• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Into The New World :: Generation V Competitive Metagame Discussion

Circa

Smash Champion
NNID
timssu
3DS FC
1891-2120-4792
Doryuuzu(Mole) is very annoying, anyone have any good counters for him?
CB Azumarill isn't OHKO'd by an LO EQ, and OHKOs with Aqua Jet like 99% of the time (it deals a minimum of 99.7%).

Actual counters to it are hard to come by. You'll probably be forced to revenge.

Wave⁂

Smash Legend
Skarmory walls the crap out of him, you can then Whirlwind or stall and wait for Life Orb to kill him.

Moozle

Smash Champion
I use this set, and I love it. Especially for taking out that dumb mole.

Roopushin@Choice Band
Adamant / Iron Fist
252 HP / 252 Attack / 6 Def
-Drain Punch (Sooooooo gooood)
-Mach Punch
-Payback (This has helped me more than EQ)
-Stone Edge

Ghosts become a bit of a problem since there are so many in this gen, but my team counters all of the common ones that I've seen, so this set works amazingly well.

PowerBomb

Smash Master
I've countered the mole with Shandera, oddly. The one I have is physically bulky and gets rid of it if entry hazards aren't up. Not really practical though. Natteorri can wear him down with Power Whip.

TLMSheikant

Smash Master
What do you guys think will happen to shanderaa? IMO having shadow tag alone makes him uberworthy. Unless they ban his ability (which I doubt) I see him as uber not long into 5th gen. With a scarf he basically guarantees a revenge kill before getting revenged himself by ttar's pursuit...

mood4food77

Smash Hero
he's not that bad even with shadow tag, it's basically the same as dugtrio, just stronger, he's not that hard to play around

i hate that super high HP fighting type out there, that thing is seriously annoying

UltiMario

Out of Obscurity
NNID
UltiMario
3DS FC
1719-3180-2455
Except Dugtrio can't trap everything.

Also Roopushin is a Pokebro.

PowerBomb

Smash Master
Can anyone see shenanigans with Lucario and Zoroark? They both learn Nasty Plot and can mess with the opponent. You sent in Lucario (Zoroark), and the opponent sends end some physical counter, allowing you to Plot, Flamethrower, and punch some holes. When Zoroark is gone, you send out Lucario to physically sweep.

Not sure how well it would do, but I think it'd be fun.

mood4food77

Smash Hero
i almost got 6-0'd by one cause i thought it was shandera with flame body

it's pretty much the only gimmick that will ever work cause it changes its name in the process too

kirbyraeg

Smash Hero
Can anyone see shenanigans with Lucario and Zoroark? They both learn Nasty Plot and can mess with the opponent. You sent in Lucario (Zoroark), and the opponent sends end some physical counter, allowing you to Plot, Flamethrower, and punch some holes. When Zoroark is gone, you send out Lucario to physically sweep.

Not sure how well it would do, but I think it'd be fun.
I saw a lead Zoroark, but it looked like an Infernape. My lead starmie killed it with hydro pump.
:awesome:

Wave⁂

Smash Legend
What's the best thing a Zoroak could transform into in terms of mindgames? That pure Flying genie? Zapdos, maybe?

mood4food77

Smash Hero
it'd be annoying as hell, cause then you'd think it's a ditto, then it's not a ditto, it's a zoroark

but i <3 my denchura lead, i'm ranked 31 on the tr server

PowerBomb

Smash Master
Maybe I'll try out Zoroark. It can certainly take advantage of Lucario's unpredictability to punch holes in an opponents team. Then you send out Lucario to clean up.

It scares the Ghost/Water-type and Blissey won't want to switch in due to fear of Close Combat. Roopushin is still a problem though :/

What deals with Roopushin? Shandera if it doesn't have Payback?

Circa

Smash Champion
NNID
timssu
3DS FC
1891-2120-4792
Doryuuzu(Mole) is very annoying, anyone have any good counters for him?
I know I'm a little late on this, but here's an option.

