upB, you use it and the hitbox of your upB moves the only platform that you can land on out of your reach.... you lost the set. Gay

Oh, I'm going to the St Louis tournament btw :F So I'll be trollin this thread again!
:bee:

~Fino

Jakebudden

Smash Ace
Dear Fino,

Here is my single rebuttal, after this I won't argue further because I don't want to be one of those people I was trashing last night.

As for PS2. First of all the ledges aren't the same as PS1, you don't get stuck under them. The only thing you can get stuck under is the stage itself, but that is similar to getting stuck under smashville. I personally think that PS2 makes you jump around certainly no more (in my opinion way less) than other levels such as cruise. No one has qualms with the ground transformation so we just forgo that one.

The ice: all this takes is a little practice on the stage to learn to understand the physics of it. Basically if the move you do moves your character forward or u have momentum while doing a move you will slide. If you have this basic knowledge then you will realize that this transformation really doesn't give any one or two characters an advantage. Just keep your eyes open for sliding smash attacks. There are two platforms that one can hang out on if they feel they are at a disadvantage on the ice.

The belts: there are three platforms on this transformation but really only the one on the left would be safe if someone is in the middle. Strategy on this transformation is to be in the middle, if you can't get there or don't want to be it isn't very hard to plank for the what 30 seconds that the transformation lasts for? What is your opponent going to do in this case? He will slide if he tries to wait for you.

The air: I think that this is the transformation that causes people the most grief but keep in mind everyone moves at the slow speed on this part. It isn't very hard to air camp as a wario would do on any level if you don't feel comfortable fighting in it.

My basic argument is that PS2 only takes a little bit of knowledge and experience before you understand the level and realize that in no way is the level broken. Whereas stages like even cruise give some characters absolute advantage. There is no way any one could argue that metaknight doesn't **** almost everyone on that stage (except maybe game and watch.)

I think the only reason a stage should be banned is if it really makes match-ups unfair (walk-offs, permanent walls to jab lock into, or lets people ABUSE planking <Iowa knows who I am talking about here,*hate*> etc.) and PS2 doesn't fit in that criteria.

That is all. I'm not trying to convince any one here, I'm just explaining myself.

MysteriousSilver

Smash Ace
I don't use smashes on the ice transformation.

I just like to hit people with Angel Ring and carry them across the stage. It's a tactic I like to refer to as "lololololololololololololololololololololololol"

sluys

Smash Journeyman
i should be free to play. hit me up if people can get to ames or are hosting elsewhere.

also, i also think ps2 is worse than rc but still playable, and that's because i aircamp during alot of the transformations.

Yink

The Robo-PSIentist
NNID
SSBYink
i should be free to play. hit me up if people can get to ames or are hosting elsewhere.

also, i also think ps2 is worse than rc but still playable, and that's because i aircamp during alot of the transformations.
PEW PEW

Anyways, if it's at Christian's Andy give me a call or a text...I have to go to the Design College to do some work.

Nicole

Smash Champion
Razor, if you want PS2 legal, you should shove that wall of text into the STL tournament thread. I don't see any reason why PS2 should be banned, as no one but you and Joker are going to pick it anyway :p But yeah, there are alot of haters.

§chizm

Smash Lord
Today was success. Getting off on laughing gas and then getting like 20 Vicodin even though I feel barely any pain. Toooo good.

If there are games tomorrow or Saturday I'll be up for it. I live too far away from anyone to get a ride anywhere tonight. :rolleyes:

Uli

Smash Champion
oh stupid stage debates

i think people should not ban neutrals against me :D

pound 4 stage list would be ideal but we know that wont ever happen
brawl is to flexible with stages i guess -_-
need an official OFFICIAL stage list to stop these debates

**** chris ima have some of them drugs too i think (also getting teeth pulled) i dont plan on using them though

Tyserification

Smash Lord
Pound 4 Rule Set is where you take out all the stupid stages and only play on Neutrals. Melee used to have like 12 stages that were Legal, there's only like 6 now :D

~GregDang!~

Smash Master
Pound 4 Stage List:

Neutral Stages:
-Battlefield
-Final Destination
-Smashville
-Yoshis Island
-Lylat Cruise

Counterpick Stages:
-Delfino Plaza
-Frigate Orpheon
-Battleship Halberd
-Rainbow Cruise
-Brinstar
-Pokemon Stadium

Joker490Frozen

Smash Champion
Pound 4 Rule Set is where you take out all the stupid stages and only play on Neutrals. Melee used to have like 12 stages that were Legal, there's only like 6 now :D
So your only CPs are Neutrals now :urg:

Pound 4 Stage List:

Neutral Stages:
-Battlefield
-Final Destination
-Smashville
-Yoshis Island
-Lylat Cruise

Counterpick Stages:
-Delfino Plaza
-Frigate Orpheon
-Battleship Halberd
-Rainbow Cruise
-Brinstar
-Pokemon Stadium
So pretty much all the flat stages except for Brinstar and Cruise.

Tyserification

Smash Lord
They did that so that players can use skill to win instead of using a level to win :D

Yes, it does favor Marth in Melee :'( Also anyone whose high/top tier.

Top Bottom