Breloom @ Leftovers
Adamant / Technician
12 HP / 252 Atk / 244 Def
- Spore
- Mach Punch
- Bullet Seed / Stun Spore
- Stone Edge / Rock Slide

This gives you maximum physical bulk you'd really want, and when paired with Leftovers it makes for a nearly perfect Doryuuzu counter. +2 Adamant LO X-Scissor deals 87.1%, which is just enough to let you survive through both SR and Sandstorm. This then gives you the freedom to use Spore in the event that you still don't know whether or not Shandera is on their team (or that it is and not dead yet). Bullet Seed has a minimum of 75 base power with Technician (up to a maximum of 187.5), making it the much better option over Seed Bomb which always sits at 80. Stone Edge is just for predicting counters.

Another option for this set is to run Stun Spore instead of Bullet Seed, which in turn lets Breloom become an extremely effective lure. Part of me actually highly recommends doing that, although it's really up to you. Rock Slide is only recommended if you decide to run Stun Spore instead of Bullet Seed.

Even if you use the set NOT as a Doryuuzu counter it's still pretty usable. Just change the defensive EVs to either almost all in HP (I like a spread of 248 HP / 252 Atk / 8 Spe personally) or all in Speed. I also want to point out giving it Expert Belt with that change, which lets you OHKO Doryuuzu 100% of the time if it decides to come in on you to revenge kill or something. Plus it lets you bluff a Choice item. So yeah.:\

PowerBomb

Smash Master
I just got stalled out by a Sableye. I had 4 Pokemon, but he had Toxic Spikes.

If only Garchomp wasn't haxed out. **** you Gamefreak. I mad.

TLMSheikant

Smash Master
I got swept by a scarf ditto because I lost my revenger earlier and he copied my +1 dragon dance +1 earthquake spiral mence :(. Im SUPER MAD at gamefreak.

Zook

Perpetual Lazy Bum
Desukan @ Leftovers
Mummy / Bold
252 Hp / 252 Def / 4 SpA
-Calm Mind
-Rest
-Shadow Ball
-HP Fighting

****, this set has worked wonders for me so far. Come out on a physical attacker, boost up, tank it out. Also works as a Shanderaa bait/counter if he's set up a CM.

mood4food77

Smash Hero
the mummy really wants focus blast, it's seriously the only thing holding him back

cause he can run that set so much better with it, and he also can use a evil eye/will-o-wisp combo if he had focus blast

also, does anyone else think that it's annoying on PO that when you use ditto and the opponent has hidden power that it always shows up dark even when it's not

Moozle

Smash Champion
Evil eye is great with toxic spikes on the field, too. The one thing that I think would make Desukan way better is if mummy worked whenever he got attacked, not just physically attacked.

Wrath`

Smash Master
Do you think /TR/ will eventually remove all non released DW Abilities? Or is this just a giant therymon testing ground server.

UltiMario

Out of Obscurity
NNID
UltiMario
3DS FC
1719-3180-2455
There will probably always be some sort of ladder with everything.

PowerBomb

Smash Master
I just won a tournament on Shuttle Loop. It's more active than I've seen Machamp's Pants be...

Deoxys-A is really aggravating to face, especially if he's a lead.

UltiMario

Out of Obscurity
NNID
UltiMario
3DS FC
1719-3180-2455
Machamps pants had a period of like two days there were 20-30 people on at one time.

M.K

Level 55
I've played Gen V for a couple days now, i'm just gonna go through and list some points that I've noticed about the metagame:

-IMO, Burunkeru is completely overhyped, and Naetorri definitely is about as hyped as it should be. The two together...well actually nobody really uses them together from what I've seen. Not yet. People would rather have one or the other, but not both. Burunkeru is decent, don't get me wrong, but it literally only maybe spreads one status then is toast. Naetorri's typing is so good defensively. Since I run a Rain Dance team, it's way harder for me to hit it with a super-effective fire type move to kill it off and usually have to resort to neutral ice-types.

-Doryuzuu is not blowing me away like it probably should be. The best one I've faced took down 2 of my Pokemon (Politoed, Zapdos, Omastar, Sazando, Jaroda, Starmie). That Balloon item isn't fantastic. Maybe I face stupid people, but it breaks as soon as they switch in from some move. It's just whatever.

-Heatran is really easy to beat for a Rain Dance team <3 One Boil Over from a Politoed OHKOs it.

-Entry Hazards are not as prevalent. Also, rapid spinners are definitely nowhere near as prevalent.

-Omastar, and other Shell Smashers, are fantastic. I can't tell you the number of matches my Omastar has won for me. People tihnk that bringing in a Sand Streamer is gonna solve the Swift Swim problem, but it doesn't. After a Shell Smash, Omastar's speed still reaches a very nice 418 WITHOUT Swift. Let me get more than one Shell Smash, will you? You're dead.

-Perversity Jaroda is fun fun. Hard to set up, for me at least. Usually since he's faster, the Sub is broken almost immediately. >.> Sometimes you gotta take 1 hit and get that first LS going for those +2 Sp. Attack boosts. It's really nice.

-I don't see alot of Onokokosu. Seem underwhelming.

-Scizor is still good.

D

Deleted member

legitimate question: what really beats 5th gen suicune? suicune was a tip top poke for 2nd and 3rd gen, but fell a good bit for 4th gen. after playing it for the last 3 months, i've decided that suicune is what good players use when they want to win. when ou's top 5 was scizor, heatran, salamence, tyranitar, and gyarados, suicune was a lot of fun to use.

suicune really only loses to boosted grass knot or explosion. it seems like 5th gen removed both to some extent. water absorb helps vs gyarados on paper too if we ever get it formally. its not like me to stab at theory, but what does everyone else think? suicune looks really good on paper for the new games. also, did a 100/115/115 CM user really need boiling water?

Moozle

Smash Champion
I have Suicune on my team and it has helped me a lot. I use a kind of strange set with Boiling water / Ice beam / Calm mind / Reflect but it seems to work well and is a great help with taking out all of the dragons running around. I've only seen like 2 gyarados in all my battles so far.

The stupidest thing i've seen (and i've seen it quite a bit) is Manaphy. Tailglow + immediate full heal from rest because of hydration + boost in STAB from rain is so dumb. The only thing I can do is sacrifice blissey (because this thing even tears through blissey) for 1 seismic toss and then switch in roobushin for the KO with banded mach punch.

mood4food77

Smash Hero
suicune gets beat by toxic, that's really it

a bulky water with toxic is really how you beat it, or use kingdra under rain

ditto is ****** everything due to it's ability and a lot of people consider it gay
i haven't been fazed by the metal mole, it's only beaten me once and that's cause i let politoad die too early and he had ttar left
that really high hp fighting type is the only thing my team loses to, it has guts and a really high attack to boot (higher than machamp's), i hate that thing

manaphy will probably get banned, it was bad enough last gen without infinite rain and now that tail glow is +3 SpA and infinite rain is everywhere, it's even dumber

denchura is awesome cause of it's 91% accurate thunder

lastly, shell break is the dumbest move in the game

Moozle

Smash Champion
Choice band Iron fist Roobushin with mach punch beats Doryuuzu and shell break Omastar/Cloyster. It's really good. Besides having mach punch, it has Drain punch which does a ton after iron fist + STAB. With drain punch + huge HP, it is actually really bulky and is good at taking out dragons who think they can just come in and revenge with an outrage.

Edit: I guess I might as well just post the set.

Roobushin@Choice Band
Iron Fist / Adamant
252 Hp / 252 attack / 4 Defense
~Mach punch
~Drain punch
~Payback
~Stone edge / Earthquake

Also beats other bulk up roobushin, which are the most common. The only problem is burunkeru, but that's not too hard to handle.

Terywj [태리]

Charismatic Maknae~
I love me some Bulk Up Zuruzukin. Lures in Fighting-type moves which I just switch in Robotnikmon or Shandera and start setting up. It's worked out pretty well for me, especially with the right EV investment Zuruzukin can take hits like a champ.

UltiMario

Out of Obscurity
NNID
UltiMario
3DS FC
1719-3180-2455
Why is everything faster than my 252 Speed Gengar.
Maybe it's not timid, or Pokemon are scarfed?

denchura is awesome cause of it's 91% accurate thunder

lastly, shell break is the dumbest move in the game
Lol@ Denchura being awesome (Only thing it has going for it is Thunder. It's worthless otherwise, and with that, it's STILL worthless.)

Lol@ a team with no priority. Seriously, Shell Breakers get ***** by Priority, and Cloyster can only set up on Neutral or resisted Physical attacks. Other Shell Breakers have other issues, mostly with speed. (+2 Spe at Base 55 =/= fast)

Top Bottom